Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ah, I completely forgot that. Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I once tallied up all the awful poo poo that happened to Bruce in the DCAU and it is quite depressing.

Epilogue is a hopeful ending of course but you still have to consider all the time he spent alone before Terry came along. Also it makes me sad to think his buddies in the League all abandoned him, or more likely he pushed them away. I guess that romance with WW never panned out.

OnimaruXLR posted:

To all the people saying that Batman Beyond depicts a future where Batman has failed...

...did you think he was going to fix crime forever, or something?

Is the Kingdom Come scenario, where has has a fleet of Bat-drones running de-facto martial law on Gotham preferable?

He's the guy who punches muggers and saves the world from immortal terrorists. He's not going to single handedly fix apathy, greed, and corruption.

Bruce Wayne does a lot more than punch muggers. Although it depends on the depiction I guess, some versions of Batman are an ideal that you believe can triumph over everything. Except his own demons, of course.

The idea that he failed both as a hero and at life in general just reinforces the idea that Batman is not so different from the other weirdos he fights. That was an important idea in the DCAU of course but it's still not fun to consider in its full implications.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly thought the Bats/Wonder Woman romance in JL/U was tacked on and shoehorned.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The first couple of minutes of Batman Beyond being an older Bruce getting a heart attack while fighting muggers, who take the opportunity to nearly beat him to death, and are only stopped by Batman pointing a gun at them sure set one hell of a tone for the rest of the series

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gosh, I loved the good parts of Batman Beyond.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Calaveron posted:

The first couple of minutes of Batman Beyond being an older Bruce getting a heart attack while fighting muggers, who take the opportunity to nearly beat him to death, and are only stopped by Batman pointing a gun at them sure set one hell of a tone for the rest of the series

I know it'll probably look like I'm contradicting myself from earlier, but I actually really enjoyed this scene. If you're going to sell me on a story where Batman quits being Batman, that is exactly how I would think of it. Not just that he's physically incapable. It's that he's physically incapable and he had to finally break his code to accomplish his goals.

As others have elaborated on though, there's something about all of Batman's allies ever hating his guts that just makes me sad. I mean the League OR the Batfamily, not both. Bats did such an inadequate job that even in death, a bunch of punks have glorified The Joker and are running around with no Batman to stand in front of them. In fact, neither of his Robins are around to care to be The Batman either. Waller had to create a baby in order to find a person who would put up with the guy.

OnimaruXLR posted:

To all the people saying that Batman Beyond depicts a future where Batman has failed...

...did you think he was going to fix crime forever, or something?

Is the Kingdom Come scenario, where has has a fleet of Bat-drones running de-facto martial law on Gotham preferable?

He's the guy who punches muggers and saves the world from immortal terrorists. He's not going to single handedly fix apathy, greed, and corruption.

Well the thing about every other Batman story is that since they take place toward the beginning or in the middle, I'm free to imagine the adventure continues. Beyond takes place at the end. Bruce is bitter, old, and alone. That kinda bites. Even TDKR, another story that takes place at the end, finishes with "the adventure continues" and a new Robin.

But the adventure never continued and there were no sequels written ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's ok for stories to have endings, and it's also ok to look at what happens when a superhero is too old to super around and all his friends are dead, because these are things real people have to face one day.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Batman will never be allowed to be happy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I know it'll probably look like I'm contradicting myself from earlier, but I actually really enjoyed this scene. If you're going to sell me on a story where Batman quits being Batman, that is exactly how I would think of it. Not just that he's physically incapable. It's that he's physically incapable and he had to finally break his code to accomplish his goals.

As others have elaborated on though, there's something about all of Batman's allies ever hating his guts that just makes me sad. I mean the League OR the Batfamily, not both. Bats did such an inadequate job that even in death, a bunch of punks have glorified The Joker and are running around with no Batman to stand in front of them. In fact, neither of his Robins are around to care to be The Batman either. Waller had to create a baby in order to find a person who would put up with the guy.

Well the thing about every other Batman story is that since they take place toward the beginning or in the middle, I'm free to imagine the adventure continues. Beyond takes place at the end. Bruce is bitter, old, and alone. That kinda bites. Even TDKR, another story that takes place at the end, finishes with "the adventure continues" and a new Robin.

But the adventure never continued and there were no sequels written ever.

I sort of assumed Terry would continue being Batman after Bruce dies. Hei'd recruited his own group of sidekicks at various points in the show, And ther's even a Justice League for him to hang out with, including a Superman for him to hang out with.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Honestly, Beyond shows Bruce slowly repairing his life and after everything fell apart by showing him reconnect with everybody (except Dick) and take his company back.

