Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
:siren: Sign-Ups are Open! :siren:

Kudos to Generation Internet for unwittingly allowing me to steal this banner.

Yeah it's that time of year again, but now with a twist. Brand new LPer, brand new participatory Let's Play of Combat Mission: Black Sea, but instead of Goons going head to head it'll be Goons going up against... ME.

Woah, wait, won't that be unfair?
Hopefully not! I'll explain in a moment. First, I have to finish a little bit more of this introduction!

What is CM:BS?
Combat Mission: Black Sea is a game that represents a modern conventional land conflict between NATO and Russia at the Battalion or lower level. Control goes right on down to the Squad/Fireteam level, and you can have drones, tanks, and AFVs of all kinds in support. Needless to say combat in this game is fast and lethal. It can be played pausable Real Time, but in my opinion it actually shines in a kind of WEGO system where both sides submit orders for a turn representing 1 minute of time, and the game executes both players' orders simultaneously. As factions, the game has the Ukraine, Russian Federation, and the U.S. in the role of NATO. The game assumes the conflict is taking someplace in the Ukraine, but with such a great Scenario Editor, you're only limited to your imagination and the tilesets available (no deserts in this game, AFAIK).

I'll be running this LP via the Hotseat/PBEM multiplayer function, submitting orders for both sides. Updates will be mostly screenshots with captions written beneath, along with any fluff text or extra information that needs to be passed on.

Seriously, how is this going to be fair?
A couple reasons. First off, I'm going to be a GM first and foremost, and roleplay whichever faction Goons are facing off with. I don't want to just gently caress you every mission, because that wouldn't be fun. Second, in support of the first, I'll be setting up a plan at the very beginning before I know what all of you will be doing, and doing my best to keep it in line with what I know of the antagonist faction's doctrine -- only tweaking the plan to the antagonist commander's "personality" which I can describe in one or two words (Cautious, Overly Aggressive, etc.). At the end of the mission, I'll even post up the plan I used for full transparency.

If you've ever played a tabletop RPG, you know my role -- I'm roleplaying your enemies, but I'm not out to get you, and I'm tryign to model their actions off of equally incomplete information.

Why not use the AI instead, or use Goons?
I think it's necessary for an LP like this that I run the antagonist faction, because the AI is both strangely omniscient on occasion as well as dumb as a box of rocks most other times. The AI is terrible at assault and maneuver in particular, and the scripting functions that come with the scenario editor aren't terribly powerful if you want a reactive AI. Scripting this AI to be competent at anything but defense-in-place is very difficult.

AI difficulties aside, the reason I don't want two different teams of goons is two-fold: I want to avoid malicious cheating, and I want an LP to actually finish for once instead of seeing it get bogged down as one side or the other loses hope and abandons ship. At least with one side being the GM, we can scrap a mission, and start a new one with any fixes we want to apply to make this process more fun and more efficient.

That said, here's a list of other Combat Mission LPs that were goon-on-goon.

OK, I'm in. How does this all work?

You DO NOT require the game to participate, nor do you need any experience. Orders will be pretty simple/straightforward, and if it becomes an issue I'll provide an orders template for you. Just title your post as ORDERS so I can find it easily. Just keep in mind that the more complicated you make your orders, the more likely it is I'll mess them up. Also, your units won't always respond to orders given/complete orders given since turns use up 1 minute of time. During that minute, I cannot give new orders, so take that into account.

In Summary on Orders:
Make them as legible as possible.
Take into account that you can only give orders once every minute in-game.
Understand certain mechanics may prevent your units from completing or responding to your orders (i.e. they're pinned, panicked, etc.)

Every mission I will be changing the Order of Battle, so you'll need to sign up for a position all over again if you want command of something. If you've played on the most recent mission, please wait 24 hours after sign-ups to take the freshly-opened slots to give new guys a chance to play.

There will be various votes to determine the next mission, what faction we'll play, and votes to determine what the theater is doing overall.

In fact, I have the first mission ready now. My next post will have the details and relevant intel.

