Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Says on the web site it's $2/user/mo for SSO? Throw in MFA and it's $5/user/mo? So for a 40 person org it's $2400/yr not too bad.
We also quoted support and some partner integrations, I can't remember what the price per seat wound up being, I just remember it was high enough that we basically had to stop right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I can dig it. Looking at our internal setup, almost everything already authenticates against AD... Like, phone system and CRM are the only things that don't. So not worth it for us.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Update: InTune actually owns and is super easy to set up. The only problem I had so far was with a user using Android on BlackBerry lol.

Thanks Ants posted:

Have they fixed the Intune portal yet to not require Silverlight?

The InTune management in Azure Portal is in preview now, and does not require silverlight. The official portal does still require silverlight and I was really sad about having to install it (and having to reauthenticate after 5 minutes of inactivity).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep an eye on your MS licensing because it's easy to subscribe to mutiple different products and end up spending more than something like EMS would cost you.

https://business.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/enterprise-mobility-suite

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Keep an eye on your MS licensing because it's easy to subscribe to mutiple different products and end up spending more than something like EMS would cost you.

https://business.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/enterprise-mobility-suite

So much this. Unless you are looking to purchase one feature, maybe two from the bundle, its just worth it to get EMS.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
What applications are you guys using for remote desktop? My boss is looking for something less expensive than updating our teamviewer license for remote support with our sales people in the field. Locally I've been using vpn with apple remote desktop and microsoft RDP for stuf I'm using, but it'd be nice to just have a single application I can tell people to install like teamviewer.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OSU_Matthew posted:

What applications are you guys using for remote desktop? My boss is looking for something less expensive than updating our teamviewer license for remote support with our sales people in the field. Locally I've been using vpn with apple remote desktop and microsoft RDP for stuf I'm using, but it'd be nice to just have a single application I can tell people to install like teamviewer.

We've been using screenconnect for a long time although I understand their pricing models have changed recently.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We use ScreenConnect too, zero complaints aside from a couple of dumb design decisions that were quickly rolled back (they actually listen to customer feedback on their forums).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Are you screenconnect guys using it with CW (assuming you are MSP)? Or just on its own?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We purchased our license like seven years ago (pre-buyout) and are also using the on-premises rather than hosted version because a third party should never have access to your machines. I don't really know what ConnectWise does and I don't think I want to.

Also not an MSP we just use it for internal remote support on ~200 machines.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Looks like a fun thread. We've got about 50 users (and 2 IT staff with seemingly less to do than previously... it's a dying company and truth be told I think my time may be limited!)
As I suppose is probably quite common, our most frequent complaint is "my computer is slow, I wish I had a new one"... I'm still trying to convince them to invest in SSD. Most of them still have spinning hard drives. I'd want to shoot myself if I still had a HDD too...
When I go and fix something and have to sit while the HDD thrashes around at logon etc I can really sympathise.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 26, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That is a really unlikely candidate for general slowness to be honest

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I beg to differ, SSD has completely transformed every machine I've ever done the upgrade on.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if its a new enough machine, that intel optane thing seems like a decent $40 upgrade for a spinny drive

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

We actually found Intune to integrate nicely with TeamViewer. We just bit the bullet and bought a Corporate license. So far, very little issues.

How many PCs do you need to control?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

if its a new enough machine, that intel optane thing seems like a decent $40 upgrade for a spinny drive

Those things are neat, and the price is surprisingly reasonable, but installing a 120GB normal SSD to use as a boot/applications drive and leaving the spinny drive for large files seems like it'd be better when possible. Also to use them as cache you officially need to have a Kaby Lake system, though that seems to be a purely software limitation in the driver which may be worked around in the future.

I can see the cache thing working out for laptops or ultracompact desktops where a single 2.5" bay is all you get, but if there's room the benefits of using Optane for this purpose seem to be relatively nil compared to just a normal SSD.

Now that said, if they can also be used as a normal NVMe device then I could certainly see throwing the small one in as a place to put swap, /var/log, etc.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 26, 2017

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

Those things are neat, and the price is surprisingly reasonable, but installing a 120GB normal SSD to use as a boot/applications drive and leaving the spinny drive for large files seems like it'd be better when possible.

I can see the cache thing working out for laptops or ultracompact desktops where a single 2.5" bay is all you get, but if there's room the benefits of using Optane for this purpose seem to be relatively nil compared to just a normal SSD.

Now that said, if they can also be used as a normal NVMe device then I could certainly see throwing the small one in as a place to put swap, /var/log, etc.

