Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

The single block Steam Boiler. It's sort of an ad-hoc power producer until you can get the bio-reactors with 4+ types of produce going. I guess you can argue it's the tree farm's power block but if it's part of a multi-mod pack there are much better alternatives for producing steam.

Ehhh you can take a few of them and go straight to a Big Reactors turbine. I put a comedy questline in BFSR in it, but I forgot the general numbers. I think a turbine with electrum coils--which I expect the player to generally be able to get at that point--can get roughly 1500 RF/tick out of three steam boilers if they do the math right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well yes, that's what ad-hoc means: built for a specific situation but not for general purpose. =)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

alright thread, i have a confession to make

i'm playing a pack where IC2 Experimental, aka the Gregtech-ified version, is a mandatory part of progression

and, uh..

and i'm actually having fun with it

have i lost my mind??? :wth:

The early to midgame parts of Gregtech have a good sense of reward and smooth progression. Well, assuming you can find the ores required for Bronze easily. The biggest problem with Gregtech has always been that the high end to endgame is loving stupid. Excessive crafting steps are one thing, but the timesinks (and to some extent actual material costs) get absolutely ludicrous past HV. Titanium ingots are barely tolerable, gently caress Tungsten.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

I guess you missed the part of the thread I think about a year or so ago where a bunch of us were playing through a GregTech pack and having similar feelings.

new horizons is the minecraft modpack equivalent of a meth habit

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Has anyone been able to get 1.10 Alternate Terrain Generation to play nicely with the other big world gen mods? I tried running it in a custom pack alongside Abyssalcraft and Biomes O' Plenty as well as just adding it to All the Mods 1.10; they both have the same problem with the client's chunk loading (or generation, I'm not entirely sure which) just breaking and never coming back after a few minutes of playing.

ATG is an amazing mod, but it seems problematic in 1.10. It's expressly noted by the dev to be compatible with BOP, but they don't say anything about Abyssalcraft. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 24, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

The early to midgame parts of Gregtech have a good sense of reward and smooth progression. Well, assuming you can find the ores required for Bronze easily. The biggest problem with Gregtech has always been that the high end to endgame is loving stupid. Excessive crafting steps are one thing, but the timesinks (and to some extent actual material costs) get absolutely ludicrous past HV. Titanium ingots are barely tolerable, gently caress Tungsten.

Well, I'm not playing Gregtech, I'm playing the infinity evolved expert skyblock, whose tech tree is heavily gated with progression in IC2-experimental

e.g.: in order to get started with AE2, you need to make (among other things) 16 iridium plates, which is 64 iridium ore, and each iridium ore requires you to huck a MOX fuel and a unit of RTG pellets into a buildcraft assembly tower and laser it with a large amount of RF

each MOX fuel and RTG pellets item requires 3 plutonium, which is made either by UU-matter or by processing spent fuel rods to the tune of 1/9th of a unit of plutonium per fuel rod

and so on

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i'm playing a pack where IC2 Experimental, aka the Gregtech-ified version, is a mandatory part of progression

and, uh..

Is it for 1.7.10? I miss IC2

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

Is it for 1.7.10? I miss IC2

Yes, yes it is. Other things it has (you've probably heard of some of these:)

* Project Red, a redpower2 clone
* Buildcraft
* Logistics Pipes (and since AE2 is heavily, heavily gated behind a wall of progression, it's the best automation choice for mid-game)

IC2 is... different in 1.7.10. It uses the Experimental branch of IC2, which changes a lot of the recipes and power mechanics (e.g.: machines no longer explode when given the wrong voltage.)

The pack name is FTB Infinity Evolved Skyblock, and I'm playing it on the twitch nee curse platform thing, though I'm sure you can get it on the FTB one as well.

There's no questbook, but there's a rudimentary guide to get started in the inventory menu (the book icon to the left.)

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

OgNar posted:

Has anyone ever used IEs diesel generator as their main source of power? How many farms/squeezers/fermenters does it take to actually keep that thing going. Because it just drains any amount of biodiesel that I can generate.