Updates:
Orders Post
Mission 1: Highway Checkpoint (GoonFor as U.S. / Platoon+ on assault)
Update One
Intel Update
Informational Update

Edit: For clarity on some topics.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Giving Orders
  • You can only give them once per minute/turn (between turns)
  • Sometimes your units will disobey orders/not complete orders by the end of the turn due to time constraint (turns are 1 minute long) or a mechanical effect happens to them (i.e. Pinned, Panic, etc.)
  • Make them as clear as possible, I'd recommend using any of the following commands to make that easier, but if you don't I'll do my best. These are direct commands in-game.

Specific Commands:
Move
Infantry, they walk and maintain unit cohesion as they go from A to B (start to waypoint). They have pretty good awareness, but this command is usually used when they don't expect to take fire. It is not tiring to infantry. If a unit using the Move command is fired at, they will try to evade or change their movement order (i.e. change it to Fast, or they will go to ground as they become Pinned.)
Vehicles, the vehicles use slow speed and the crew will unbutton to poke their heads out to see he world a bit better. Evasive maneuvers and change of order type also applies here if they take fire. They'll pop smoke, re-button, or speed up and may even change direction entirely.

Quick
Infantry will move at a jog, and emphasizes speed more than cover, cohesion, or awareness, but it is not a flat-out run. It is tiring, but can be sustainable for longer periods -- at least for fit soldiers. If they are fatigued they may not be able to use this command.
Vehicles will go at medium speed, emphasizing arriving at the waypoint quickly over returning fire (though they might, rather inaccurately).

Fast
Infantry Will run as fast as they can to the waypoint at the cost of fatigue and awareness -- especially to their flanks and rear. They are very unlikely to return fire, change movement or direction, and they will not reload if it's relevant (as with MG teams, AT Teams, etc.). Fatigue restricts this command for infantry.
Vehicles They move at their maximum speed, and their awareness is very low. If infantry are being carried or if certain components are damaged, a vehicle won't be able to move at Fast speed.

Slow
Infantry Equivalent of a Crawl command. Soldiers will move slowly, often prone, maximizing cover and concealment at the expense of speed and fatigue. Slow-moving infantry will return fire or fire at exposed enemies often, but will "shoot and scoot". This is very tiring, recommended only for the most tacticool of maneuvers or just short distances.
Vehicles The vehicle will move at walking speed, often useful to maximize awareness as you clear around corners or to keep up with infantry as opposed to sprinting ahead of them.

Hunt
Infantry the unit will maximize awareness, advancing slowly with weapons ready. When they spot an enemy unit, or if they're shot at, the unit will stop IMMEDIATELY. This is a great command for when enemy contact is imminent, but can be tiring. Infantry who get too tired will stop for about 90 seconds before proceeding with the rest of the hunt order. Also good for clearing out houses you aren't sure have enemy infantry in them.
Vehicles Same as infantry.

Assault
Infantry Infantry SQUADS only can use this command, and requires a minimum headcount. Squads will utilize "leapfrog" movement, bounding toward the enemy with an element on overwatch. The Moving element utilizes FAST speed. They'll take turns until they reach their destination. It may also be useful to clear out buildings. Typically, an assault is used in the face of enemy fire.

Blast
Infantry Infantry units with demo charges blast a hole through a wall, including a building's wall. If given at long distance, they'll blast a NEARBY wall that interrupts their movement. Best used when the unit is on an opposite side of the wall, and you order the blast command through it, ensuring the correct section is blown up. The time it takes to make the breach varies based on unit experience and can vary from one minute to multiple minutes before detonation actually occurs.

Mark Mines
Infantry Engineers will try to detect and mark hidden minefields so that other units are aware of them, allowing SLOW movement through minefields.

Reverse
Vehicles A simple back-up command, useful for pulling away from the enemy without exposing your flanks or rear to the enemy at your front.

Combat Commands are the following, and pretty self-explanatory:

Target, Target Briefly, Target Light (no heavy weapons used), Target Arc, Target Arc Light, Clear Target, Face, Target Smoke, Target Armor Arc.

