Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

I'm glad i didn't know that season 3 was a uncertainty or i would have been p nervous D:

edit: this is my third page snype of the day :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think you mean "Hail Satan!". :flashfact:

Yeah, we are thanking Fox, after all.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hell yeah!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Woo-hoo!!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Aleph Null posted:

Hallelujah!

E: Beaten, drat it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Snak posted:

The writers of Castle were loving incompetent. They literally had a backup "will-they-won't-they" couple that could have carried that aspect of the show (Esposito and Laney)

I think you meant Esposito and Ryan :gay:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
YAY for a renewal. I keep seeing it over and over but "this show is better than it should be". At what point does it just become a good show instead of something that everyone loves UNIRONICALLY?

I am not a huge fan of the police procedural parts either, but I think they are done in a pretty interesting manner. This last bad guy took his rage out in a non-sensical way that obviously made him a villain and (hell-bound), but his initial argument, that he freaked out in the few seconds following an insane car crash and didn't do the right thing, and then was vilified as the Jerk of the Year... I thought that was actually a meaningful story.

What a brainless airing schedule.. I'm sure there are other factors, but how can the Nielsen public people even keep up with that?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As far as I see it, it starts off as this goofy procedural with a bunch of devil jokes which is ironically kinda fun and then they start adding more and more sub plots one by one until eventually there are so many pieces in play that all pay off really well by the end of the first season that it kinda stealthily transforms into a really good show.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm always going to love the show unironically because the premise just sounds terrible. A few years ago when I heard Fox was making a show about the devil coming to LA to solve crimes with police, I thought it sounded like a gigantic pile of poo poo. I'm glad I gave it a shot but it's always going to be love in spite of the premise.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's also one of those shows that you can actually just recommend the first episode as a good filter for if someone's going to like it or not. It wasn't moving at full-speed, but it certainly hit the ground running.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah another great kinda thing about the show is they just flip the script on the stupid genre conventions and make him be like the buddy straight away so there is no "lag" in getting the show rolling. That and I really adore the routine of him claiming to be the devil and nobody believing it, instead of some sort of secret identity.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Yeah another great kinda thing about the show is they just flip the script on the stupid genre conventions and make him be like the buddy straight away so there is no "lag" in getting the show rolling. That and I really adore the routine of him claiming to be the devil and nobody believing it, instead of some sort of secret identity.

Except for the Satanists who thought he would be blonde.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Except for the Satanists who thought he would be blonde.

Really dumb question, but that's a wink wink comic book thing right?

Also that episode bugged the poo poo outta me because I couldn't work out who the cult leader was until I googled it and it was one of the members of band of brothers.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

algebra testes posted:

Absolutely.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

algebra testes posted:

Yep.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

algebra testes posted:

This is something that I feel more shows are starting to understand or WILL be doing shortly.. I mean, you need the individual character backgrounds and their particular pre-conceptions, but I don't NEED 10 episodes for the "gang to get together" when it's quite obvious that this is going to be a gang. I think even Teen-Wolf (yes I watch Teen Wolf.. I marathoned it last year and I won't apologize :downs:) has blatantly said in the script at least twice "Its just better when they know"

Kind of a shout-out to poor story-writing that uses secrets and boring tension to create storylines that don't inherently possess any "Story". I find the people-don't-communicate-properly meme to be one of the worst and most annoying crutches on T.V.

That obviously takes a different turn when you are talking about Lucifer literally telling people he is the devil, which is just plain funny and awesome. But at least they got the main characters in a friendly relationship rather quickly... i.e. I get what you're saying and agree.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoggPickle posted:

I keep seeing it over and over but "this show is better than it should be". At what point does it just become a good show instead of something that everyone loves UNIRONICALLY?
Never. I don't understand the overwhelmingly positive response it gets here. It's a solidly mediocre show that I'll probably keep watching until it's cancelled and then never think about again.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Tiggum posted:

Never. I don't understand the overwhelmingly positive response it gets here. It's a solidly mediocre show that I'll probably keep watching until it's cancelled and then never think about again.

Well then you're not a fun person, because despite some faults, it's written with wit, and has an interesting sub-structure and deeper story. It's not absolute magic, but certainly an intelligent and fun watch. :/

Solidly mediocre? Methinks you don't include the 90% of TV that is unwatchable?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DoggPickle posted:

Solidly mediocre? Methinks you don't include the 90% of TV that is unwatchable?

He'll probably tell us all about how he doesn't even own a TV next

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DoggPickle posted:

Solidly mediocre? I think you don't include the 90% of TV that is unwatchable?

"Mediocre" doesn't mean "average", it just means of satisfactory or acceptable quality without being exceptional in any way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a solidly mediocre show that rises out of the pack on the back of performances that are better than the rest of the material. If you replaced the writers and directors with the ones from Starz's Spartacus or Black Sails then I think you'd instantly have a show of that calibre because the same underlying dramatic theme is there for all of them ('who is manipulating whom?') but Lucifer isn't a brave enough show to escape the procedural and run with it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Considering bush-league is a synonym of mediocre I'd have to disagree :colbert:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

It's a solidly mediocre show that rises out of the pack on the back of performances that are better than the rest of the material. If you replaced the writers and directors with the ones from Starz's Spartacus or Black Sails then I think you'd instantly have a show of that calibre because the same underlying dramatic theme is there for all of them ('who is manipulating whom?') but Lucifer isn't a brave enough show to escape the procedural and run with it.

Pro tip:
Lucifer is solidly a comedy first...the other two? Not so much

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DoggPickle posted:

This is something that I feel more shows are starting to understand or WILL be doing shortly.. I mean, you need the individual character backgrounds and their particular pre-conceptions, but I don't NEED 10 episodes for the "gang to get together" when it's quite obvious that this is going to be a gang.

