Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jesus, they're airing the Cloudy movie 5 times next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The how to train your dragon thing moved over to Netflix and is getting infinitely renewed apparently, so they got that going.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Gaunab posted:

Jesus, they're airing the Cloudy movie 5 times next weekend.

actually heres the updated schedule (the previous schedule was showing this weekend)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

actually heres the updated schedule (the previous schedule was showing this weekend)

This is the most balanced CN's schedule has looked in months.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Has Canada ever made a good cartoon

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Clone High

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Those sad, single appearances of Justice League and PPG.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does Cybersix count? I think it was a Canada/Argentina/Japan collaboration. Also we gave you guys ReBoot.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
BEAST WARS

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Benne posted:

I maintain that Ed Edd and Eddy is underrated.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ed Edd n Eddy was Canadian, right?

e: beaten

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Those are all good choices but you fuckers still need to answer for Johnny Test

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mycot posted:

I maintain that Ed Edd and Eddy is underrated.

There is so something (everything?) about this show that just rubs me completely the wrong way and I've never been able to figure out why.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Beachcomber posted:

There is so something (everything?) about this show that just rubs me completely the wrong way and I've never been able to figure out why.

Is it Eddy's green tongue

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Benne posted:

Raccoons. Also that "The Cat Came Back" cartoon they used to show on Nickelodeon when I was a kid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beachcomber posted:

Question: do you not like Seinfeld either? If so, then maybe you don't like both shows because the main characters are horrible people. :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Ed, Edd, n' Eddy's character dynamic is Literally The Three Stooges so if you've got a problem with Eddy then you've got a problem with my main man Moe :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://youtu.be/oW9f04Dctz4

The National Film Board of Canada gave us some Cool poo poo. I remember Teletoon showing all these shorts really late at night, sometimes it's a cutely animated song, sometimes it's three minutes about animals dying of air pollution, and sometimes its abstract shapes eating each other.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

Question: do you not like Seinfeld either? If so, then maybe you don't like both shows because the main characters are horrible people. :v:

This checks out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I may have to revisit Ed Edd and Eddy some day, as a kid it just felt so weird and off-putting I don't even remember if it was good or not. (and I say that as someone who loved Seinfeld growing up)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Benne posted:

Those are all good choices but you fuckers still need to answer for Johnny Test

Season 1 of johnny test was kinda decent

Season 1 of johnny test was also not Canadian

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I don't have any opinion on Ed, Edd, and Eddy, since it was literally the only show I wasn't allowed to watch :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

YggiDee posted:

Does Cybersix count? I think it was a Canada/Argentina/Japan collaboration. Also we gave you guys ReBoot.

The Racoons was cool, but that's about it. You guys have poo poo out a lot of garbage, or at least that's all I see from the north these days. Anything good that's new from you guys?

Also with all of these 90s toons coming back I'm starting to wonder if Steven Spielberg will come back to toons. I've always wondered what his company would look like in the 2000s or even today.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did Spielberg actually do anything with those toons, or did he just have his name attached since Amblin was involved?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The how to train your dragon thing moved over to Netflix and is getting infinitely renewed apparently, so they got that going.

Is that any good? I remember enjoying the movies.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Benne posted:

Did Spielberg actually do anything with those toons, or did he just have his name attached since Amblin was involved?

I he probably had to approve stuff as he was a producer and I think he suggested some ideas but yeah from what I understand he was on the lower side of involved

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

VolticSurge posted:

Is that any good? I remember enjoying the movies.

Ehh. Tried it a few times, never caught my attention. At some point it timeskips to a year or two before the second movie.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I he probably had to approve stuff as he was a producer and I think he suggested some ideas but yeah from what I understand he was on the lower side of involved

Well, him and his whole animation department then. The Hub tried to just do this with Animaniac reruns and it didn't work. But I'd be curious to how he'd handle his love of old vintage animation in the age of CG/3d computer animation being dirt cheap and comedy standards just being different.

EDIT: Dragon Riders was a step down from the Kung Fu Panda toon because some of it was just angry old man runs almost successful scam while other episodes tried to go somewhere in building something of a plot. So I guess it was a generic piece of nothing but no where near as offensive as the sony poo poo that's on right now. But apparently the Netflix poo poo is an entire 3 year time skip and almost nothing to do with the CN flop?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Benne posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Crabtree posted:

EDIT: Dragon Riders was a step down from the Kung Fu Panda toon

But wasn't the Kung Fu Panda cartoon pretty bad? I never watched it, but I heard...colorful things about it from one of my friends,who's a fan of the movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VolticSurge posted:

But wasn't the Kung Fu Panda cartoon pretty bad? I never watched it, but I heard...colorful things about it from one of my friends,who's a fan of the movies.

I watched a few episodes of it when it first came on, and... it wasn't bad? And the theme song was pretty amusing. But holy poo poo was everything after the theme song just a boring, forgettable, nothing of a show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, Dreamworks at least puts enough effort into its cartoon spinoffs to make them watchable. I didn't really need to see HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda expanded into TV shows, but they're totally decent and inoffensive, the kind of thing kids would love to binge on a weekend. They're certainly better than the Cloudy poo poo CN is desperately pushing right now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pakled posted:

Eh only Eddy of the titular trio is particularly awful, and even he has some justification for that

Benne posted:

Yeah, Dreamworks at least puts enough effort into its cartoon spinoffs to make them watchable. I didn't really need to see HTTYD or Kung Fu Panda expanded into TV shows, but they're totally decent and inoffensive, the kind of thing kids would love to binge on a weekend. They're certainly better than the Cloudy poo poo CN is desperately pushing right now.