I don't think it's anywhere near the utterly miserable ending for Bruce that people think it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I get the feeling if the show had kept going we'd eventually have seen the return of Dick Grayson and it mighta been pretty cool.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Whatever happened to Dick in BB? Kind of weird if they never brought him up

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

There's a point, I think in Return of Joker, where Barbara tells Terry to consider giving Dick Grayson a call, and hearing some of his stories.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

achillesforever6 posted:

They did, very briefly. I got the impression that the rift was widest between Bruce and Dick, making reconciliation very unlikely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

It's never explained in-series but out-of-series material basically says that Barbara got between Dick and Bruce.

I don't think Bruce ending up unhappy is precisely wrong. Bruce being someone who can't be happy is a present theme throughout all of TAS. It isn't that he doesn't want to do good or help people or care but he, personally, is deeply unhappy and his need to be Batman can't stand with his own personal desire for happiness. The end result is someone who saved the world but couldn't actually be a person.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's never explained in-series but out-of-series material basically says that Barbara got between Dick and Bruce.

I don't think Bruce ending up unhappy is precisely wrong. Bruce being someone who can't be happy is a present theme throughout all of TAS. It isn't that he doesn't want to do good or help people or care but he, personally, is deeply unhappy and his need to be Batman can't stand with his own personal desire for happiness. The end result is someone who saved the world but couldn't actually be a person.

I find the normal person vs. superhero alterego concept is one of the more legitimately fascinating aspects of comic books or comic book-based media.

A lot of people think Clark Kent is the disguise and Superman is the real him. Same for Batman. Even Bruce think of himself as "Batman " and not "Bruce Wayne" in his own head as shown by that one BB episode where some guy tried to drive him crazy.

I don't know what it says about the audience when they think the guy in the mask is "the real character" but I think TAS was intended to show us that neither Bruce nor Batman are actually the real person. They're both lies and facades crafted to fit different situations. I don't think he knows who he is and I don't think he thought about it, he just did things so he didn't have to think about it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

catlord posted:

Remember when Beyond was supposed to be the lighter "Batman in high school" show compared to TAS? The episode I think of when I remember that is April Moon, which ends with a guy about to get loving murdered.

Remember the scummy reporter who got turned permanently intangible and wound up sinking to the earth's core?

Batman Beyond had some really dark fates for its villains. In many ways, the ones Terry killed got off lucky.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

catlord posted:

Remember when Beyond was supposed to be the lighter "Batman in high school" show compared to TAS?

I don't think it was ever supposed to be that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember Gotham High was a thing that was considered at one point

I imagine it would have made X-Men Evolution look like Superman TAS at the very least

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sure at least one BSS regular would have defended it 'til their dying day if it had actually aired.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

NikkolasKing posted:

I find the normal person vs. superhero alterego concept is one of the more legitimately fascinating aspects of comic books or comic book-based media.

A lot of people think Clark Kent is the disguise and Superman is the real him. Same for Batman. Even Bruce think of himself as "Batman " and not "Bruce Wayne" in his own head as shown by that one BB episode where some guy tried to drive him crazy.

I don't know what it says about the audience when they think the guy in the mask is "the real character" but I think TAS was intended to show us that neither Bruce nor Batman are actually the real person. They're both lies and facades crafted to fit different situations. I don't think he knows who he is and I don't think he thought about it, he just did things so he didn't have to think about it.

This is a good post.

Everything about Bruce is a reaction to his parents dying. That's why that episode where The Hatter traps him in a dream is so tragic. It finally gives the audience a picture of who Bruce is when he's a whole and complete person. He's a guy who can play golf with his dad and is marrying a pragmatic woman who loves him and challenges him. He can walk around with a smile. He can make jokes with the family's oldest friend, Alfred. Someone else is out there saving Gotham, it doesn't have to be his burden and Bruce is in a daze at the thought that he can have a complete life now.

But well, this is noir. So it all falls apart.

But Bruce could have been a whole and happy person if it hadn't gone so wrong so early.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think it was ever supposed to be that.

I've always heard it was sorta pushed on them by the higher ups who were looking for something lighter and really wanted the "Batman in high school" concept, and then through development it became what we know. But now I cannot find a thing to back up what I heard (thanks Gotham High!) so I'll definitely concede I could have heard bad information.

