Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One More Time With Feeling, an excellent doc on the making of the new Nick Cave album, is on Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

precision posted:

One More Time With Feeling, an excellent doc on the making of the new Nick Cave album, is on Prime.
Good to know, still have to watch Gimme Danger by Jarmusch.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Garth_Marenghi posted:

Good to know, still have to watch Gimme Danger by Jarmusch.

Don't bother. It's too little too late (both Ashetons are dead) and it's basically just Jarmusch throwing softballs at Iggy when he's been talking (and bullshitting) throughout the years. He didn't even ask him why he dissed the Ashetons in his 1997 liner notes or why he tried to replace them when during his time with Bowie in London. The drug stories take up more time than any info on recording Fun House, etc.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pingiivi posted:

Tower is on Netflix (at least in Finland) and it's a stylish documentary about the Charles Whitman shooting. The documentary is done in a rotoscoped animation style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k963PfUVeLQ

I love rotoscope animation technique

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

Hey guys, I like extreme and scary sports. I've watched my fill of mountain climbing documentaries (Everest and K2 are so cool!), and now I'm interested in learning about people spelunking in crazy places and deep sea divers. Any recommendations?

Watch Meru if you haven't its probably one of the best about mountain climbing and it also shows how much it means personally to everyone involved. You see what's at stake for each of the climbers be it promises to fallen friends or just proving yourself as a young rookie. It's considered one of the hardest peaks in the Himalayas. The documentary shows two expeditions by the same group. How they fail the first time and how they deal with failure, personal issues, accidents but they come back together to try another attempt.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ulio posted:

Watch Meru if you haven't its probably one of the best about mountain climbing and it also shows how much it means personally to everyone involved. You see what's at stake for each of the climbers be it promises to fallen friends or just proving yourself as a young rookie. It's considered one of the hardest peaks in the Himalayas. The documentary shows two expeditions by the same group. How they fail the first time and how they deal with failure, personal issues, accidents but they come back together to try another attempt.

Meru is one of my favorite films! I love it and you have good taste.

I've been really enjoying the 99c rentals on iTunes. They have a good selection, I just wish the menu was a bit smarter I guess (we have an Apple TV). Like you can't search for just nature documentaries unless they feature that as a section, for example.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Pingiivi posted:

Tower is on Netflix (at least in Finland) and it's a stylish documentary about the Charles Whitman shooting. The documentary is done in a rotoscoped animation style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k963PfUVeLQ

I thought this was really well done. It was more of a recount of the event itself rather than a study of the shooter or gun violence or whatever (although there is a brief visual sequence about this at the end). The rotoscoped sequences were also well used because it gave interviews a "real time" feel as the event unfolded but then in the last half we saw the animated characters become their actual real life counterparts.

Thanks for the recommendation Pingiivi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't bother. It's too little too late (both Ashetons are dead) and it's basically just Jarmusch throwing softballs at Iggy when he's been talking (and bullshitting) throughout the years. He didn't even ask him why he dissed the Ashetons in his 1997 liner notes or why he tried to replace them when during his time with Bowie in London. The drug stories take up more time than any info on recording Fun House, etc.

I do not disagree that the documentary could have showed more, but I very much disagree that it was a bad film. I don't think it was intended to be the kind of doc you wanted it to be; if you want dirt on James, you can find it so easily. Gimme Danger was Jarmusch and James doing a postmortem on the band more than a comprehensive documentary.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

precision posted:

I do not disagree that the documentary could have showed more, but I very much disagree that it was a bad film. I don't think it was intended to be the kind of doc you wanted it to be; if you want dirt on James, you can find it so easily. Gimme Danger was Jarmusch and James doing a postmortem on the band more than a comprehensive documentary.
As an old person who knows of the stooges but doesn't know a lot, the movie was pretty good. It shows how the band came together, how they played a lot, and then they stopped, and then they got together and played some more later. All bands have conflicts, so the specific details are definitely interesting to the avid fans, but most of the time the band fallouts come down to, "they need me I don't need them. ps heroin is amazing, to me, or them, or our manager."

It was fun enough to watch.

Now I gotta go find "My Kid Could Paint That." I haven't heard of it, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like, (refer to my previous paragraph, not knowing poo poo about poo poo.)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

magnificent7 posted:

All bands have conflicts, so the specific details are definitely interesting to the avid fans, but most of the time the band fallouts come down to, "they need me I don't need them. ps heroin is amazing, to me, or them, or our manager."