I figure it might work nice for an in place upgrade just to show some love to the admin staff without reinstalling anything or having to spend too much money or time on it.

e: yeah it can be used as a std NVME as well

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 26, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sneakyfrog posted:

I figure it might work nice for an in place upgrade just to show some love to the admin staff without reinstalling anything or having to spend too much money or time on it.
We've taken to cloning the drive over to a SSD. PNY CS1311s are $50-60 for 120GB and we can pick them up retail at Best Buy or Microcenter if we need one in a hurry. Clonezilla + GParted makes it about a half hour process.

Also the fact that it requires a Kaby Lake system, systems that have the latest processors and M.2 slots but don't also have a SSD have to be fairly rare, right?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's a bit lazy but if someone complains enough about their machine I just clone a 120gb SSD and swap out the HDD, I've gone though Crucial/Samsung/Kingston it doesn't matter I just use Macrium Reflect and clone the boot/data partitions and call it a day.

We've got folder redirection and and regular old ms office and web interfaces, most complaints are people too impatient to wait for a specific site to load or their machine is old as gently caress.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Honestly we placebo the gently caress out of them with ccleaner and defraggler etc but there are only so many times you can do that before they see through it. Wipe and reinstall can help for a few months for reasons that probably only Microsoft truly knows.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GargleBlaster posted:

Honestly we placebo the gently caress out of them with ccleaner and defraggler etc but there are only so many times you can do that before they see through it. Wipe and reinstall can help for a few months for reasons that probably only Microsoft truly knows.

I have no idea why you waste time loading that garbage.. but yeah I stock cheapo Sandisk 120 and 240GB drives. I can get about %50 of people to upgrade because omg slow computer... it's my biggest upgrade by far.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that just makes me irrationally angry. Lazy IT work.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

redeyes posted:

I have no idea why you waste time loading that garbage.. but yeah I stock cheapo Sandisk 120 and 240GB drives. I can get about %50 of people to upgrade because omg slow computer... it's my biggest upgrade by far.

What the gently caress else are we supposed to do?! THEY WON'T loving SPEND MONEY, I ALREADY SAID SO. Unless I pay out of my own pocket, SSD is not happening. ccleaner is actually pretty good at decluttering poo poo like temp files at least, then as much as it pains me to use such archaic things, defraggler is about the best free disk defragmentation software. There's only so much we can do to help the "omg slow computer" people because quite understandably they're suffering from cheap 5400rpm pieces of poo poo that came with the last desktop refresh like 7 years ago.
*Sometimes* it's Windows "bogged down syndrome" and investing a day wiping and reinstalling helps, but modern versions really don't seem quite so bad for that. Mostly it's just using hardware that was already trash 7 years ago because our line manager is the company accountant.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Your job must suck friend, need to get some cash latitude there

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GargleBlaster posted:

What the gently caress else are we supposed to do?! THEY WON'T loving SPEND MONEY, I ALREADY SAID SO. Unless I pay out of my own pocket, SSD is not happening. ccleaner is actually pretty good at decluttering poo poo like temp files at least, then as much as it pains me to use such archaic things, defraggler is about the best free disk defragmentation software. There's only so much we can do to help the "omg slow computer" people because quite understandably they're suffering from cheap 5400rpm pieces of poo poo that came with the last desktop refresh like 7 years ago.
*Sometimes* it's Windows "bogged down syndrome" and investing a day wiping and reinstalling helps, but modern versions really don't seem quite so bad for that. Mostly it's just using hardware that was already trash 7 years ago because our line manager is the company accountant.

How about because its a waste of time and they don't speed up a computer. You can always say, sorry, this needs a hardware upgrade but other than that its time for a new computer. I mean after a while you aren't going to get repeat customers because that poo poo doesn't work.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
It's certainly frustrating! At least it keeps me employed.
They've spent the last 2-3 years "postponing for another 6 months" (time and time and time again) a telephone system upgrade. It went end-of-life like 2 years ago and they've managed to fight tooth and nail and find a company that will take over the support contract for another year last time... which is almost up, with no option to renew. So it's getting to the point that they're tight fisted enough that we'll probably be running a system that if it dies, we're completely hosed and they'll have to buy one in (the cheapest poo poo possible) on an emergency basis and enjoy a week or so of being literally without telephones.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

Let the squeaky wheel squeak. That's when it gets the grease.

