Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There will probably be people who swear by Seagate but I hate them. I use WD reds. Yes, if you are mirroring the drives then you'll lose whatever extra the larger one has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
WD Red 4TB drives on Amazon have been dropping recently. They'd been sitting at 150, now they're sitting at 125. They were 129 last night when I placed my order. Before that, they had dropped to 134. Just a heads up if anyone's looking for upgrades/replacements.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KingKapalone posted:

One of my 3TB drives died and my friend who helped me set this all up said I can put a 4TB in and just use 3 of it until I potentially have all 4TB drives in there "unlocking" the last TB in each one. Looks like the 4TBs are currently what normally go on sale so I guess it makes sense. Thinking about getting this Seagate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNJBA50/

Be aware that that particular drive is not a NAS drive. Now, not using NAS drives in a NAS or RAID setup will not exactly jump out of your case and murder your dog, but a NAS-specific drive (IronWolf for Seagate, Red series for WD) will carry a better warranty as well as specific features intended to make them more reliable in a RAID-type environment. Consequently, they are recommended despite their price premium over generic desktop drives, particularly if your setup only has 1 disk of redundancy.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Trip report on my build so far -- underwhelming. Smoked a bowl and put all the parts together...and it all booted up first try. Got to get memtesting soon, and then deploy ESXi.

Two things that went weird:
1. Hyper212 cooler, had to use LGA2011 mounting hardware with the X11SSL to get proper fitment.
2. Had to sand down one of the plastic hard drive tray things to squeeze in a Noctua fan in the front -- thick fans won't quite work there.

Noctuas are quiet as gently caress, holy poo poo. I've got to find some IPMI client so I can log in and see what temps and controls are actually at. I have 3x S12A, 1x F12A (CPU HSF) and a single A14.

I'm not used to poo poo working on the first try!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Supermicro has this IPMI utility kinda buried on their site as an alternate to the web based gui. I prefer to use it since getting java working in the web one can be a pain: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

DrDork posted:

Be aware that that particular drive is not a NAS drive. Now, not using NAS drives in a NAS or RAID setup will not exactly jump out of your case and murder your dog, but a NAS-specific drive (IronWolf for Seagate, Red series for WD) will carry a better warranty as well as specific features intended to make them more reliable in a RAID-type environment. Consequently, they are recommended despite their price premium over generic desktop drives, particularly if your setup only has 1 disk of redundancy.

None of my others are NAS. In fact, they are those 3TB Seagates with terrible failure rates from a couple of years ago. My friend built this whole system and only used it for like a week, but then sold it all to me with the drives pretty much at a 90% discount. Can't tell if that's more or less of a reason to buy a Red now with the possibility that more die and I'd want Reds to replace them.

Will the Reds run cooler? The case I'm using has terrible cooling (no front intake over the drives) so I sometimes get alerts that one or two are at 51C. Also, I have two disks of redundancy.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

None of my others are NAS. In fact, they are those 3TB Seagates with terrible failure rates from a couple of years ago. My friend built this whole system and only used it for like a week, but then sold it all to me with the drives pretty much at a 90% discount. Can't tell if that's more or less of a reason to buy a Red now with the possibility that more die and I'd want Reds to replace them.

Will the Reds run cooler? The case I'm using has terrible cooling (no front intake over the drives) so I sometimes get alerts that one or two are at 51C. Also, I have two disks of redundancy.

WD Reds run slower, quieter and are less power hungry than most other drives. They should be a few degrees cooler.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Same with the other NAS drives--most of them are 5400/5900 RPM and tuned for low power use. If the drives you already have are 5400's, though, it probably won't be a night and day difference and you should look at trying to improve airflow. Admittedly, there have been a few reports out that suggest that moderately high temperatures like 50C aren't actually all that bad for drives, but YMMV.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

phosdex posted:

Supermicro has this IPMI utility kinda buried on their site as an alternate to the web based gui. I prefer to use it since getting java working in the web one can be a pain: ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/IPMIView/

Ah, thanks -- I'm new to IPMI and was expecting the BIOS to have a lot of the information I was looking for, but looks like more of it will be available through IPMI.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrDork posted:

Same with the other NAS drives--most of them are 5400/5900 RPM and tuned for low power use. If the drives you already have are 5400's, though, it probably won't be a night and day difference and you should look at trying to improve airflow. Admittedly, there have been a few reports out that suggest that moderately high temperatures like 50C aren't actually all that bad for drives, but YMMV.