I'm still amazed we never got a Megamind show, you'd think it would be the perfect DreamWorks movie to expand into a show(at least of the ones they've done since switching to CG, if we include all their movies than I'd say Road To El Dorado would be even better for it)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why Road to el Dorado when you can just preboot Mysterious Cities of Gold.

As for Amblin/Spielberg, everyone loves Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures, but remember they're responsible for Histeria! and Road Rovers (aka The Might Ducks of the Kids WB block).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dreamworks Dragons is actually pretty good once it gets going. The first few episodes of the first season follow the formula "Dragons are doing something unexpected, how can we live with them?!" "Oh wait Hiccup figured it out the day is saved!" However, that only goes on for I think six episodes? Eventually the old bastard trying to sabotage the dragons just straight up betrays Berk and becomes a non factor pretty soon after that. Once that ends, the dragon riders face a series of escalating villains as the seasons go on. They ramp up fairly well to the villain in HTTYD 2, which takes place after both the CN and Netflix eras.

They also have most of the movie voice cast since they don't have star cameos like Kung Fu Panda.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 24, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Eh only Eddy of the titular trio is particularly awful, and even he has some justification for that

I concur: Eddy was the way he was because he was trying to live up to an unhealthy me-versus-the-world mentality that he ascribed to power over others, the mentality instilled in him by his older brother, who is such an abusive rear end in a top hat even the Kankers think he goes too far, which is the real reason that the cul-de-sac is afraid in the episode where Eddy makes them think he's coming back - Eddy mistakes it for Awe but it's just fear of a bully who has long since passed thankfully into local legend. He's making up for perceived shortcomings by trying to poo poo on everyone else the way his brother poo poo on him, although because he isn't big enough for physical bullying he misbehaves in more insidious ways through financial fleecing.

Ed is loyal to him out of not knowing any better, and Edd (I feel) only hangs around so that Eddy doesn't completely self-destruct, which would take the undeserving Ed down with him, as with Edd around he at least has some semblance of a conscience, even if it's one he doesn't listen to. Also his mechanical prowess means that the scams at least work most of the time so as not to hurt the other kids.

Hell, even the Kankers may be reacting to bad home lives. They have one mum, but three dads and the only thing we ever see of them are monogrammed bathrobes. I always read that as the respective fathers being a brief flame with their mother, before breaking up, maybe out of a fear of responsibility. The Kanker's obsession with the Eds could be a reaction to them always being around in a way that their fathers are not - they are seeking stability in a self-defeating way to try to avoid becoming their mother, and their mother is probably working so many jobs to look after them she's just never there to take the edge off.

Kevin has no excuse however. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 24, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FilthyImp posted:

Why Road to el Dorado when you can just preboot Mysterious Cities of Gold.

As for Amblin/Spielberg, everyone loves Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures, but remember they're responsible for Histeria! and Road Rovers (aka The Might Ducks of the Kids WB block).

Cause El Dorado is one of Dreamworks best movies

Also how could you forget about Freakazoid

BioEnchanted posted:

I concur: Eddy was the way he was because he was trying to live up to an unhealthy me-versus-the-world mentality that he ascribed to power over others, the mentality instilled in him by his older brother, who is such an abusive rear end in a top hat even the Kankers think he goes too far, which is the real reason that the cul-de-sac is afraid in the episode where Eddy makes them think he's coming back - Eddy mistakes it for Awe but it's just fear of a bully who has long since passed thankfully into local legend. He's making up for perceived shortcomings by trying to poo poo on everyone else the way his brother poo poo on him, although because he isn't big enough for physical bullying he misbehaves in more insidious ways through financial fleecing.

Ed is loyal to him out of not knowing any better, and Edd (I feel) only hangs around so that Eddy doesn't completely self-destruct, which would take the undeserving Ed down with him, as with Edd around he at least has some semblance of a conscience, even if it's one he doesn't listen to. Also his mechanical prowess means that the scams at least work most of the time so as not to hurt the other kids.

Hell, even the Kankers may be reacting to bad home lives. They have one mum, but three dads and the only thing we ever see of them are monogrammed bathrobes. I always read that as the respective fathers being a brief flame with their mother, before breaking up, maybe out of a fear of responsibility. The Kanker's obsession with the Eds could be a reaction to them always being around in a way that their fathers are not - they are seeking stability in a self-defeating way to try to avoid becoming their mother, and their mother is probably working so many jobs to look after them she's just never there to take the edge off.

Kevin has no excuse however. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Exactly

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Yes and no: Most of the crew on the Amblin/Spielberg shows were involved in those two (they both were even created by Tom Ruegger, who was the creator of most of the Amblin/Spielberg shows), but neither involved Amblin/Spielberg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't hear Lemongrab without thinking of Mr. Meeseeks anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I watched the EE&E movie finale a while back and I get what it was going for in giving the trio a happy ending, but the way they arrived at it felt kind of unearned.