Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Loopoo posted:

The new boiler ratios are so much nicer. I just haven't figured out a nice design yet. I was thinking of having a long line of boilers, and then having them output to a single pipe that feeds a line of boilers. But that means no more side-by-side inserting of coal into boilers :(

Starting it up now (was going to go to bed, but welp), but I'm going to try chaining boilers with two generators off of each, then a mirrored setup on the other side of a belt and inserters, like this:

pre:
G = Generator
B = Boiler
< or > = Inserter
^ = Belt

GGB<^>BGG
GGB<^>BGG
GGB<^>BGG
Edit:

Ratzap posted:

For power, I'm using double rows of boilers with a double row of engines each. So lay a belt in the middle and feed boilers off each side with the steam pointing outwards. Then run a double row of engines along the boilers with poles in between as usual. Someone mentioned 1 offshore to 20 boilers to 40 engines which should still be fairly compact laid out like this.

Oh, right. Poles. I guess to start out I'll have to space the generators so the wooden poles can work, but when I've got steel up and going it should be able to be fairly compact.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ratzap posted:

For power, I'm using double rows of boilers with a double row of engines each. So lay a belt in the middle and feed boilers off each side with the steam pointing outwards. Then run a double row of engines along the boilers with poles in between as usual. Someone mentioned 1 offshore to 20 boilers to 40 engines which should still be fairly compact laid out like this.

The obvious thing to do would be this:

pre:
<boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler><boiler>
  <gen>   <gen>   <gen>   <gen>   <gen> 
But you can't actually get the middle gens hooked up to power lines, then.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kenlon posted:

pre:

Just ad a spacer pipes between the boilers. Bam, done.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Kenlon posted:

pre:

Add a pipe between the boilers to fit in a pole?

With the rail settings- is the default RSO equivalent? Or is it even richer?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, okay.

Low frequency and Very Big size, plus I guess it decided to plonk me in the middle of a lake. I mean, starting off in the middle of a lake could be interesting. I can see land, and while I was hoping landfill would only be Red science as mentioned in a much older FFF, I guess they decided against that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Does oil show up right away, or do you need oil processing? There's no oil in my starting area and I'm getting scared.

Oil shows up right away, it might just be a few screens over and not right in the general vicinity of your starting area. If there aren't any near you, don't worry. You can make trains without needing any oil, as engines don't need oil. So by the time you need oil, you'll be able to set up a dedicated rail line to ship the oil from however far away it is to where you need it without too much fuss.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well you have everything you need for both red and green science.

Actually that map would be a fun challenge, mind sharing the map string?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That map looks loving incredible. Building a landbridge and having a dedicated train line leading to your official base that's off the island would be so cool.

Also, thanks so much for the boiler setup ideas, my brain works so differently and I was coming up with spaghetti plans instead of seeing the simple setups you guys recommended.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Just the map exchange string is all you need, correct?

quote:

>>>AAAPAAAAYwACBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMDCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAgUFl0
Nk3oCEHgCAhB4AAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ
GN7bWg98bQPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEBAQMAAAABBwAAAAECA
AAAAQIAAAABmpmZmZmZuT8BAAAAAAAAAEABAAAAAAAA4D8BmpmZmZmZ
2T8BzczMzMzM7D8BBQAAAAEUAAAAAUA4AAABwEsDAAEQDgAAAaCMAAA
BIBwAAAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAFmZmZmZmb2PwEzMzMzMzPjPw
EzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAIQAEAAAAAAAAkQAE8AAAAAR4AAAAByAAAA
AEFAAAAAQAAAAAAAABAAQEBAAAAAAAAWUABBQAAAAEZAAAAAQAAAAAA
ACRAATIAAAABAAAAAAAAPkABZAAAAAGamZmZmZnJPwEzMzMzMzPDPwE
zMzMzMzPTPwEzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAA0QAEAAAAAAA
A+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAAIQAEKA
AAAAWQAAAABZAAAAAHoAwAAAQAAAAAAAOA/AdAHAAABAAAAAABAf0AD
AAAAAAAAAAAAAADwP6nEiXc=<<<

Edit: No mods or anything, in case that matters.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I like the the map string seems to be screaming internally.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fans posted:

I would posit that A is a spacer or default character. It's a nice effect.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Kinetica posted:

Add a pipe between the boilers to fit in a pole?

Sure, that works, but it's not as elegant as being able to drop down huge blocks. :colbert:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Man, it seems so small, but when you actually try this it's amazing.

quote:

Fast in game interactions like fast inserting into/from entity and copy paste can be done by dragging instead of having to click one at a time.