Well in this case the specific details have been pretty much hidden and will remain so because only one guy of the original four is still alive. It's not even about finding dirt on Iggy but confronting him about something, anything, which Jarmusch pretty much refused to do. He was like "ok, now tell me why are you so awesome".

And he is awesome. Iggy Pop is a genius but it's incredible that the three guys behind him, complete amateurs when it comes to their instruments, made Fun House which for the underground rock (especially Australian) was an influence on par only with White Light/White Heat. And we learn so little about them. So much wasted potential.

magnificent7 posted:

Now I gotta go find "My Kid Could Paint That." I haven't heard of it, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like, (refer to my previous paragraph, not knowing poo poo about poo poo.)

This one's awesome. It's one of these great documentaries where at one point it explodes into something much larger than its initial topic and goes full drama.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the other hand, what makes Gimme Danger great could in fact be the meta-textual fact that Iggy is the only one left and that could change literally any day now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Terminally Bored posted:

This one's awesome. It's one of these great documentaries where at one point it explodes into something much larger than its initial topic and goes full drama.

Winnebago Man fits in this category too and is pretty good. Not nearly as insane but it goes places I didn't expect at first.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I'm watching Do you really want to know? The basic gist of the doc is: you figure out that there's Huntington's disease in your family. The disease can be tested for. Do you want to know if you have it?

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/doyoureallywanttoknow

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Best Frontline docs?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

A really well done documentary about the NFL's concussion crisis

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe Logic: The Lives and Ideas of Robert Anton Wilson is pretty great and a generally good primer on his ideas. In particular it does a good job of showing that unlike some of his peers and/or disciples (including Alex Jones) RAW was always greatly aware that anything he believed was just as likely as not to be bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7N6TOFyrLg

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

precision posted:

Maybe Logic: The Lives and Ideas of Robert Anton Wilson is pretty great and a generally good primer on his ideas. In particular it does a good job of showing that unlike some of his peers and/or disciples (including Alex Jones) RAW was always greatly aware that anything he believed was just as likely as not to be bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7N6TOFyrLg

It's funny you posted this cause i was watching this earlier tonight and was gonna post it in the genchat thread as YTOtD.

I've seen it twice before but I also love Wilson and ive pretty much devoured everything he ever wrote.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched The Salt of the Earth and its really something. Its about a well known Brazilian photographer Sebastiao Salgado who is a social photographer. He has been to the largest disasters/events of the last few decades such as the Ethiopian famine in the 80s, Rwanda Genocide, War in Yugoslavia and a few others.

Its not a typical documentary since a lot of it is just photos and narration by the photographer but it tells the history behind the pictures. But the pictures are so good they are better than any video and some of the pictures are really hard to look at.

There is video footage in there too but its mostly about the pictures he took and the places he went. Toward the end he kinda becomes a misanthrope and switches from a social photographer to a natural/wildlife photographer.

Really recommend the documentary to anyone who is interested in not only photography but also seeing these human caused disasters closer than ever before.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you're into either Ken Burns documentaries or historical documentaries, I'd recommend the American Experience doc The Great War on PBS right now. It's a 3-part doc about America's entry and role in WWI. It's not actually Ken Burns, but his fingerprints are all over it as it is done exactly in his style with old photos and video, talking heads, music, and actors reading journal entries and letters.

It's a very good doc, especially if you're not as familiar with the First World War. If you are, it may not be very informative but it's still really well made.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone interested in cycling or sport scandals watch Stopping at Nothing The Lance Armstrong Story. Shows what kinda of lying sociopath Lance Armstrong is and how he coerced people into becoming dopers like himself. How they took millions of taxpayers money to create the perfect system to dope, they had doctors, masseuses and even random people during the race doping them. One thing I will say about the man is that he was definitely driven. Great story of an icon, world champion, beats cancer, becomes champion again and creates a foundation for Cancer patients. Truly an American hero to villain story.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Not sure if these work in every country, but ARTE has a fantastic 4 part doc about the history of the development of Paris and Berlin, and the competition between the two.

They're in French/German, but you can choose English subs.

http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/051897-001-A/paris-berlin-destinies-intertwined
http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/051897-002-A/paris-berlin-destinies-intertwined
http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/051897-003-A/paris-berlin-destinies-intertwined
http://www.arte.tv/guide/en/051897-004-A/paris-berlin-destinies-intertwined

Great if you have any interest in architecture/city planning etc...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In case anyone missed it, the Oklahoma City bombing documentary that was on PBS a few months back has been added to Netflix.

edit: and the one on Ruby Ridge, which you should watch first, as it definitely affects what happened in OKC.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 23, 2017

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Mahoning posted:

In case anyone missed it, the Oklahoma City bombing documentary that was on PBS a few months back has been added to Netflix.

edit: and the one on Ruby Ridge, which you should watch first, as it definitely affects what happened in OKC.

