Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Close but that's the wrong Le Pen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

People on knifecrime island get the news and stuff right? They've heard that you dont have to have kings anymore? New systems have been created.

They made the king/queen into government employees several centuries ago, didn't they?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
If we had an American monarchy maybe people would feel like we had the "attending lots of parades and squinting at disasters" functions of government covered and the President wouldn't be expected to do all that poo poo and could spend that time governing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chitin posted:

If we had an American monarchy maybe people would feel like we had the "attending lots of parades and squinting at disasters" functions of government covered and the President wouldn't be expected to do all that poo poo and could spend that time governing.

No, no, keep him busy doing anything but governing

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Granted, this is a concept from a more innocent time.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When is the french elections over I'm trying to set my weekly planner around despair

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The English chopped their king's head off before it was was cool. :v:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

When is the french elections over I'm trying to set my weekly planner around despair

I believe Le Pen becomes president in a fortnight.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
:69snypa:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I really just don't like the idea of a monarchy, no matter how much power they do or don't have. That said, the British can escape the Revolution as long as they call it quits once the Queen dies. She's cool enough to let stick around for a few more years but her family are basically all parasitic guillotine-fodder.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just lol at dumb Americans whose country was behind Britain in abolishing slavery, giving women voting rights, and making same-sex unions legal. Well done. Enjoy your glorious elected supreme leader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
America's Constitution is its equivalent to the British monarchy. Capital "C" am deeply everything. :D

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Just lol at dumb Americans whose country was behind Britain in abolishing slavery, giving women voting rights, and making same-sex unions legal. Well done. Enjoy your glorious elected supreme leader.

Gay marriage isn't actually legal in all of Britain yet. And some US states had gay marriage years before it was legal anywhere in Britain. So, in no way did Britain beat America in making same-sex marriage legal.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Paladinus posted:

Britain is a lot older than America so it took them a whole lot longer sctuslly

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gay marriage isn't actually legal in all of Britain yet. And some US states had gay marriage years before it was legal anywhere in Britain. So, in no way did Britain beat America in making same-sex marriage legal.

If you want to be pedantic, try beating two other monarchies, Denmark and the Netherlands.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
We've beaten them before in some war I'm sure.

USA! USA!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Paladinus posted:

If you want to be pedantic, try beating two other monarchies, Denmark and the Netherlands.

So what you're saying is Monarchies make countries more tolerant.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Apr 24, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Three with Belgium (where gay couples can also adopt children, choose assisted suicide, or both)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Three with Belgium (where gay couples can also adopt children, choose assisted suicide, or both)

Adopt children to kill them? Well, maybe it's a step too far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If the queen didn't exist our elected officials would have to do a lot more glad-handing and public events (bad idea).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Assisted suicide is illegal in Belgium.

You're thinking of euthanasia and gayness isn't recognised as either a terminal illness or a non-terminal illness that necessarily has unbearable suffering associated with it and has gone through the most common treatment options, so it doesn't qualify.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sassassin posted:

If the queen didn't exist our elected officials would have to do a lot more glad-handing and public events (bad idea).

If you think about it, Trump clearly would want to be European royalty instead of president. All the fun and fame, none of the political games.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

shuttttt uppppppp

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

"Britain had gay marriage before the US!"

There is no way to interpret that statement to make it accurate

"ugh, if you're gonna be pedantic about it..."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

"Britain had gay marriage before the US!"

There is no way to interpret that statement to make it accurate

"ugh, if you're gonna be pedantic about it..."

Actually, I said specifically same-sex unions. You idiot. You imbicile.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Most monarchies are more progressive than US in every way. I guess it's time to make a point about how Northern Ireland only recognises same-sex civil partnerships and not same-sex marriages. Checkmate, monarchailures. :smug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
PYF Funny Pictures 2.0: General Discussion

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Actually, I said specifically same-sex unions. You idiot. You imbicile.

gay marriage is better than gay unions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

I hope CPS takes that kid away from those monstrous parents! :mad:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Happy birthday to the ground! I'm not part of your systemmm

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Shut up you intolerable bores

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Scabs!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Go gently caress yourself. If that's even legal in your state, lmao.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Chard posted:

shuttttt uppppppp

Edit: content

UWBW has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Apr 24, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paladinus posted:

Go gently caress yourself. If that's even legal in your state, lmao.

You at least were on solid ground with the slavery and women's vote things, I'm not sure why you didn't just stick to that

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Aww, he thinks he's people!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UWBW posted:

Which pair of them is from the timeline where the Nazis won World War II and Donald Trump became president?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

UWBW posted:

Number 3 on my dick, number 1 on my face, number 2 can watch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

donquixotic posted:

Number 3 on my dick, number 1 on my face, number 2 can watch

:stonk: