Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
otoh that web design is more readable than 95% of tumblrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol they have special snowflake hardware machines for every task and they stand the whole shitshow up by hand

Veteran UNIX Administrators ladies and gnetlemen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Gentoo as shipped by the project is not server hardened c/d ?

Also do they provide a mortal alternative to stage 3 install and build from source or do you literally have to do that

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 22, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Perverse job security is real (in case u doubted)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gently caress SystemD

We've been saying for years that it is an intentional obfuscation of security holes.

Wikileaks confirmed this recently.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gazpacho posted:

gently caress SystemD

We've been saying for years that it is an intentional obfuscation of security holes.

Wikileaks confirmed this recently.

source your quotes

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah i've been looking at rpm tooling and it's complete poo poo. the tools for generating .rpm files are inextricably linked to red hat's internal processes and the existence of a fire wall between the software developer and the maintaner

"packaging development snapshots from git into rpms is easy! simply make a manual checkout by hand and upload it at a canonical url somewhere, then put that url in your spec file alongside a non-machine-readable comment saying what revision this was checked out from!"

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyFH-a-XoQ&t=66s

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but gentoo with systemd is awesome! it's a shame that gentoo gets stamped as an anti-systemd distro everywhere

~it's all about choice~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

freebsd has to be getting to be rare enough that no hackers would target it anymore at least

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

freebsd has to be getting to be rare enough that no hackers would target it anymore at least
holistically protect yourself by hiding in temple[os]

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's on every ps4

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FreeNAS uses it

carry on then posted:

it's on every ps4

I wonder if its biggest recent gains are from using it as more of the back-end of a complex product rather than interfacing with it directly.

I've had to use freebsd on the command line when helping out a friend and it's very similar to a frustrating dialect.... I had to look up how to do a lot of system administration tasks and the concepts are the same, but the implementation is slightly off. And then there's zfs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

el dorito posted:

I've had to use freebsd on the command line when helping out a friend and it's very similar to a frustrating dialect.... I had to look up how to do a lot of system administration tasks and the concepts are the same, but the implementation is slightly off. And then there's zfs.

As opposed to what, Linux? It's just more unix-y because well, it's an actual Unix.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use zfs on linux

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spankmeister posted:

As opposed to what, Linux? It's just more unix-y because well, it's an actual Unix.

I'm not arguing any of your points, but I was talking as a linux sysadmin getting used to freebsd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hifi posted:

i use zfs on linux

very nice

I'll stick to xfs for now though

maybe using zfs on linux would have ameliorated a lot of the frustrations I had with using zfs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
serious question why use xfs instead of ext4

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

it's the default on any of the rhel-likes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
okay, and...?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

okay, and...?

ext4 is fine

but why not use xfs?

especially if it's being pushed as the default filesystem

developers and distributors will eventually be testing and optimizing for xfs given time, I think

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

personally, I haven't had to do learn anything terribly new or change my sysadmin worldview since adopting xfs for most things

this is in stark contrast to systemd

I am not going to argue for or against systemd, but it's clearly different than sysV or upstart or etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

okay, and...?

that should be the only reason you need

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

xfs supports larger files and filesystems. something like 8 exbibytes max file size and 16 exbibytes for the filesystem vs 16tb / 1 exbitbyte for ext4. xfs allegedly scales better performance-wise than ext4 too.

i remember hearing a long time ago that xfs had problems with leaving huge zero-filled files after power-loss, but i guess that was fixed?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

el dorito posted:

pro tip: it's not FreeBSD's implementation that's "slightly off"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
XFS was also designed by people who knew what they were doing when it came to filesystems and operating systems at Silicon Graphics, just as ZFS was designed by such people at Sun

ext?fs is designed by Linux people for Linux

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I do have a Linux box, and I may switch it over to Fedora when I next upgrade it

I expect that'll be a good time to switch filesystems and stuff too

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eschaton posted:

pro tip: it's not FreeBSD's implementation that's "slightly off"

like I said above, "slightly off" just meant "different", not "wrong"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The_Franz posted:

xfs supports larger files and filesystems. something like 8 exbibytes max file size and 16 exbibytes for the filesystem vs 16tb / 1 exbitbyte for ext4. xfs allegedly scales better performance-wise than ext4 too.

i remember hearing a long time ago that xfs had problems with leaving huge zero-filled files after power-loss, but i guess that was fixed?

I hear that it's a problem as well, but I bet it's "working as intended" rather than "broken" in order to preserve data integrity or something of that nature

the internet says that crash-prone systems should probably stick to ext4 than switch to xfs

there are other benchmarks that put ext4 above xfs for some scenarios but, as you say, xfs is definitely more futureproof

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
just lmao if you're not usign APFS with your linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

i think the big thing on that is that xfs effortlessly scales to a bunch of parallel io (because it rather crudely just slice the disk up in pieces which get threads associated with them, very direct parallel operations follow at the cost of some up front fragmentation that more clever systems avoid). the rest is just the same advantages as ext4 really, old and well understood

so seems pretty clear-cut for rhel which is conservative but happy to run on fairly big machines

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*walks in, wearing official btrfs jorts* so,

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*walks in, wearing official btrfs jorts* so,

The worst mistake I've ever made was putting btrfs on an embedded device. Got frustrated about "no free space" errors that were not fixed by deleting massive amounts of data. Out of desperation, I added another block device and expanded the filesystem to it, which is actually a pretty neat feature. Later, I read the FAQ and it turns out that you need to add a special flag when making the filesystem if the device is smaller than 16GB.

In an unrelated story, I was surprised when I couldn't guess the filesystem of a drive that was in cold storage for half a decade. It wasn't encrypted... wasn't lvm2... wasn't ext2 or ext3...

it turns out that it was reisermurderfs :ms:

I think it was actually a pretty good filesystem when I used it... too bad that it was named after the author who was a crazed murdering sperglord

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i suspect it is old age and some engineering experience which has taken all will to experiment on anything but the safest options on this kind of stuff out of me

certainly filesystems don't get that exciting even when they are new (and supposedly exciting)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
"new"
btrfs making GBS threads up everything for 5 years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

i suspect it is old age and some engineering experience which has taken all will to experiment on anything but the safest options on this kind of stuff out of me

certainly filesystems don't get that exciting even when they are new (and supposedly exciting)

zfs was incredibly exciting (by filesystem standards) (in a good way) when it was new

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
murderfs was excitement city because you never knew if you'd get your files back

code:
    _____
  /~/~   ~\
 | |       \
 \ \  FILES \
  \ \        \
 --\ \       .\''
--==\ \     ,,i!!i,
    ''"'',,}{,,
 NINA REISER IS NOT
 BURIED IN MY BACKYARD
 BUT I WISH MY FILES WERE
 CAUSE REISERFS TOOK EM
 AWAY :(

quote:

<ScheisseGern> the hans reiser i knnow is not a murderer
<ScheisseGern> except for data

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

zfs is still exciting in the sense that people probably dont realize that ext has snapshots

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

hifi posted:

zfs is still exciting in the sense that people probably dont realize that ext has snapshots

does it? i thought not and all i see from a bunch of googling is a set of a patches that a storage vendor submitted upstream in 2011, but apparently werent accepted

and lvm "snapshots" dont count, those are nowhere near the functionality of what is offered by zfs or btrfs

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
does xfs support shrinking yet?

and yeah z and btrfs features are great, too bad btrfs is trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've never seen anything or anyone use ext snapshots ever. I don't even know if the functionality exists in major distros