Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I forgot just how hard the early game is in this. I'm running around in my (absolutely tiny) wolf pack luring pirate fleets into patrols and mopping up the remains, trying to scrounge up pennies and stockpiling fuel for the day I eventually leave Jangala. I'm just waiting to get something I can haul cargo in before I spread my wings and reach out to the galaxy.

Speaking of Jangala, it's amazing to me that the starting sector has enough content to keep me entertained for hours while I build my fleet.

Are there any skills I should absolutely invest in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a way to see the range of your active sensor burst or other stuff? (in a visualization, not just a number)

The reason there isn't is because sensors work by the sum of the sensor strength and the detectee's signal size, so a ring of one size wouldn't really work. Plus I think there's some sort of signal noise thing, but don't quote me on that.

fake edit: originally, this read "don't quote moe on that."

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I really don't like how attacking pirates will sometimes just scatter their fleet all over the map and not do anything til you've burned all your cr trying to find them.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Is there no way to fully remove the "dmod" from some ships? I bought a dmod eagle and paid a crap ton to remove the damage but the total ordinance points was still less that that of a completely "new" hull. What am I misunderstanding?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Click restore in the refit screen. It's a button in the lower left.

E: I think that there's two eagle variants. One explicitly has fewer op and less plating near the engine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

fishhooked posted:

Is there no way to fully remove the "dmod" from some ships? I bought a dmod eagle and paid a crap ton to remove the damage but the total ordinance points was still less that that of a completely "new" hull. What am I misunderstanding?

Take a look at the sprite. There's a piratey damaged version of a lot of ships and it's never going to be as good as a regular one, regardless of how many d mods you remove. It should also stay <ship type> (D) after restoration.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

John_A_Tallon posted:

If you don't want them you will do better if you scuttle them in the fleet menu. The value of the supplies and fuel you get back is almost always more than what you would get selling [D] hulls.

Do you get more doing that than you do simply salvaging the thing in the first place?

Also what is the value for each level for faction rep?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ever since they added politics and commissions I've never seen a map where every faction didn't quickly become hostile to nearly every other faction pretty quickly and then just stay that way. I'd love access to some of these military markets but not at the expense of being locked out of 75% of the remaining markets.

There's also still this problem with the jump from a mostly frigate and destroyer fleet up to your first cruisers in that your crew/supply needs jump way the hell up yet cruisers don't seem to punch that well. I bought a lovely eagle and filled it up with anti-armour weapons. I'd pop in with my medusa and take down shields and hope the eagle would finish off the hull. The problem is it's never aggressive enough, and even when it's pounding away at a helpless overloaded enemy it's not really doing much more damage than my destroyer. Of course it has way more health than my destroyer, I guess that's it's job to "tank" the enemy fleet rather than deal raw damage.

Still, a couple destroyers on either side of a ship seem to be worth 2 cruisers on the same side of the enemy.

Also, speaking of enemies that can take a pounding that new cruiser-sized carrier sure is tough. I've got 3 medusas with heavy blasters and we surrounded one of these carriers while it was helpless and just wailed away at it, barely dented it. Most ships go down pretty fast once the shields are gone and it's out of flux but these carriers have some sort of super armour. What's the best way to deal with that? Even my cruisers with 100% anti-armour weapons couldn't dent it. The enemy had 2 eagles which went down fast once surrounded.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cruisers aren't bigger hammers to hit things with. They're anvils for your smaller craft to smash things into. They're also big tough bricks for your destroyers to duck behind and vent. If you're not engaging in big fleet actions regularly it's probably best not to deploy them at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish there was a way to put in orders for specific ships/equipment and have a network of smugglers and purchasing agents eventually collect them for you, for a price. Maybe some sort of specific neutral smuggling station that has a big black market plus the ability for special orders at like 2x or 3x the market rate. Sometimes I just want some specific equipment or a specific hull and money is no object.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I wish there was a way to put in orders for specific ships/equipment and have a network of smugglers and purchasing agents eventually collect them for you, for a price. Maybe some sort of specific neutral smuggling station that has a big black market plus the ability for special orders at like 2x or 3x the market rate. Sometimes I just want some specific equipment or a specific hull and money is no object.