Special commands are the following:
Deploy Weapon, Hide, Dismount, Bail Out, Acquire, Pop Smoke, Pause, Open Up.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

480m x 480m Map
SITUATION
The Ukraine has become a flashpoint in June 2017. The Russian Federation declared an official state of war, and has proceeded with an invasion of the Ukraine, citing territorial claims and moral obligations to former Russian nationals in the region. Within two weeks, NATO deployed its own forces to counter the Russian thrusts. In the south, Task Force Lightning has just assembled on the 15th of June. Its goal: to counter-attack into the Russian Guards divisions that are attempting to close the gap between Russia and the Crimea, thus pocketing Russian and Pro-Russian militias in the peninsula.

After a brutal air campaign the last two nights, the Russians have been forced to regroup along Highway M14. They have erected temporary checkpoints along this critical road, and TF-Lightning Command has determined that before it can proceed with the counter-attack these checkpoints must be destroyed and cleared of mines. It has dispatched a reinforced stryker platoon from G Company to complete this task.

MISSION
At 1115 Hours, 1st Platoon, G Coy., of Task Force Lightning is to ASSAULT and SEIZE OpFor checkpoint designated OBJ KATY No Later Than 1200 Hours. It is then to DEFEND IN PLACE until the arrival of Task Force engineers and follow-on forces.

FRIENDLY FORCES
1st Platoon
  • 1st Platoon CMD and Forward Observer team.
  • 1st Squad, M320 GL, HMG Stryker
  • 2nd Squad, M320 GL, HMG Stryker
  • 3rd Squad, M320 GL, HMG Stryker
  • 4th Squad, 2x M240L Machine Guns, Mk.19 Stryker
2nd Platoon No HQ, half-strength
  • 1st Squad, M25 CDTE, HMG Stryker
  • 2nd Squad, M110 CSASS, M25 CDTE, HMG Stryker

ENEMY FORCES
One Rifle Platoon with MMG and 2 BMPs in support. They are in prepared positions, facing North along the MSR. They are believed to be occupying OBJ KATY directly, along with the hill across from the Objective as well as the hill south of the Objective. Due to a simultaneous air raid, it is considered highly unlikely this checkpoint will receive any reinforcements.

As well, Task Force Lightning is seemingly dominating electronic warfare at present. Enemy will be unable to contact reinforcements, air support, or artillery support. They are truly isolated.

PLAN
Execution up to mission commander.

NOTES
45 Minute time limit. (45 Turns)
Good weather, gentle winds from the west.
NATO is dominating electronic warfare at present, mucking up OpFor signals.

Edit: Posted up a scale for the map.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 21, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
I hate quad-posting, but since it's been about 12 hours I figured I'd drop something I planned to drop anyway. There has already been a sign-up, so this will be useful to them.

Near the beginning of every scenario we play, there will be an intel update. Sometimes, they may even happen in the middle of the scenario, depending on goon assets and any story needs. Usually I'll let you try to specify what you want to know, but this is the "Getting acquainted" mission.

Intel Update
These were provided courtesy of a drone earlier this morning.

The barricade, just outside of OBJ Katy, facing north along the highway. Spotted here is a fireteam equipped with an RPG in foxholes, with two temporary sandbag barricades manned by machine gun teams.

Overlooking the road on a small rise, the Russians have dug some foxholes. Looks to be a squad with and RPG, and probably a supporting LMG in the mix somewhere.

OBJ Katy, with the BMP in the front yard staring down the road. The Russians have set up some sandbags out front as well.

After this, the UAV had to head home. The Russians noticed it and had begun to take shots. There is a second BMP currently unaccounted for.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'm in as the Platoon Leader. Let's get this poo poo off the ground!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Are the strikers separate units or are they considered part of the rifle squad they're attached to?

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Are the strikers separate units or are they considered part of the rifle squad they're attached to?

