Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Pilsner posted:

That wall sure is purple.

gently caress you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Ok I can weigh in a little more on side sleeping on a Purple mattress. This weekend we were staying with relatives and the bed in their guest room seemed nice at first, but I was waking up all night to shift from my side to my back and woke up with lower back pain. Fast forward to side sleeping on my own mattress at home on Sunday and I was out like a light until morning, no soreness no shifting.

For perspective I'm 6'5", 240. Standard fuckoff huge cold weather Midwesterner of Northern European descent build.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do these fancy mattresses like Casper and Purple also need to have their custom frames purchased? I've got a standard metal frame/box spring and I don't know if those are compatible with the mostly-foam mattresses.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Do these fancy mattresses like Casper and Purple also need to have their custom frames purchased? I've got a standard metal frame/box spring and I don't know if those are compatible with the mostly-foam mattresses.

Purple doesn't. We put it in our completely normal Ikea frame and it works fine.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Has anyone bought those stupid as hell Koala mattresses that get advertised all the drat time (in Australia)?

Are they actually any good?

Why do they think people will want to keep red wine glasses on their bed while their partner elbow drops the mattress?

(context:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S4TgsXCsM0

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 24, 2017

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Anyone using the Purple Mattress using a cover on it (either theirs, or your own)? I'm tempted to use my own (because theirs isn't bedbug-proof), but I'd hate for that to get in the way of the breathability.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone using the Purple Mattress using a cover on it (either theirs, or your own)? I'm tempted to use my own (because theirs isn't bedbug-proof), but I'd hate for that to get in the way of the breathability.

Have you ever had a problem with bedbugs? I thought that they were rare outside of skeezy motels.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Have you ever had a problem with bedbugs? I thought that they were rare outside of skeezy motels.

If you make that post in the Gooncave thread, you will essentially discover a Bedbug Survivor Support Group. We all have bedbug PTSD.

And at one point, they were rare, but these days they have been growing into a bigger and bigger problem; we suspect we got ours from an Amazon package. I was lucky enough that they never got into my bedroom (I suspect because I had a metal bed frame, and my roommate didn't), but I'd rather not have to go through the extensive inspection, cleaning, and bagging of all my worldly belongings (as well as paying for the heat treatment) that getting rid of them again involves. Cleanliness makes basically zero difference; once they get a foothold (and it only takes one bug), they're in, and there is no pesticide that is effective against them.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

bed bugs are not super rare (and aren't limited to the bed hurr hurr), especially if you live in a large city, you're bound to know someone that's dealt with them. Thrift stores are a major source, also people buying used mattresses(why!?!?!)/furniture or picking up used furniture out of an alley. They are also common in nursing homes, my fiance worked in 3 different ones and they all were dealing with bedbugs pretty much constantly to some extent.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

You wish. They are common enough in most major/large cities that planning ahead with bedbug mattress protectors has become ubiquitous for everyone I know. And it will only get worse.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Actually I'm curious about the cover too, because bed-bug covers are also dust-mite barriers, and I'm very allergic to dust-mites.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

We bought the cover too, waiting for it to show up.
--

And chiming in with the bedbug chat, they are definitely a concern. We had an epidemic here in Chicago, maybe five years ago. I avoided it, thankfully, but a lot of people- including the company I worked for at the time- got infested. Nasty old dirty city problems, I guess.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Do the purple or tuft and needle mattresses have any latex? I'm allergic as all hell and looking for a new mattress.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do the purple or tuft and needle mattresses have any latex? I'm allergic as all hell and looking for a new mattress.

No latex in purple. It uses hyper elastic polymer on the top layer, which means whatever that means. The pillow is made of the same stuff and they claim it has no latex in it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm also allergic and I have noticed while shopping that it varies greatly. Purple says they're 100% latex free, but others (like Ghostbed) use a massive amount of latex. Check before you buy.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I emailed Purple. They said their protector is not bed bug proof, but helps against most allergens (my main issue). However they recommend a mattress protector called "Sleep Tite" from another company as an alternative. I know that having dust mite proof protectors changed my allergy life.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hi, I sell beds now.

Ask questions and I'll answer as honestly as I can; if I don't answer a question, it's because I'm worried that my response could put my job in jeopardy. If any goons in the greater KC area are looking for beds, shoot me a PM and I'll try to offer direct advice.

Fair warning, I've never gotten a chance to tear any online only mattresses apart; I'm hella interested in Purple mattresses. They're so hush-hush on their proprietary polymer that it makes it impossible to compare against.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Synastren posted:

Fair warning, I've never gotten a chance to tear any online only mattresses apart; I'm hella interested in Purple mattresses. They're so hush-hush on their proprietary polymer that it makes it impossible to compare against.

You can get little samples of the material. When I pressed a hammer into it, it did this:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

signalnoise posted:

You can get little samples of the material. When I pressed a hammer into it, it did this:

My biggest problem with Purple is that their marketing is so brilliant that it is difficult to get any real, substantive information. Any of the traditional vendors we work with will supply us with intimate details regarding their beds' specs. Purple illustrates a nonsensical (but visually impressive) "egg test," for example. I'm actually trying to rationalize purchasing one of their chair cushions so I can get a large enough bit of their material that I can use it. I might also put it to some tests of my own devising, that I can do to floor models or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Synastren posted:

My biggest problem with Purple is that their marketing is so brilliant that it is difficult to get any real, substantive information. Any of the traditional vendors we work with will supply us with intimate details regarding their beds' specs. Purple illustrates a nonsensical (but visually impressive) "egg test," for example. I'm actually trying to rationalize purchasing one of their chair cushions so I can get a large enough bit of their material that I can use it. I might also put it to some tests of my own devising, that I can do to floor models or something.