You watched Preacher too, huh?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tide posted:

Pro tip:
Lucifer is solidly a comedy first...the other two? Not so much

That's debatable. The "Lucifer is solidly a comedy first" part, I mean.

And the Preacher comment. We watched about four episodes. Does it get better?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Preacher to me is the exact opposite of Lucifer. Completely changed the characters and their driving motivations from the comic, but still tried to "remain faithful" to the source which led to a pretty bad show. If they had just gone full blown "screw the comics" like Lucifer it probably would have been a lot better.

Some people really love it. If you didn't like the first few episodes it's not going to change for you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Aleph Null posted:

That's debatable. The "Lucifer is solidly a comedy first" part, I mean.

And the Preacher comment. We watched about four episodes. Does it get better?

Sort of I guess, but also kind of not. Like, by the end of the season the characters are all lined up for the show to actually start (eg they are where they should have been since like episode 2), but it felt like a long trek to get there. In essence Preacher season 1 is a drag with a few good bits, but at least by the end its got its ducks in a row for Preacher to actually start. While both are based on Vertigo properties that take liberties with their source material, Lucifer is an example of a great cast lifting the material they are given. Preacher is an example of a great cast being given nothing to do for huge stretches of time. While I'm fine with Lucifer keeping the base concept and nothing else I felt like Preacher should have either kept more of the source (the comic has Jesse blowing town pretty much immediately rather than hanging around moping for-loving-ever) or less (there is a show that could be made about Jesse sticking around bumfuck texas, but that would require him to not have one foot out the door the whole time and them eliminating his motivation from the comics).

Its possible preacher marathons better than it watched week to week, there were a lot of odd structural decisions watched weekly (a friend of mine who wasnt familiar with the comic was REALLY loving confused when one episode opened with stuff set in the old west, only not to be mentioned or referenced for I think two weeks after that. If you are going to do that I think it would have been better if it had been done in small chunks but every week rather than "A bunch of cowboy stuff that I hope you remember a month from now when some of it becomes relevant").

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

SiKboy posted:

Its possible preacher marathons better than it watched week to week, there were a lot of odd structural decisions watched weekly (a friend of mine who wasnt familiar with the comic was REALLY loving confused when one episode opened with stuff set in the old west, only not to be mentioned or referenced for I think two weeks after that. If you are going to do that I think it would have been better if it had been done in small chunks but every week rather than "A bunch of cowboy stuff that I hope you remember a month from now when some of it becomes relevant").

It must be kind of an odd time to be a show-runner, balancing the needs of live weekly viewing with the ability to sell DVD's and online purchases later on, for the people who would rather marathon from the start and the people who liked it weekly, but you still want them to watch it again (with a purchase). TOO serialized and flowing, and you presumably confuse or frustrate the people who have to wait a week between episodes, or too split up like your above example, where it would make a lot more sense if it only took two hours to get your explanation instead of 3 weeks. On the other hand, a cliffhanger with a week of anticipation definitely hits people harder than a three second wait for the next episode to queue up and might be called rushed or boring when marathoned.

Basically, I'm just saying - seems like a tough job! Just thank god we have risen to the level of serialized TV that they started making after the DVR. I mean, when I was a kid, you could pretty much take any episode of MacGuyver or Star Trek TNG or Murder She Wrote and the episode order made zero difference. They had to be made that way because people just couldn't possibly always be home at exactly 8pm every Wednesday etc. Hell, I barely have a clue what time or channel anything is on anymore. :downs: Because I don't have to, and I don't care.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Looks like they are moving the filming actually to Los Angeles for season 3.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looks like they are moving the filming actually to Los Angeles for season 3.

Huh.

Apparently the way they do it now is they make something like 3 trips a year, and film like 9 episodes worth of exteriors and location shots. So you can tell that they're actually on the beach in LA, but then they're back in a Canadian Steel Mill/Sound-stage for the rest.

Maybe they just figured it was too much of a pain to write so far in advance and fly down for a couple of days?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus a tax break. Betting the cast was fairly gung ho about it as well.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus a tax break. Betting the cast was fairly gung ho about it as well.

HAH! It certainly can't hurt such a clearly fun-loving cast to be chillin' in good weather all day.

It probably can't hurt the acting either, not breaking up consecutive scenes into month-long breaks. Wow that must be REALLY hard to do actually?? I wonder if they re-watch their other scenes and stuff before they go do the "next" scene like a month later?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just binged watch this show, and I like it. Dude playing the devil is good in the role.

(also makes me want to see him playing Randall Flagg in a hypothetical new movie of The Stand)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Recall Season 2's order was originally 13 episodes (I think), then a late order up to 18, then oh let's do the whole 22?

We're back down to 18. They're taking 4 'stand alone' eps and shifting them over to Season 3. I wonder if this is because the actress that plays Maze is pregnant, but they don't mention it whatsoever in the article.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Joe Henderson did a pretty good job selling this on Twitter. Seems like he and the room went into the surprise extension unsure if the additional episodes would air before or after the summer. They studied what other shows did in the same situation and decided to just do some quasi-standalones that had little to no bearing on Season 2's story, so they could be slotted anywhere while also teeing up the next season.

Best part is, "Fox gave us carte blanche to go crazy. And we did."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The show is back next Monday.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Gonz posted:

The show is back next Monday.

I had no idea! What a pleasant surprise.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Finally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Fauxshiz posted:

I had no idea! What a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Don't forget it is 4 more episodes then they put the other 4 at the start of the fall season.

• Locked thread