Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My favorite sear tool is the propane turkey fryer I picked up for $30.
Stupid BTUs stupid fast. I throw my cast iron fry pan on there and it'll get well above 650F after a few minutes.

If I'm not careful it'll cook the seasoning right off. I've even noticed it'll make it's own cast iron grates glow red.

Usually all it takes is 90-120s of ten-second-a-side searing for delicious perfection.

It's also great for wok work, but that's another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Inspector 34 posted:

In fact, since we're talking about them, can I put some plastic wrap inside the jars to make extraction a little easier? If I did a bit of extra over the lip of the jar would it interfere with the seal much? Right now we're running a butter knife around the edge of the egg bit to liberate it from the jar and we tend to leave a fair amount left in the jar, I'd like to have an easier and less wasteful removal.

I would not want plastic wrap coming into contact with food while being cooked at that high of a temperature. Too low quality and leeching.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just cook them in silicone so they pop right out. :v:

https://imgur.com/gallery/axewH

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

plastic wrap can handle microwave/steam temps and it's commonly used for shaped poached eggs. IMO no problem. The seal may be an issue though.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

plastic wrap can handle microwave/steam temps and it's commonly used for shaped poached eggs. IMO no problem. The seal may be an issue though.

Concern is that for a long period, high heat, contact with food, then the plastic leaches BPA like stuff into the food. On top of the container in the microwave, or a few minutes of poaching is less significant than 60 to 90 minutes at 172+.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Polyethylene clingfilm here in Germany varies in heat resistance. Some are ok up to 110 degrees Celsius which is why you can use them to poach eggs but can't use them in boiling water or an oven.
There are special foils up to 160 though.

Look at the manufacturers website, maybe they state a temperature range.

Also: polyethylene film does not contain BPA.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 24, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Spook posted:

Concern is that for a long period, high heat, contact with food, then the plastic leaches BPA like stuff into the food. On top of the container in the microwave, or a few minutes of poaching is less significant than 60 to 90 minutes at 172+.
most plastic wrap doesn't have BPA present, stop with the wives tales tia

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wellllllll

Please note that Spook didn't say BPA was in plastic wrap, Spook says "BPA like" which is probably in reference to DEHA, which is not an endocrine disruptor according to sources that aren't wingnut conspiracy theory websites, but may or may not be a contributor to cancer, research being inconclusive or inadequate on this.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Wellllllll

Please note that Spook didn't say BPA was in plastic wrap, Spook says "BPA like" which is probably in reference to DEHA, which is not an endocrine disruptor according to sources that aren't wingnut conspiracy theory websites, but may or may not be a contributor to cancer, research being inconclusive or inadequate on this.
it's more psuedoscience handwaving. and DEHA is only present in PVC wraps, but isn't in LDPE or PVDC wrapping

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm did some more googling... it appears that almost every plastic wrap brand has ditched PVC anyways, so DEHA's potential for cancer isn't even a concern anymore for most people

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I never know the answer to this.

I sous vide'd a steak at 131 degrees yesterday for 2.5 hours, then into an ice bath for 20 minutes, and then the fridge.

I took it out today and placed it in 120 water for two hours with the intention of cooking it, but that didn't happen so back into the fridge.

Question-how many days can it stay in the fridge until I have to cook it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There isn't a whole lot written about how long food lasts after it's been sous vided. The bacteria that survive cooking will be botulism, perfringens and B.Cereus, and Douglas Baldwin says you're probably safe from these up to 10 days as long as your food stays under 41°F the whole time, or 5 days if your fridge floats up to 44.5°F often

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/14174/what-is-the-sous-vide-botulism-risk-if-storing-meat-post-cooking-at-home

edit: I'd tell you to sniff test but apparently botulism doesn't smell rotten so...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2017

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So are people still saying go with the anova precision cooker for your sous vide needs?
What's the verdict on the Joule?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The joule is very nice, strong, compact and waterproof. I think most people here would just prefer to save $50-80. But if you don't mind spending a little more you're definitely getting your money's worth

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 25, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Anyone have suggestions on a rub to do brisket with. I'm new to the whole bbq thing and I'm not sure what to do. Was planning on doing Mesquite smoke if that matters.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Steve Yun posted:

Wellllllll

"May or may not be a contributor to cancer" and "research being inconclusive" is meaningless, though. The nitrates in lettuce and celery are carcinogen precursors. The psoralens in celery are known human carcinogens, as are the hydrazines present in mushroom, the aniline and caffeic acid in carrots, and the acrylamides in cooked potatoes. Even the laboratory research process itself is likely carcinogenic, because the immune system is affected by stress, and keeping rats in a cage and regularly injecting them with the maximum tolerable dose of anything is inherently stressful.

If people are talking about things like cancer risk and carcinogens and things like that, then doing so in a way that ignores dosage and quantity of risk is totally useless.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

sterster posted:

Anyone have suggestions on a rub to do brisket with. I'm new to the whole bbq thing and I'm not sure what to do. Was planning on doing Mesquite smoke if that matters.

salt + pepper

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

First, trim the fat cap so its pretty uniform, but don't cut too much off.

