Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Doesn't seem like it should be very hard, the main work is just testing to get rid of false positives and adding in enough cases to cover a wide enough range of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

apropos man posted:

I changed my avatar for these here forums this morning. When I went to pay my 5 bux I accidentally typed an extra digit into my credit card number, then when I corrected it I noticed that Firefox had saved the number in autofill.

So my Firefox autofill now has at least 2 entries containing a correct and a slightly incorrect version of my credit card number.

I know that I can delete these from Firefox by highlighting them and pressing DELETE to remove them from autofill but I don't want to go all the way through the SA ordering process just to bring them up.

Is there an extension that lets you view all your autofill data and preferably search through it to delete things on an individual basis?

I believe Form History Control will do what you need

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Hargrimm posted:

I believe Form History Control will do what you need

That is absolutely perfect and exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!!

EDIT: just searching for "card" as a Fieldname value brings up all instances of when I've entered credit card details. This is a good extension.

apropos man fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 23, 2017

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
All this time I've been stuck using the 32-bit build because I couldn't live without LastPass and now I find out they have a compliant version on their website :doh:
I guess its been stuck in the mozilla review process for over a year (possibly still has bugs).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Spyde posted:

All this time I've been stuck using the 32-bit build because I couldn't live without LastPass and now I find out they have a compliant version on their website :doh:
I guess its been stuck in the mozilla review process for over a year (possibly still has bugs).

Given that it's a LastPass Firefox extension I guarantee you it has, and will always have bugs.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah, LastPass for Firefox is compete loving dogshit in my experience. Really wish I had an alternative for work.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
A week ago I was using 3D Earth view in google maps and for some reason it crashed, Firefox reloaded into 3D mode ok, then crashed again a minute later. When I reloaded google maps now limits me to satellite view, and says that 3D view is unavailable. I haven't been able to figure out how to re-enable 3D earth view.

Incognito mode also limits me to satellite view so I don't think its a cookies issue, but a different Firefox profile works, so I assume its some setting that Firefox enabled automatically on my profile to disable a recurrently crashing 3D mode. However I have not been able to figure out how to re-enable it. Any suggestions?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ArcaneMan posted:

Any suggestions?

You can try hardware accel and webgl on/off: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/upgrade-graphics-drivers-use-hardware-acceleration And you can try reinstalling gfx drivers. It's kind of mysterious why Maps 3D fails sometimes, one of the reasons I switched to Firefox was that it hadn't worked in Chrome (!) for a year or so.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ArcaneMan posted:

Any suggestions?

Clear out your cookies/any google ones?

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Buff Skeleton posted:

Yeah, LastPass for Firefox is compete loving dogshit in my experience. Really wish I had an alternative for work.
Weird I switched from Chrome a few months ago and can't say I've noticed any difference. Has worked fine for my usage.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Spyde posted:

Weird I switched from Chrome a few months ago and can't say I've noticed any difference. Has worked fine for my usage.

Yeah, I suppose it's fair to say that, mostly, it does work. But it's so awfully designed and the new UI is terrible and slow, and the online vault is just as bad. It's mainly just incredibly janky rather than outright broken.

If we weren't pretty much forced to use the enterprise version for work and there was something better out there with online sync and browse extensions, I'd switch in a heartbeat. But it's the best we've got for the lack of alternatives with the same feature set I think.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I had to reformat last weekend and I'm still working on replicating the years-old rear end-groove that I had worn into whatever old rear end build of firefox that I had been using.

Previously I was using a custom, dark themed style sheet for Something Awful that I'm pretty sure was installed via Stylish. It looked a lot like the first option listed here: https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=Something%20awful

But now all those links are dead and I haven't had to think about stylesheets fot like three years. I ginned up a profle in Color-That-Site for the moment but it's not as nice as the old stylesheet.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a nice dark stylesheet for Something Awful that is primarily black and gray that I can use in FF 53?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Copper Vein posted:

Previously I was using a custom, dark themed style sheet for Something Awful that I'm pretty sure was installed via Stylish. It looked a lot like the first option listed here: https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=Something%20awful

But now all those links are dead
https://userstyles.org/styles/25614/
the period in the URL broke it; you can delete the slug (part after the numbers/) and load it and it'll work
lol @ a search page that gives broken links

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
That was exactly it. Thanks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Spyde posted:

Lastpass seems to have a high profile security flaw revealed for their browser extensions every other week. You may want to consider another password manager for that reason alone.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Lastpass seems to have a high profile security flaw revealed for their browser extensions every other week. You may want to consider another password manager for that reason alone.
There are security flaws in windows all the time too but I still use it. Reality is I've never heard anyone say they personally had their LastPass hacked. Not saying it's great (extension is definitely janky), but it usually works and is probably the best solution for me. A quick google search shows it's still rated as one of the best password managers out there.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

cis autodrag posted:

The fact that they have security flaws isn't bad. As Spyde basically said, it's a fact of life. The reason LastPass is worth using is their response to these events; it's among the best in the industry.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

The fact that they have security flaws isn't bad. As Spyde basically said, it's a fact of life. The reason LastPass is worth using is their response to these events; it's among the best in the industry.
you mean when their servers were hacked multiple times and they kept downplaying the risks? just because a company keeps telling you things are fine doesn't make it so

do not use lastpass.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Spyde posted:

A quick google search shows it's still rated as one of the best password managers out there.

Well yeah, when I think of the most proven and respected people in informatics and cryptography, I think of the first page of Google search results.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you mean when their servers were hacked multiple times and they kept downplaying the risks? just because a company keeps telling you things are fine doesn't make it so

do not use lastpass.

