Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artum posted:

He'd play something like Q With very straightforward and meaty attacks with a poo poo ton of armor.
What would the taunt that buffs defense even look like for Big O?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

AradoBalanga posted:

the glint from the chrome buster

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

R. Dorothy cut-in that mocks the enemy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought Roger was the only louse she mocked?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Nah, she mocks a bunch of people. She even has the spell in SRW that drains enemy morale.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

tsob posted:

One SRW D 4koma has her mocking Schwartzwald by calling him "Getter-2 Head" and his morale goes down. Wish I could find that again.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

AradoBalanga posted:

The pose from the start of the final beck fight and others of course.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Droyer posted:

Spent the last few days reading Linebarrels of Iron. I like it quite a lot.

i think i'd like it more if the translation didnt suck

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AradoBalanga posted:

I still can't believe that Street fighter 3 system of taunting enough times gives your character a buff didn't come back, that poo poo was great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

i think i'd like it more if the translation didnt suck

Yeah it's rough, especially early on. It gets better later when another group takes over but even then it's not great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

please tag yourself

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

please tag yourself

Where the hell is "Cowardly smartass"?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Mekton Zeta despite having rules to create SD forms of your mecha does not have option.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Mekton Zeta despite having rules to create SD forms of your mecha does not have option.

If I can't be Eugene, what's even the point?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snooze Cruise posted:

please tag yourself

The big lug.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I loved Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Is Getter Robo: Armageddon worth watching? Should I just watch the Imagawa episodes and stop there?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mimir posted:

Is Getter Robo: Armageddon worth watching? Should I just watch the Imagawa episodes and stop there?

Watch the whole thing, outside of a little bit of sagging in the middle it's a blast.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mimir posted:

No armageddons still pretty drat good.

Imagawa's an amazing director but watch a lot of his stuff and you really start to notice the common elements, misunderstood scientist fathers who aren't actually the bad guy etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Getter Robo Armageddon is cool and good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watching just the first three eps would be unsatisfying anyways because while there are cool moments for sure you'd be watching three eps of buildup followed by a cliffhanger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mimir posted:

The Imagawa episodes are quite good, but after that there are only a handful of cool moments (admittedly, quite cool) spread over the remaining ten episodes. As a whole, it's mostly just OK.

I'll highly recommend the Getter Robo Go manga, however.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Armageddon definitely spins its wheels for a bit and is definitely on the wrong side of cool to dull stuff ratio but the start is good and the end is wild. I agree with it mostly being ok overall but I think its worth giving a watch for amount of stupid/cool things that do happen and the soundtrack is amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snooze Cruise posted:

please tag yourself

The Girlfriend or Boyfriend

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty down on Armageddon myself but that's mostly due to both being a huge Imagawa fan and a huge getter manga fan and finding it disappointing in those respects, so it's probably still worth watching.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

please tag yourself

Is there a mecha series featuring a faithful boyfriend who gets captured?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Droyer posted:

I'm pretty down on Armageddon myself but that's mostly due to both being a huge Imagawa fan and a huge getter manga fan and finding it disappointing in those respects, so it's probably still worth watching.

Just about every super robot fan should read Getter Robo Go.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Artum posted:

No armageddons still pretty drat good.

Imagawa's an amazing director but watch a lot of his stuff and you really start to notice the common elements, misunderstood scientist fathers who aren't actually the bad guy etc.

I haven't seen Wasimo but I'm pretty sure someone in mummy wrapping pops up in everything he's ever done. Two or three times in Tetsujin alone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The only bad part of the Getter Robo manga in general is that we'll never get an ending, because it was too perfect and something had to go wrong. In most cases, it's just a bad arc, here it was the death of the author.

I still wish for one full adaptation of the manga, someday. With the ending written by Ken Ishikawa's ghost, brought back from the dead through dark rituals. Whatever sacrifices this takes will be very much worth it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ishikawa was pretty bad at ending manga, even his one shots tend to end in a To Be Continued...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GorfZaplen posted:

Ishikawa was pretty bad at ending manga, even his one shots tend to end in a To Be Continued...

I thought Go ended pretty satisfactory, as did Shin (granted, that's partly because Shin is a prequel to Go).

I'm not too familiar with his non-Getter manga, is there anything you'd recommend?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a lot of non-mecha Ishikawa stuff out there that's not scanned, if I could trade the scans of his mecha stuff for that I'd do it in a heartbeat easily.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yakuza golf.....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly, I'm probably in the minority in that I love all of the Getter Robo OVAs a lot but I'm real cold on the manga.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Srice posted:

Admittedly, I'm probably in the minority in that I love all of the Getter Robo OVAs a lot but I'm real cold on the manga.

The original Getter Robo manga definitely does not hold up, past maybe the first four chapters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getter Robo is a franchise that I feel often has a lot of strong ideas but pretty iffy execution.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

As flawed as the Getter manga are I will always find it hilarious that their backstory just straight up contains The Andromeda Strain.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Getter Robo is a franchise that I feel often has a lot of strong ideas but pretty iffy execution.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it, I find a lot of stuff interesting about the manga but the act of actually reading it frequently felt like a chore to me. Meanwhile all of the OVAs outside of the first 3 eps of Armageddon are directed by Jun Kawagoe, a guy who I feel is a very underrated action director in anime. I wish he'd get work more often!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

E: bad at reading, ishikawa not imagawa

Hes bad at endings generally, the only thing that comes to mind with a truely satisfying conclusion was G gundam.

Tetsujin came close but really needed just ANYTHING of japan after all the horrors of the war had been laid to rest.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Artum posted:

Hes bad at endings generally, the only thing that comes to mind with a truely satisfying conclusion was G gundam.

Tetsujin came close but really needed just ANYTHING of japan after all the horrors of the war had been laid to rest.

Ishikawa and Imagawa are different people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artum posted:

That's Yasuhiro Imagawa. Ken Ishikawa created Getter Robo.