Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
It's happening right now. 0.15 pushed to Steam a day early. Play time - engage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

0.15 IS OUT NOW YEA

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44505

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
To forestall the posts asking why it's not updating:

Right click your Factorio in Steam, click properties, go to the Betas tab, hit the drop down list and select the 0.15 experimental.

You're welcome.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ratzap posted:

To forestall the posts asking why it's not updating:

Right click your Factorio in Steam, click properties, go to the Betas tab, hit the drop down list and select the 0.15 experimental.

You're welcome.

Non-experimental version got ~24mb update too which confused me.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

SinineSiil posted:

Non-experimental version got ~24mb update too which confused me.

Did the old "experimental" 0.14 branch get marked as the new latest stable iteration?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ignoranus posted:

Did the old "experimental" 0.14 branch get marked as the new latest stable iteration?

That happened long ago.

E: Can't play :(

E: looks it happens to everyone with Steam version :s

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 24, 2017

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

That happened long ago.

E: Can't play :(

E: looks it happens to everyone with Steam version :s

switching off steam cloud sync gets you past this (at least it worked for me)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

fezball posted:

switching off steam cloud sync gets you past this (at least it worked for me)

Ditto, just came here to post this.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Some great quality of life changes hidden in the notes too.

* Technologies are sorted by the science packs needed.
* Copying from assembling machines to filter inserters will set the filters to the ingredients of the assembling machine recipe.
* Offshore pump and generator show pumping speed/fluid usage.
* Increased stack size of stone wall pipe and belts 50 -> 100
* Train station adds 2000 tiles penalty when path finding, so trains try to avoid stations not related to their path.
* Blueprints, blueprint books and deconstruction planners are obtainable from the library GUI with no crafting cost.

Also,
* Reduced the plastic bar recipe requirement of petroleum gas 30 -> 20 :aaa:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

New map generator presets:
Rich Resources
Marathon
Dangerous
Death World :black101:
Rail World :fishmech:

And, um, the advanced settings are amazing.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Okay, heck, the new boilers are T-shaped, with the stem of the T being where the steam comes out. Is it still more efficient to consolidate those steam lines into one, which feeds into a row of steam engines, or is some sort of leaf-branch thing where each boiler feeds into 2 engines going to be better? I feel like fluid flowing through splitting/merging pipes has historically been a little wonky but the boiler's, like, generating steam and outputting it (as opposed to water flowing through it and having to equalize pressures) so the "stem-and-leaf" kind of configuration sort of makes sense.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

Okay, heck, the new boilers are T-shaped, with the stem of the T being where the steam comes out. Is it still more efficient to consolidate those steam lines into one, which feeds into a row of steam engines, or is some sort of leaf-branch thing where each boiler feeds into 2 engines going to be better? I feel like fluid flowing through splitting/merging pipes has historically been a little wonky but the boiler's, like, generating steam and outputting it (as opposed to water flowing through it and having to equalize pressures) so the "stem-and-leaf" kind of configuration sort of makes sense.

I've got no idea how to tackle Steam Engine outposts anymore. The new boilers throws the old symmetrically linear designs out the window. I was gonna shove a bunch of boilers in a row in the optimum ratio, and then have their steam pipes all connect up into one single pipe that feeds into however many steam engines in a straight line, but I dunno how effective that'll be.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Okay, I fully approve of uranium deposits glowing in the dark:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can update from within the client too if you have experimental updates enabled in Settings.

e: Spoke too soon. :saddowns:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2017

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Stable got updated to 0.14.23?
What was changed? I can't find any information on it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God drat these UI improvements make me want to cry with happiness... Seeing the deposit values, being able to add tags, the ability to zoom in. Just marry me and run away to the Bahamas, Factorio Devs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ultrabindu posted:

Stable got updated to 0.14.23?
What was changed? I can't find any information on it.

quote:

Version: 0.14.23
Date: 19. 04. 2017
Info:
- This is a compatibility release for 0.15 containing only bugfixes.
Bugfixes:
- Fixed crash when refreshing in the browse mods GUI in some instances. (https://forums.factorio.com/39032)
- Fixed crash when clicking the same tick the map is loaded. (https://forums.factorio.com/39713)
- Fixed desync caused by incorrect sorting of items with inventories (blueprint books) in player's inventory. (https://forums.factorio.com/41159)
- Fixed occasional broadcast related crashes on OSX (https://forums.factorio.com/39250)
- Fixed save coruption when saving while character is in vehicle with equipment grid and roboport equipment while destructor bots are deployed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Okay, I fully approve of uranium deposits glowing in the dark:

hell, I like it when *any* mineral deposits glow in the dark in resource gathering games. Makes it a lot less of a pain to find them...

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well there goes the rest of my day. Choo choo!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fans posted:

Well there goes the rest of my day. Choo choo!

I need to eat NOW before I forget to!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is the "rail world" map setting basically RSO? Lovely spread out resources? Could be fun!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Solumin posted:

Is the "rail world" map setting basically RSO? Lovely spread out resources? Could be fun!

Was just about to ask this. If it's not simply a fixed setting (low frequency, high richness), it could make RSO obsolete.

Also, it should be the default setting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Default rail world start with a random seed and reveal LUA code.

E: All the advanced/resource settings are available for all the presets, too.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2017

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

seravid posted:

Was just about to ask this. If it's not simply a fixed setting (low frequency, high richness), it could make RSO obsolete.

Also, it should be the default setting.

Agreed, I think pretty much the tanker mods and RSO the only required ones. And since the tanker one is built in now, I'm hoping that's exactly what that setting is.