- 1 part Salt
- 1 part Pepper
- 1 part Celery Seed
- 1 part Garlic Powder
- A little chili powder
- some Onion flakes

Don't ask me about quantities, we've always just ball-parked it.

Season all sides, and wrap it in tin foil with the fat cap on top so that the fat melts down into the meat instead of pooling on the bottom. (this may be an old wives type thing, but its been done since the 60s in my family so whatever.)

Make sure to wrap it along the length of the cut first, with 2 sheets of tin foil (folded along the edges to make a seam), and crimp it loosely at the top to allow smoke to flow through.
Then another wrap across the length (same fold/seam, two sheets) to make like a hammock for the meat.

Make sure the crimped edges of the first foil are open and exposed on the edges.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 25, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Holy hell, my Anova arrived today so I bought a couple of porterhouse steaks to test it out and goddamn if they weren't the best steaks I had ever cooked in my life. I am an immediate convert.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Megabound posted:

Holy hell, my Anova arrived today so I bought a couple of porterhouse steaks to test it out and goddamn if they weren't the best steaks I had ever cooked in my life. I am an immediate convert.

do some thick rear end pork chops next. SO good!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Salmon mi-cuit.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Monoprice now has their own circulator. Depending on how well it works, it might be an interesting when they have their 20% off coupons.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=21594

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Monoprice now has their own circulator. Depending on how well it works, it might be an interesting when they have their 20% off coupons.

I'm tempted to get one so I can attempt to use it for mashing while not potentially breaking the more expensive anova. The specs put it on the iffy side though since it's max bath size is 4.0 gal and I mash with 5.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It appears to be a rebadged Primo Eats, which is $100 on Amazon and has 4 stars out of 41 reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Immersion-Stainless-Powerful-Operation/dp/B01MTV4EQ7

Edit: fakespot thinks the reviews are suspicious
http://fakespot.com/product/sous-vi...g-by-primo-eats

Anyone wanna take one for the team and try it out?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 26, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I love puddling in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

Korea meets Vietnam and it's delicious.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

I love puddling in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

How are we defining banh mi here?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Some kind of protein, mayo, hoisin, cilantro

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm sous viding bbq ribs this weekend. Should I do baby back or spare or both? I like the way this pit does spare near my old place but I haven't had baby back in a while. What do people prefer?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

qutius posted:

do some thick rear end pork chops next. SO good!

Got some bargains to do up next. I've never cooked pork chops before, or eaten them. They're not really a done thing in Australia, or at least with any families I've known.

But I am keen to do some lamb.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright I'm having issues with my steak.

I cook them to 135, and then I refrigerate them to cook them a few days later.

Problem I'm having is I'll warm them up to 110 or so and then sear them, but they don't taste nearly warm enough when I go to eat them.

I'm guessing the easy answer is just heat them back up to 135 prior to cooking, or at least 130, but I'm just being lazy and not wanting to boot up the sous vide machine and use tap water instead.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

Some kind of protein, mayo, hoisin, cilantro
Cool. I think: rice flour baguette, Maggi or maybe sriracha mayo, quick pickled cuke-carrot-radish, jalapeņo, cilantro.

Not trying to poo poo on your sandwich or anything, it looks fine. It's just that it doesn't really peg what I think of as a banh mi. And your cilantro looks enough like parsley I wasn't sure.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Problem I'm having is I'll warm them up to 110 or so and then sear them, but they don't taste nearly warm enough when I go to eat them.

I'm guessing the easy answer is just heat them back up to 135 prior to cooking, or at least 130, but I'm just being lazy and not wanting to boot up the sous vide machine and use tap water instead.

Turn up your water heater.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

5436 posted:

I'm sous viding bbq ribs this weekend. Should I do baby back or spare or both? I like the way this pit does spare near my old place but I haven't had baby back in a while. What do people prefer?

If you're just looking for opinions I prefer Baby back. I don't like the extra fatty ends and bones that you get with spare ribs.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

sterster posted:

If you're just looking for opinions I prefer Baby back. I don't like the extra fatty ends and bones that you get with spare ribs.

I'm thinking of doing 2 spare ribs and 2 baby back ribs so I don't have to make a real decision. I like the meaty/fattyness of spare ribs, but baby back are fall of the bone good as well. Its a hard decision to make.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If you can get st louis style that will help since that will have the cartilage trimmed off (vs full spare ribs)

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I plan on doing ribs at 162F for 12 hours...that should be fine for both spare and baby back right? Most of the rib guides don't actually specify what cut of rib.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

How are we defining banh mi here?

I kid I kid.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Your stove can get water to 130+ in minutes.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

uPen posted:

Your stove can get water to 130+ in minutes.

Stove? I threw that out after getting my Smoker, Sous Vide and Instant Pot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BrianBoitano posted:

gently caress you im so hungry now.

Also I've never made prime rib in my life. I'm gonna SV some for my next dinner party.