Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

6'4" but I'm only 165 lbs so I need medium-tall or the sleeves are too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm a hobbit with a thick neck, so 17 1/2 neck often leaves me with too long sleeves. Also I'm fat so I have to get wide pants with short legs.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm a hobbit with a thick neck, so 17 1/2 neck often leaves me with too long sleeves. Also I'm fat so I have to get wide pants with short legs.

Danny Devito?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I see this as kind of the result of two things.

1. Clothes for men are pretty standard and don't tend to be that fashionable; you probably don't have to try them on.
2. Clothes for women have veered towards cheap, disposable fashion; if you get a dress you don't like, you're only out like $20 and you give it to Goodwill, who are flush with clothes no one ever wore

I think both of these things are issues. Men should have clothes that fit them properly available and know how to wear them, and women should focus more on having fewer clothes that are better-built.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want clothes that fit you, you take them to a tailor. You're very rarely going to find things that actually fit properly off the rack.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

1. Clothes for men are pretty standard and don't tend to be that fashionable; you probably don't have to try them on.
2. Clothes for women have veered towards cheap, disposable fashion; if you get a dress you don't like, you're only out like $20 and you give it to Goodwill, who are flush with clothes no one ever wore

I think both of these things are issues. [b]Men should have clothes that fit them properly available and know how to wear them[b], and women should focus more on having fewer clothes that are better-built.

Speaking as a man: gently caress no. I don't want to have to start making an effort with clothes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66c7el1E11o

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How tall, exactly? I had a 7' tall friend back in school and always wondered how he got his clothes.

You can get clothing custom made or modified if you're some rare size or another. Unfortunately that tends to cost more.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Machai posted:

Danny Devito?

Well I do want to kill all the children in Gotham

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For many Americans the clothes shopping experience is akin to wrapping a melting scoop of ice cream in crisp new dollar bills, it shouldn't be surprising that people are doing less and less of it

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Pick posted:

I think both of these things are issues. Men should have clothes that fit them properly available and know how to wear them, and women should focus more on having fewer clothes that are better-built.

CheesyDog posted:

For many Americans the clothes shopping experience is akin to wrapping a melting scoop of ice cream in crisp new dollar bills, it shouldn't be surprising that people are doing less and less of it

I am almost certainly old and out of touch, but I feel like I can see this change happening when talking to former students. Isn't it true that a huge part of the whole "retail store clothes shopping" thing is driven by kids wanting to look good for school, and their parents dragging the kid to a store out of habit? Pre-teen and teenage kids were some of the biggest clothes horses I ever saw, but I feel like there's an interesting turn happening.

I think that the duration of that adolescent "I have to prove poo poo by wearing certain apparel" phase is rapidly shrinking, just anecdotally. I hear way more of my now-college age students talking about being totally fine hitting thrift stores or other low-end clearance retailers. Add in stuff like free returns from shoe companies and the rest online, and it's hard to see culturally who the people are in 10 years who will still drag kids to a store. Was it in this thread that someone posted some haute-couture clothing rental company for programmers from SF to rent expensive clothes for business trips to NYC?

We're awash in a sea of cheap clothing, in a society that increasingly doesn't enjoy or want the retail experience, and where there are so many online or app-driven options that I think CheesyDog's quote best describes it. It's an expensive mess and who wants it anyway?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quidam Viator posted:

I am almost certainly old and out of touch, but I feel like I can see this change happening when talking to former students. Isn't it true that a huge part of the whole "retail store clothes shopping" thing is driven by kids wanting to look good for school, and their parents dragging the kid to a store out of habit? Pre-teen and teenage kids were some of the biggest clothes horses I ever saw, but I feel like there's an interesting turn happening.

I think that the duration of that adolescent "I have to prove poo poo by wearing certain apparel" phase is rapidly shrinking, just anecdotally. I hear way more of my now-college age students talking about being totally fine hitting thrift stores or other low-end clearance retailers. Add in stuff like free returns from shoe companies and the rest online, and it's hard to see culturally who the people are in 10 years who will still drag kids to a store. Was it in this thread that someone posted some haute-couture clothing rental company for programmers from SF to rent expensive clothes for business trips to NYC?

