Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think it's time I upgraded my 250GB MX200 + 1TB Barracuda(2012) for a 500GB 850 EVO, + WD Blue(WD10EZEX 7200 rpm)

OOOR, get a 1TB 850 EVO and partition it so both are on the single SSD. That shouldn't be an issue right?

Are PCIe SSD's still a bitch for p8z68-v pro + Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ak Gara posted:

I think it's time I upgraded my 250GB MX200 + 1TB Barracuda(2012) for a 500GB 850 EVO, + WD Blue(WD10EZEX 7200 rpm)

OOOR, get a 1TB 850 EVO and partition it so both are on the single SSD. That shouldn't be an issue right?

Are PCIe SSD's still a bitch for p8z68-v pro + Windows 7?

If by "a bitch" you mean "still can't be made boot drives without BIOS hacking and are still limited to PCIe 2.0 speeds unless you're running an Ivy Bridge chip in your 'Gen 3' Z68," then yes, they're still bitchy.

That being said, the new driver Samsung put out for the 960 EVO supposedly helps with Win 7 performance if all you're looking for is a fast data drive.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I decided to go for the EVO 850 1TB instead of SSD+HDD, as a lot of the files I work with are 10,000 tiny files in a folder.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The X400 is now out of production according to rumblings. Sandisk got HGSTed.

On the upside, the firmware problems with the completely identical WD Blue have been resolved as of last week, though they simply set the speeds to that of the x400 :downsgun:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So what's the new cheap but still decent drive if you need 1 TB for video games and don't care about absolutely maximum performance

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WD Blue (intermittent discount to $250-260) or MX300 ($270-280)

Nobody's given the warranty of WD Blue a shake but if they're intelligent (I'm not betting on it) it'd be similar to Sandisk's.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anandtech has some more indepth numbers on Optane
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11209/intel-optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-review-a-deep-dive-into-3d-xpoint-enterprise-performance

And Tom
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-p4800x,5030.html

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Im only doing blues and mx300's now for customers (for sata drives). They work fine, are affordable, and reliable. Both are from good companies as well.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Oh my god cloning is such a bitch.

At first I tried borrowing the sata cable from my disc drive for my new Evo 850, but then I couldn't use my windows disc for booting to backup/restore!

So then I wanted to apply a system image I made so I unplugged the old HDD and plugged in the cd drive so I could boot to windows recovery...but it couldn't find my USB external hdd with the system image.

Trying Macrium Reflect Free at the moment...

[edit] Ah that was surprisingly quick and easy.

It didn't seem to copy everything though, there's about 20 gig size difference between the Barracuda and the Evo 850?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 21, 2017

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Swap file?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
My SanDisk Extreme Pro 240GB purchased in November 2012 failed in June 2015, still under warranty. The replacement Extreme Pro 500GB (woot, thanks for the upgrade SanDisk!) just failed in the last 24 hours 😞. I think I'm done with SanDisk, 2 years of light use is just not long enough for an OS drive for me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

isn't the extreme pro a 10 year warranty?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't the extreme pro a 10 year warranty?

Yeah I think so, assuming their warranty was the same when I bought it. They'll replace it if that's the case but I'm not sure I trust a replacement at this point.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You might as well replace it and use the (second) replacement as a spare drive. No use not using the warranty at this point even if you're not really going to be using it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

True, that's a good idea. I can use it as an intermediary in case any replacement fails.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Papercut posted:

Yeah I think so, assuming their warranty was the same when I bought it. They'll replace it if that's the case but I'm not sure I trust a replacement at this point.

SanDisk is Western Digital now, so there's a chance you might get a WD Blue out of it, which is a rebadged X300.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

thebigcow posted:

Swap file?

Huh, the swap file is set to around 20 gig so maybe! And holy poo poo this 850 Evo is so much faster than my 5 year old barracuda. I deal with lots of small but numerous files, moving folders with 5,000 files in it used to take 2 minutes each time, now it takes 10 seconds!

2 minutes feels like a long rear end time when you're trying to do something and you can't because you have to wait!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've had my SSD for a while and never asked: should I be doing anything to the Windows power options (specifically the "turn hard disk off after x minutes" setting)?

Googling says I should turn that, hybrid sleep, and hibernate all off but none of it seems to be advice from people who know what they're talking about.

This is a laptop that's closed/sleeping when not in use.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The "Turn hard disk off" setting does nothing for an SSD, so you can turn it off.

Turning hybrid sleep off may save a few write cycles on your SSD, but it means if you lose power while sleeping, you'll lose whatever was in memory. It depends on how much you trust your batteries to hold out; if you trust them, you can turn it off.

Turning hibernate off saves as much disk space as you have memory, but if you want hybrid sleep, you should leave it on.

Note that both options save memory to disk without encryption unless your drive is already encrypted. This is probably a more important concern than the wear on an SSD.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Double Punctuation posted:

The "Turn hard disk off" setting does nothing for an SSD, so you can turn it off.

On the flip side: why would you? At best leaving it enabled will give a few minutes more battery life and at worst it will have no detrimental effect (because SSDs don't need to spin up any platters).

