Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Bacter, you IMBECILE, what is THIS?

This is a thread about Deadbolt, a game by

In it, I'm going to successfully do a run where I get all the achievements. Why is that notable? Because of

Those three jerks.

To pull this off, I'll have to complete a run of the 28 levels in Deadbolt in:

Under 1 hour
Without quitting or dying.

ROAD TO THE TWO HORSEMEN RUN

In which I demo how to beat the game in an under an hour with no deaths. Full run attempts to be catalogued elsewhere.

:supaburn: THE TWO HORSEMEN RUN! :supaburn:

MOPPING UP - GETTING ALL THE OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS

The road to a really bad idea (hard mode all achievements run)

CASSETTE CULTURE

All but the last tape are get-able in normal mode. The last tape, as you saw, is only on hard mode to the very right in candledad's chalet.

Once you play the tape, your record player suddenly shuts off, and a candle shows up. It says "That doesn't belong to you", and takes the tape. You can get it back by re-playing the last level, but you can never listen to it more than once at a time. Speculation is welcome!

The images don't naturally show up with the tapes - I just added them in so you could remember which one was which. The image for the secret tape reflects my belief that That tape is of Ibzan, back in his reaper days

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bacter, you IMBECILE, what is THIS?

This is a thread about Deadbolt, a game by

In it, I'm going to successfully do a run where I get all the achievements. Why is that notable? Because of

Those three jerks.

To pull this off, I'll have to complete a run of the 28 levels in Deadbolt in:

Under 1 hour
Without quitting or dying.

Deadbolt is a twitchy, action-y, stealth-y game where you're a big squishy pile of two hit points. Almost anything in the game kills you instantly. And I'm not the usual speedrunning type.

Why did you abandon Skypizza's LP? I thought you were posting in there?

I was. On deeper reflection, I realized that since my whole THING is going fast, I'll be making videos faster than SP. And that means that I'd be waiting around for him to post a new section and then just INSTANTLY posting mine, and that's kind of a jerky thing to do to a decent guy.

I wanted to get out while I still had only 1-2 videos.

If you want to experience the game as a first-timer might, go check his out! I know I will be!

Well, can we not discuss the story, or Hopoo games, or

ALL TOPICS ARE OPEN

Spoiler policy?

NO SPOILER POLICY

Taking any requests for showing off particular weapons or loadouts or challenges?

SURE WHATEVER DUDE. MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 25, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's good to see you doing this. This game was super fun to play through and figure out my own routes through the levels (cause the game can be pretty open ended with that aspect), but yeah, gently caress some of those achievements. You're more of a stalwart man than me, Bacter and I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Also it's really pleasant to see that this dev wasn't just a one trick pony with Risk of Rain. Especially considering I think it's just two college dudes doing this in their spare time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this is good poo poo, Bacter. looking forward to seeing more. Risk of Rain was a cool game and this one looks pretty rad too.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
The second video starts with a time stamp. Any reason for that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
so does the first video. beat the game in under 1 hour, eh?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That's right - I'm keeping a timer so we can see how much time we've got left on the 1-hour challenge.

Edit: Also I thought that's what you meant by time-stamp. It's removed!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 25, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You are insane. Will be following this closely.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It's time to start a relationship with Vampires.

A DEATH relationship

(I didn't do a speaking error in level 1, I did a gameplay error. I took down the male vampire first, whereas the melee-focused female vampires are the better first targets)

So that's halfway!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 24, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm on a serious roll - this last segment of the Vampire levels MIGHT be the trickest in the game, at least for me.

I understand what makes the skellys technically more difficult enemies, and I guess the demons as well, though honestly I've never had much trouble from them, but at least the Vampire Final Boss is the most hectic level in the game, as far as I'm concerned.

It's ALSO the most fun. You'll bash your head against it a good few times before starting to get a handle on where the people are and where they're moving, and when you can consistently run it quickly, you feel like a gol-dang CONDUCTOR.

Edit: I did make a major mistake - the themesong of Deadbolt is not The Banality of Eternity, it is instead the excellent The Choir Invisible.

This music is SO GOOD

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I really feel I should point out that game is 100% bullshit for people not called Bacter.

I implore anyone who can to buy this game and see just how insane this LP is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
not surprised. Bacter made Teleglitch look easy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zenithe posted:

I really feel I should point out that game is 100% bullshit for people not called Bacter.