We're awash in a sea of cheap clothing, in a society that increasingly doesn't enjoy or want the retail experience, and where there are so many online or app-driven options that I think CheesyDog's quote best describes it. It's an expensive mess and who wants it anyway?

The other side of it is that America's young people are loving broke. Aside from stagnant wages, their grandparents not retiring so they can't get promoted, increased cost of like everything, and jobs being constantly automated away they're buried in student debt. I'm sure a hell of a lot of millenials would love to own fancy, nice clothing but they can't afford it. Then you get retail's current attitude of "cut costs at all costs" and it's just a miserable experience. Shopping has become miserable because the people working in retail are generally completely miserable. The pay is garbage, the company actively tries to screw you over, and the expectations are bug gently caress insane.

Really the whole system is just plain breaking down. If it exists you can buy it on the internet. Stores have limited space in the first place and just increasingly don't give give a poo poo about what you actually want.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Part of the problem for women's clothing specifically: The gap between what stores target towards teenagers and what they target towards young adults is striking, and not usually in a good way.

Most department stores have a lot more for juniors and middle aged women than for young women, and what 20s-appropriate clothing they have either looks like poo poo or is built like poo poo(sometimes both). The stores more specifically targeted towards young adults are usually too expensive to build an entire wardrobe from, and often suffer from the looks like and/or built like poo poo syndrome too. God knows what we'd be wearing if we couldn't use the internet to buy normal clothes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to notice a move towards men's clothing being built like poo poo. Like really thin t-shirts, or nonfunctional buttons and zippers.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
i havent bought a new shirt or pants or tennis shoes or anything in multiple years

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I buy my jeans and stuff where they sell clothes for people who do actual work (Fleet Farm), so they seem to last pretty long. Mostly Carhartt and Dickies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Quidam Viator posted:

Clothes shopping is super fun if you're good-looking and rich. Well, fewer and fewer people have less and less income, and beauty standards have convinced normal people that they're hideous. I'm 5'8" and a size 4 and I've broken down crying in dressing rooms because I'm fat :shrug:.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I'm starting to notice a move towards men's clothing being built like poo poo. Like really thin t-shirts, or nonfunctional buttons and zippers.

welcome to the club :getin:

e: I don't put my clothes in the dryer anymore especially because of the burn-out fabric some companies use for shirts, ugh

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pick posted:

Clothes shopping is super fun if you're good-looking and rich. Well, fewer and fewer people have less and less income, and beauty standards have convinced normal people that they're hideous. I'm 5'8" and a size 4 and I've broken down crying in dressing rooms because I'm fat :shrug:.

What do you care what other people think?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

monster on a stick posted:

What do you care what other people think?

Because human condition.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Now that I think about it, as someone who buys very little variety in clothing, I never see people in clothing areas of stores save for a few times a year. School uniforms, Halloween (does that count?), etc. Clothes stores in the mall might be filled with lookers and nothing else, because gently caress, $30 for a shirt?

Me, I really really hate the forced cheery upselling when you check out in some places. "Oh hai we also have printer paper on sale for 20% off, and USB drives are 5% off!" "Would you like to buy an oversized lollypop?" No, and loving no. You want customers to spend more money? Pay more cashiers, more registers means less lines! Pay more stockers, more poo poo on shelves means it sells! But no, that's dumb business sense from a goon. Slash wages, force surveys, drive people to Amazon because at least you don't see the disgruntled people there!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Retail is hosed because almost no intelligent people are in the industry. No one smart wants the hours, low margins, and dealing with the idiots that work there.

They're all about hassling customers about how they learned about the store to figure out which advertising is the most effective. Nobody on the sales floor wants to ask that dumb question because it's a script and the customer can tell you're being forced to ask. Also the upselling is annoying.

Managers aren't smart enough to understand that all of these little upsells and questions aren't deal breakers on their own, but altogether they're too awkward for most people.

The first store to drop the upselling and standard script questions will be the first to bounce back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Retail is hosed because almost no intelligent people are in the industry. No one smart wants the hours, low margins, and dealing with the idiots that work there.

They're all about hassling customers about how they learned about the store to figure out which advertising is the most effective. Nobody on the sales floor wants to ask that dumb question because it's a script and the customer can tell you're being forced to ask. Also the upselling is annoying.