They're attached to the squad.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
What the hell, I'll sign up. Zero Combat Mission experience so this should go loving terribly perfectly fine.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hell yeah another Combat Mission LP count me in I'll take second squad, second platoon. Though with no platoon command for 2nd Platoon does that mean we follow 1st Platoon's HQ for orders or are we autonomous?

Also I got no fear that you might try to cheat, I doubt anyone would start an LP with that purpose as if they got found out I doubt anyone would take part again.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Das Panzer posted:

What the hell, I'll sign up. Zero Combat Mission experience so this should go loving terribly perfectly fine.

That's the spirit!

Just to stress this for everyone, you don't need any experience with Combat Mission.

koolkevz666 posted:

Hell yeah another Combat Mission LP count me in I'll take second squad, second platoon. Though with no platoon command for 2nd Platoon does that mean we follow 1st Platoon's HQ for orders or are we autonomous?

Also I got no fear that you might try to cheat, I doubt anyone would start an LP with that purpose as if they got found out I doubt anyone would take part again.

Glad you're joining in!

Yeah, 1st Platoon HQ is in charge for this mission. 2nd Platoon is considered to be attached.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 21, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
As the loser in a prior Goons vs. One game (of DC Barbarossa) I've signed up for Weapons to encourage the concept!

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

As the loser in a prior Goons vs. One game (of DC Barbarossa) I've signed up for Weapons to encourage the concept!

We'll (hopefully) have more than just one mission; I plan for these to get a bit bigger in scale than platoon-size. Sorry to hear you lost your previous one, but welcome aboard!

EDIT: Now that some time has passed since creation of the thread, I'm just now thinking up better titles. "The Goons Awaken" was all I could think up for hours. Staircase wit! :argh:

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 22, 2017

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
All right, I'm in. Took first platoon, second squad since it has the fewest number of fancy weapons that my inexperienced rear end can squander is lean and mean!

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Welcome aboard, Monkeytime!

There are still a couple slots open, but we should start pretty soon.

What information and/or screenshots would you guys like? I think I can put up another post tomorrow evening of the lay of the land and more info on the units you'll be using, but if you have any specific requests I'd be happy to hear them.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Sure, I'll lead some pixel men into glory or death (mostly just death)

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Snagged the last open spot, like most new commanders I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Added Space posted:

Snagged the last open spot, like most new commanders I have no idea what I'm doing.

Welcome aboard! I looked at the spreadsheet, noticed you said you snagged the last spot but didn't see your name, so I added you myself. I believe the same was true of Davin Valkri as well.

Since we have everyone aboard and because I promised yesterday, a quick informational post should follow in the next couple of hours. There's already a bit of info up as well, so feel free to start planning if you so wish.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Your deployment zone! You can have your units placed anywhere in the blue area, including facing.

Shown here is the HMG Stryker and a normal squad. For this mission, every squad excepting Weapons, and Command/Forward Observers will look like this. No squads in this mission have Breach charges, though certain common kinds of U.S. infantry can come with them. They do come with a disposable AT-4 launcher for close encounters with vehicles.

Then we have the Mk.19 Stryker, carrying both the Weapons squad (with two medium machine guns), and the command element which includes the Platoon Commander's team and the Forward Observer pair. The Mk.19 for those who don't know is an automatic grenade launcher. If it catches infantry or an unwary light vehicle out in the open, it will tear them apart. The HMG Strykers carry .50 Cals, which while they don't do AOE damage, still do a good job of shredding infantry and penetrating light armor assets. For this mission, there isn't any artillery support, but the Platoon Commander can deploy a little quad-copter drone called the Raven.

Questions? Concerns? Get a-plannin'! If you need any other pictures of the battlefield prior to the mission fully starting, let me know.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
First Squad Orders

Right, first squad! Draw up infantry and Stryker support at the edge of the woods left (from our point of view) from the southern clearing, mounted in Stryker. Squad is to continue on southwards as planned, staying on the opposite side of the hill from CP Katy, wrapping around instead of crossing over the top, assuming the hill fully blocks sight. If this is not the case, instead divert to the southern woodlands. After either circling the hill, or entering the woods, dismount and retrieve one javelin and reload, as well as one AT4, and proceed forward with the Stryker using the [hunt] command.