Yeah, I've used it for the last two packs I've played. You need two octadic capacitor upgraded eio farming stations farming melons, and a round robin duct feeding the fermenter and a crafter making seeds feeding the squeezer. Should be eternal power ish. The thing about that fuel loop is that the fermenter/squeezer will eat 1500RF/t+ and the farming stations another 200+, so you're only making ~2k rf/t profit.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

new horizons is the minecraft modpack equivalent of a meth habit

I've tried gtnh a couple times but finding ore is just too much of a pain in the rear end for me to seriously consider it. I'd sooner do a factorio bobs/angels seablock pack, which I'm playing right now off and on.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Well, I'm not playing Gregtech, I'm playing the infinity evolved expert skyblock, whose tech tree is heavily gated with progression in IC2-experimental

e.g.: in order to get started with AE2, you need to make (among other things) 16 iridium plates, which is 64 iridium ore, and each iridium ore requires you to huck a MOX fuel and a unit of RTG pellets into a buildcraft assembly tower and laser it with a large amount of RF

each MOX fuel and RTG pellets item requires 3 plutonium, which is made either by UU-matter or by processing spent fuel rods to the tune of 1/9th of a unit of plutonium per fuel rod

and so on

Oh. Well, get back to us when you have to wait for hours to make those RTG pellets.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and, uh..

I genuinely enjoyed the heck outta IE Expert and Skyblock especially compared to any other "expert" type pack, but I definitely had to be in a particular mood for it. Sometimes I want a progression pack, sometimes kitchen sink pack, sometimes a quest book pack, sometimes TFC, etc.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Oh. Well, get back to us when you have to wait for hours to make those RTG pellets.

Eh, they are pretty easy to make, they just take three plutonium and six U238, which is so common for me now that I had to upgrade my storage drawer for it. I'd have quite a few of them by now if I wasn't railroading all my plutonium into MOX fuel. (MOX fuel makes plutonium twice as fast as enriched uranium.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, they are pretty easy to make, they just take three plutonium and six U238, which is so common for me now that I had to upgrade my storage drawer for it. I'd have quite a few of them by now if I wasn't railroading all my plutonium into MOX fuel. (MOX fuel makes plutonium twice as fast as enriched uranium.)

Wow you must've been running an IC2 reactor from very early on. Someone else was talking about how it would take like half an hour for each plutonium or something dumb like that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, I've used it for the last two packs I've played. You need two octadic capacitor upgraded eio farming stations farming melons, and a round robin duct feeding the fermenter and a crafter making seeds feeding the squeezer. Should be eternal power ish. The thing about that fuel loop is that the fermenter/squeezer will eat 1500RF/t+ and the farming stations another 200+, so you're only making ~2k rf/t profit.

That doesnt come anywhere close to being worth it with the amount of steel and time it takes to make it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

OgNar posted:

I do like the fact that Survival Stories doesnt have Tinkers and Mfr which forces me into other alternatives that I had never tried before. Like Immersive engineerings drill which takes 3 multiblock structures and a few farms for the resources to get it going. But it just chews through the rock and looks damned cool while doing it.

Has anyone ever used IEs diesel generator as their main source of power? How many farms/squeezers/fermenters does it take to actually keep that thing going. Because it just drains any amount of biodiesel that I can generate.

I think it depends on the pack/config you use, but over at Disasterpiece Theater, I've set up pretty much a perpetual melon farm. I've got an EIO farming station farming melons, augmented by AA's worms and greenhouse glass to make farming much faster. Past that point, everything's all IE tech though. The farm outputs slices which are shunted onto a conveyor belt that splits the slices evenly between an automatic assembler and a silo. Half the slices go into a silo, the other half get turned to seeds in the assembler and sent to a separate silo. From each silo, the seeds and slices are sent to a pair of squeezers and fermenters respectively, which turn them to plant oil and ethanol respectively. The fluids are then piped to their own separate tanks. From there, the tanks pump out to two refineries, which produce biodiesel that's stored in 4 external tanks. That biodiesel is then used to run up to 3 or 4(I forget how many off the top of my head) generators that power not only the machinery, but the lights and a set of excavators that were set up around the facility. The farm can run practically non-stop(melons don't grow at night), and thanks to careful route management, nothing ever clogs up. If you head over to the thread and get yourself whitelisted, I can jump on one afternoon and give you the tour of the place. It's honestly pretty neat.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

neogeo0823 posted:

I think it depends on the pack/config you use, but over at Disasterpiece Theater, I've set up pretty much a perpetual melon farm. I've got an EIO farming station farming melons, augmented by AA's worms and greenhouse glass to make farming much faster. Past that point, everything's all IE tech though. The farm outputs slices which are shunted onto a conveyor belt that splits the slices evenly between an automatic assembler and a silo. Half the slices go into a silo, the other half get turned to seeds in the assembler and sent to a separate silo. From each silo, the seeds and slices are sent to a pair of squeezers and fermenters respectively, which turn them to plant oil and ethanol respectively. The fluids are then piped to their own separate tanks. From there, the tanks pump out to two refineries, which produce biodiesel that's stored in 4 external tanks. That biodiesel is then used to run up to 3 or 4(I forget how many off the top of my head) generators that power not only the machinery, but the lights and a set of excavators that were set up around the facility. The farm can run practically non-stop(melons don't grow at night), and thanks to careful route management, nothing ever clogs up. If you head over to the thread and get yourself whitelisted, I can jump on one afternoon and give you the tour of the place. It's honestly pretty neat.

I have tried your server before. Sadly my celeron latop with intel video simply cannot handle too many mods.
Luckily I am quite happy with single player.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Toadsmash posted:

Has anyone been able to get 1.10 Alternate Terrain Generation to play nicely with the other big world gen mods? I tried running it in a custom pack alongside Abyssalcraft and Biomes O' Plenty as well as just adding it to All the Mods 1.10; they both have the same problem with the client's chunk loading (or generation, I'm not entirely sure which) just breaking and never coming back after a few minutes of playing.

ATG is an amazing mod, but it seems problematic in 1.10. It's expressly noted by the dev to be compatible with BOP, but they don't say anything about Abyssalcraft. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Try Realistic Terrain Generation? I have been fussing with 1.10 for a little bit and it has worked fine with a variety of things.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2524489-realistic-terrain-generation-rtg-realistic-biomes

edit: explicitly supports Abyssalcraft and these other things:

Biomes O' Plenty (version 5.0.0.2068 or later) - REQUIRES Climate Control or BiomeTweaker
AbyssalCraft (version 1.9.2 or later)
Agricultural Revolution (version 0.8.7 or later)
Better Agriculture (version 0.16 or later)
Flowercraft (version 5.02 or later)
Oh the Biomes You'll Go! 3 (version 4.0.0 or later)
Mine World Mod (version 0.7.1 or later)
Mithwood Forest (version RMF1.01 or later)
More Chinese Minecraft (version 1.2.1 or later)
SugiForest (version 1.2.2 or later)
Ars Magica (version 1.5.012 or later)
Jikou (version 3.2.0 or later)
Rockhounding: Surface (version 1.07 or later)

ergot fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Wow you must've been running an IC2 reactor from very early on. Someone else was talking about how it would take like half an hour for each plutonium or something dumb like that.

I have had a reactor for a while, yeah. Now I have three. Two of them are completely automated, and the third is manual pending complete transition to MOX fuel. My logistics pipes system can requisition a completely new reactor at the press of a few buttons, minus the reinforced stone bunker. (Need to automate iron scaffold and construction foam production...) Reactors are actually pretty cheap to make, resource wise -- a lot of copper and iron, but no diamonds and minimal redstone needed.

However, it's more that I've got a lot of hours sunk into the pack. Between reactor cycles and my crappy UU-matter production, I've made eight total mox fuel (24 plutonium.) Still got a ways to go.

IC2 REACTOR SPERG FOLLOWS:

--

An IC2 reactor takes 2h47m to cycle. Doing so (without it exploding) fully uses any fuel rods inside, leaving behind depleted fuel rods. These can be hucked into a thermal centrifuge to reclaim some of the U238, as well as make a tiny pile of plutonium per rod. 9 tiny piles = 1 plutonium. My reactor design uses 28 fuel rods (seven quad fuel rods) so I get 3 plutonium per cycle, plus one tiny pile. 3 plutonium is good for one MOX fuel or one unit of RTG pellets.

The reason I'm going so hard into MOX fuel is that MOX fuel lasts half the time inside a reactor, and yields the 3 plutonium per rod back once centrifuged, plus an additional tiny pile (like the enriched uranium fuel rod.) This doubles your reactor-based plutonium production at a paltry cost in U238 (which I personally have coming out of my ears and am considering using as decoration.)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I didn't even notice trying to run ATG that it hasn't been updated in almost two years. OOPS.