Managers aren't smart enough to understand that all of these little upsells and questions aren't deal breakers on their own, but altogether they're too awkward for most people.

The first store to drop the upselling and standard script questions will be the first to bounce back.

During my time, I only ever bothered to attempt upsales if they were part of a sale. For example, if they're buying one of something, and informing them if they buy two of them they get a third one free.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's not store level management that doesn't know upselling doesn't work, it's the corporate office. They pay a research team to find out what increases sales and that research team will always come back and say "customer service and upselling!"

So then the corporate office will make "customer service and upselling" their new goal all while cutting hours to employees to try and save money. They'll mandate initiatives like there has to be a greeter stationed at the front 100% of the time, and that "offering our services" has to be done twice at the registers before you can complete a transaction. Store managers have to go through with them to keep their jobs even when they know it's not working and their constant feedback of "this isn't working" will only be met with, at best, indifference or at worst disciplinary action. Then about 6 months later the same people that rolled out the initiatives will roll out another one which will also fail and the whole cycle starts over again.

I worked in retail for like 7 years...I probably would have been better off unemployed for how much real career experience it gave me. The only good thing is it teaches you not to be a dick to service level employees and how to interact with tons of different personality types.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Apr 24, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The other problem is that those people who push upselling, despite it not working, continue to move further up the management chain

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Upselling feels just so rude to me. I was buying coat hangers the other day and the dude tried to push a USB drive on me. At least try and find something relevant to offer instead of suddenly interrupting a simple transaction.

It's 0% the cashier's fault.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Speaking of upselling, one of the last times I ever shopped at RadioShack was to buy an answering machine ( :corsair: ). At the register, the cashier asked me, "Now, do you want the one-year warranty or the two-year?" I asked if I really had to buy a warranty (this answering machine was like $7 or something), and he sheepishly said no. I wonder how many people that worked on though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of upselling, one of the last times I ever shopped at RadioShack was to buy an answering machine ( :corsair: ). At the register, the cashier asked me, "Now, do you want the one-year warranty or the two-year?" I asked if I really had to buy a warranty (this answering machine was like $7 or something), and he sheepishly said no. I wonder how many people that worked on though.

Warrantee sales just seem so weird to me. When I'm checking out at Wal-Mart, I'm really not wanting to spend %20 more for a warrantee on Earth Wind and Fire's Greatest Hits. I know it makes sense on a profit level, but gently caress that, it's a CD I bought on a whim for $10 anyway.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Retail is also hosed because of the changing geographical landscape. Population distribution in America is turning into The Hunger Games. Land values near the megacities keep rising and rents for retail become unaffordable; land values in the hinterlands are zero but there's nobody there to buy anything and no money to buy it with. The theoretical Goldilocks zone for a brick-and-mortar shop is shrinking.

I guess retail is a trailing indicator of the Internet-based disruption pattern that started with newspapers. The media was the quickest industry to shift to digital platforms and was disrupted/decimated almost instantaneously.

It took longer for the average person to get comfortable enough with buying online. The technological adoption has finally reached nearly full saturation on the consumer level, so we can probably expect to see a matching curve for retail.

Everything peaked in the year 2000.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Now that I think about it, as someone who buys very little variety in clothing, I never see people in clothing areas of stores save for a few times a year. School uniforms, Halloween (does that count?), etc. Clothes stores in the mall might be filled with lookers and nothing else, because gently caress, $30 for a shirt?

Me, I really really hate the forced cheery upselling when you check out in some places. "Oh hai we also have printer paper on sale for 20% off, and USB drives are 5% off!" "Would you like to buy an oversized lollypop?" No, and loving no. You want customers to spend more money? Pay more cashiers, more registers means less lines! Pay more stockers, more poo poo on shelves means it sells! But no, that's dumb business sense from a goon. Slash wages, force surveys, drive people to Amazon because at least you don't see the disgruntled people there!

*buys $10 item*

Do you have our Rewards Card? If you sign up today you'll save 10% on your next purchase! You can also save %5 on all in store purchases by applying for our Rewards MasterCard. Can I get your zip code? Would you like to make a donation for "Find a Cure for MS?" For only $7 you can purchase the extended 3 year warranty.

