Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Bobby sat in with Phish for 6 songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIfWxuktMU
edit: Samson & Delilah 00:00
Twist 06:45
Miss You 22:26
West L.A. Fadeaway 31:10
Playin' In The Band 38:45
Quinn The Eskimo 51:30

ragle fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

ragle posted:

Bobby sat in with Phish for 6 songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICIfWxuktMU
edit: Samson & Delilah 00:00
Twist 06:45
Miss You 22:26
West L.A. Fadeaway 31:10
Playin' In The Band 38:45
Quinn The Eskimo 51:30

that was beautiful

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This thread needs reviving, and with the release of Dave's Picks 21, there's no better time to revisit April 2, 1973. I love that Here Comes Sunshine-> Bobby McGee jam.

I took a break from the Dead for a while, but I still plan on finishing my 1972 effortposts. November is coming soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gosh I love a good "Here Comes Sunshine".

Speaking of, I bought a new PC and transferred my HD over, and I was seriously worried I'd lost pretty much all of 1982, but then I remembered I put it away in a folder so I wouldn't accidentally delete it. Phew!

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR9QjezRGg

Check out the intro music for John Oliver on The Late Show.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

My favorite Here Comes Sunshine is from later that year, 12/19/73, which was featured on Dick's Picks 1. Another great one is San Diego 11/14. '73 was great for that song.

Anyone going to Dead and Co or other GD-related shows this summer? I was able to snag tickets for both nights in Boulder.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I think it's time we had a talk about November 1972.

This was an excellent month for the Dead. October was a bit of a down period after the peaks of August and September, but November saw the band reaching new heights on their journey across the Dust Bowl. Fans of "Playing In The Band" should pay particular attention to this month, since the Dead delivered some absolutely epic renditions during this period. Let's dive right in!

11/12 and 11/13 are, unfortunately, only available on incomplete and relatively poor quality sources. The performances at both these shows seem really good despite the sound issues, especially 11/13, which has a really nice Dark Star-> Morning Dew. Hopefully some better recordings emerge someday.

11/14 is where things really get good. The recording quality is much better than the two preceding shows, and the band is likewise very good. I really like the rendition of "Friend Of The Devil" from this show, and there's a really great jammed out sequence of He's Gone-> Truckin'-> Other One-> Sing Me Back Home, which is sadly marred by a cut in He's Gone. Still, definitely worth a listen.

Then, we come to an incredible run of 4 shows, featuring some of the finest tunes the Dead did in all of 1972:

November 15 @ Civic Center Music Hall, Oklahoma City, OK
Earlier, I mentioned "Playing In The Band" as one of the highlights of this month, and 11/15 is the first of two amazing versions of the song. I highly recommend checking it out, as well as the "Wharf Rat" and NFA-> GDTRFB-> NFA, all of which were included as bonus material on Dave's Picks 11.

November 17 @ Century II Convention Center, Wichita, KS
Speaking of Dave's Picks 11, Dave made a great choice by selecting this show, because it's one of the finest of all 1972, and thus one of the best overall Grateful Dead shows. Excellent sound quality, and spot-on performances throughout, with hardly a dud track to be found. Even the songs that come across as filler at lesser shows crackle with energy on this recording. I heartily recommend that any Dead fan check out the central jam of Truckin'-> Other One-> Brokedown Palace- it's a beauty.

November 18 @ Hofeheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX
The first set of this show is nothing special, but the second is worthy enough that it was officially released as a single CD and 2LP as part of Record Store Day 2014. It features nice versions of "Greatest Story," "Jack Straw," "Deal," "Mississippi Half-Step," and oh yeah, one of the most mind-blowing renditions of "Playing In The Band" you will ever hear. I actually think this may be the single greatest Playing the Dead ever did, or at least the best standalone version. It'll fry your dang brain if you're in the right headspace.

November 19 @ Hofheinz Pavilion
That's right, the Dead returned for another rip-roaring night down in Texas. This show hasn't seen an official release yet, but it could easily have been packaged with the previous night, because it's a humdinger. Dolly Parton's "Tomorrow Is Forever" makes one of its very few appearances at this performance, and the best November Dark Star also rears its head. As a matter of fact, it's a Dark Star-> Weather Report-> Mississippi Half-Step. How could you go wrong with that combination?