Hibernate and hybrid sleep are pretty much down to personal preference. It's not like you need to coddle your SSD to prevent writes anymore.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cool, I'll leave them alone then. Thanks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Review of the Optane system accelerator up
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-memory,5032.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11210/the-intel-optane-memory-ssd-review-32gb-of-kaby-lake-caching

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

... meh? "Make lovely spinning drives great again" is hard to get excited about even if it's done well. It'll be more interesting to see if the performance/price of 3d Xpoint will reach a point where they become a viable consumer product that's interesting to people other than reviewers and rich gamers who insist on 1337 performance no matter the cost.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

quote:

Intel Optane Memory uses a PCIe 3.0 x2 link
lol

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Since our Optane Memory sample died after only about a day of testing, we cannot conduct a complete analysis of the product or make any final recommendations.

:derp:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hold on, you can't be serious about 2x pcie la-- what the gently caress

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah that sucks, burn up a x4 m.2 connector? Lame.

Getting some in at work to use as cheap nvme endpoints though, at ~44$ a pop you can't beat them if you don't care about capacity.

Weirdly they still don't have actual part numbers on intel ark: http://ark.intel.com/products/97544?ui=BIG

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 24, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Anandtech post-Anand posted:

In some sense, Optane Memory may just be a stop-gap product for the consumer market until Intel is able to deliver usefully large Optane SSDs for consumers.
Stopgap for what use case? Where, for who?

Swear to heaven, the writing quality at Anandtech is in nosedive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't understand - aren't 'real' SSDs cheap enough for the average storage requirements that spending time on making hybrid disks is a waste? A 32GB Optane costs more than a 128GB Samsung SM961.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't understand - aren't 'real' SSDs cheap enough for the average storage requirements that spending time on making hybrid disks is a waste? A 32GB Optane costs more than a 128GB Samsung SM961.

There seems to be two optanes, the dumb hybrid extentions m.2 and the neato pure pci-e nvme drives, and intel is doing a not good job at marketing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

wargames posted:

There seems to be two optanes, the dumb hybrid extentions m.2 and the neato pure pci-e nvme drives, and intel is doing a not good job at marketing.

All Intel seems to be accomplishing between the 540s and "consumer" Optane is teaching enthusiasts that when it comes to Intel and NAND, it better say "Workstation" on the box somewhere or it's not worth it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Potato Salad posted:

Stopgap for what use case? Where, for who?

Swear to heaven, the writing quality at Anandtech is in nosedive.

At least it wasn't Ian Cuttress! I have aneurysms every time I try to read his prose.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

So I bought an SSD and then googled how to migrate my drive from my 1TB spinning rust hard drive to the smaller 500G SSD. I found no less than three tutorials online suggesting EaseUS Todo Backup Free, with step by step instructions for each.

Does this tool actually work? Presumably, it can clone a drive that is currently in use to the SSD, but this doesn't seem right to me...what if the drive is actually in use during the cloning proceedure (Chrome/Steam/whatever open in the background)? Won't that give you an inconsistent clone? I fully expected to have to blow away my USB drive and put a utility on that drive, but apparently not?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Unboxing Day posted:

So I bought an SSD and then googled how to migrate my drive from my 1TB spinning rust hard drive to the smaller 500G SSD. I found no less than three tutorials online suggesting EaseUS Todo Backup Free, with step by step instructions for each.

Does this tool actually work? Presumably, it can clone a drive that is currently in use to the SSD, but this doesn't seem right to me...what if the drive is actually in use during the cloning proceedure (Chrome/Steam/whatever open in the background)? Won't that give you an inconsistent clone? I fully expected to have to blow away my USB drive and put a utility on that drive, but apparently not?

Your PC will just be completely unusable while it's cloning the drive. Shut down all programs, start the clone then wait.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

SlayVus posted:

Your PC will just be completely unusable while it's cloning the drive. Shut down all programs, start the clone then wait.

That's precisely what bothered me. The clone operation did not freeze my PC at all. I was able to shut off Chrome and Steam even after the process had begun. Who knows what the heck else Windows is doing in the background that I don't know about.

I stopped the clone process and zapped the destination drive. I'll shut off all background programs and start the process again, I suppose.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've cloned literally hundreds of drives with Macrium Reflect while the PC was on and doing its normal background things, without issue. There's no need to go nuts trying to shut down background processes.

Macrium can also clone to a smaller drive without screwing around with the partition size beforehand, although the 'old way' using Easus works fine too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still don't trust Macrum Reflect. It has never worked for me :negative:

These days I say "gently caress it" and use clonezilla and gparted to make sure poo poo works right.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Macrium Reflect uses a built-in Windows tech called Volume Shadow Copy Service. Long story short, vss is a tool that lets the system make a block-level snapshot of your disk, frozen in time. Programs that integrate with VSS's orders, like database programs, have a one minute deadline to reach a consistent state.

Once you make that snapshot, future writes are made elsewhere on the disk for later reintegration. Meanwhile, you have a cleanly-bootable set of your volume data frozen in time and no particular rush to back it up. Whatever task you wanted to run, like a Macrium cloning job, can do so at this time. The OS just continues to chug away as normal, merely making sure that any new modifications it wants to make to blocks go in a "For later writing" queue.

When your job is done, vss just re-integrates your queued writes.

This is one way computers make data babies without needing downtime.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I'm a huge clonezilla fan for weird poo poo like Hackintosh disks with mixed filesystems and such, but for simple spinnydisk>SSD clones running Windows, I've had good luck with Macrium.

One thing about it though, you have to set it to 'forensic copy' if you're cloning a damaged/dying disk to a new one, otherwise it'll just fail over and over. Took me way too long to figure this out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Well, poo poo.

I checked CrystalDiskInfo and it didn't indicate any bad sectors, and it said the disk was in good health.

Guess I'm trying Macrium then...