I still need to watch the Charles Whitman one, poo poo. Has anyone watched the Newtown doc that was added to Netflix recently?

bunky fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Netflix added the Strike a Pose doc that tells about the Madonna Blond Ambition tour dancers and what happened to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hqh7lwaNKw

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pingiivi posted:

Netflix added the Strike a Pose doc that tells about the Madonna Blond Ambition tour dancers and what happened to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hqh7lwaNKw
WELL FINALLY they're answering that age-old question.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

magnificent7 posted:

WELL FINALLY they're answering that age-old question.

I haven't seen the Truth or Dare documentary but apparently it was kinda huge at the time. The dancers got kinda famous from that. This goes through the aftermath when the tour ended.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pingiivi posted:

I haven't seen the Truth or Dare documentary but apparently it was kinda huge at the time. The dancers got kinda famous from that. This goes through the aftermath when the tour ended.

Yeah at the time Blond Ambition was Beatles-level huge and Truth or Dare was a big hit.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

precision posted:

Yeah at the time Blond Ambition was Beatles-level huge and Truth or Dare was a big hit.
Oh you kids.

I won't say it wasn't huge, but, a 20-years-later documentary to catch up with the dancers of a single tour? It just seems odd for a documentary topic.

"Hey whatever happened to all the dudes who played the Kool-Aid pitcher in commercials from '91 to '92?"

And yes, I'm being ridiculous and petty. And jealous. See if I ever audition to be a dancer on one of her tours again.

There really is no graceful way out of this post now.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 25, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

magnificent7 posted:

Oh you kids.

I won't say it wasn't huge, but, a 20-years-later documentary to catch up with the dancers of a single tour? It just seems odd for a documentary topic.

"Hey whatever happened to all the dudes who played the Kool-Aid pitcher in commercials from '91 to '92?"

And yes, I'm being ridiculous and petty. And jealous. See if I ever audition to be a dancer on one of her tours again.

There really is no graceful way out of this post now.

show us what you got

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Up next on VH1 You're Old, an update on the women from the "Baby Got Back" video. Is her butt still so big?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

Man at this point I wonder what there isn't a documentary for. I have watched some many documentary about odd topics or topics nobody would think are interesting. Also with youtube and film making being easier than ever you also have a bunch of web documentaries on youtube/vimeo.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Documentaries on esoteric or niche subjects are the best. I watched an entire documentary about a parking lot on a college campus and was enthralled by it (The Parking Lot Movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1504300/ ).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of parking lots, Heavy Metal Parking Lot is one of my top 10 documentaries of all time, easy. I don't remember the sequel being nearly as good but still being okay.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Anyone see last year's doc, They Call Us Monsters? It just popped up in my youtube suggested videos and I really want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7BQc1Lxm6g

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
drat, that looks real good.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

show us what you got
I AM ONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS VIDEO. No lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBX5AeKoQqQ

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

magnificent7 posted:

I AM ONE OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS VIDEO. No lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBX5AeKoQqQ

The dude with the fedora at 0:29 obviously.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just discovered thst somebody posted the entire series of that show. I'm in most of the episodes. So. NOW I know what my first documentary will be about. Teen dance shows of the 80s.

And hell no I'm not in the fedora.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

magnificent7 posted:

I just discovered thst somebody posted the entire series of that show. I'm in most of the episodes. So. NOW I know what my first documentary will be about. Teen dance shows of the 80s.

And hell no I'm not in the fedora.

Nice! I'd watch the hell out of that. And also the dance show itself. I love Automatic so good choice to introduce the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just saw this doc about Bucket Boy culture in Chicago, and the economic situations in the city that has led these kids to this lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bIvFE9k2Mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am Not Your Negro is finally out widely, it's really really excellent. This was my first exposure to James Baldwin, and I have to say I'm incredibly interested in reading more. His prose is hypnotizing and powerful. You can feel the nature of everything he is saying just from how incredible of a writer he is. It's interspersed with footage of current day (some in black and white for effect) to show just how far we've come (not).

Also Samuel L. Jackson was an absolutely perfect choice for reading his words, he reads slowly and puts the emphasis needed on the words.

Definitely recommend.