11/22, 11/24, and 11/26 are all a step back from the peak run in both sound and performance quality, but are good listening nonetheless. "Playing" is still very good, though not quite as incandescent as 11/15 or 11/18, and there are some nice jams in the Truckin'-> Other One-> Stella Blue from 11/22, as well as the Dark Star-> Bobby McGee from 11/26.

Overall, a throroughly fantastic month of music, including one of the best shows the Dead ever played. Onward to December!

(you can read my previous 1972 posts here, here, here, here, and here.)

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 8, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good stuff, keep 'em coming.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

November 18 @ Hofeheinz Pavilion, Houston, TX
The first set of this show is nothing special, but the second is worthy enough that it was officially released as a single CD and 2LP as part of Record Store Day 2014. It features nice versions of "Greatest Story," "Jack Straw," "Deal," "Mississippi Half-Step," and oh yeah, one of the most mind-blowing renditions of "Playing In The Band" you will ever hear. I actually think this may be the single greatest Playing the Dead ever did, or at least the best standalone version. It'll fry your dang mind if you're in the right headspace.

I'll definitely stan for this "Playing". Some of you are probably way more hardcore than me re: Dead but I think my other favorite is 8/6/74- Donna is even on point!

https://archive.org/details/gd74-08-06.merin.weiner.gdADT.5914.sbefail.shnf

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

sweet_jones posted:

Anyone going to Dead and Co or other GD-related shows this summer? I was able to snag tickets for both nights in Boulder.

I've got a ticket to night one of Fenway this year (I went to both last year), and I'll be seeing Joe Russo's Almost Dead in July. Psyched for both!

Lately, I've been digging a lot of shows from 1973. In particular, I've been fond of the Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Morning Dew > Uncle John's Band > Playing In The Band sandwich from 11/17/73 (Dave's Picks 5) - it might be one of my favorite of all-time jams I've heard from them so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEkYLG9w3UM

Is anyone going to go to the Meet-Up At The Movies event this year? They are going to show The Grateful Dead Movie since it's the 40th anniversary this year, with a special mini-doc about the Cornell show. I've owned this movie for a while, but I've never seen it on the big screen, so that'll be pretty cool. National theaters will be having it on 04/20, but my local drive-in will be showing it a month later on 05/20, since the weather will be nicer and its a Saturday. I'll be there!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Just got tickets for Dead & Co in Saratoga June 20. Flying up from Tampa that day and back down the next day. Super pumped.

Had half a mind to try to rally some troops for Wanee this year to see Bobby with the Campfire Band among other good poo poo, but that festival has just gotten too drat big since Widespread got on board and you pretty much have to get to Suwanee two days early to get a site worth a poo poo. Or maybe I'm just getting :corsair:. Get off my lawn campsite.

Also, saw Joe Russo's Almost Dead at Fool's Paradise in St Augustine a coule of weeks ago for the first time and was very impressed. Oteil was playing with them, it was fantastic. T-shirt spotted at the show: "Let Oteil Sing"

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Anyone going to The Fenway shows in June? Really blows it's Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to some 76 shows. I know they aren't everyones cup of tea but they have their own quirks I like.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Anyone going to The Fenway shows in June? Really blows it's Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday

I'll be going to the Saturday Fenway show with my brother in law! It'll be a fifth time seeing them - I'm happy it's on a weekend instead of a weekday personally.

The two Fenway shows last year were awesome, so I'm psyched

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 25, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I'll be going to the Saturday Fenway show with my brother in law! It'll be a fifth time seeing them - I'm happy it's on a weekend instead of a weekday personally.

The two Fenway shows last year awesome, so I'm psyched

Yeah I went to Saturday last year with my old man and it was one of the most fun times of my life. We had a blast. Trying for Saturday again this year!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah I went to Saturday last year with my old man and it was one of the most fun times of my life. We had a blast. Trying for Saturday again this year!

The Sugaree > Fire on the Mountain combo was pretty awesome. John Mayer brought it that night, that's for sure!