This seems to be a hard lesson for IT people to learn. I know I've had to lecture engineers on it several times before it sets in. As IT you want to fix problems. Maybe you see a problem and you know you can't fix it or it really is part of a larger problem, so you put a bandaid on it and talk to the higher-ups about a real fix. Okay, that's fine, that's part of the job. Then it happens again, as you knew it would, and you put another bandaid on it and talk again to the higher-ups. Third time comes around? You need to let that poo poo break or let employees bitch about the problem, otherwise it is never going to get fixed. If so, it would have gotten fixed the first or second time around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GargleBlaster posted:

It's certainly frustrating! At least it keeps me employed.
They've spent the last 2-3 years "postponing for another 6 months" (time and time and time again) a telephone system upgrade. It went end-of-life like 2 years ago and they've managed to fight tooth and nail and find a company that will take over the support contract for another year last time... which is almost up, with no option to renew. So it's getting to the point that they're tight fisted enough that we'll probably be running a system that if it dies, we're completely hosed and they'll have to buy one in (the cheapest poo poo possible) on an emergency basis and enjoy a week or so of being literally without telephones.

I know these feels. Our last office we were chained to a 3COM NBX and finding support was fine because I know a company that keeps stock. But yeah, HP bought them and basically said this is EOL and my bosses said "well it works!"

The company folded and we started a new one and moved to jive and are very happy with them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Internet Explorer posted:

Let the squeaky wheel squeak. That's when it gets the grease.

This seems to be a hard lesson for IT people to learn. I know I've had to lecture engineers on it several times before it sets in. As IT you want to fix problems. Maybe you see a problem and you know you can't fix it or it really is part of a larger problem, so you put a bandaid on it and talk to the higher-ups about a real fix. Okay, that's fine, that's part of the job. Then it happens again, as you knew it would, and you put another bandaid on it and talk again to the higher-ups. Third time comes around? You need to let that poo poo break or let employees bitch about the problem, otherwise it is never going to get fixed. If so, it would have gotten fixed the first or second time around.

This.

Let the lovely poo poo break hard, just document everything cc everyone and have that poo poo around for when they start blamegaming

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

redeyes posted:

How about because its a waste of time and they don't speed up a computer. You can always say, sorry, this needs a hardware upgrade but other than that its time for a new computer. I mean after a while you aren't going to get repeat customers because that poo poo doesn't work.

Please see comments about not being able to spend money.

Honestly quite often that is my response. That it's not possible to make it any faster because it's slow old poo poo and we literally have a £0 budget (the company, like many in the country, is struggling after spending year after year being clobbered with credit crunches, recessions and this Brexit crap. Which for the uninitiated, was the United Kingdom's decision to throw itself off a very tall building. So they loathe to spend anything at all).

But sometimes you get the "surely you can do something, tweak something, paint some go-faster stripes on it, anything!!" people and they think that if we say no then we're just "being lazy". So about the best we can do is use some cleanup placebos to get them off our backs for a couple more weeks.

But if you geniuses have other £0 computer speeding up ideas be my guest. Please note, "install gentoo" will get you told to gently caress off back to 4chan - company relies on several Windows-only packages.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 28, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well I don't usually help people with no money but maybe your business model is different...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hey if people rely on their computers to do work, they need to keep up. If they are too cheap to keep functional machines around or keep things well beyond usability or support dates, without a backup plan.. poo poo they should go out of business. (not that that reflects on you GB, sucky situation you are in)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would also like something for nothing.

If the business can't afford 40 loving dollars for an SSD, I would say your time is better spent polishing the ol' CV instead of wiping PCs.

Christ. I bet the employees would buy it themselves if they had to.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
I don't have a lot of choice but to try and help the people who pay my salary, it's kind of in the contract of employment.
Like, they are willing to pay for us to be there and keep the servers running and answer "how do I do this basic thing in Word" etc
Just not to buy any equipment right now.

Perhaps one day I will find a better place to work and they can rejoice in another person leaving and not replacing them and buy some SSDs with the money they "saved", but til then I was hoping to enjoy a bit of venting in a thread "for people that support systems for companies under 100 users, under 5 staff, MSPs, and people with shoestring budgets" (it matches the "under 100 users" and "shoestring budget") with people who would maybe understand the frustration of working for a small company with a shoestring budget. Rather than just getting dogpiled by a bunch of condescending arseholes...

E: your "40 loving dollars" equates to 50 loving pounds here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SSDNow-UV400-Solid-StandAlone/dp/B01FJ4UN76
Multiply by approx 60 users.... £3k. Yeah good luck getting them to spend £3k.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GargleBlaster posted:

Please see comments about not being able to spend money.

Honestly quite often that is my response. That it's not possible to make it any faster because it's slow old poo poo and we literally have a £0 budget (the company, like many in the country, is struggling after spending year after year being clobbered with credit crunches, recessions and this Brexit crap. Which for the uninitiated, was the United Kingdom's decision to throw itself off a very tall building. So they loathe to spend anything at all).

