Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Sector Archimedes. A location in the far reaches of the Centaurus Arm of Segmentum Ultima. Archimedes is funny, seeing as it has a Sector designation without ever having been part of the Imperium of Man. Brief contact was made with the Sector during the Great Crusade, and an expedition Fleet containing Emperor's Children and Ultramarines were sent to bring it into the fold. Shortly after the Horus Heresy broke out, and around the same time a perfect storm of warp storms, black holes, and space-time anomalies opened up around the Sector, making travel all but impossible.

An area of unknown space that has never known the light of the Emperor. Records dating back to the Dark Age of Technology speak of planets rich in resources and the center of technology, but these records have not been confirmed; not to mention what damage the Age of Strife may have caused.

And so Sector Archimedes has remained for ten thousand years; until now.

An Exploration Fleet on the other side of the galaxy in Segmentum Pacificus had located a stable warp gate, a piece of ancient technology of unknown origin allowing safe travel between two points in the warp. A survey probe was sent through and came back. The Astrogational data it contained verified that the warp gate's exit is in the area of space known as Sector Archimedes, inside the impenetrable wall of anomalies.

Word quickly spread, and your vessel was one of the first to make it to the Mechanicus instillation springing up around the ancient device. Using the authority of your warrant, you demanded access to this untapped region of space.

Too bad for you that something goes wrong during the voyage, and you find yourself on the other side, the sister gate in Sector Archimedes destroyed by your passing.

You are trapped in wild space, with no hope of any assistance, with planets never ruled by the Imperium of man.

Inspirational Music

Okay, welcome to my most recent attempt to run a Rogue Trader game using Fantasy Flight Game's rule system. However, I want to try and run a game using Discord and Roll20. I'm in a few games using these systems, and it has made me want to run a game myself. The goal is to have a game inspired by stranded sci-fi tales like Lost in Space, Mass Effect Andromeda, and Battlestar Galactica, where you are stuck in first contact scenarios, but have to rely on your wits and limited resources (at first).

The game still takes place in the 40k universe, so a lot of the standard factions like Chaos, Necrons, Orks, Eldar, etc will be present, but in ways different than seen in the galaxy at large. You will also be dealing with people with no understanding of who the Emperor is, and with no ability to back up your threats of the Imperium at large or leverage your resources in the Imperium. You are truly alone.

So logistics out of the way:

-I am looking at running the game once a month.
-I will be running it in the evenings on weeknights. The day of the week is not set yet, and open to discussion. It would likely be Monday Through Thursday. I am not sure yet if it will be a set day (the first Tuesday of the month) or if instead we would have it be a floating day, essentially setting the day of each game day as we go.
-I am U.S. Central Time, which is GMT-5. I would be thinking of running the game between 6-11 p.m. CST which is 11 p.m.-4 a.m. GMT. I understand this is going to count out a lot of Europe goons, and I apologize.

-Roll Everything using orokos, game name: Where No Imperial Has Gone Before. Roll 10 drop one for stats.
-Advanced starting stuff from Into the Storm allowed.
-Follow the origin path the "Trials and Travails" row being a free row, meaning that you can use any of the trials and trevails, but you still need to follow the origin path. Meaning if you sub "the hand of war" with "dark Voyage" you still would need to pick from the next row as if you had picked "The hand of war"
-Starting EXP levels and acquisitions
-Starting ship will likely be done the first session, but you're likely going to have 0 profit factor when all is said and done, since you're literally stuck with no aid in a remote part of the galaxy.

Recruit will be open for an indeterminate time. I first have to see if there is enough interest/availability.

Werix fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Reserved for OOC stuff like house rules

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Cedric Wolde

Alright, alright, quiet down. I'm back from the bridge and I've got news. There's some good and some bad. You know the order they're comin' in.

That shudder through the hull, that shockwave in the Warp? Yeah, that was the Warp gate breaking up behind us. Quiet! Whimper and moan on your own time, I'm talkin' here. Now, we don't know if it can be repaired, but even if we knew how it worked in the first place--and we don't--I'm guessing we ain't got anything on hand that could be used to fix it. So: from here on out we are on our own. We're not getting back to the Imperium in the near future, we're not sending transmissions back in the near future, and there's no backup coming. We're stuck. Sector Archimedes is hostile territory and we're stranded with no supply lines.

We got no idea what's over here. If there are humans, odds are they've never even heard of the God-Emperor. Expect xenos, and heretics, and... Chaos, drat their eyes. Yeah. There ain't no Black Ships, ain't no Inquisition, ain't no Imperium out here. So far as we know, we're the first Imperials to come here since the time when the God-Emperor himself walked among men. So... we're alone, is the point I'm makin' here. And that's probably not gonna change. That's the bad news.

What's the good news? Well, you remember when they told you back on Terra that there are no stupid questions? No? That's because they never said that. Of course there's stupid questions. We all just heard one. The good news is that we have the privilege of rising above this challenge. This is a chance to ascend from our lowly stations, to accomplish something legendary. Most of you were probably just kids when you got carted off to Terra, so I'll forgive those skeptical looks, just this once. Me, I was in the Guard 6 years before my mind opened to the Warp. You know what I learned there? Adversity makes heroes. Ain't no Imperial Saints who lived in peaceful, easy times. They might teach psykers mental discipline but they sure as hell don't teach military discipline. If was up to me, I'd make sure every psyker saw a few battlefields before they did anything else. Sitting around acting as glorified relays makes for soft people with soft minds, and if there's anything the Imperium needs less of, it's people who don't pull their drat weight.

You spend enough time in hand-to-hand combat with the Archenemy, you learn to get tough real quick, or you die. You know how my powers manifested? Good, then you get to hear the story again. I ran out of ammo right as some screaming Chaos manic jumped me. On instinct and fury alone, I froze his arm up to the elbow, snapped it off, and beat him to death with it. Commissar was so impressed he just clocked me and sent me off to the Black Ships instead of shooting me. Yeah, I'm sure if you still had eyes half of you would be rollin' em, but it's true, dammit. I got nothing to prove to you, and you've got everything to prove to me. Just because we work for a Rogue Trader don't mean our job is supposed to be easy. Rogue Traders are supposed to be pushing the limits, spreading the Imperial light to places that have never seen it, bringing profit and glory to the Golden Throne. Well, whether we like it or not, we're living up to that expectation now.

We're all just a part of the greater Imperium. We all have our duty to fulfill. And whether you get memorialized or not for doing your job, you owe it to yourself, mankind, the God-Emperor, and to me to give 110% effort at all times. Slackers and quitters are no better than heretics so far as I'm concerned. So from here on out, here's my direct order: don't you dare die on me. It's my job to keep this Choir alive and functional, and now that we're not getting any replacements it's more important than ever that you keep it together. No skimping on prayers or meditation. You feel off at all, I expect you to come to me. You feel too fatigued to participate, let me know and I'll sit you out for a few sessions; I'm not risking burning you out without good reason. And if it sounds like I'm being easier on you than usual, it's because everything else is about to get a lot harder. The lives of every man and woman aboard this ship depend on us. We're the lifeline, alright? Just because there's no Imperial messages coming or going doesn't mean there's not gonna be anything to hear or send.

I know how you feel, alright? It's not looking good. But the only guaranteed way to fail is to not try. So think of it this way: this is your chance to prove Grumpy Old Man Cedric wrong about you. I'm living proof that we don't have to burn out by 40. Show me that iron willpower. Show me you can live up to my high standards. Let's show Sector Archimedes what humans can do when they've touched the soul of a God.

quote:

Career: Astropath Transcendent
Homeworld: Void-Born
Birthright: Scavenger
Lure of the Void: Tainted (Mutant)
Trials and Travails: The Hand of War
Motivation: Devotion (Duty)
Lineage: None

Characteristics:
WS: 37 (25 +12)
BS: 34 (25 +9)
S: 31 (25 +11 -5 Homeworld)
T: 40 (25 +15)
Ag: 43 (25 +13 +5 Advance)
Int: 42 (25 +12)
Per: 42 (25 +12)
WP: 60 (25 +14 +5 Homeworld +3 Birthright +3 Motivation +10 Advances)
Fel: 32 (25 +7)

Wounds: 9
Fate Points: 4
Insanity: 4
Corruption: 0

Skills:

Awareness
Common Lore (Adeptus Astra Telepathica)
Dodge
Forbidden Lore (Psykers)
Invocation
Navigation (Stellar) (U)
Pilot (Spacecraft) (U)
Psyniscience
Scholastic Lore (Cryptology)
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic, Ship Dialect)

Talents:

Armor of Contempt
Hatred (Chaos Worshipers)
Heightened Senses (Sound)
Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
Pistol Weapon Training (Universal)
Resistance (Fear)
Warp Affinity

Psychic Powers:
PR 3

Telepathy
-Astral Telepathy
-Thought Sending
-Mind Probe
-Delude
-Mind Link

Voidfrost (ND)
-The Void's Touch
-Breathstealing Barrage

Traits/Abilities/Other:

Charmed
Ill-Omened
Void Accustomed
Soul-Bound to the Emperor
Psyker (Sanctioned)
See Without Eyes
Wyrdling
The Face of the Enemy

Gear:

BC Stub Automatic
GC Power Sword (Mordian Pattern)
Shock Staff
Guard Flak Armor
Charm
Void Suit
Micro-Bead
Psy-Focus

Acquisition:

GC Power Sword (Mordian Pattern) (-20 Very Rare -10 Good +30 Negligible)

Advances: EXP 6850/7000

Starting Expenditures-4500
Mutant-200
Duty-100
Dodge-200
Agi +5-250
Int +5-100
WP +5-100
Per +5-250
FL (The Warp)-100
Literacy-100
WP +5 (2)-250
Warp Affinity-500
Mind Link-200
Characteristics: 14 12 12 15 7 13 11 12 9
Wounds, Fate: 1 6
Insanity: 4

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 16, 2017

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
Wednesdays are my only guaranteed day off so if the day you pick is a Wednesday I'll totally make someone for this.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
interested, and given the timezone I might actually be able to play!

Adelaide Obeywan-Closeau, Rogue Trader

The finest breeding. The most expensive finishing schools. A list of illustrious ancestors so long it takes a dedicated cargo servitor to carry the scrolls. Accounts with all the major trading houses in good order. All utterly meaningless on the wrong side of a broken warp portal. A lesser woman might be distraught, or seek to place blame for this unexpected twist of fortune on some unfortunate subordinate. But Adelaide is not a lesser woman. She is a Rogue Trader, empowered by an Imperial Warrant to explore beyond the boundaries of known space and bring systems into compliance. So long as there is reaction mass in the plasma drive and the Navigator can see the Astronomicon, she will not cease from her struggle to become as great as any who have born her family name.

pre:
Career: Rogue Trader
Homeworld: Child of Dynasty
Birthright: In Service to the Throne - Born to Lead (200xp)
Lure of the Void: Chosen by Destiny - Fated for Greatness
Trials and Travails: Darkness - Dark Secret (200xp)
Motivation: Fortune
Lineage: A Proud Tradition - Heir Apparent (100xp)

WS 40
BS 33
S 33
T 36-3-3
Ag 33
Int 40+3
Per 31 
WP 37-5
Fel 43+5+3+6

Wounds:  7
Fate Points: 5
Insanity: 5
Corruption: 

Skills
Command +10
Commerce
Charm 
Common Lore (Imperium)
Evaluate
Literacy +20
Scholastic Lore (Astromancy, Tactica Imperialis) 
Speak Language (High Gothic +10, Low Gothic)

Talents
Air of Authority
Pistol Weapon Training
Melee Weapon Training

Traits:
Dynastic Warrant: 
+3 Ship Points

Honour Amongst One’s Peers: 
+5 bonus to all Fellowship Tests with offcials of the Imperium and members of the Imperial nobility

Unseen Enemy: 
gain the Enemy Talent; the group is this unseen foe.

Exceptional Leader: 
As a free action once per round, grant an ally that he can see and who can hear him +10% to any one test.

Gear: Carrying Capacity 36kg
CC Plasma Pistol 4kg
CC Power Sword 3kg
Micro-bead 
Void suit  
Set of fine clothing 
Xeno-pelt cloak 
best-Craftsmanship enforcer light carapace 7.5kg
Starting Acquisition: Conversion Field

Stats: 10#2d10+25 37 33 40 40 33 30 36 43 33 31

Wounds: 1d5+6 7

fate: 1d10 7=3+1+1

Insanity: 1d10+1d5+1 5

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 22, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Axqu posted:

Wednesdays are my only guaranteed day off so if the day you pick is a Wednesday I'll totally make someone for this.

Wednesday is a likely the choice. My dumb rear end decided to do community theater again, and if rehearsal is anything like the last play I was in, it was Monday, Tuesday, Thursdays, so Wednesdays would likely be clear. I will know more once the director gets all her parts filled and gets the schedule done.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Community theater is just practice for doing funny voices on discord voice chat.

I'll submit some kind of wacky dude.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, while I am familiar with Rogue Trader, I've never played it, and in fact I've never played much of any proper tabletop despite many attempts otherwise. I'd like to try this out, but it'd be a teaching experience and I might need help making my character. Up to you, DM.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

So, while I am familiar with Rogue Trader, I've never played it, and in fact I've never played much of any proper tabletop despite many attempts otherwise. I'd like to try this out, but it'd be a teaching experience and I might need help making my character. Up to you, DM.

We were all new once, and everyone here is good people. I can help ya, though everyone here can also pitch in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alright, where would be the best place to hash this out? PMs? Discord? Here?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JT Jag posted:

Alright, where would be the best place to hash this out? PMs? Discord? Here?

If you have an irc client, we have a channel called #acolyte on synirc.net

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Been hoping for a 40k game to pop up. It means I can run with a character I've had in mind for a while based on Olga of Kiev.

Missionary Helga

Helga came from the nobility of Vostroya. While her brother was shipped off to fight with the firstborn and her sister dealt with family affairs, Helga decided to work on studying the worship of The Emperor and joining the Ecclesiarchy. Eventually, it was decided that being of noble descent, it was best that she be sent off to work as a missionary on a rogue trading vessel.

Unfortunately, the first attempt would not go so well.

After about two years of relatively easy missionary work, the ship she was on experienced a mutiny. Several hundred members of the crew were in fact cultists of the ruinous powers. They killed most of the crew capable of putting up a fight and were planning to take the remainders as slaves. However Helga would not go down easily. She lead the captives in a counter-revolt, cleansing the heretics in holy flame. She then got the survivors back to civilization and reported her tale.

The experience changed her. What had previously been a healthy amount of love and respect for The Emperor's will grew into an obsession an extremely healthy love for the emperor. She developed a "join or die" policy, where if she could not manipulate, she would burn. She had a self-righteous attitude, seeing herself as invincible so long as The Emperor were by her side.

Her superiors were horrified and upset by this story, specifically the part where she hadn't noticed a chaos cult building. However some did have respect for her ability to survive such odds. Ultimately, it was decided that she should be sent on the Archimedes expedition, where not only could she be sent to spread the word of the Emperor's glory, but also be conveniently out of sight and out of mind until she either died or brought back a large number of new followers.

The fact that she cannot return home is hardly a concern for Helga. The Emperor protects, and if anyone provided resistance, she had plenty of promethium with her.

pre:
Missionary Helga of House Pskov

Career: Missionary
Homeworld: Noble-born
Birthright: Savant
Lure of the Void: Zealot
Trials and Travels: Dark Voyage
Motivation: Devotion (Creed)

Characteristics:

WS:	41 (25	+16)
BS:	34 (25	+9)
S:	31 (25	+6)
T:	32 (25	+10 -3 Birthright)
Ag:	37 (25	+12)
Int:	39 (25	+14)
Per:	38 (25	+13)
WP:	40 (25	+15 -5 Homeworld +5 Lure of The Void)
Fel:	50 (25	+17 +5 Homeworld +3 Birthright)

Wounds: 8
Fate Points: 2 
Insanity: 12

Skills:

Charm
Common Lore (Imperial Creed, Imperium) (Int)
Forbidden Lore (Heresy, Ruinous Powers) (Int)
Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed) (Int)
Dodge (Ag)
Literacy (Int)
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic) (Int)

Talents:

Peer (Ecclesiarchy)
Pure Faith
Inspire Wrath
Unshakeable Faith

Traits/Abilities/Other:

Ettiquette
Legacy of Wealth
Supremely Connected
Vendetta (House Drevil)
Unnerving Clarity
Things Man Was Not Meant to Know
Marked by Darkness

Gear:

Good Craftsmanship Chainsword
Good Craftsmanship Flamer
Best Craftsmanship Guard Flak Armor
Ecclesiarchal Robes
Aquila Pendant
Sepulchre
Censer and Incense
Micro-Bead

Acquisition:

100 canisters of flamer fuel.

Advances: EXP: 4900/5000

Starting Expenditures: 

4500 XP (Strating Expenditures)
200 XP (Creed)
100 XP (Dodge)
100 XP (Medicae)
Characteristics: http://orokos.com/roll/508761
Wounds: http://orokos.com/roll/508797
Fate Points: http://orokos.com/roll/508799
Insanity: http://orokos.com/roll/508827

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 24, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Magos-Explorator Varsen 133 "Lee"

Magos-Explorator Varsen 133 is driven by an eccentric machine spirit, and his coterie of adepts and tech-priests are even worse. Varsen tolerates no hereteks, but at the same time the unique nature of his work drives him to adopt unorthodox methods to what more rigid thinkers would consider unsolvable problems. He gives great leeway to his underlings to pursue their own research and suggest potential solutions to situations. So long as it doesn't interfere with the mission parameters, the minor efficiency loss due to wasted time is more than made up for by the 23% increase in cogitator activity his acolytes usually see.

If he was still on a forge world he would be long dead of course. But he and his teams have spent decades hopping from one Rogue Trader ship to another, anyone who was willing to try and jump out further into unexplored space, tracking down any rumors of archeotech and mechanical relics from the golden age of human scientific knowledge. When word went out that a portal to a completely unexplored sector, beyond the boundaries of the Great Crusade itself had been found? It was not a request that he be assigned to the first ship that would venture forth. It was a demand to his superiors that he and his team was by far the only logical choice to represent the Mechanicus in this new territory.

His superiors couldn't argue. From their perspective it would be fine either way. Either Varsen would return victoriously with relics in hand, or he would never be seen again. Unlimited upsides, zero downsides.

====
"Are you telling me that you have constructed an Abhorrent Intelligence?"

"No, no Magos-Explorator. Merely that by linking these cogitator banks to work in parallel we have increased processing power to the point it appears to simulate thinking."

"Ah. So it's not actually thinking, it just puts on a show that looks like it?"

"Indeed Magos-Explorator."

"Well that's no different from the rest of you. Carry on then."

===

quote:

Name Explorator Varsen 133 "Lee"
Homeworld: Forge World
Birthright: Stubjack
Lure: Dark Visionary
Trials: Dark Secret
Motivation: Exhileration
Role: Explorator
Lineage: Heir Apparent

Cur.Wounds 10
Wounds 10
Cur. Fate 4
Fate 4

Fatigue
Insanity 6
Corruption

Armour
Head 10
Larm 10
Rarm 10
Body 10
Lleg 10
Rleg 10

Stats:
WS 27 = 32 - 5
BS 44 = 39 + 5
S 35 = 35
T 40 = 37 + 3
Ag 36 = 36
Int 55 = 44 + 5 + 6
Per 35 = 35
WP 38 = 38
Fel 33 = 33

XP spent 5000xp
XP unspent 000xp
XP total 5000xp

Skills:
Common Lore (Koronus Expanse)
Common Lore (Machine Cult)
Common Lore (Technology)
Forbidden Lore (Archeotech)
Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Forbidden Lore (Xenos)
Intimidate
Literacy
Logic
Speak Language (Explorator Binary)
Speak Language (Low Gothic)
Speak Language (Techna-Lingua)
Tech-Use
Trade (Explorator)
Trade (Technomat)

Traits:
Mechanicus Implants
Stranger to the cult

Talents:
Basic Weapons Training (Universal)
Logis Implant
Quick Draw
Talented (Tech Use)
Technical Knock

Special:

Gear:
Common Boltgun
Good Power Axes
Enforcer Light Carapace
Multikey
Void Suit
Injector
Sacred Ungents
Micro-Bead
Combi-tool
dataslate

Mind Impulse Unit
MIU Weapon Interface
Artificer Armor

Stats roll: 10#2d10+25 32 30 35 35 36 38 39 37 44 33
Fate Roll: 1d10 10
Wounds: 1d5 1
Insanity: 2d5+1 6

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is it possible to buy the system as PDF? I'm curious, but haven't played the system (or 40K) before.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Is it possible to buy the system as PDF? I'm curious, but haven't played the system (or 40K) before.