The first night had a killer second set:

St. Stephen
Dark Star
Terrapin Station
Drums > Space
Terrapin Reprise > Morning Dew
Casey Jones

This year should be fun :) I'm really hoping for a China > Rider, Bertha, Althea, Throwing Stones and Shakedown Street - some I haven't seen yet!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 25, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I'd rather see rat dog.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I'm really excited to see JRAD Saturday, despite what looks like snow at this point.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Regarding Dead & Co: https://www.jambase.com/article/john-mayer-discusses-dead-company-charlie-rose

I really dug this interview. John Mayer seems pretty humbled and genuinely into the music, which is nice

sweet_jones posted:

I'm really excited to see JRAD Saturday, despite what looks like snow at this point.

That should be pretty awesome! I hope it all works out well, weather-wise.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 2, 2017

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Chicago peeps, live Nation is selling dead and co Wrigley tickets for $20 right now

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Chicago peeps, live Nation is selling dead and co Wrigley tickets for $20 right now

Fenway has $20 tickets too, I got two Sunday tickets so I'll be going to both nights again!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Wait what I can't find the $20 ones!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10078-the-grateful-dead-a-guide-to-their-essential-live-songs/

Grateful Dead further being re-positioned as part of Indie-rock cannon/royalty like Bruce Springsteen

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

yeah they must be digging for clicks, i went through the list and there's nothing I didn't already know/couldn't find elsewhere

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The stand-alone opening chord is a universe. The sound of multiple vocalists screaming out the words betrays an on-stage good time rolling. Garcia’s mountainous arpeggios—using a deeply metallic guitar tone—are a study in Sturm und Drang naturalism; while the hanging pause on which the players reunite is big-band tightness exemplified. A perfect vehicle when secondary drummer Mickey Hart joined in 1967, here the closing jam’s leap into Kreutzmann/Hart-driven hyperspace is a premonition of future Rhys Chatham/Glenn Branca/Sonic Youth punk-jazz explosions. Strap the gently caress in!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

The stand-alone opening chord is a universe. The sound of multiple vocalists screaming out the words betrays an on-stage good time rolling. Garcia’s mountainous arpeggios—using a deeply metallic guitar tone—are a study in Sturm und Drang naturalism; while the hanging pause on which the players reunite is big-band tightness exemplified. A perfect vehicle when secondary drummer Mickey Hart joined in 1967, here the closing jam’s leap into Kreutzmann/Hart-driven hyperspace is a premonition of future Rhys Chatham/Glenn Branca/Sonic Youth punk-jazz explosions. Strap the gently caress in!

loooooooooool noooooooo

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

An Apple A Gay posted:

yeah they must be digging for clicks, i went through the list and there's nothing I didn't already know/couldn't find elsewhere

Pitchfork is pretty much the last place I'd ever go to get live Grateful Dead recommendations from, to be honest.

On another note, it looks like the Dead & Company "Summer" tour starts in two days - anybody going to any shows? I'll be going to both Fenway shows as I did last year, and I'm really looking forward to it - last time was a blast. I also wanted to share this article I saw online with an interview from Bob Weir about the upcoming tour and I found this particular part intriguing:

[quote="Bob Weir" post=""""]
Are there any songs you're especially excited to explore with John Mayer this summer?

Yes, but that's always going to be the case. But this new wrinkle, which I'm not at liberty to try to attempt to describe because I really won't know what we're looking at until a few days into it at least ... that's what's got me going right now.
[/quote]

I wonder what this "new wrinkle" is. I've seen on Instragram that Oteil might take lead vocals on a few songs, which would be a great move. Oteil is a great singer - he sang the lead on "Dark Star" with JRAD back in March.

Link to the Article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-weir-on-dead-companys-summer-shows-1977-tour-w480777

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Saw Long Strange Trip in theaters last night and had a great time but woof what a heavy ending. I know it's just retelling how it all went down but going from reveling in the type of joy that the Dead usually brings me for three and half hours to looking at what it cost Jerry and others was enough to give me some serious emotional whiplash.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Is the official Cornell '77 an upgrade from the Betty Board bootlegs in terms of quality?
Are the other May '77 shows any good?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Llyr posted:

Is the official Cornell '77 an upgrade from the Betty Board bootlegs in terms of quality?
Are the other May '77 shows any good?

