Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bold Robot posted:

It's a minor bummer that loot you find in the wild is almost never better than Witcher gear. The Witcher stuff is cool but it would be nice if ? location items weren't like always worse than what you have once you start doing the scavenger hunt quests.

People keep saying this but Relic stuff or found gear can be better than Witcher gear. My silver sword and my boots right now are loot items. Maybe it just depends on play style and build. The annoying thing about Witcher gear is the rune slots don't match up to other gear until at least Enhanced but usually only until Superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So that Sapkowski guy seems like a real goofball eh

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bust Rodd posted:

EDIT: The most incredible part of the Witcher's fantasy setting is the idea that in this fantasy world, everyone plays Magic/Hearthstone and they are all super into it and no one ever questions why someone who can slay dragons and werewolves is so into this game.

"Gonna take this Witcher for all his gold, my deck is unbeatable! Wait did he just a play a card of... himself?? +15 power and not affected by weather??"

That DICK! posted:

So that Sapkowski guy seems like a real goofball eh

Looking forward to the new Witcher novels he writes to spite the games' canon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also if you are playing on PC I cannot stress enough how much better it is with a controller. You can use all the hotkeys for potions and the map on your keyboard, but the combat is actually really fluid with a controller once you realize that dodge/roll are the utter backbone of the system.

People say the combat in the witcher is bad and I just disagree, its good and can be varied but the parts that are the most in need of streamlining happen to be the clunkiest. The only mod i would TRULY consider mandatory for the game is Auto-apply oils.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hobo Clown posted:

"Gonna take this Witcher for all his gold, my deck is unbeatable! Wait did he just a play a card of... himself?? +15 power and not affected by weather??"

Now I want a Gwent anime. Something like this? Or this?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

on PC, dodge is alt + direction which is very clumsy

however you can easily dodge by double tapping a direction key (wasd)

that hits your stamina less than rolling (space + wasd)

Yeah don't play this on keyboard, play on controller.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I did the battle of kaer morhen without finishing Redania's Most Wanted. I've never done this before. Did i just gently caress myself out of finishing Matters Of State?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, I was planning on it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

basic hitler posted:

I did the battle of kaer morhen without finishing Redania's Most Wanted. I've never done this before. Did i just gently caress myself out of finishing Matters Of State?
Nope, I didn't finish it (failed the quest) and got to do matters of state.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No Wave posted:

Nope, I didn't finish it (failed the quest) and got to do matters of state.

That's good to hear. I got pretty far past the battle, several hours at least. I love the resolution of that quest but not enough to go that far back

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Arglebargle III posted:

Is it too much to rebind dodge to a thumb button? I have never liked double button press dodging since unreal tournament or cluttering the left side of the keyboard so dodge on the mouse and just paying attention to your footwork was a easy choice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Delacroix posted:

Is it too much to rebind dodge to a thumb button? I have never liked double button press dodging since unreal tournament or cluttering the left side of the keyboard so dodge on the mouse and just paying attention to your footwork was a easy choice.

No, this is extremely good and the first thing I did as soon as I started playing, much nicer than even playing with a controller imo.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
One thing I would recommend if you're a true RPG sperg who really wants ~immersion~

Don't sprint or gallop at all. Walk, run, or trot everywhere. NPCs have several lines of dialogue and a lot of cool unique stuff you'll miss if you hurry through.

Take it SLOW. This game is huge, and most every NPC will have several lines outside of dialogue interface, so take your time and absorb the lines before and after your dialogue sequences.

There is no rush to finish everything. The best mods are those that allow you to do whatever you want, whenever. There are zero fluff quests, everything is its own story and often the quest structure subverts standard RPG tropes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pellisworth posted:

One thing I would recommend if you're a true RPG sperg who really wants ~immersion~

Don't sprint or gallop at all. Walk, run, or trot everywhere. NPCs have several lines of dialogue and a lot of cool unique stuff you'll miss if you hurry through.

Take it SLOW. This game is huge, and most every NPC will have several lines outside of dialogue interface, so take your time and absorb the lines before and after your dialogue sequences.