You used to be able to, but it doesn't look like it's available at drivethrurpg anymore (probably because fantasyflight lost the license and games workshop hates its customer base)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Azhais posted:

You used to be able to, but it doesn't look like it's available at drivethrurpg anymore (probably because fantasyflight lost the license and games workshop hates its customer base)

That is right hosed. That's why I grabbed as much as I could from the FFG winter sale.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Jack Nathanial

Career: Arch Militant
Homeworld: Hive World
Birthright: Stubjack
Lure of the Void: Crusade (Chasing the Enemy)
Trials and Travails: Press Ganged (Unwilling Accomplice)
Motivation: Exhilaration (The Thrill of War)

Characteristics:

WS: 37 (25 +12)
BS: 48 (25 +15 +5 Birthright + 3 Motivation)
S: 40 (25 +15)
T: 34 (25 +14 -5 Homeworld)
Ag: 37 (25 +12)
Int: 32 (25 +7)
Per: 35 (25 +10)
WP: 42 (25 +14 +3 Lure)
Fel: 26 (25 +4 -3 Birthright)

Wounds: 11 (4, +6 Homeworld, +1 Sound Constitution)
Fate Points: 2
Insanity: 6 (2, +4 Stubjack)
Initiative: 1d10 +4 / +6 With Basic Weapons (Weapon Master)

Skills:

Common Lore (Underworld, War) (Int)
Dodge (Ag, Nullify a successful attack)
Intimidate +20 (St)
Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis +10) (Int)
Secret Tongue (Military) (Int)
Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int)
Tech Use (Int)

Talents:

Basic Weapon Training (Universal)
Pistol Weapon Training (Universal)
Thrown Weapon Training (Universal)
Sound Constitution (+1 Wound)
Quick Draw
Hatred (Criminals) (+10 to WS in Melee vs. Criminals)
Nerves of Steel (Immune to Pinning by Pistols & Basic Weapons, +1 AP to the value of all cover from ranged attacks)

Traits:

Accustomed to crowds (Crowds do not count as difficult terrain, when running through dense crowd does not take a penalty to the Ag test to keep his feet)
Caves of Steel (Tech Use)
Hivebound (-10 to Survival (Int) tests, suffers a -5 penalty to Int tests when outdoors)
Wary (+1 to Initiative)
Weapon Master (Basic) (10 bonus to hit, +2 damage and +2 initiative when using basic ranged weapons)

Weapons:
Meltagun (Good) (BS +15, Range 20, RoF S/-/-, 2d10+10 E Pen 13, Clip 10, Reload 3 Full. Reliable.) [ACQUISITION]
Hellgun (Good) (BS +15, Range 110m, RoF S/3/-, 1d10+6 E Pen 7, Clip 40, Reload 2 Full. Reliable.)
Monosword (Good) (WS +5, 1d10 R 2 Pen, +10 to Parry)

Armour:

Enforcer light carapace armor (Good) (Head 6, Arms 6, Body 6, Legs 6)

Other Gear:

Micro-bead
Void suit
Bolt shell keepsake
Medikit
Manacles
3 doses of stimm

Growing up in the twisted guts of his Hive, Jack quickly learned that if you wanted survive in a world where everyone was expendable, you had to prove your worth at something. Some people were fixers. Some people were dealers. Some people were beggers. Some left the Hive to join the Imperial Guard. Jack followed the path of the gun. But his gun did not belong to the God-Emperor, fighting for his legions. His gun was used to carve a path through the hive, to give Jack the security he needed to live a comfortable life. As a mere teenager, Jack quickly gained the attention of his local hive gangers, and was given the choice of joining up with them or being added to the Hive’s nutrient vats. It was an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Jack worked first as a collector, menacing the community he had once grown in, but he rose in the ranks quickly, becoming a bodyguard and then a hitman for the gangers in a matter of years. But his skill in petty larceny, murder and protection was not necessarily his passion. Jack yearned for something greater. A fight he could never get in the enclosed spaces of his hive. Something that could truly rouse his heart.

By the time a Rogue Trader ship owned by the Obeywan-Closeau family finally landed on Jack’s homeworld, he was completely fed up with his situation. He didn’t want to be commanded by lowlives a second longer. He actively sought out the opportunity to be pressganged. It was not an easy process however: his gang viewed him as an indispensable asset, and refused to let him leave. Jack had to kill his boss and several of his former coworkers just to get topside.

Life in a ship was strange for a hiver like Jack Nathanial, but he adapted over time. He gradually found himself promoted off the back of his raw talent with weaponry and combat instincts. Some time passed, and the formerly fresh faced renegade ganger became a veteran Arch Militant. While he may not be the most personable or booksmart man aboutships, up against the forces of Chaos or the accursed Xeno you can count none a more reliable ally than Jack.

(Remaining XP after chargen: 150)

Stats Roll: 10#2d10 15 15 2 12 14 7 10 4 10 14
Fate roll: 1d10 2
Wounds: 1d5 3 (should be +1)
Insanity Rolls: 1d5 2 1d5 4

---

Here's my first attempt at the sheet. Haven't done my acquisition item yet. There's probably some things I screwed up.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 25, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, I'm up for this, went and found a Google Doc character sheet, for easy access. I'm not especially familiar with the lore of 40k, but hopefully my backstory doesn't include any egregious faux pas. Let me know if I messed anything up on my character sheet.