And, to give a picture to help, here's what my planned steam setup basically look like, just stretching up until I reach the pump limit, whatever that will be. The spacing works perfectly with the wooden poles, aside from needing the two in the middle, but when I get underground belts that won't be necessary anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
.15.1 is already out: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44620

Fixes the Steam cloud crash and a few other errors on start.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There we go. Much better.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You could just make it slightly wider as well.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Fans posted:

I can't imagine looking at a stream of letters and imagining a non living object screaming.

Is that like looking at tcpdumps or http logs and imagining the holocaust? I guess I am just used to looking at repeating stuff.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I was going to ask if mod people had to do anything besides update factorio_version in info.json and reupload if the mod is really simple but

"changelog" posted:

When dying in multiplayer you leave behind a body with your items that slowly degrades.
is essentially my mod (mod site broken from overload) sooo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

so, to make military science bottles, you have to grind up gun turrets?! Wow. This is going to require automating a lot more stuff than I previously considered automating.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Speedball posted:

so, to make military science bottles, you have to grind up gun turrets?! Wow. This is going to require automating a lot more stuff than I previously considered automating.

That's the point they made in FFF. They were realizing people were still handcrafting a ton of essentials until really late in the game if not forever. So by making them a requirement for science it gets you focused on automated production early.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
A Juicero mod that squeezes the science out of the DRM'd science packs.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

That's the point they made in FFF. They were realizing people were still handcrafting a ton of essentials until really late in the game if not forever. So by making them a requirement for science it gets you focused on automated production early.

However most of those items are things that you think to yourself "a few by hand isn't too bad" and then you try automating it once and realize how much time you actually sunk into doing it by hand all the time.

I think the car and wooden power poles are the only things I do by hand now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

emoji posted:

A Juicero mod that squeezes the science out of the DRM'd science packs.

And a competing Juisir mod that let's you fill the science pack yourself to have a machine squeeze out.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Should we have a new thread title to commemorate the new release?

Not sure what it should be though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Speedball posted:

Blues have been downgraded a bit, and require engine units. Purples are the new blues and they require pumpjacks.

"hi techs" require a battery, a blue circuit, a speed module and 30 loving wires.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kinetica posted:

However most of those items are things that you think to yourself "a few by hand isn't too bad" and then you try automating it once and realize how much time you actually sunk into doing it by hand all the time.

Once I have a flying robutt I don't think I make anything except maybe stuff like oil refineries that you make a handful of times ever.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kinetica posted:

Once I get robots I have a couple of assemblers pull from requester chests to make wooden power poles so that raw wood doesn't just pile up in storage chests.

I can't say I've found much reason to make one car, let alone several. What am I missing?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Once I get robots I have a couple of assemblers pull from requester chests to make wooden power poles so that raw wood doesn't just pile up in storage chests.

I can't say I've found much reason to make one car, let alone several. What am I missing?

Car goes fast and comes before jumpy leg power armor.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's such a pain in the rear end with any trees around, though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

GenericOverusedName posted:

Should we have a new thread title to commemorate the new release?

Not sure what it should be though.

Factorio: Terraforming(verb): to blacken the skies; to pave with concrete
Factorio: Don't hand-craft nukes, have a machine do it
Factorio: An even better spreadsheet game than EVE
Factorio: Transport Tycoon Deluxe + Nuclear Weapons

e: Factorio: Trees are a pain in the rear end, fire is the solution

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Factorio: Recycling Turrets Into Scientific Progress

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Personally, I like saving space in my power suit and keeping my speed manageable for Base building, so I only put in 2 or 3 legs, so the car is nice having around for when I'm operating outside of my rail network. Plus, with the change where better fuels mean better acceleration and speed, vehicles might be rather impressive depending on what point they're tweaked around.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Onean posted:

Personally, I like saving space in my power suit and keeping my speed manageable for Base building, so I only put in 2 or 3 legs, so the car is nice having around for when I'm operating outside of my rail network. Plus, with the change where better fuels mean better acceleration and speed, vehicles might be rather impressive depending on what point they're tweaked around.

I want to see how fast a rocket fuel car goes

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Because I'm too lazy to wait for the right train to hitch a ride with, I build concrete highways for me to drive the car on when I quickly need to get to another outpost.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This junction from the advanced signals tutorial looks familiar...

Though I "beat" the tutorial without placing enough chain signals, I think it can still deadlock with a train going from east to west.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

Factorio: Now with SEVEN flavors of Kool-Aid!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hey, replacing an underground belt replaces both the entrance and exit at once, you don't have to click both of them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evilreaver posted:

these are my vote

Fans
Jun 27, 2013