Das Panzer fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

I grab a marker and a laminated map "Sergeants, gather round"

"We're gonna do this in five phases."

"First, make sure that your guys grab the Javelin ATGM launchers and one of the reloads before they dismount. [Use the ACQUIRE command for this]"

Phase 1

"Das Panzer, you're in the north. Monkeytime, the center. Viking_Helmet, the south. Davin and Platoon HQ in the center. Added Space and Koolkevz, you're on the extreme southern edge of the line.

"Cautiously move up to the points I've marked her in your Strykers [I suggest your use the HUNT movement type]. If you spot any Russians, kill them, then keep moving. Once you get to your points, dismount your men."

"1st Platoon, move with me into the woods to our assault jump-off points. Davin deploy your MGs in the center with me."

"2nd Platoon. Added Space, you are going to be in the woods on our extreme left flank. Koolkevz, you're going to be moving to the forest to our south to provide overwatch from that direction."

Phase 2

"Das Panzer and Monkeytime, send your Strykers around the north. Do not expose them to excessive fire, just move enough enough to spot anything they've got in the forest across the road. If you see it, light it up with suppressive fire."

Phase 3
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/InFetTy.jpg[/img]

"1st Platoon infantry, light up the building for a minute. Then Das Panzer, Monkeytime, and Viking_Helmet, assault the building. Davin, Platoon HQ, and Koolkevz and Added Space will provide overwatch."

"1st Platoon Strykers, move forwards and engage the first Russians you spot."

Phase 4

"2nd Platoon Strykers and Koolkevz, move around our southern flank to provide fire support for our assault. Do this the moment you see 1st Platoon begin our attack."

Phase 5

'If needed, I'll send two of 1st Platoon's squads to assault the roadblock and the treeline. Everyone else will provide supressive fire to cover their attack."

"Questions, sergeants?"

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
For clarification: there is a tall wall along the back.

Your squads do not have breach charges, but you do have a couple of options -- you just cannot climb over it. Normally Breach charges would be fine, but at this moment if you want to knock it down, you'd probably want to use your Mk. 19 Stryker. Otherwise you boys have to go around.

I'll be adding a list of in-game commands to the second post of the thread.

I hope this is useful to you guys. Sorry I didn't think to provide these before.

Edited because this was really long and belongs to the second post in the thread now...

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 23, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
The Mk19 grenade launchers we have plus the other air burst grenade launchers can they fire in an arc over the walls and/or buildings?

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

The Mk19 grenade launchers we have plus the other air burst grenade launchers can they fire in an arc over the walls and/or buildings?

You just have the one Mk.19, and your other grenade launchers can't drop in over a wall, but they can shoot over the top and hit something solid depending on the situation (i.e. Wall, alley, Building, they hit building). If you're lucky, I have seen people behind a wall get fragged this way, it's just not very reliable.

Funnily enough, your CDTE-equipped boys actually specialize in shooting over the top of something and hurting/killing guys behind cover, but they need a specific target and their shots do not arc.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It's weird to see such a small-scale map after the last CM Let's Play. Too late to sign up, but I'll be watching this one closely!

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
So what are our effective options for dealing with the BMPs? Just the ATGM launchers?

I think it'd be helpful for all the first time players if we could get a run down of what equipment is available for each squad and what it's generally useful for.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Ah drat, missed the sign up. I love these CM LPs. Count me in as a backup if needed.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Barracuda, any adjustment to the plan given the wall at the back of the building or shall we proceed as ordered?

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Could we feasibly use Javelins to breach the rear wall? Or are those anti-vehicle only?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I don't know why y'all are clucking about BMPs when you have Javelins.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Pretty sure we have AT-4s, not Javelins. Also we're up against at least two BMP-3s, and those suckers can level buildings just by blowing up. This will be tricky, for sure.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Das Panzer posted:

Could we feasibly use Javelins to breach the rear wall? Or are those anti-vehicle only?