Elwin "Gaunt" Grigori

Origin Path

Homeworld: Battlefleet
Birthright: Savant
Lure of the Void: Duty Bound (Duty to Humanity)
Trials and Trevails: Dark Voyage
Motivation: Knowledge (Knowledge is Life Money, 500 xp option)
Career: Seneschal

Backstory

Elwin Grigori came from humble beginnings, the firstborn son of a quartermaster in a distant fleet. He spent much of his childhood training to succeed his father, but he soon discovered a natural talent for administration. He could effortlessly call to mind facts and figures, and easily worked his way around the byzantine rules that governed Battlefleet requisitions. However, with this talent came ambition. Where most sought to serve the Imperium through conquest or piety, he saw it as his responsibility to bring the Imperium profit. With few economic opportunities in the Battlefleet, Elwin instead took his leave of the ship he'd called home, in order to wend his way towards serving aboard a Rogue Trader. In this time, he taught himself, or learned from those more educated than himself, as many topics as possible, in order to better ply his craft. Of course, he was forced to give up much of the early wealth he'd acquired in order to procure lessons, something he considered a wise investment.

However, all this learning proved a hazard to the aspiring seneschal. He was learning about black market archeotech from a person Elwin was increasingly convinced was a full-on heretek, when one of the devices they were examining exploded, causing a minor Warp incursion. "Minor" being a relative term in this case, as it was enough to ravage Elwin's body, and give him a glimpse of things no man was meant to see. While he avoided any significant internal injury, his skin was left sagging, his hair turned gray. He appeared to be a man more than twice his actual age. The ship and crew fared somewhat worse, but, ever the shrewd businessman, Elwin was able to pass all the blame for the incident onto his tutor, and managed to avoid joining him on his short trip out the airlock.

His altered appearance proved to be a blessing in disguise, as it made him appear more experienced than he actually was. He had the knowledge and expertise, certainly, but many considered him a little young to be ship's seneschal prior to his accident. Having finally made it to the position he'd so long sought, Elwin has proven competent and efficient, if a little cold and calculating. His tall, lean frame has led the crew to calling him "Gaunt" when they think he isn't listening. He doesn't mind, the air of mystery surrounding him only makes it easier to do his job undisturbed. A veteran scholar at this point, Elwin not only has vast knowledge of bureaucratic administration, but is a capable cryptologist and philosopher, as well. Lately, he's been working on articulating the set of rules he lives by in order to maximize profit, hoping to publish it as a philosophical treatise. He's taken to citing them when advising the crew, in hopes that they'll catch on. Ironically, while he seeks profit for the greater glory of the Imperium, he lives surprisingly simply, himself, and isn't given to ostentatious displays of wealth or status. As long as he has a steady supply of recaf, he's got all he needs.

When the Warp gate shattered behind the ship, stranding him with the rest of the crew in a completely lawless sector, Elwin Grigori took it in stride. Everything of value to him lay in the future, ahead of him, so the loss of a path back to the Imperium represented little actual value lost. He was confident that the captain would figure something out eventually to get them home, and in the meantime, there's an entire sector full of unexplored planets, just waiting to be peacefully relieved of their riches...

Rolls

Stats
Wounds
Fate Points
Insanity

Starting Acquisition: Best-Quality Calculance Array

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 25, 2017

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Read the OP Eclectic Tastes, starting PF is 0.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chin up everything sucks posted:

He said likely, I prefer to go in with concrete information, but let's assume that holds steady, that's at most a 30 for scale, and it doesn't really pan out. Problem solved.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Nah, your first Acquisition is free. I guess I didn't ask, but essentially any single item up to Extremely Rare (-30 in a market with 100,000 people, which is what I was assuming) or more common you can just get. It's independent of profit factor.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

chin up everything sucks posted:

EclecticTastes posted:

He said likely, I prefer to go in with concrete information, but let's assume that holds steady, that's at most a 30 for scale, and it doesn't really pan out. Problem solved.

Let me be specific here. You will start with 90 ship points with which to create your starting vessel because you will have a 0 profit factor, since your money and riches mean nothing and cannot be accessed here beyond the stars.

professor_curly posted:

Nah, your first Acquisition is free. I guess I didn't ask, but essentially any single item up to Extremely Rare (-30 in a market with 100,000 people, which is what I was assuming) or more common you can just get. It's independent of profit factor.

page 34 says everyone gets one item with an acquisition modifier of +0. I am taking single item literally, so you essentially get one item of common quality of extremely rare or more common (+30 single item scale, -30 from extremely rare=0). Even with the +10 for a poor quality, you cannot get something near unique.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Werix posted:

page 34 says everyone gets one item with an acquisition modifier of +0. I am taking single item literally, so you essentially get one item of common quality of extremely rare or more common (+30 single item scale, -30 from extremely rare=0). Even with the +10 for a poor quality, you cannot get something near unique.

Ohhhh, thanks, I misunderstood that section completely. In that case, I'll just add the Calculance Array to my sheet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If I'm reading things right I think I could get a best-quality meltagun with my acquisition

That would be real dirty

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JT Jag posted:

If I'm reading things right I think I could get a best-quality meltagun with my acquisition

That would be real dirty

Nope. Melta gun is rare, which is -10. Single item is +30 for a +20 mod. Then best quality gives a -30, for a total of -10, which is not +0(-10+-30+30=-10). Could do a good quality.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Werix posted:

Nope. Melta gun is rare, which is -10. Single item is +30 for a +20 mod. Then best quality gives a -30, for a total of -10, which is not +0(-10+-30+30=-10). Could do a good quality.
I was almost right.