There's a mod for that but it hasn't updated.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'd like to see a system where you can use these AI cores and maybe some schematics you find to build ships, so a frigate just requires some gamma cores and some resources, a destroy requires some gammas and a beta, a cruiser requires some gammas and a couple of betas, and a battleship requires a some betas and an alpha. Throw in some rare metals or metals(to make the gently caress ton of metal you get actually worth something) then give it a month or so and bam! New ship.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The changes to the sensor system so that it only counts the 5 most significant ships has some interesting effects. Namely that in a large fleet, if you insulate the engines on all your small civvy freighters, they don't actually contribute to your sensor profile.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What fighters do folks like best?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
talon

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The decline of the Broadsword has been heartbreaking to watch

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

RentACop posted:

The decline of the Broadsword has been heartbreaking to watch

Wait what happened.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seriously if you have not tried a Harbinger with 3x Phase Lances yet I don't know what to tell you. With the Entropy whatever it is special ability on the ship you can murder up to heavy cruisers as long as you're careful and time your phasing correctly. Nothing smaller than a cruiser stands any chance against it 1v1.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I just tried a condor with broadswords compared to the regular interceptors and they really seemed worse. Interceptors gently caress poo poo up good

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Zmej posted:

I haven't played since, uh... 2012? I think this should be patch I try it out again. I'll barely recognize it probably

Hard to forget anything since the game has barely changed. This dev moves at the pace of Chris Roberts directing his magnum opus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What fighters do folks like best?

Wasps. Fast as gently caress and completely disposable.

If you can get them off remnants, Lux fighters are sort of a step up from them but they use more OP.

grimcreaper posted:

Hard to forget anything since the game has barely changed. This dev moves at the pace of Chris Roberts directing his magnum opus.

On the other hand this game is actually good? And also real. Also .png spaceships actually function in this game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

grimcreaper posted:

Grim creaped again!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mudskipper Mk II with a Devastator Cannon is the best

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Wasps. Fast as gently caress and completely disposable.

If you can get them off remnants, Lux fighters are sort of a step up from them but they use more OP.

On the other hand this game is actually good? And also real. Also .png spaceships actually function in this game.

Yeah but your still buying jpegs. Dont ruin this like goons always do.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So I'm having a bit of a hard time getting started, I've ended up losing two fairly decent starts.

So I started my first game, made it through the tutorial, and then got pecked to death by pirates in the system I started in after a bigger fleet than me cornered me and I couldn't get away.

Second game things were going a bit better until I took a job to survey a ship; went off to that star system and couldn't track down the ship at all, ended up losing all my supplies and having to limp back, losing literally every dime in the process.

What am I missing here? This game seems fun at times but I don't really know what to do next, and most systems only have like one or two jobs. Should I be hopping system to system a lot looking for work?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Falcon2001 posted:

So I'm having a bit of a hard time getting started, I've ended up losing two fairly decent starts.

So I started my first game, made it through the tutorial, and then got pecked to death by pirates in the system I started in after a bigger fleet than me cornered me and I couldn't get away.

Second game things were going a bit better until I took a job to survey a ship; went off to that star system and couldn't track down the ship at all, ended up losing all my supplies and having to limp back, losing literally every dime in the process.

What am I missing here? This game seems fun at times but I don't really know what to do next, and most systems only have like one or two jobs. Should I be hopping system to system a lot looking for work?

Assuming you don't do tutorial, the starting system Corvus is good for pirate hunting and getting a nest egg until the pirate bounty goes away. After that I find it's good to just cruise to your favorite faction systems and look for short distance survey and scan missions. These usually only pay 20-40k, however while doing them you can keep an eye out for warning beacon systems. They tend to have good loot, you just need to be prepared enough to take out the small two frigate remnant fleets. Depending on your ship setup at start that's either hard or ridiculously easy (Drover :v:). Make sure you get some salvaging skill if you go this route. Abandoned stations got the best loot at start. And when you can, invest on a little tanker and buffalo or mule to haul loot.

On another note, I wonder what Alex ends up doing with those lovely dead hyperspace ring things in systems. I hope they end up as gateways to some serious Event Horizon level poo poo you can fight.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Falcon2001 posted:

Not sure which starting ship you're choosing but let's assume the wolf (I also take the shepard over the kite). The first step is probably to assess the loadout and I try to swap out the SRMs for annihilator rockets and the PD lasers for tactical lasers. You could also use MRMs instead.