Look, I think they sound crisper because of the mastering, and probably a better transfer compared to my Matrix copies that I have.

I can't recall any of the specifics of those surrounding shows beyond "May 77 was incredible and all the shows were great". I seem to recall one of them having this insane "The Music Never Stopped", for what it's worth.

edit: my point being not that its good enough because of "The Music Never stopped", but the band is so hot they can elevate that tune of all things.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

An Apple A Gay posted:

At least Veneta is well-represented.

Anyone seen any of the shows on the current Dead and Co. tour? The setlists are looking real nice.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I saw both Shoreline shows and couch toured the rest. I think these guys are on another level right now.

It never stops being weird that it is John Mayer on stage, though. He sung one hell of a Deal on night one at Shoreline... but that's the same guy who wrote My Body is a Wonderland... It's really strange and paradoxical, but his chops are not a lie. If you haven't checked anything out, I think the past three shows are all top-tier DeadCo and worth listening to.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Pitchfork is pretty much the last place I'd ever go to get live Grateful Dead recommendations from, to be honest.

On another note, it looks like the Dead & Company "Summer" tour starts in two days - anybody going to any shows? I'll be going to both Fenway shows as I did last year, and I'm really looking forward to it - last time was a blast. I also wanted to share this article I saw online with an interview from Bob Weir about the upcoming tour and I found this particular part intriguing:

I wonder what this "new wrinkle" is. I've seen on Instragram that Oteil might take lead vocals on a few songs, which would be a great move. Oteil is a great singer - he sang the lead on "Dark Star" with JRAD back in March.

Link to the Article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-weir-on-dead-companys-summer-shows-1977-tour-w480777

I'm going to the Bristow, VA show on the 22nd. I never thought I'd be this excited for something featuring John Mayer.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
My dad surprised me with both night tickets for Dead & Co at Folsom field for my birthday. Tomorrow night's going to be pretty drat sweet.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Roark posted:

I'm going to the Bristow, VA show on the 22nd. I never thought I'd be this excited for something featuring John Mayer.

John Mayer has proven himself to be a great fit, surprisingly. He slays at the guitar, and what's nice is that he doesn't just regurgitate Jerry licks - he puts some of his own personality into it. Dude plays with a ton of heart, and I respect that. He also legitimately loves playing the music, which shows.

When they first announced that he was playing in Dead & Company back in 2015, I was surprised as I never thought he would be a good fit for the music. Boy was I wrong!

Enjoy!

AstroZamboni posted:

My dad surprised me with both night tickets for Dead & Co at Folsom field for my birthday. Tomorrow night's going to be pretty drat sweet.

That's awesome :) Happy Birthday and definately report back with how it went!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's awesome :) Happy Birthday and definately report back with how it went!

Night 1 was pretty loving amazing. Set 2 started with St Stephen -> Estimated Prophet that was one of the most epic goddamn things I've ever heard.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Night 1 was pretty loving amazing. Set 2 started with St Stephen -> Estimated Prophet that was one of the most epic goddamn things I've ever heard.

That Dancing in the Street was funk-tastic and was very remincisent of the Cornell 77 version imo

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Picked up a few tickets to Fenway Sunday night!!! Didn't think it was going to happen but price ended up being okay for some nice seats

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Had to miss night 2 in Boulder because we had to take my stepmom to the hospital.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
aaaaaaaieeeeeee - I have plane tickets from the west coast, Fenway and Spac tickets, and hotels all in various shopping carts. I have to buy tickets and grab a cab to the airport in the next 20 minutes or so. I really can't afford it but fucccking hell I want to. How many people here will be at Fenway/SPAC? Anyone have an extra seat in their car between Boston and Albany/Saratoga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Got tickets to tomorrrows show at Fenway with my dad and cousin! My dad and I went last year, it was literally probably one of the best nights of my life just jamming and drinking with my dad. I couldn't be happier to spend Father's Day with him tomorrow night at the show.

Ended up spending a lot on second section first row lawn seats, but it'll be worth it!