Toshiba and Seagate didn't get the memo, most of their new line of NAS drives are 7200 RPM. Worst of all, on the Seagate Ironwolf basically no specs are constant across the line.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I have a Synology unit that has 7 of the ST3000DM001 drives and a single 6TB red drive in it, and the 6TB Red is usually the same temperature as the Seagates. I would bet that the 4TB red is even a degree or two cooler.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Toshiba and Seagate didn't get the memo, most of their new line of NAS drives are 7200 RPM. Worst of all, on the Seagate Ironwolf basically no specs are constant across the line.

I haven't looked at the new Toshibas, but the normal Seagate IronWolf's are 5900 up to at least 4TB. The IronWolf Pro's are 7200, but I don't think too many consumers are buying those anyhow--same with the Red Pro's, which are also all 7200.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DrDork posted:

I haven't looked at the new Toshibas, but the normal Seagate IronWolf's are 5900 up to at least 4TB. The IronWolf Pro's are 7200, but I don't think too many consumers are buying those anyhow--same with the Red Pro's, which are also all 7200.

I was looking specifically at the 6-10TB Ironwolf non-Pros, which are all 7200RPM and seem to be where mainstream "storage drives" are right now. I just had a friend buy 5 8TB ones to put in a NAS.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I need a recommendation on the cheapest, slowest, shittiest 4-port pci-e raid controller that actually works with UEFI boots. My attempt to get a 2nd hand LSI card from china has failed because I don't have a clue on how to even get it to detect in either UEFI or in BIOS mode. I've got an Asus Z270 Tuf mark 2 mobo, and the card would be going in the 3rd x16 slot (electrically x2).

I just need something that can raid my 4 3TB drives for long term storage and it can be slow as poo poo. Hell it doesn't even have to have RAID 5 support I'd be fine with just 10

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

I was looking specifically at the 6-10TB Ironwolf non-Pros, which are all 7200RPM and seem to be where mainstream "storage drives" are right now. I just had a friend buy 5 8TB ones to put in a NAS.

I'd argue that the 4TB ones are probably a good bit more common right now than the larger ones. Either way, the 7200 IronWolf ones should (theoretically) give better performance than the Reds (which are all 5400), albeit at the cost of slightly higher temps and power use. Though with an "average operating power" of 5-9W depending on model for the IronWolf, vs 5-6W for a Red in operation, and about a 1W difference at idle, you'd need a bunch of them running for a very long time to notice any cost savings in the power department.

The IronWolf drives also claim to be slightly louder (as expected) at about 28 dBs vs 25 dBs.

The bigger IronWolf drives also have notably higher caches (256 on the IronWolf 7/8/10TB, 128 on the 6TB, 64 for 4TB and down) than the Reds (128 for the 8TB, 64 otherwise), for what it's worth.

Basically they don't seem to be different enough, spec-wise, to really care about unless you're really after somewhat better performance, in which case get the IronWolf, or if you abjectly hate Seagate, in which case obviously get the Reds.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

I want to know more, if you can, because most hardware RAID conducts block level checks and will alert you. What happened?
No hardware RAID, and we lost a lot of data nodes over time without ever doing rebalancing out of reasons directly attributable to laziness and lack of operational rigor. Admittedly, neither HDFS nor ZFS won't save you from sheer laziness and incompetence. I'll never understand start-ups that can't distinguish between cost effectiveness and delaying an inevitable nuclear implosion.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
In case anyone doesn't check SA-Mart, I've got a 1TB 850 PRO for sale... Kinda overkill for a NAS, but that's what this thread is alllllll about.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

zegermans posted:

I need a recommendation on the cheapest, slowest, shittiest 4-port pci-e raid controller that actually works with UEFI boots. My attempt to get a 2nd hand LSI card from china has failed because I don't have a clue on how to even get it to detect in either UEFI or in BIOS mode. I've got an Asus Z270 Tuf mark 2 mobo, and the card would be going in the 3rd x16 slot (electrically x2).