That would still be pretty rad. It's a thought.

edit: Updated my sheet with my acquisition.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 25, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Do we want to hash out our ship choices here?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

might as well

quote:

Repulsive-class Grand Cruiser

Speed: 6 Manoeuvrability: +11
Detection: +20 Hull Integrity: 85
Armour: 20 Turret Rating: 3
Space: 90 SP: 69
Weapon Capacity: Port 2, Starboard 2, Prow 1, Dorsal 1
Grand Cruiser: May use Cruiser components
Cursed: -10 Navigation (Warp)
Ancient Grand Cruiser May not add armor components

Blasphemous Tendencies: +15 Navigation (Warp), -5 WP Tests.
Wrested From a Space Hulk: +1 Armor, +1 Speed, +3 Maneuverability

Saturnine Plasma Engine (Common) +95 power -18 Space
Miloslav Warp Drive (Common) -10 Power -12 Space
Warpsbane Hull (Common) -1 Power 0 Space +2 Ship Points
Triple Void Shield (Common) -9 Power -3 Space
Ship Master’s Bridge (Common) -4 Power -3 Space
Clemency Life Sustainer (Common) -5 Power -5 Space
Clan-Kin Quarters (Common) -2 Power -5 Space +1 Ship Point
Deep Void Auger (Common) -7 Power -0 Space +1 Ship Point

Dorsal and Prow Sunhammer Lance Battery (Common) -13 Power -6 Space +2 SP x2
Port and Starboard Sunsear Las-Broadside (Common) -9 Power -6 Space +1 SP x2
Port and Starboard Escort Launch Bay (Common) -1 Power -4 Space -1 SP x2

Barracks -2 Power -4 Space +2 SP
Compartmentalized Cargo Bay -1 Power -5 Space +1 SP
Luxury Passenger Quarters -2 Power -1 Space +2 SP

Empyrean Mantle -5 Power -0 Space +2 SP
Observation Dome -0 Power -1 Space +1 SP
Trophy Room -1 Power -1 Space +1 SP

Ship Points 90/90 (GM Fiat)
Space 00/90
Power 00/95

Traits:

Grand Cruiser: May use Cruiser components
Cursed: -10 Navigation (Warp)
Ancient Grand Cruiser May not add armor components
Blasphemous Tendencies: +15 Navigation (Warp), -5 WP Tests.
Wrested From a Space Hulk: +1 Armor, +1 Speed, +3 Maneuverability
For Hearth and Home!: +5 to defend against Board/Hit&Run, -1 Morale Loss
Haste of the Damned: Half time at warp, encounter every 3 days
Improved Fire Direction: +10 to all ship BS tests
Lifeline: Increase Morale by 1, reduce crew loss to depressurisation by 4
Master Plotting Table: +5 Piloting and Navigation from the bridge
Shield of Faith: +10 Navigation: Warp, roll twice on encounter table.
Storage Area: When working toward a Trade objective, the players earn an additional 100 Achievement Points toward completing that objective.
Soldiers: When working toward a Military objective, the players earn an additional 100 Acheivement Points towards completing that objective.
Reinforcements: If the ship is transporting troops, it gains +20 to all Command Tests involving boarding actions and Hit and Run Actions.
Paying Customers: When working toward a Trade, Criminal, or Creed objective, the players earn an additional 100 Achievement Points towards completing that objective.
Class Division: Decrease Morale permanently by 3.
Past Experiences: When working toward an Exploration, Trade, or Criminal objective, the players earn an additional 50 Achievement Points toward completing that objective.
Engraved Star-charts: When working towards an Exploration objective, the players earn an additional 50 Achievement Points towards completing that objective.
Cure for Claustrophobia: Increase Morale permanently by 1.
Shadow in the Void: When travelling on Silent Running, all Tests to detect this vessel have their Difficulty increased by two degrees. When completing a Criminal objective, the players earn an additional 50 Endeavour Points.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 25, 2017

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

professor_curly posted:

Do we want to hash out our ship choices here?

If you want, but I was probably going to save that for the first part of the first session, since going through all the myriad of ship options over forums posts can be tedious. Usually in the past I've just given the players a ship to avoid the headache.

thatbastardken posted:

might as well

Or ...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Let's not finalize it right this second, but we can use those stats as the baseline for the ship when we talk and tinker on the specifics in session one.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Werix posted:

If you want, but I was probably going to save that for the first part of the first session, since going through all the myriad of ship options over forums posts can be tedious. Usually in the past I've just given the players a ship to avoid the headache.

Or ...

kinda had that one lying around

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Okay, I'm going to keep recruit open until Friday, then I'll make picks. So far based on feedback I am going to have the game on Wednesdays since that received the most positive indication.

Next is to determine the schedule. We can either:

1. Pick a set day, i.e. always the first or last or third, etc Wednesday of the month.
2. Keep it more flexible and look at the calendar at the end of each session and pick the best Wednesday for the following month.

Since we only will play once a month, I do hope to run for the whole 6-11 time slot if possible. Though if it ends up being less that's fine too.

If we opt for the first Wednesday of the month, I don't think I'll have time to prepare for a session right proper, so if we play May 3rd it might be limited to just ship building.

one last noteI will be experimenting with actually using endeavors for profit factor gain. If I end up hating it I'll dump the system, but I think the structure will help in a situation where you're literally starting from scratch. I want the game to be more free form and player driven, as you explore, interact with, and exploit this sector.