Counterpoint: There are lots of quests where you'll have to travel between points, especially within a city and if you're like me and calling/mounting/dismounting your horse repeatedly is annoying, you can guzzle a Werewolf decoction and sprint around to your heart's content.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lobok posted:

Counterpoint: There are lots of quests where you'll have to travel between points, especially within a city and if you're like me and calling/mounting/dismounting your horse repeatedly is annoying, you can guzzle a Werewolf decoction and sprint around to your heart's content.

absolutely, but the first time exploring a village or city you should take it very slow and soak it all in

NPCs have a bunch of unique banter and small side quests you will pick up just by listening

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The true roleplayer eschews the trot and run, and instead polkas through the world as CDPR and the Virgin Mary intended.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I start whatever quest it is where I'm not supposed to push Dijkstra? I did the quest where he and Roche want me to go find some guy who was taken by trolls, and Dijkstra was just like "thanks" and didn't say much more. I did Ugly Baby and the other Kaer Morhen stuff and then got a quest to go talk to Dijkstra. He said he didn't owe me poo poo because I didn't help him get his gold back earlier in the game. Do I just need to keep doing other stuff and the quest will come up somehow?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How do I start whatever quest it is where I'm not supposed to push Dijkstra? I did the quest where he and Roche want me to go find some guy who was taken by trolls, and Dijkstra was just like "thanks" and didn't say much more. I did Ugly Baby and the other Kaer Morhen stuff and then got a quest to go talk to Dijkstra. He said he didn't owe me poo poo because I didn't help him get his gold back earlier in the game. Do I just need to keep doing other stuff and the quest will come up somehow?

yeah just advance the main quest

edit: you will encounter one of Geralt's old bros and the dialogue includes my new favorite insult, "sock cucker"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

yeah just advance the main quest

edit: you will encounter one of Geralt's old bros and the dialogue includes my new favorite insult, "sock cucker"

Yeah that was amazing. That was in the part I already did. I'll just keep moving and I guess the next part will pop up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah that was amazing. That was in the part I already did. I'll just keep moving and I guess the next part will pop up.

since we're on the subject of trolls, I hope you brought some paint to the troll on the island immediately west of Oxenfurt?

e: the main reason I don't like Polish for the voiceovers is you're robbed of the goofiness of troll-speak, it isn't nearly as charming when it's just text

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 25, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

since we're on the subject of trolls, I hope you brought some paint to the troll on the island immediately west of Oxenfurt?

Of course. Every quest with trolls is killer. Hope to see more of them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Does anyone else absolutely loving hate the fate of kaer morhen in this game? I get that the wolf school just lost its senior member and grief is hard, but it's a huge remote castle. As witchers it just seems retardedly lacking in any sort of pragmatism to abandon a relatively secluded castle that while yes it's one siege away from being totally ruined, still very dumb that Vesimir's death leaves it all but abandoned.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

basic hitler posted:

Does anyone else absolutely loving hate the fate of kaer morhen in this game? I get that the wolf school just lost its senior member and grief is hard, but it's a huge remote castle. As witchers it just seems retardedly lacking in any sort of pragmatism to abandon a relatively secluded castle that while yes it's one siege away from being totally ruined, still very dumb that Vesimir's death leaves it all but abandoned.

It's disappointing, but the reality is there aren't enough witchers to maintain it even though it's still a pretty sturdy fortress. Also, the living Wolf witchers don't really mind that Kaer Morhen crumbles into dust because the witcher career and training loving sucks. Lambert is an extreme example of this but none of them have any desire to restore KM to its former glory. Seventy percent of witcher trainees die during the trial of the grasses, then they get to begin their life as a hated outcast killing drowners for pennies.

Kaer Morhen is home for the Wolf witchers, but none of them have any interest in rebuilding it. Vesemir tries to maintain it but it's more a matter of principle for him. The knowledge of mutagens is gone, everyone loving hates the trial of the grasses, no more witchers will be made. Kaer Morhen is gorgeous but as a witcher school it's dead.'

A handful of people will continue to use it but that's not a tenth of enough to keep it in good repair.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 25, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

basic hitler posted:

What are three guys gonna do with a castle in the middle of nowhere that needs millions of crowns in repairs?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

It's disappointing, but the reality is there aren't enough witchers to maintain it even though it's still a pretty sturdy fortress. Also, the living Wolf witchers don't really mind that Kaer Morhen crumbles into dust because the witcher career and training loving sucks. Lambert is an extreme example of this but none of them have any desire to restore KM to its former glory. Seventy percent of witcher trainees die during the trial of the grasses, then they get to begin their life as a hated outcast killing drowners for pennies.

Kaer Morhen is home for the Wolf witchers, but none of them have any interest in rebuilding it. Vesemir tries to maintain it but it's more a matter of principle for him. The knowledge of mutagens is gone, everyone loving hates the trial of the grasses, no more witchers will be made. Kaer Morhen is gorgeous but as a witcher school it's dead.'