I implore anyone who can to buy this game and see just how insane this LP is.

Yeah.

Normally, beating a level makes you feel like a total badass after countless failures. Here... this is something else.

It's a pretty impressive performance, what I'm getting at.

(Personally, I liked running with the mousegun and the scythe. Sometimes I needed more ranged firepower early, but most maps being able to drop one enemy at the jump got you access to more options, and the scythe's lack of an ammo limit helped ease some of the math.)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The learning curve is really intense, I'll say that. Dying in that first tutorial mission is CERTAINLY not unexpected.

Which is part of why I like it so much - as you accumulate experience with enemy types, timing, and roughly where to aim to get good headshots, you start to be able to pull off some serious shenanigans. And knowing just how vulnerable you really are making taking down a whole safehouse of gun-toting undead much more satisfying!

Incidentally, the nation's top Deadboltologists are currently experimenting with using the flashbang, a tool I'd never given really any consideration to in the past, but which can be AMAZING for some levels. Details are forthcoming on if it's worth it to make an extra trip to Charon.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Bah, there's no learning curve to the game. It's just a question of bringing the right tools for the right job.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Leylite. I'M the guy who ran out of bullets on the final boss and did an insanity suicide run while the final boss's mini-gun spread RNG basically gave me a nat. 20. Man that was a fun game though.

discworld is all I read posted:

Bah, there's no learning curve to the game. It's just a question of bringing the right tools for the right job.

Lousy kids and your scythes! :argh:

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 25, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

discworld is all I read posted:

(total deaths; 13)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The unluckiest number!

So we're on to the final third of the game at this point, and... honestly, by the third wave you've got your skills up high enough (or SHOULD) that learning how to beat skelly levels comes much easier than it did with the vampires. It's less of a slog, but MORE difficult, and that's one of the things I love about the game.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 25, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

(total deaths; 13)
Yeah, I fully admit to being a scrub who will never get these achievements. Was just poking some fun at ol' Bacter who's the real master at this game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

My big issue with the scythe is... ok, my two big issues.

1) It's expensive as SPIT, so you won't get it until mid-game if you hoard souls, meaning you'll be stuck with the scrublord .32, or late-game if you're a reasonable person, and

2) It's quite unsafe. The two real joys to the headhunter are the instant kills (if you aim correctly!), and the sniping ability.

Enemies (with the possible exception of the final boss, who can snipe like a JERK) won't fire on you if you're outside a certain range, so the headhunter puts you in the excellent territory of being able to fire on an enemy without much fear.

The real downfall to the headhunter comes when facing an enemy taller than you who is also close to you. The angle to hit their head instead of chest (and enemies tend to be hulking figures, with protruding chests and small heads) is quite small, and a non-headshot with the headhunter is nothing but a wasted bullet. I don't think I've EVER killed an enemy with a non-headshot from the headhunter.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Blind Sally posted:

I had to look up that LP and am watching the episodes as time allows and I guess I want to be Bacter when I grow up.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Got a double feature today!

FIRST:

The last of the Road To The Horsemen!

And second, a really, really, REALLY bad idea.

I should mention about this one I'm not sure that it's possible, at least for me. The GOAL is to finish an all-achievements, Hard Mode run.

I really cannot stress how much harder hard mode is than normal in Deadbolt, ESPECIALLY in the first few levels (before you have the souls to get better weapons). None of the AI or behavior or speed is changed, but the enemy quantity and quality is increased so drastically, that it's... well, you'll see.

I'm trying to route this out, and I've got the first (zombie) segment to a reasonable time. It's not really safe enough yet to where I can consistently do 5 levels at a chunk - this video is 2 segments, one from start -> puff, the second from after puff -> Roland. Each one was my third or fourth try.

What will really decide if the run is possible is how much leeway I have at the end. If I have a good 6-7 minutes leeway, then it might be possible for a single-segment (where I actually GET the achievements). In a real one-segment run, I'll want to take my time and line up shots more, and I might have 6-7 minutes worth of slight delays in the course of a full run. If I can do these curated, optimized 5-level runs and only have 20 seconds to spare, I don't know that that's gonna happen.