Next, be very careful about picking fights unless you know you can win (the AI will kite you hard now, especially with wolves, so it can make initial fights tedious) and don't stray too far from the in-system patrol fleets. I would also highly suggest you buy some extra crew if you can afford it and run around looking for salvage. If you luck into a decent wreck or two, it will make the initial slog much easier. Generally don't recover a ship unless you plan to use it. I find that travelling a core system, that spawns pirates, with a sustained burn means that you can usually run away a little easier (just be careful around nebulae and other terrain that the enemy can hide in).

For survey missions, you need a tanker (even the small one is okay), and unless you have atleast a single decent combat ship avoid fighting the automated defences protecting the domain era probes and survey ships (although if you have MRMs, it should be fairly trivial). Fill the tanker with cheap fuel from somewhere and try to take a few survey missions in the same direction, although even a single 100k+ mission is good initially, but I would also strongly avoid missions where the target to scan is "on the fringes". Sometimes the mission takes you to a system with hostiles and then trying to find the probe or whatever is a giant pain in the rear end. I'm not a fan of fighting remnant ships until I at least have a drover carrier with some fighters - it trivializes the frigates and provides you frigate(s) with cover against larger ships.

I usually drop the first couple of skill points into salvaging as 3 points gives you the ability to scavenge most things initially with good success and you can increase the changes of enemies dropping weapons. After that I usually buy a lasher then a drover and/or mule.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

To everyone encountering save file corruption, grab the latest hotfix, it solves the issue and lets you resume your save.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Looks like there's been a lot of changes since I last played, how do these modspec things work?

Does it just unlock the hull mod for your use? And similarly do LPCs just let you select a different fighter type for a bay?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Looks like there's been a lot of changes since I last played, how do these modspec things work?

Does it just unlock the hull mod for your use? And similarly do LPCs just let you select a different fighter type for a bay?

The former. Most hullmods aren't on skills anymore and you have to find the spec to learn them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How do I change the amount of memory Java is allowed to use again?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is there any downside to going to a pirate base to sell a million credits worth of survey reports without taking the tariff hit?

Also, has anyone seen a hardened shields modspec for sale? I want it, but not enough to spend six skill points on it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Is there any downside to going to a pirate base to sell a million credits worth of survey reports without taking the tariff hit?

Also, has anyone seen a hardened shields modspec for sale? I want it, but not enough to spend six skill points on it.

If you do it with transponders on you might take a rep hit to any non-pirate factions in system.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone more experienced give a general guideline to how expensive ships can get? I'm seeing an awful lot of posts claiming to make millions off of surveys / AI cores. Does having that much money make the game a breeze, or are there ships out there expensive enough to make having 1,000,000 in the bank chump change?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Can someone more experienced give a general guideline to how expensive ships can get? I'm seeing an awful lot of posts claiming to make millions off of surveys / AI cores. Does having that much money make the game a breeze, or are there ships out there expensive enough to make having 1,000,000 in the bank chump change?

It really depends what you're flying, supplies will always be expensive so the bigger your fleet the higher your running costs. Upfront cost for ships can vary greatly, Hegemony ships are relatively low tech and cheap while Tri-Tachyon ships are super expensive and super dangerous in the right hands.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most anything bigger than a destroyer will devour supplies and require large fleets on both sides to justify using.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is, in fact, a reason not to sell survey reports to pirates.

They’re worth more at big, highly stable markets.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 24, 2017

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

VodeAndreas posted:

Modspecs are right clickable in your inventory, it teaches you the mod and you can use it anywhere from there on. LPC's are equippable items in carrier fighter slots and they cost ordnance points, exactly like weapons.

Furthermore - has anyone found integrated targeting unit modspecs and where? I can't seem to get it anywhere.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I started up a new game with a view to be more combat-focussed.

I found this after taking an exploration mission for starting cash.

:stare: That'll do. I don't care that there's four d-mods and four hundred more crew needed to run it than I have. I'm bringing it home.

e: gently caress. Ran out of fuel and drifted into a system. Got clowned by remnant.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If you're having trouble do the tutorial, when it completes it sends you to jangala and generates a bounty mission, stick around till the bounty is done and then go to jangala, which will create another bounty mission. That will leave you with a nice chunk of loving around money.

Also, Luddic Path merchants trade with Church planets, but since the Church can't openly support them without revealing their hand, you can attack the Path with no reprisal. Burn trade fleets to ash in orbit and you can sell everything without having to worry about being hilariously overloaded