A handful of people will continue to use it but that's not a tenth of enough to keep it in good repair.

i guess this is where i don't like the narrative in general. There are good reasons to dislike witcher training, but lambert being bitter about his training doesnt really diminish the fact that witchers are still needed. Yen being able to more or less reconstruct the trial of the grasses' first stages means this isnt unobtainable knowledge. Witcher 1 had a witcher in training who redshirts in the prologue. For the rest of witcher 2 and 3 nobody even tries to train someone up. closest being ciri. I think a school of witchers ought to know better than to let their emotions and disdain for witcher training to override the obvious need for a school of witchers that isn't totally lovely or corrupt. I doubt the secrets of mutation/witcher creation are unobtainable and it's seriously out of character to me to 1. Walk away from an effective base of operations 2. Condemn the school to die off for less than pragmatic reasons.

I realize at this point in taking issue with a lot more than the castle but i still find it irritating.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Lobok posted:

It's like rushing towards all the lovely games because that's all there's left after finishing this game :bang:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean you either get rid of forwards-and-backwards compatibility and wreck the idea of consoles being the longer term, cheaper option. Or you start getting bugs and really bad optimisation from developing for diverging hardware specs. Either way they're going to get a lot of salty console nerds. I don't know why they're rocking the boat at all.
This was back a couple of pages, and not really Witcher related, however I would imagine Microsoft and Sony have seen Pro and Xbox One S as testing the water for mobile phone lifecycles. it is quite possible that the market is more receptive of it than one might think, because nowadays consumers are used to being iteratlveiy squeezed on other things.

A lot of software is going Software-as-a-Service now, Office 365 and Adobe Creative Cloud are two big examples I can think of, that are sold to you as being better for you because you always have the latest version of everything, so you forget that you never needed the latest version of everything before, but now you do whether you like it or not because stuff you create isn't backwards compatible with earlier versions. How quickly people forget that they managed with Creative Suite 6 for a long time...

5 years ago I think there would've been much more salt about the idea of mid-cycle console upgrades. Nowadays? There will be some hardliners refusing to be part of it, but I suspect the majority - even the complainers - will probably upgrade.

edit: Back on Witcher - one thing I've found out is that you shouldn't do the Take What You Want quest (follows Where the Cat and Wolf Play quest) too early. I cheesed the level 24-25 Alghouls and Bandits with Igni, even though I was only level 14, and my reward was a nice Witcher sword called Teigr which I've subsequently found out is levelled according to the level you are when you do the quest. So, really I should've waited until I was around the level it suggested I should be to do it (level 25 IIRC), or ideally max level?

I've also discovered that it seems you can pretty much stunlock any mob by just casting Axii on it, attacking it a few times, casting Axii again, etc. In my experience Axii never seems to fail? (I have Delusion 3/3 and Puppet 3/3 but no Axii upgrades).

Durzel fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 25, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the game does a good job explaining that the Witcher training rituals are lost semi-on purpose. No one wants to make more witchers, not even the witchers themselves.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Even the guy who actually knows how to create witchers doesn't do that anymore so Kaer Morhen being abandoned is more of an extension of that rather than some abrupt decision. Sure that witchers realize that monsters are a threat to innocent humans but they never chose their profession, they were forced into it as children and are just men trying to make the best of the situation. They're mostly not some martyrs driven by a higher purpose to protect humanity so when there's no witcher who's willing to keep killing children until one of them survives extreme torture - the whole thing kinda falls apart. There are numerous quests in the game showing both witchers completely hosed up by their lifestyle (all witcher gear quests, the cat witcher, that guy who wanted to undo his son's witcher transformations etc) and also the world getting more and more controlled by humans to a point where it starts to be possible to imagine witchers as obsolete (we're not quite there yet though) so I felt that the idea was properly built up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Durzel posted:

This was back a couple of pages, and not really Witcher related, however I would imagine Microsoft and Sony have seen Pro and Xbox One S as testing the water for mobile phone lifecycles. it is quite possible that the market is more receptive of it than one might think, because nowadays consumers are used to being iteratlveiy squeezed on other things.

I've also discovered that it seems you can pretty much stunlock any mob by just casting Axii on it, attacking it a few times, casting Axii again, etc. In my experience Axii never seems to fail? (I have Delusion 3/3 and Puppet 3/3 but no Axii upgrades).

Consumers might be used to getting a new phone every few years but don't forget how much of that is because of the phones being subsidized by the plan provider. If everybody had to buy their phones outright at full price things would be different.