*prints out a 16 inch receipt*

Please fill out our online survey and you might win a $100 gift card!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bonzo posted:

*buys $10 item*

Do you have our Rewards Card? If you sign up today you'll save 10% on your next purchase! You can also save %5 on all in store purchases by applying for our Rewards MasterCard. Can I get your zip code? Would you like to make a donation for "Find a Cure for MS?" For only $7 you can purchase the extended 3 year warranty.

*prints out a 16 inch receipt*

Please fill out our online survey and you might win a $100 gift card!

We had capture rates for phone numbers and zip codes. If a cashier was below whatever arbitrary number corporate wanted that month we had to write them up. I don't think there was a manager out there that didn't "hint" at just using the store's zip code or making up a phone number if the customer didn't give you one.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I never worked as a cashier at my old retail clothes store, because it was garbage predatory things like, they need a certain amount of credit sign ups a day, and make sure everyone signs up for rewards cards or else they cut your hours until you quit and they find a new person to do it. It was really lovely and toxic and I'm glad my new store is like, answer customer questions - no credit sign ups, just take their money and let them leave. Good service is better than lovely corporate ideas.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We had capture rates for phone numbers and zip codes. If a cashier was below whatever arbitrary number corporate wanted that month we had to write them up. I don't think there was a manager out there that didn't "hint" at just using the store's zip code or making up a phone number if the customer didn't give you one.

I can attest to this. I was just shrugging it off when I was working at Radio Shack and then the manager came after me.

Now I can tell you all that lowe's home improvement stores is onto the old Tommy Two-Tone game of giving them Jenny's number. Regardless of area code, 867-5309 will not work at all. Bastards. I was having fun rolling that out to young cashiers that never heard that song. The older ones would just smirk. :corsair:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This explains the disappointed look I get from Best Buy employees when I ask from them to print my receipt.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Neon Noodle posted:

Everything peaked in the year 2000.

Y2K happened, it is just occurring more gradually than anyone could have predicted.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
My :tinfoil: theory is that we are actually living in a computer simulation that got broken by Y2k and started glitching out unpredictably (i.e., 9/11, Donald Trump becoming president, etc.)

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

We had capture rates for phone numbers and zip codes. If a cashier was below whatever arbitrary number corporate wanted that month we had to write them up.

on the first pass I read this as "certain amount per zip code" and what I know of sales is such trash that I didn't even second guess corporate mandating something fully beyond the cashier's control. had to read the rest to actually get it

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Doesn't help that all the retailers that sold CDs have been hit hard or outright gone out of business. I prefer buying them and would much rather support a local store over having Amazon ship it. I've had to give up over the last year as stores that stock anything I want are a half hour away.

Apparently Netflix and other services are starting the same trend for blu-rays and dvds. It's getting stores like Best Buy to start focusing on fridges and other kinds of home appliances.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think a lot of retail spelled it's own doom by adopting a model of almost total customer self-sufficiency. They weened everyone away from the idea that a staff member was something you'd need to help shop, and then it just wasn't that big of a transition to move the experience online. You're already doing all the work of picking what you want and finding it, so why add having to wander a big-box store and wait in line at the till?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In Australia there big-box retailer Harvery Norman (run by Gerry Harvey) is battling tooth-and-nail to try and stop Amazon competing with his stores. They're awful, overpriced, messy stores and he's enjoyed a partial monopoly (his company and competitor JB Hi-Fi) for decades. Instead of taking measures to adapt to the online marketplace (he has had literally a decade to do this) he's trying to find ways to impede his competitors.

Ironically, he's complained about online sales so much he's driven loads of potential HN customers to online stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

there wolf posted:

I think a lot of retail spelled it's own doom by adopting a model of almost total customer self-sufficiency. They weened everyone away from the idea that a staff member was something you'd need to help shop, and then it just wasn't that big of a transition to move the experience online. You're already doing all the work of picking what you want and finding it, so why add having to wander a big-box store and wait in line at the till?
I know some have made the argument that the beginning of the end for Circuit City was when they fired all of the salespeople they were paying commission and replaced them with regular employees who didn't have anywhere near the knowledge about the company's products.