The ultimate goal would be to return home, unless you abandon that to become sector despot.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Werix posted:

Okay, I'm going to keep recruit open until Friday, then I'll make picks. So far based on feedback I am going to have the game on Wednesdays since that received the most positive indication.

Next is to determine the schedule. We can either:

1. Pick a set day, i.e. always the first or last or third, etc Wednesday of the month.
2. Keep it more flexible and look at the calendar at the end of each session and pick the best Wednesday for the following month.

Since we only will play once a month, I do hope to run for the whole 6-11 time slot if possible. Though if it ends up being less that's fine too.

If we opt for the first Wednesday of the month, I don't think I'll have time to prepare for a session right proper, so if we play May 3rd it might be limited to just ship building.

If it's any help to the decision-making process, the 3rd of May is literally the only Wednesday I'm unavailable on for the foreseeable future. I have tickets to a premiere double feature of Guardians of the Galaxy and Vol. 2. By the way, is there a specific Discord channel for this game, or is it just the main Acolyte channel?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Werix posted:

The ultimate goal would be to return home, unless you abandon that to become sector despot.
Best case scenario: Why not both? Reclaim a sector lost to the light of the Emperor, get the sweet accolades and rewards from the Imperium for bringing these poor savages into the fold, and then come back to loving civilization and live like kings and let someone else do all the work.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Next month I'll be teaching the summer night class 6-8, so I'd only be able to make it to the last half of the session. I should be free from then on for Wednesday nights.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

stats: 10#2d10 14 7 10 12 10 13 16 16 15 11

Homeworld: Footfallen
Birthright: Scapegrace
Lure of the Void: Criminal
Trials and Travails: Calamity
Motivation: Renown
Lineage: Of Extensive Means (Powerful Legacy - 350)

Most times, when somebody prays to the God-Emperor in a moment of terror, they don't mean what they say. If they survive, they go back to being who they were. Then you have people like Ivan.

Ivan was once a petty criminal on Footfall, just another thug who ran errands for the Santav Cartel. Shaking people down, some robbery, protection rackets. Nothing unusual for a trading port, nothing that would bring down the attention of authorities who couldn't be bribed. He gave his cut to the bosses, and things ran smoothly.

But when a package went missing, an important one, somebody decided to point the finger at Ivan and say that he was to blame. Ivan found himself locked in a room with no gravity and an orb of blood forming around his head. The bosses wanted an example made, and they were going to let Ivan drown himself in his own blood.

Hanging in the middle of the room, unable to get enough motion to push him to any of the walls, Ivan did his best to try and send droplets of blood spinning out away from him. Rotating didn't work, the blood clung to his skin well enough to follow his movement. As he tired and blood loss began setting in, it became harder and harder to keep the blood orb from getting near his nose and mouth. A few tries to spit the blood away just made him spin in circles and get dizzy.

Prayers from his childhood started creeping into his mind as he began to contemplate death. Words half forgotten poured from his mouth as tried to apologize to the God-Emperor for his sins, for his wrongheadedness. He asked to live so that he could make up for his mistakes, bringing the God-Emperors word to those who had forgotten their way like he had.

Maybe the God-Emperor heard. Maybe it was just luck. But when the Arbites busted into the building to arrest one of the bosses, they found Ivan unconscious with blood in his lungs, and someone was kind enough to drag him out of the null-g cell before moving on.

When Ivan woke, he knew he had a promise to keep.

pre:
Name: Ivan 'Brand' Skevano

WS: 25 + 14 + 5
BS: 25 + 10 - 5
S: 25 + 12
T: 25 + 10 - 5
Ag: 25 + 13 + 5
Int: 25 + 16
Per: 25 + 16 + 6
WP: 25 + 15
Fel: 25 + 11 + 5

Insanity: Insanity: 1d5 2
Wounds: Wounds: 6+1d5 10
Fate: Fate: 1d10 2 = 2

Skills:
Common Lore (Koronus Expanse, Imperial Creed, Imperium) (trained)
Forbidden Lore (Heresy)
Medicae
Psyniscience (trained)
Scholastic Lore (Imperial Creed)
Sleight of Hand (trained)
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low Gothic)

Talents:
Air of Authority
Basic Weapon Training (Universal)
Enemy (Underworld)
Hardy
Light Sleeper
Peer (Workers)
Peer (Underworld)
Polyglot
Pure Faith
Rival (Inquisition)
Talented (Intimidate)
Talented (Command)
Unshakeable Faith

Traits:
Street Knowledge
Echo of Hard Times

Gear:
Good Chainsword
Good Flamer
Best Guard Flak
Ecclesiarchal Robes
Aquila Pendant
Sepulchre
Censer and Incense
Micro-Bead
Best Drusian 'Crusader' Chainsword

XP Log:
Lineage of Renown: 350xp
WS Simple - 100
Remaining XP: 050

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I can't do May 10th, I've got an exam. Any other Wednesday in May is fine.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wouldn't be able to do the 17th of May but that'd be my only Wednesday constraint until like Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

How about those of us who are available meet up next Wednesday to throw the ship together, do a bit of intro stuff, maybe hash out character relationships, and then we do our first proper session on like the 24th of May