As for Axii, it works on nearly everything but the duration depends on enemy type and level.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Im going insane. Is there a Max amount of crafting items you can Hold on to? I know ive picked up more silver ingots than i have in my inventory!?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
And you use a mobile phone every day for important reasons such as calling people, receiving mail etc. that are a core part of everyday life.

A lot of people I know bought consoles because they don't want or don't have time to bother with a PC and rather want the convenience of "put disc in and play" to use their limited time for gaming.
I don't think buying a 400€ console every year is a priority to them.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Lobok posted:

Consumers might be used to getting a new phone every few years but don't forget how much of that is because of the phones being subsidized by the plan provider. If everybody had to buy their phones outright at full price things would be different.

As for Axii, it works on nearly everything but the duration depends on enemy type and level.
Good point well made :)

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'm sorry if this was already posted but the author of the Witcher books is hilariously salty about the success of the games.

"The Witcher author Andrzej Sapkowski has given an amazing interview in which he disparages video games as a narrative medium, repeats claims the games have lost him book sales, and says it was his books that made the games popular outside Eastern Europe – not the other way around."

"Throughout the interview Sapkowski has little good to say about video games, freely admitting he’s only in it for the money, and claiming that games are spoiling his “market” because all the authors he meets are younger than he is and think he writes adaptations of video games. "

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/19/the-witcher-author-thinks-the-games-have-lost-him-book-sales-metro-2033-author-says-this-is-totally-wrong/

Original interview here: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a-no-bullshit-conversation-with-the-authors-behind-the-witcher-and-metro-2033

Apparently CD Projekt Red offered him a share of the profits for the rights to the series back in the day. He rejected this in favor of a
lump sum since he didn't believe in the project.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hopper posted:

And you use a mobile phone every day for important reasons such as calling people, receiving mail etc. that are a core part of everyday life.

A lot of people I know bought consoles because they don't want or don't have time to bother with a PC and rather want the convenience of "put disc in and play" to use their limited time for gaming.
I don't think buying a 400€ console every year is a priority to them.

I don't think most people buy a new phone every year, though. Don't most people buy one and keep it a few years before replacing it when it hits a wall of planned obsolescence?

I'm the worst person to comment on this, though I haven't owned a console since the SNES and I didn't own a smartphone till last year.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Affi posted:

Im going insane. Is there a Max amount of crafting items you can Hold on to? I know ive picked up more silver ingots than i have in my inventory!?

No limit, but they're stacked up to 99, and then a new stack of same item is created. Look around in the inventory, maybe there's another stack of them somewhere.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Ars is giving out codes for a free version of the first Witcher game on GOG if anyone's interested -

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/04/ars-gog-free-games-partnership/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Affi posted:

Could be that you're forgetting the items that you've crafted that used up silver ingots or in your memory you're lumping in similar but different ingredients like silver ore, dark silver, silver plate, meteorite silver, etc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Palpek posted:

There are numerous quests in the game showing both witchers completely hosed up by their lifestyle (all witcher gear quests, the cat witcher, that guy who wanted to undo his son's witcher transformations etc) and also the world getting more and more controlled by humans to a point where it starts to be possible to imagine witchers as obsolete (we're not quite there yet though) so I felt that the idea was properly built up.

Witchers already are pretty much obsolete, it's just that the continued existence of a few of them is preventing the world from taking the steps to finalize it. Almost nothing the witchers do is now exclusive to them. Signs can be taught to anyone, the knowledge of monster behavior is cataloged in universities like Oxenfurt, and mages possess enough power and knowledge to lift nearly any curse. The thing is, there is currently a bunch of witcher's roaming around still, so all of these groups can just pass the buck to them. However as witchers are being lost via attrition and not replaced (at least in the North, we do not really know how the Bear and Manticore school are doing, for all we know they are flourishing), there will eventually be a need to figure out a replacement.

It's hinted at with the Reavers Geralt meets a few times. They know what a monster can do, and do things like bring a big rear end ballista to shoot the monster. In a world with little to no witchers, you could replace them with witcher-lites. People trained to fight monsters, taught their habits and behaviors, taught to use signs, armed with silver spears and swords, and heavily armored. For the monsters too strong even for them to tackle, they have mages on call that they can bring in to handle extremely dangerous situations.

Witcher's only need their senses and powers because they have to fight monsters by themselves. In a world without them as cheap option, states would just finance their own monster squads and handle it that way, since it benefits no one to have a fiend killing travelers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Even White Orchard is all about common soldiers being able to kill monsters (badly.) You just need the manpower.