Anti-vehicle only. They patched out its use a suppressive weapon - which was hilarious.

Davin Valkri posted:

Pretty sure we have AT-4s, not Javelins. Also we're up against at least two BMP-3s, and those suckers can level buildings just by blowing up. This will be tricky, for sure.

There are Javelins in each Stryker. And extra ammo for your GLs, rifles, and MGs. In the future I will make sure to give the loadout of each vehicle; this time it slipped my mind (and surprised me! I never knew Strykers carried them.)

Viking_Helmet posted:

So what are our effective options for dealing with the BMPs? Just the ATGM launchers?

I think it'd be helpful for all the first time players if we could get a run down of what equipment is available for each squad and what it's generally useful for.

You also have AT-4s, the .50s on the Strykers and the Mk.19. Your own GLs could theoretically do the trick too, since they are literally the same munition as in the Mk.19, just much slower to fire. Any of these require you to be close to the BMP or in sight of it. The Javelins give you the best chance if they have the drop at range on the BMPs.

I can get a more detailed loadout for the squads tomorrow if you'd like.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
More detailed loadout for us newbies would be nice. AT-4s could still be situationally useful, but glad to hear we do in fact have javelins.

I don't suppose the soldiers can boost each other over the wall, though that's a terrible idea anyways.

Edit: upon further thoughts of ways to rid ourselves of our wall problem, can we just take a page out of the Russian Tanker's Handbook and run a Stryker through it?

Das Panzer fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 24, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Das Panzer posted:

More detailed loadout for us newbies would be nice. AT-4s could still be situationally useful, but glad to hear we do in fact have javelins.

I don't suppose the soldiers can boost each other over the wall, though that's a terrible idea anyways.

Edit: upon further thoughts of ways to rid ourselves of our wall problem, can we just take a page out of the Russian Tanker's Handbook and run a Stryker through it?

No boosting over walls. I don't believe Strykers can bust through even the low walls at speed but I could be incorrect. Worth an experiment when I get home tomorrow afternoon. I know the tall wall is too thick to bust through however. That said, like I mentioned in an above post somewhere, your Mk.19 can blast away a large section of wall if that's what you want.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

For references' sake, here's our Strykers. We have five with the HMG, and one with the Mk. 19 grenade launcher. The ones in the pictures given have ERA (explosive reactive armor, the stuff that looks like thick wall tiles on the front), but that may not be all of them.

And here's what our adversaries are bringing to the field, two BMP-3s. You can tell they're BMP-3s because their turrets have a big fuckoff tank-sized cannon (100mm) rather than just a long needle-like cannon (30mm). They may be BMP-3Ms, which can have ERA, Shtora anti-laser-guided-missile jammers, or Arena active protection systems (that blow incoming missiles out of the sky with a burst of buckshot-like explosives), but that only further pushes us to use the Javelins.

Incidentally, these suckers explode like holy toledo. If they blow up next to a weak building, it's entirely possible that the building will explode. It happened a few times in Grey Hunter's game.

Note that Nevermore said that platoon command has access to a Raven. That's a little baby drone that you can throw like a pusher plane and use to spot targets. We might want to get that up early to spot the BMP-3s.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

"Alright, change of plans. I've got updated intel there's a wall at the back of the compound. Similar pace of operations to our last plan."

"First, make sure that your guys grab extra AT4s the Javelin ATGM launchers and one of the reloads before they dismount. [Use the ACQUIRE command for this]. Viking_Helmet, you're going to want every AT4 you can get for breaching work."

Phase 1

"Viking_Helmet (3rd Squad) in the north. Monkeytime (2nd Squad), the center. Das Panzer (1st Squad), you're in the south. Davin (Weapons) and Platoon HQ in the center. Added Space (1-2nd) and Koolkevz (2-2nd), you're in the extreme north.

"Cautiously move up to the points I've marked her in your Strykers [I suggest your use the HUNT movement type]. If you spot any Russians, kill them, then keep moving. Once you get to your points, dismount your men."

"1st Platoon, move with me into the woods to our assault jump-off points. Davin deploy your MGs in the center with me."