Definitely taking RTG for a whirl.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Toadsmash posted:

I didn't even notice trying to run ATG that it hasn't been updated in almost two years. OOPS.

Definitely taking RTG for a whirl.

Quark also has a built-in realistic terrain generator if people want, and everyone should have Quark already installed on Minecraft 1.9+ anyways. ;)

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
I'm looking to get back into Minceraft after a super long absence. I'm already planning on grabbing basic quality-of-life mods like Quark and such, but maybe you guys can help with some pie-in-the-sky stuff I've always wanted. Stand by for :words:

My main issue with vanilla Minecraft and a lot of its mods is that it/they breed complacency in terms of resource gathering, and therefore I overlook a lot of content because the game doesn't really encourage me to use it. For example, there are several biomes I've never seen (Mega taiga, ice spikes, etc) because I never really see the need to explore. I pick my site (usually Extreme Hills because Fred Flintstone caves are excellent) and only ever mine in that area, because just about everything I need is right there. Sure, I have to go further afield to find luxury items like Emeralds or certain plants, or to find horses or such, but I never really need to do so. I remember, back in the days of Beta, a friend of mine played on a map that was generated back in late Alpha, before the introduction of lapis; he was in the middle of a massive project to create hovering roads into newly-generated land just to find lapis. I had a similar experience back in Beta 1.2 or so, when a world mysteriously void of caves generated and I had to make a massive tunnel to find anything, but not much afterwards. I also found the creation of roads in general pretty much useless, especially after the introduction of sprinting; why waste time smoothing the ground and painstakingly placing blocks when I could just sprint everywhere with my literal tons of bread and staircase upwards through mountains if I really have to.

Basically, I'd like to see if there's a mod somewhere that ties ore generation to specific biomes. Gold might be located only in Extreme Hills or Jungles, and diamonds only in a desert, and so on, but they'd be much more common than vanilla in those areas. That'd give the player a reason to go further afield beyond "It'd be cool to see [biome]." TerrafirmaCraft is the only mod I know of that does something even remotely similar, by shoving its new ores into relatively accurate geological formations, which I very much liked. The only issue I had with that was that ore veins aren't especially big; what I'm looking for is more "you might as well build a base here because this is the only real place for gold."

Another mod I remember from back in the day was Better Than Wolves. I stopped playing once the mod maker got a hard-on for super intense hardcore difficulty, but one of the later features I really liked was a multiplier effect on speed on certain blocks. Basically, certain blocks would slow you down if you walked on them or through them, like Tall Grass and Sand; certain other blocks would actually speed you up pretty significantly (Cobblestone, Stone, gravel, other 'road' materials). If it weren't such a pain in the rear end to build roads in BTW when I last played it, it would have been pretty cool to finally have a use for that chestful of cobblestone and lead to some cool engineering challenges with bridges and the like.

I really doubt that any mods with either of these effects are around, at least the way that I described them. The only hit I got on the ore front was some tiny thing that hasn't had an update since 2015, and BTW remains the only mod that implements movement speed multipliers that I know of.

SodiumEnriched fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 25, 2017

Carsius
May 7, 2013

In chance cubes, there is a result where it destroys your entire base. All of it. If you can see it, it's gone.

This is why I keep backups.

Edit: And I don't mean a huge explosion; it just deletes everything. It's worse than the draconic reactor meltdown.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 25, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blightfall encourages you to explore because certain ores only spawn in specific biomes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Everything I've ever seen suggests chance cubes are total poo poo and never worth the risk, and that they're basically used by lazy pack makers in place of an actual structured or designed reward tree.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Everything I've ever seen suggests chance cubes are total poo poo and never worth the risk, and that they're basically used by lazy pack makers in place of an actual structured or designed reward tree.

I think it's actually meant for streamers.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I love chance cubes, irish luck, pandoras box, chance isochohadwhatevers and what have you. It gives you something different to do on both kitchen sinks and small modpacks. Sure, you might blow up your base or the entire world, but that's why you open it in another dimension or something. I'm lazy, so I just go out in the wilderness where noone has a base (or into the nether or the end), or just deep down in the ocean to open a stack and see what happens.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure Chance Cubes specifically is highly customizable when it comes to rewards. Packs like PO2 with draconic reactor explosions and poo poo are often using rewards/punishments enabled by or even created by the pack-maker. Pack-makers could balance Chance Cubes to be less stupidly punishing (or not punishing at all!), but then they wouldn't be "funny," I guess.