But sometimes you get the "surely you can do something, tweak something, paint some go-faster stripes on it, anything!!" people and they think that if we say no then we're just "being lazy". So about the best we can do is use some cleanup placebos to get them off our backs for a couple more weeks.

But if you geniuses have other £0 computer speeding up ideas be my guest. Please note, "install gentoo" will get you told to gently caress off back to 4chan - company relies on several Windows-only packages.

I've worked for and around enough UK firms to know that the Brexit excuse is mostly utter bollocks. Poor leadership is using it as an excuse, but UK companies being led like utter poo poo and refusing to invest have been a problem for loving ages.

£3k is less than the cost of a person for a month, to make 60 people more productive. Any cost/benefit analysis would provide the answer that the upgrades are A Good Idea. lovely managers with their 1980s methods are the problems here, and a desire to spend as little as possible to look good to the people above them.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 28, 2017

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Thanks Ants posted:

I've worked for and around enough UK firms to know that the Brexit excuse is mostly utter bollocks. Poor leadership is using it as an excuse, but UK companies being led like utter poo poo and refusing to invest have been a problem for loving ages.

£3k is less than the cost of a person for a month, to make 60 people more productive. Any cost/benefit analysis would provide the answer that the upgrades are A Good Idea. lovely managers with their 1980s methods are the problems here, and a desire to spend as little as possible to look good to the people above them.

A lot of our customers and suppliers are in Europe so it does affect us somewhat, with the pound having jumped off a cliff.. that said the Euro doesn't seem to be far behind us so the rest is uncertainty - not getting long term contracts because of worries about the future etc.
But yeah they do seem to struggle with some of the management as well.
I get less than half that a month actually!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was going to list everything I do, but that just sounded pretentious. I also work for a small company, under 100 employees. My experience is with larger companies and tech consulting, so I handle anything complex, no consultants, etc. I also answer Word questions and help with printer problems.

My opinion is that what you are doing is bad and you shouldn't be doing it. I'm sorry that offends you. If you truly can't get through to management, it is my opinion that you should find a new job, just for the mental health alone. If they can't put $40 towards each employee to make them more productive and more happy, that's a really bad sign.

Also, it's kind of hard not to come across as condescending when you're trying to "placebo the gently caress out of [people]." How would you feel if you found out your mechanic or doctor was doing that to you? Good way to ruin your credibility with end-users.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's not about money…

Sometimes you just have let everything burn to the ground to gain the attention of the budget overlords.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GargleBlaster posted:

A lot of our customers and suppliers are in Europe so it does affect us somewhat, with the pound having jumped off a cliff.. that said the Euro doesn't seem to be far behind us so the rest is uncertainty - not getting long term contracts because of worries about the future etc.
But yeah they do seem to struggle with some of the management as well.
I get less than half that a month actually!

:yotj: friend, get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
It's not like I haven't tried. I get as far as "I think we should invest in..." and get a flat no in response. I was asked for input by the department manager when they set this year's budget and literally my first response was "60 SSDs at a cost of £3-5k would be really beneficial" which he included in the proposal to our boss. A week or two later, surprising absolutely no-one, the departmental budget went under a carpet somewhere and was never mentioned again.

My mental health certainly does suffer there, but also having undiagnosed autism consider myself lucky to be employed anyway and don't really fancy my chances at the 3-6 month probation at some new place only to risk ending up unemployed from not making the right amount of eye contact or whatever. Being unemployed was even worse for my mental health than being employed at this place.
The company's actually a long way from going under (they won't spend because they always want to be making a profit and think it'll help make a bigger one if they spend nothing and shout louder at the sales people) and it's rare for them to make a loss. I think one year they only made a small profit and were furious. So it's annoying, but it's better than nothing...

Did you know doctors do actually use placebos sometimes? Generally for hypochondriacs. The mind can actually play tricks on you and feelings of quality and indeed speed can actually be psychological. I'd rather give them a £50 SSD of course, and part of my response is usually "if they'll let me I'll upgrade your hard drive to solid state which would speed things up considerably". They actually did recently when one staff member was promoted and they were itching to toss a bit of money at them so I dived in while I could (to a response of "wow I can really tell the difference!") but it's rare. So I'm not really trying to trick them as such (I guess it kind of sounded like that) but expressing frustration that a placebo is about the best they'll let me do most of the time. Faced with a choice between telling the user there's nothing we can do and they invariably think we're being lazy shits, and actually doing something and giving them a brief psychological bit of relief, I think the formerderp, latter is marginally better.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 28, 2017