I didn't need to get any work done today, honest

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Rynoto posted:

Default rail world start with a random seed and reveal LUA code.

Nice. Could you hover over some of those patches and see it they grow richer the further you go? If there is a way to scroll through the map (or teleport or something) so you're not stuck in the starting area, that'd be great too :shobon:

Kinetica posted:

Agreed, I think pretty much the tanker mods and RSO the only required ones. And since the tanker one is built in now, I'm hoping that's exactly what that setting is.

I didn't need to get any work done today, honest

Can't live without Long Reach at the very least, but making it compatible with the new version should be easy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, hey, electric mining drills automatically "transform" if you put them over uranium deposits. You don't need a special recipe for them, they just gain sulfuric acid tanks/inputs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

seravid posted:

Nice. Could you hover over some of those patches and see it they grow richer the further you go? If there is a way to scroll through the map (or teleport or something) so you're not stuck in the starting area, that'd be great too :shobon:

Sure! Will take a bit to reveal it all but should be done soon.

Done!

RailWorld "Default" (with biters turned off)
Resources seem to average ~40-100 times higher at ~35k tiles diagonally away from spawn.

E: There's a 473m copper patch close by there, too.
E2: Hmm

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Rail setting is awesome, just like RSO. The map Rynoto posted doesn't do it much justice, cause that start area is awfully patchy due to the water sources. My map is brilliant, just like RSO. Good quantity of starter resources, and they become more rich the farther out you go.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Be SURE you're actually subbed to the beta. My Factorio shows as experimental on Steam so I thought I was, but I actually wasn't! Downloading the real thing now :) There was a small patch to .14 released with the .15 release, so don't confuse the two like I did.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Loopoo posted:

Rail setting is awesome, just like RSO. The map Rynoto posted doesn't do it much justice, cause that start area is awfully patchy due to the water sources. My map is brilliant, just like RSO. Good quantity of starter resources, and they become more rich the farther out you go.

It disables biter expansion, though, so make sure to turn it back on.

EDIT: Jesus christ, I'd forgotten how little stuff there is in vanilla. All the crafting menus are so teeny-tiny. :3:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

I've got no idea how to tackle Steam Engine outposts anymore. The new boilers throws the old symmetrically linear designs out the window. I was gonna shove a bunch of boilers in a row in the optimum ratio, and then have their steam pipes all connect up into one single pipe that feeds into however many steam engines in a straight line, but I dunno how effective that'll be.

was reading around reddit yesterday and they were saying its now 1 boiler per 2 steam engines so no more wierd complex 14-10 split

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kenlon posted:

It disables biter expansion, though, so make sure to turn it back on.

EDIT: Jesus christ, I'd forgotten how little stuff there is in vanilla. All the crafting menus are so teeny-tiny. :3:

Biter expansion is frustrating. The setting it starts at is perfect, as endgame doesn't devolve into a constant "clean the biter incursion up" simulator.

But aye, good reminder to anyone who likes that stuff. I hate playing the game without Longreach though :(

Indecisive posted:

was reading around reddit yesterday and they were saying its now 1 boiler per 2 steam engines so no more wierd complex 14-10 split

The new boiler ratios are so much nicer. I just haven't figured out a nice design yet. I was thinking of having a long line of boilers, and then having them output to a single pipe that feeds a line of boilers. But that means no more side-by-side inserting of coal into boilers :(

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Biter expansion is frustrating. The setting it starts at is perfect, as endgame doesn't devolve into a constant "clean the biter incursion up" simulator.

But aye, good reminder to anyone who likes that stuff. I hate playing the game without Longreach though :(

Also, you no longer get research from biters anymore.

And yes, I've been spoiled by longreach. WHY IS THAT NOT DEFAULT!?

Edit:
Speaking of research. Oh god, grape juice requires pump jacks! :gonk:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2017

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I think the numbers may have gone a bit wacky.

At least there's no more worrying about oil ever at all.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
loving sweet, I've been waiting for this. Monday just got a whole lot better.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Alkydere posted:

And yes, I've been spoiled by longreach. WHY IS THAT NOT DEFAULT!?

Long reach is terrible. Are we supposed to be telekinetic or something? And if so, why can't I punch biters with my mind? Autofill, on the other hand, should be default.

And I'm so going to miss my gigantic steam blocks, now that boilers don't line up neatly one long-handed inserter apart.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, they changed how steam boilers work. Water goes one way, steam comes out the side.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Speedball posted:

Huh, they changed how steam boilers work. Water goes one way, steam comes out the side.

I sorta prefer it this way since it makes more sense, and god drat do the boilers look sexy. The one thing that I don't like is the fact that we can no longer have neatly stacked boiler setups, where the first line of boilers gets fed by fast inserters, and all the consecutive ones just grab from the first with long inserters :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Does oil show up right away, or do you need oil processing? There's no oil in my starting area and I'm getting scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kenlon posted:

Long reach is terrible. Are we supposed to be telekinetic or something? And if so, why can't I punch biters with my mind? Autofill, on the other hand, should be default.

And I'm so going to miss my gigantic steam blocks, now that boilers don't line up neatly one long-handed inserter apart.

Amen brother, long reach just makes the game feel wrong.

For power, I'm using double rows of boilers with a double row of engines each. So lay a belt in the middle and feed boilers off each side with the steam pointing outwards. Then run a double row of engines along the boilers with poles in between as usual. Someone mentioned 1 offshore to 20 boilers to 40 engines which should still be fairly compact laid out like this.