Mostly, the inclusion of Chance Cubes in a pack is a red flag for me because it usually indicates a LOLRANDOM/punishing philosophy by the the pack-maker, so it probably includes blood moons and John Cena creepers and so on. I could go edit the configs to disable all that, but why bother? Easier to just play a pack more in line with my preferences instead. And generally speaking, I prefer a kitchen sink or a progression pack sans rewards OR a well-designed quest book with considered rewards over RNG chance cubes (or loot bags, or whatever else).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fperson1 posted:

I'm looking to get back into Minceraft after a super long absence. I'm already planning on grabbing basic quality-of-life mods like Quark and such, but maybe you guys can help with some pie-in-the-sky stuff I've always wanted. Stand by for :words:

My main issue with vanilla Minecraft and a lot of its mods is that it/they breed complacency in terms of resource gathering, and therefore I overlook a lot of content because the game doesn't really encourage me to use it. For example, there are several biomes I've never seen (Mega taiga, ice spikes, etc) because I never really see the need to explore. I pick my site (usually Extreme Hills because Fred Flintstone caves are excellent) and only ever mine in that area, because just about everything I need is right there. Sure, I have to go further afield to find luxury items like Emeralds or certain plants, or to find horses or such, but I never really need to do so. I remember, back in the days of Beta, a friend of mine played on a map that was generated back in late Alpha, before the introduction of lapis; he was in the middle of a massive project to create hovering roads into newly-generated land just to find lapis. I had a similar experience back in Beta 1.2 or so, when a world mysteriously void of caves generated and I had to make a massive tunnel to find anything, but not much afterwards. I also found the creation of roads in general pretty much useless, especially after the introduction of sprinting; why waste time smoothing the ground and painstakingly placing blocks when I could just sprint everywhere with my literal tons of bread and staircase upwards through mountains if I really have to.

Basically, I'd like to see if there's a mod somewhere that ties ore generation to specific biomes. Gold might be located only in Extreme Hills or Jungles, and diamonds only in a desert, and so on, but they'd be much more common than vanilla in those areas. That'd give the player a reason to go further afield beyond "It'd be cool to see [biome]." TerrafirmaCraft is the only mod I know of that does something even remotely similar, by shoving its new ores into relatively accurate geological formations, which I very much liked. The only issue I had with that was that ore veins aren't especially big; what I'm looking for is more "you might as well build a base here because this is the only real place for gold."

Another mod I remember from back in the day was Better Than Wolves. I stopped playing once the mod maker got a hard-on for super intense hardcore difficulty, but one of the later features I really liked was a multiplier effect on speed on certain blocks. Basically, certain blocks would slow you down if you walked on them or through them, like Tall Grass and Sand; certain other blocks would actually speed you up pretty significantly (Cobblestone, Stone, gravel, other 'road' materials). If it weren't such a pain in the rear end to build roads in BTW when I last played it, it would have been pretty cool to finally have a use for that chestful of cobblestone and lead to some cool engineering challenges with bridges and the like.

I really doubt that any mods with either of these effects are around, at least the way that I described them. The only hit I got on the ore front was some tiny thing that hasn't had an update since 2015, and BTW remains the only mod that implements movement speed multipliers that I know of.

Wow long time since I have seen a Better Than Wolves fan. I thought I was the old fossil around here.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Fperson1 posted:

There's Better with Mods (which I've never used, nor Better with Wolves, so I don't know how closely it matches) for Minecraft 1.9+, which states

quote:

The more direct answer is that it is a reimagining of the FlowerChild's Better Than Wolves mod, utilizing the standards set by the Beta 1.7.3 version, adapting and adding content based on updates made by Mojang.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

If you enjoyed Better Than Wolves, there is a version of it called Better With Mods. Most recent version for 1.11.2. The nice things it has over BTW is that it's very configurable, and, of course, it's a Forge mod so it can actually be used with other things.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
What's the go to early game power gen method everyone is using? Banks of Survival generators?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

escalator dropdown posted:

Mostly, the inclusion of Chance Cubes in a pack is a red flag for me because it usually indicates a LOLRANDOM/punishing philosophy by the the pack-maker, so it probably includes blood moons and John Cena creepers and so on. I could go edit the configs to disable all that, but why bother? Easier to just play a pack more in line with my preferences instead. And generally speaking, I prefer a kitchen sink or a progression pack sans rewards OR a well-designed quest book with considered rewards over RNG chance cubes (or loot bags, or whatever else).