Only one way to tell, goons. Let's Play!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Just gonna mention it because no one else has, I'm reasonably sure the 'river' that the demons are from the other side of is Styx. I mean, could be wrong, but sounds about right to me, especially seeing as you buy weapons from The Ferryman. I guess he smuggles guns on the side. Economy is crap for everyone, it seems.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

That's a good observation, and I think I agree - the whole area is relatively mysterious (we don't ever see non-undead humans, unless some of those corpses were never undead?), but it seems clear that the souls we pay Charon are, story-wise, if not mechanics-wise, obtained from re-deading the undead.

Our boss certainly isn't the God of Death, as it says, so who knows what's past the river, or how hell ties into a Greek-like "ferryman across the river" scenario, but, that's at least the situation there.

I guess our city could sort of be the undead settlement on the banks of the afterlife, which is kind of neat for a noir setting.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Vampires. Were. HARD.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Goodness, you are going to make it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Exactly how terrible is your laptop? This game is like 200 megs.

Also.

ZearothK posted:

Goodness, you are going to make it.

You are legit crazy Bacter.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Alternatively, how terrible is the game's code? Some of those "make a game" programs are really, really badly optimized.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I couldn't tell you - my laptop is ~5 years old, a bargain when I bought it, and missing some keys. Grad Student Edition, basically.

Really, the slowdown mostly seems to be when there are quick changes in light levels (like in the discos) or a bunch of particle effects.

Working on the put-it-together easy mode run!

What I'd really like is a way to mash up a bunch of failures so you can see where I die when I die. That'd be one thing if the camera didn't scroll around the levels, but since it does, I'm looking for a good way to do it.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry for the delay everybody!

So: I'm still thinking about a good way to show off my common failure points, but until then - here we GO.

Edit: That's 100% pure relief you hear at the end, and there would be more unbridled excitement if that wasn't my tenth try that evening.

Edit edit: The slowdown works itself out by the middle of Madame Stella. Sorry about that - it's stopped some runs!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 24, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That was fun to watch. Congrats on getting all the way there!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Congrats you absolute madman.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not usually one for even semi-speedruns like this, and this game is a LITTLE too long for runs like this to be something I'd do just for relaxation, but I really like the game mechanics a lot, and grinding the game's startling difficulty into a well-worn groove is, yeah, pretty fun!

It's just easy to get frustrated when you're 45 minutes in and miss one headhunter shot and that's IT.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As satisfying as that run was, the actual routing wasn't too bad.

It's more just doing things perfectly, or near-perfectly, for a solid 50 minutes that's the trick. And it requires a lot of re-tries, and, as I've said, not really my jam.

Doing this run on hard mode though? This is SUPER fun. Each level is ultra-hard to even complete, so learning to do it FAST is a real puzzle!

Anyway, the skeleton levels took a long time, so here's part 1-5

Edit:working on the timer!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 28, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Fixed the timer above, PLUS here's the first of the "other achievements", just tidying up the loose ends. We'll get everything but the all-levels-5-star this time, and get that next time.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

FINAL FOUR ALARM CLEANOUT

ALL VIDEOS MUST GO

First, the final nail in normal mode's coffin...

Then, the last of the hard mode route.

And that
is
that.

That's everything I set out to do in this Deadbolt LP. I'm HOPING Skypizza continues with his story-mode LP? If not, MAYBE I'd post something for the more story-based person, but basically, I consider that the end of what I wanted to accomplish, deadbolt-wise. Thanks for watching!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bacter posted:

That's everything I set out to do in this Deadbolt LP. I'm HOPING Skypizza continues with his story-mode LP? If not, MAYBE I'd post something for the more story-based person, but basically, I consider that the end of what I wanted to accomplish, deadbolt-wise. Thanks for watching!

You are crazy, and thanks for this crazy lp.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I know I already called you a madman, but that's an incredible combination of practice, technique and patience.

[edit] Hey, you didn't show the secret tape!

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know what, that's 100% true.

HERE IT BE (click on the tapes for the link)

All but the last tape are get-able in normal mode. The last tape, as you saw, is only on hard mode to the very right in candledad's chalet.

Once you play the tape, your record player suddenly shuts off, and a candle shows up. It says "That doesn't belong to you", and takes the tape. You can get it back by re-playing the last level, but you can never listen to it more than once at a time. Speculation is welcome!

The images don't naturally show up with the tapes - I just added them in so you could remember which one was which. The image for the secret tape reflects my belief that That tape is of Ibzan, back in his reaper days

• Locked thread