"2nd Platoon. Added Space and Koolkevz you are going to be in the woods on our extreme northern flank."

Phase 2

"Only once everyone is in position do we carry out the next phase. I will give the order to execute. Do ALL of this at the same time"

"Viking_Helmet (3rd Squad) begin to move around the southern edge of the compound, engage any targets you see-- fire your AT4s and 40mm grenade launchers into the wall to breach it. Once the breach is made, radio me and 2nd Platoon, then assault through the breach into the compound and clear it."

"Monkeytime (2nd Squad), move up to join Das Panzer (1st Squad)."

"Once Viking_Helmet (3rd Squad) has made his breach, 1st Platoon Strykers form line abreast and move carefully [HUNT] west. Engage any targets you see. As soon as a target is ID'ed, I want half the Strykers to engage it with suppressive fire [use the TARGET command.]"

"Only once the the breach is complete, Added Space and Koolkevz, send your Strykers around the north. Do not expose them to excessive fire, just move enough enough to spot anything they've got in the forest across the road. If you see anything, light it up. Even if it their infantry duck down, keep hitting them with suppressive fire. [use the TARGET command for this]. If you can't see anything in the forest, then you can try to roll forwards and engage the men at the roadblock."

"Added Space and Koolkevz, once your Strykers are engaging targets and you've suppressed all the targets you can see, move your infantry to assault the northern part of the compound. Clear and secure the buildings."

Phase 3

"When I order, execute this phase."

"Once the compound is secure, we will move all our units into line and suppress the roadblock and the treeline. Once we have fire superiority, then Viking_Helmet (3rd Squad, Added Space, and Koolkevz will assault and clear the treeline."

"DO NOT CROSS THE ROAD NORTH OF THE ROADBLOCK. THERE ARE MINES THERE."

"Questions or comments?"

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 25, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Do we want to deploy the Raven from the word go? There's no intel on AAA/MANPADS assets in the area, and it could save us some grief finding the BMPs.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
It does run the risk of there being AAA at the CP. i might be thinking overly cautiously, but I'd save the Raven for early warning duties once we've captured the CP and have to switch to a holding pattern.

Also, taken from earlier:

Nevermore214 posted:

After a brutal air campaign the last two nights, the Russians have been forced to regroup along Highway M14. They have erected temporary checkpoints along this critical road, and TF-Lightning Command has determined that before it can proceed with the counter-attack these checkpoints must be destroyed and cleared of mines. It has dispatched a reinforced stryker platoon from G Company to complete this task.

Brutal air campaign could mean that because we've got them on the defensive, they'll be prepping, or have prepped, anti-air countermeasures.

Could also be something to take with a grain of salt since we DID get some aerial recon, but it could still be a factor.

That being said, editing my deployment post now to match Barracuda's plan of attack.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Do we want to deploy the Raven from the word go? There's no intel on AAA/MANPADS assets in the area, and it could save us some grief finding the BMPs.

Let's get her airborne, with an AREA mission centered just south of the roadblock.

MANPADs can't engage the Raven, only a Tunguska is able to do that.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 25, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This could be very cool. Following.

Question: will the opforce react to enginesounds? If so our strykers are probably going to alert the opforce the second we close. poo poo be loud.

Also we have the locations of where our enemies are set up. Can we tell which areas are deemed "clear" from enemy fortifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

No AA assets spotted at the checkpoint.

Affi posted:

Question: will the opforce react to enginesounds? If so our strykers are probably going to alert the opforce the second we close. poo poo be loud.

Also we have the locations of where our enemies are set up. Can we tell which areas are deemed "clear" from enemy fortifications?

They can react to engine sounds, yeah. It's entirely possible they may hear you approach.

As for the fortifications, the only fortifications known are the compound, the highway immediately adjacent to the compound, and the hill slightly behind the highway line. This was a position erected in the early hours of the morning.

When I get home today I'm going to triple-check a couple of things and also give you an absolute loadout of every vehicle and squad.

• Locked thread