Roth posted:

I imagine it would have made X-Men Evolution look like Superman TAS at the very least

gently caress I wish I could see that. It sounds awful.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean, the show definitely has more of a high school vibe than BTAS(several people working on it went on to work on Smallville after all), especially with episodes like the guy making a robot girlfriend or the one where the football team is juicing on Bane slappers and stuff like that, and the comparative simplicity of many of the character motivations is a big part of that(I'd be hard pressed to tell you Terry's love interest's personality beyond "love interest", and almost none of the villains have much depth beyond just being assholes), I don't think it was ever meant to be lighthearted in any way. It was simply meant to be more directly targeted at teenagers, which it obviously ended up being despite the creativity involved.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

Wasn't that a hoax?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, the show definitely has more of a high school vibe than BTAS(several people working on it went on to work on Smallville after all)

I glanced over BB's wiki page and IMDB full crew page and didn't see anyone who I remembered working on Smallville. Maybe I just don't remember, but who are these people?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wasn't that a hoax?

Don't think so.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_High

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Young Justice S3 will premiere at a new DC-branded digital service alongside a new Live Action Titans series.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dc-digital-service-titans-young-justice-outsiders-1202076831/

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Young Justice S3 will premiere at a new DC-branded digital service alongside a new Live Action Titans series.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/dc-digital-service-titans-young-justice-outsiders-1202076831/

quote:

In Young Justice: Outsiders, the teenage superheroes of the DC Universe come of age in an animated world of superpowers, super villains and super secrets. In the new season, the team faces its greatest challenge as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a genetic arms race spanning the globe and the galaxy.

Sam Register (Teen Titans Go!) is executive producing. The show’s creators Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman are producers; with the series’ Phil Bourassa also returning to serve as art director.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, given the way the show was scheduled before this doesn't really hurt its visibility I guess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is YJ a good show and worth checking out?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The first season is very good, although it takes two or three episodes to warm up. It's a well crafted season with a consistent overarching plot and a lot of character development, plus some good one off episodes. Up there with the all time greats in superhero animation for sure. Unlike JLU/BTAS though it doesn't reward picking out episodes at random to watch, it's structured more like a serial with an ongoing plot and developing characters.

Back when it was first airing I watched the Injustice League episode just to see what the show was all about and, in isolation, hated it, but that episode is totally good in the context of the stakes and characters that have been set up in episodes that ran before it. Worth watching it in order.

The second season is a mess with some good bits that suffers from huge cast bloat and weak characterisation. Probably not worth it unless you're curious. The first season rules though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked the second season. But the new season should be cool.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah Bruce not being allowed to be happy is a big point of mask of the phantasm. He meets Andrea and starts feeling happy again. But he feels guilt because of the vow he made to his parents. It ends up with Bruce crying on their gravestones looking for a way to get out of his commitment and saying he didn't count on being happy.

I really love that scene. It's an interesting take on Batman waivering from his goal to stop crime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Isn't yj coming to Netflix?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

HIJK posted:

This is a good post.

Everything about Bruce is a reaction to his parents dying. That's why that episode where The Hatter traps him in a dream is so tragic. It finally gives the audience a picture of who Bruce is when he's a whole and complete person. He's a guy who can play golf with his dad and is marrying a pragmatic woman who loves him and challenges him. He can walk around with a smile. He can make jokes with the family's oldest friend, Alfred. Someone else is out there saving Gotham, it doesn't have to be his burden and Bruce is in a daze at the thought that he can have a complete life now.

But well, this is noir. So it all falls apart.

But Bruce could have been a whole and happy person if it hadn't gone so wrong so early.

This is what I love about Mask of the Phantasm. The scene where Bruce is at his parents grave begging to be let out of his vow. He never expected to be happy, found it and has no idea what to do. It also (to me) strikes at the core of Batman essentially not wanting what happened to him to happen to another 8 year old child.

Add the scene where he suits up for the first time shortly after. The looking at the mask knowing there is no turning back once this is on. Really a couple of powerful moments.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

2nd season of Young Justice is good, it's just Blue Beetle season 1 instead of a real continuation of the show.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Young Justice season 2 is good, but it's a huge step down from the excellent first season. Still worth watching, but definitely be prepared for that drop.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
S1's alright but the middle is plagued with subplots of half the cast risking the whole team by hiding poo poo, makes for a satisfying end but the last episode feels rushed and sudden in resolving the problem. Then you get a decent sequel hook turned into the dumbest excuse for S2 and I dropped out.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hear it's good but I bounced after two episodes of "duh, Megan!!" and being expected to give a poo poo about Red Tornado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The fact that Young Justice is coming back is definite proof that either there is no god, or the one we do have hates my guts.