Lastpass is poo poo.

They have shown themselves to be absolutely incompetent at secure design. Any features they have that are actually passably secure are typically a result of patching flaws that needed to be pointed out to them by Tavis and others.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Well yeah, when I think of the most proven and respected people in informatics and cryptography, I think of the first page of Google search results.
I mean it was a hell of a lot more informative than this post which contributes nothing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Can you still create a webpage that looks exactly like the lastpass login page (since the plugin's login page is a webpage) so that it steals your credentials? But is also able to then log you into the plugin to hide that fact entirely? That was my favorite lastpass exploit.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Spyde posted:

I mean it was a hell of a lot more informative than this post which contributes nothing.

Exactly what editorial or evidence-based control do you think Google or the headlines and SEO tags of whatever ten pages they throw up for starters are doing that makes their claims authoritative?

Even if your spurious claim had any basis, wasting a post, even on straight-up white space, would be more informative than the borderline disinformation of using an appeal to Google results as a point of argument.

And you're using this disinformation to convince people that a company that doesn't know how not to be cavalier with their company's sole reason for being, that can't even be audited or bonded against breaches, is the best way to safeguard the digital equivalent of themselves.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spyde posted:

Stop lying to yourself.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
The best password manager is the shutthehellupaboutpasswordmanagersffs.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

/hipstermode on

I've been using KeePass since before LastPass even existed, and when I first heard of people excitedly using a service that entrusted their password storage to some random company I remember facepalming so hard at the idiocy of the very concept.

I would still be facepalming exactly as hard even if LastPass, Inc. had a completely flawless security record and was in fact run by the seraphims of the empyrean choir themselves.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Stop posting about password managers:siren:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I upgraded to the 64bit v53.0 and just noticed that when I try to save an image by [right click] [save image as] Firefox will crash. Beyond this last update, I haven't changed anything with my setup for a while and I know saving images used to work.

I restarted in safe mode and same thing.

Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: I've had the 'save image in folder' extension turned off for ages but never uninstalled it. I turned it back on to see if I could still use it and, yep, it works fine. So Firefox can download images, just not through using its default menu item.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2017

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I upgraded to the 64bit v53.0 and just noticed that when I try to save an image by [right click] [save image as] Firefox will crash. Beyond this last update, I haven't changed anything with my setup for a while and I know saving images used to work.

I restarted in safe mode and same thing.

Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: I've had the 'save image in folder' extension turned off for ages but never uninstalled it. I turned it back on to see if I could still use it and, yep, it works fine. So Firefox can download images, just not through using its default menu item.

Walk through the steps in the OP.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Works fine for me on 53 x64.

Sounds more like that extension hosed something up royally, because the internet would be on fire if users couldn't save their hot 9gag memes.

'ST
Jul 24, 2003

"The world has nothing to fear from military ambition in our Government."
I had something similar happen a couple of years ago. The cause was downloading a file to removable media and then trying to download something else later with the media removed.

Open a new tab and go to "about:config". Search for "browser.download". In my case, the "lastDir" option was set to an inaccessible folder. Changing it to my desktop (or some other normally accessible folder) fixed it for me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks for the ideas, I had already gone though all the steps in the OP, including making a new profile, but nothing worked. Well, I did all the steps bar refreshing.

Given how huge a hassle refreshing is and the fact that it's just this one specific issue, I'm willing to live with it for the moment. Save Image In Folder still works, despite not being multiprocess compatible, so I'll leave it turned on and see what happens with the next Firefox update.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Thanks for the ideas, I had already gone though all the steps in the OP, including making a new profile, but nothing worked. Well, I did all the steps bar refreshing.

Given how huge a hassle refreshing is and the fact that it's just this one specific issue, I'm willing to live with it for the moment. Save Image In Folder still works, despite not being multiprocess compatible, so I'll leave it turned on and see what happens with the next Firefox update.

Refreshing is functionally simpler than making a new profile, so if you already tried making a new profile, you're good. You're saying that FF acts weird even with a brand new profile and no extensions?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Yes. I just made a new profile and left it totally pristine to test to see if right click and 'save image as' still caused Firefox to crash. It did.

Which is really weird and most likely means I need to do a reinstall to fix it.

It might also be related to the weird bug I had where my 64bit version of FF kept changing itself to the 32bit one after reboot for about two months before fixing itself.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes. I just made a new profile and left it totally pristine to test to see if right click and 'save image as' still caused Firefox to crash. It did.

Which is really weird and most likely means I need to do a reinstall to fix it.

It might also be related to the weird bug I had where my 64bit version of FF kept changing itself to the 32bit one after reboot for about two months before fixing itself.

Yeah I'd go with manually re-downloading and reinstalling Firefox.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

astral posted:

Yeah I'd go with manually re-downloading and reinstalling Firefox.

Which is the last step in the list in the OP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'd do a chkdsk /r too, that sounds like you've got wonky system-level stuff going on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Knormal posted:

I'd do a chkdsk /r too, that sounds like you've got wonky system-level stuff going on.
Don't do this, it does nothing helpful on modern drives. They don't report bad sectors unless the drive is so badly failing that it would have thrown and error when you tried to boot the machine. If you want to check the health status of a harddrive, use Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable zip doesn't have anime or ads).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

Don't do this, it does nothing helpful on modern drives. They don't report bad sectors unless the drive is so badly failing that it would have thrown and error when you tried to boot the machine. If you want to check the health status of a harddrive, use Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable zip doesn't have anime or ads).
It'll still find and fix NTFS issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Knormal posted:

It'll still find and fix NTFS issues.

Just use chkdsk /f for that. No need to waste time by having it go over the entire drive.