Speaking of punishing modpacks Craft of The Titans is a beefy quest/adventure pack that has improved mob AI so a Creeper will see you through a window and blow up to let his zombie buddies in or one of the zombie will be carrying tnt and will drop it on your front door and activate it. It also has Blood Moon but the pack specifically has quests that warn you and how to handle it. Usually I just go mining during a Blood Moon unless I'm feeling frisky.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's the go to early game power gen method everyone is using? Banks of Survival generators?

Depends on what's available. I went for magma dynamos for Project Ozone 2 because lava gen is cheap, switched to a small Big Reactor once I needed more than ~1.5k a tick. Because I had enough steel I slapped together a pancake reactor that barely fits inside a single chunk, stacked a single turbine on top of it (with plans for three others close by and then hiding the rest underground) and am now set for power until I start into RFTool dimensions (it's configured for insane power requirements).

Otherwise it's steam dynamo off an early tree farm into compression dynamo that eventually gets built up to a 4x4-stack.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
protip- open chance cubes away from your base. it's just a block that adds a chance of something happening if you hit it. you don't have to hit it. It's like if ProjectE is in a pack, you don't have to use it. Unless there's quests, in which case you might have to do what they say

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

frenzy posted:

Unless there's quests, in which case you might have to do what they say

brb adding "jump off a bridge" quest

the reward will be clay

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Man, I can see why exploration-focused modpacks are relatively hard to come by. Making one that runs worth a damned is really hard. So many of the big world gen mods are hell on performance. :(

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I tend to go with a single coal-fired generator (TE steam dynamo, EIO stirling generator etc) or an IE waterwheel and then ramp into Mekanism Wind Generators if it is in the pack. I'm all about that passive power, and since 1.10 I've been doing the EnvironmentalTech Solar Arrays beyond that.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Oh man, BTW. I can remember all the shitfits its author threw... Gregtech can't hold a candle to his whininess.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Once you figure out how they work, DE reactors are pretty well fire and forget as far as "passive" power goes. Just go way, way, way the hell out of your way to make sure that critical components aren't located anywhere they're liable to get accidentally mined out.

Thaaat isn't exactly early game, though. :downs:

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
It's a super weird mod, but I'm really enjoying Futurepack. It does all the things that tech mods do but it has its own really interesting way of doing them, I'm finding. I compared it to Thaumcraft early on but although when you are first introduced to the aspects system there's a sense of 'what the gently caress do these mean', it's a lot simpler than Thaumcraft.

For those who've never heard of it, like me before I started playing with it in Grimdark, it's a very self-contained tech mod with a research system; you build stuff, you scan the stuff you build to find out what you can do with them and other insights, then you research what you discover to be able to build more stuff. And when I say self-contained, I mean it. It has its own special, very detailed manual with the tech tree in it, its own crafting bench you need to use to make things from the mod, it's own forms of power (Neon Energy, and so on - though there is a machine that converts NE into RF), hell even a ton of decorative and utility blocks like doors, glass, and ladders. And yes, it does the usual ore processing - though it has its own special ways of doing that too.

But aside from the research system, the big thing that makes the mod interesting (to me anyway) is the upgrade system. In this it's quite like EnderIO in that you have machines that you upgrade by putting stuff into them (the capacitors) rather than upgrading the machines themselves. Instead it has a computer chip deal where powered machines have Core, RAM, and Chipset slots. The Core determines the 'corepower' available, which is like.. upgrade points. The combined corepower usage of the RAM and Chipsets needs to fit under what the Core provides, or the machine may overheat and burn the chips out (which heat sinks can help with). As you go up the tech tree you get parts that give more resources per corepower used, so they become more efficient. The RAM value then increases the speed of what the machine does, while the Chipsets provide functionality to the machine. As another example, the power storage Battery Box has several slots in it you can place batteries of increasing tech level to expand its storage capacity.

Also, it has mining drones and laser turrets, I just found out.