I just need something that can raid my 4 3TB drives for long term storage and it can be slow as poo poo. Hell it doesn't even have to have RAID 5 support I'd be fine with just 10

Which LSI card? It might be as simple as flashing the UEFI driver code to it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Or install it into a non UEFI motherboard. That's what I did with my Dell hba.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Which LSI card? It might be as simple as flashing the UEFI driver code to it.

It was sold on eBay as a 9264-8i. However that model doesn't even exist on broadcoms website, it skips from 9261 to 9265. I've tried putting it in a few ancient pcie machines and a middle age one and in those they don't even POST with the card in. I can't flash it if it never detects in anything.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

zegermans posted:

It was sold on eBay as a 9264-8i. However that model doesn't even exist on broadcoms website, it skips from 9261 to 9265. I've tried putting it in a few ancient pcie machines and a middle age one and in those they don't even POST with the card in. I can't flash it if it never detects in anything.

PCIe is hotplug (if you're lucky on hardware support). Have you tried doing it live?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

zegermans posted:

My Dell H310 needed two contacts on the PCIE connector covered with tape to POST. Crazy, but it worked, and the card has 4x6TB drives happily running on it.

http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html?m=1

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

sharkytm posted:

My Dell H310 needed two contacts on the PCIE connector covered with tape to POST. Crazy, but it worked, and the card has 4x6TB drives happily running on it.

http://yannickdekoeijer.blogspot.com/2012/04/modding-dell-perc-6-sas-raidcontroller.html?m=1

I thought about an H310 on ebay but a lot of reviews said it didn't work. I guess I'll try that on my LSI

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

zegermans posted:

I thought about an H310 on ebay but a lot of reviews said it didn't work. I guess I'll try that on my LSI

It can't hurt... I used kapton tape.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into an issue with my Dell Poweredge T410. System has 6 SATA ports and I have 6 HD's plus a boot SSD. Figured, no problem I'll stick in a cheapo Asmedia SATAx2 PCI-E card. Well the drat T410 won't complete post with it in the system AND a HD hooked to it. If I stick the controller in the system and boot, no problem, boots fine. Hook one HD to it and the Dell SATA ACHI bios freaks out and says all the drives are uninitialized at post and then you get nothing.

I suppose I have to buy some goddamn Dell SATA / SAS card or something.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 26, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

I just ran into an issue with my Dell Poweredge T410. System has 6 SATA ports and I have 6 HD's plus a boot SSD. Figured, no problem I'll stick in a cheapo Asmedia SATAx2 PCI-E card. Well the drat T410 won't complete post with it in the system AND a HD hooked to it. If I stick the controller in the system and boot, no problem, boots fine. Hook one HD to it and the Dell SATA ACHI bios freaks out and says all the drives are uninitialized at post and then you get nothing.

I suppose I have to buy some goddamn Dell SATA / SAS card or something.

Try disabling the built in SATA controller and then installing the card.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also threw some server poo poo in SA-Mart. Someone go buy sharkytm's dirt cheap awesome rear end SSD.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Try disabling the built in SATA controller and then installing the card.

I will try this next. Problem is the card has 2 x sata ports and I need a total of 7 or 8. I may have to just buy some HBA card.. I would just do this but the Poweredge itself is a limited platform for my uses. Only 6 drive bays. No easy way to expand with hotswap cages. Motherboard is proprietary. GRR. 2nd processor heatsink runs over 100 bux because DELL!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

redeyes posted:

I will try this next. Problem is the card has 2 x sata ports and I need a total of 7 or 8. I may have to just buy some HBA card.. I would just do this but the Poweredge itself is a limited platform for my uses. Only 6 drive bays. No easy way to expand with hotswap cages. Motherboard is proprietary. GRR. 2nd processor heatsink runs over 100 bux because DELL!

Another option could be to set the Asmedia card so that it doesn't recognize it has drives connected during POST. The OS should still be able to pick up the drive. This used to work in the days with harddrive size limitations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
For a basic ZFS NAS build (just NAS, not hosting a bunch of other poo poo): G4400T or G4560? The T-series low-power is kinda compelling but the hyperthreading makes the 4560 quite a bit faster when needed.

It's not like the thing will be loaded all the time, right? And the idle powers should be mostly the same?

Both support ECC according to the Ark, so I should be good there.

edit: I read on another forum that they're the same apart from the clocks - so the T-series aren't binned?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 27, 2017

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I just ordered a Synology DS216+II and a couple WD Red 4gb drives.

This is just going to be used for bittorent/streaming media really. Maybe some minor backups, but nothing incredibly important. I was going to go with a 4-bay setup, but this was literally half the cost and I don't need a ton of storage space. I just wanted something that could do AES-NI. Any compelling reason I should have got a beefier setup that I'm just spacing?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

ddogflex posted:

I just ordered a Synology DS216+II and a couple WD Red 4gb drives.

This is just going to be used for bittorent/streaming media really. Maybe some minor backups, but nothing incredibly important. I was going to go with a 4-bay setup, but this was literally half the cost and I don't need a ton of storage space. I just wanted something that could do AES-NI. Any compelling reason I should have got a beefier setup that I'm just spacing?

It won't do plex transcoding, if that's something you care about.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

For a basic ZFS NAS build (just NAS, not hosting a bunch of other poo poo): G4400T or G4560? The T-series low-power is kinda compelling but the hyperthreading makes the 4560 quite a bit faster when needed.

It's not like the thing will be loaded all the time, right? And the idle powers should be mostly the same?

Both support ECC according to the Ark, so I should be good there.

edit: I read on another forum that they're the same apart from the clocks - so the T-series aren't binned?

I'd go with a G4560 for sure.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

n.. posted:

It won't do plex transcoding, if that's something you care about.

I don't know how much that matters to me, generally things I get can just be remuxed if anything. What would you recommend if I did want transcoding though?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

ddogflex posted:

I don't know how much that matters to me, generally things I get can just be remuxed if anything. What would you recommend if I did want transcoding though?

None of the smaller Synology or QNAPs, unfortunately. They just don't have the CPU power until you get into the bigger more expensive ones. I just went through this same dilemma myself and ended up repurposing my old PC into a NAS.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've got the QNAP TS-251 (not even the one they market as the transcoding one, the TS-251+) and it transcodes 1 1080p stream fine or a couple of 720p simultaneous streams.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Thwomp posted:

I've got the QNAP TS-251 (not even the one they market as the transcoding one, the TS-251+) and it transcodes 1 1080p stream fine or a couple of 720p simultaneous streams.

I can almost guarantee you're not actually transcoding. You're probably streaming with it set to 'original' quality which is just remuxing with no video transcode.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
gently caress it, Dell has a deal on a Poweredge T30 with a Xeon and 8GB of RAM for $350. Going with that. They have a Pentium based one with 4gb ECC for $200. Either one seems like a way better bet than the Synology. Although bigger and more power consuming I suppose. Should suite me though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
When replacing a drive in FreeNAS, after you pop it in do you need to have had it formatted in anyway? My friend said he's always had to connect them to his desktop in his external drive enclosure to format it before then putting it in the NAS. FreeNAS doesn't accept it otherwise. I don't know all the details on how to do it yet but that doesn't sound right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ddogflex posted:

gently caress it, Dell has a deal on a Poweredge T30 with a Xeon and 8GB of RAM for $350. Going with that. They have a Pentium based one with 4gb ECC for $200. Either one seems like a way better bet than the Synology. Although bigger and more power consuming I suppose. Should suite me though.

The Pentium won't have enough balls to make a good do-other-stuff other than just file serving. Definitely get the Xeon.