Just buy a cushion or something from them if you wanna try out the material. The best way I can explain how it feels good is that while foam can support you well, and it compresses, it doesn't STRETCH. The effect of stretching cannot be overstated here. If you're a heavy person, or a side sleeper, or both, you need the bed to create basically a sharp dip in the surface. When you do this, it increases the surface area of the mattress. The purple material can be squished at much sharper angles than other mattresses, which allows you to be cradled for support, as the material presses against you over more area of your body. This reduces the maximum pressure exerted against your body, because you are spreading that pressure more evenly, against more surface area.

Make sense? It's fuckin great and it feels amazing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Purple is suing one of the mattress review blogs. Not a good look for them.

https://www.honestmattressreviews.com/purple-sues-honest-reviews/

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Synastren posted:

What would you consider an actual objective measurement of anything about beds? It seems like outside of the type of bed it is, there are very few things to actually compare them on. Everybody talks about amazing construction and space-age polymers and spring counts and all that bullshit, and then maybe there are some arbitrary ratings of firmness, but none of that seems particularly useful.

This leaves consumers with the option of either A) going to a physical mattress store or B) trusting online reviews. Both of these options suck.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

signalnoise posted:

Just buy a cushion or something from them if you wanna try out the material. The best way I can explain how it feels good is that while foam can support you well, and it compresses, it doesn't STRETCH. The effect of stretching cannot be overstated here. If you're a heavy person, or a side sleeper, or both, you need the bed to create basically a sharp dip in the surface. When you do this, it increases the surface area of the mattress. The purple material can be squished at much sharper angles than other mattresses, which allows you to be cradled for support, as the material presses against you over more area of your body. This reduces the maximum pressure exerted against your body, because you are spreading that pressure more evenly, against more surface area.

Make sense? It's fuckin great and it feels amazing.

That makes it sound as if they found an alternative way to get the same effects of really high end memory foam. That's very cool, and sounds promising. I would really be interested in hearing about the beds' longevity, as it's an entirely new material.

Imaduck posted:

What would you consider an actual objective measurement of anything about beds? It seems like outside of the type of bed it is, there are very few things to actually compare them on. Everybody talks about amazing construction and space-age polymers and spring counts and all that bullshit, and then maybe there are some arbitrary ratings of firmness, but none of that seems particularly useful.

This leaves consumers with the option of either A) going to a physical mattress store or B) trusting online reviews. Both of these options suck.

I'll be the first to admit my bias, given my job. However, if we're talking innersprings, knowing coil gauge, coil density, and number of turns in a coil should tell you everything you need to know about how firm or accommodating the metal layer of the bed is. Beautyrest has more turns in their coils than Serta, for example, so they tend to feel firmer in general. BR then has different coil gauges based on whether we're talking firm or plush beds. Finally, they have different coil counts based on the quality level of the bed in question (Recharge has fewer coils than World Class, for example).

Foams are much more complicated, as the manufacturers have many more proprietary materials than anywhere else. The go-to for foams would be density and cellular structure. The higher density, the firmer the foam. The larger the cellular structure, the more airflow and thus the more temperature-neutral the foam will be. High density + large structure foams are the most expensive because they are the most difficult to make. And then consider all of the add-ins (diamonds, metals, phase change material), and foam gets rapidly out of control.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah apparently there's a white powder that coats the inside that's a proprietary secret. I see "white powder coating" and I think of latex, but it's supposed to be some form of plastic.

This is what their website says:

Here are the details about the inert non-toxic plastic powder that we invented to solve our packaging conundrum:

It is NOT a talc powder. Talc is a mineral and our plastic powder contains no talc whatsoever, or any mineral for that matter.
It is chemically inactive, AKA an inert substance.
It is a food-contact-grade material, meaning that this family of plastic materials can be used for eating utensils, children’s toys, etc.
It is 100% non-toxic and is completely harmless.
You can think of it being as safe as eating with a plastic fork, so you can rest easy on our bed! In fact, it may be even safer—no Purple product ever stabbed anyone in the lip!

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 26, 2017

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Synastren posted:

I'll be the first to admit my bias, given my job. However, if we're talking innersprings, knowing coil gauge, coil density, and number of turns in a coil should tell you everything you need to know about how firm or accommodating the metal layer of the bed is. Beautyrest has more turns in their coils than Serta, for example, so they tend to feel firmer in general. BR then has different coil gauges based on whether we're talking firm or plush beds. Finally, they have different coil counts based on the quality level of the bed in question (Recharge has fewer coils than World Class, for example).
Yeah, this is actually interesting. I agree that all of that information should tell you pretty much every thing there is to know about the spring. I guess I never really see all of those details provided, and I've never really seen a good website that summarizes how to interpret those anyway. You usually just see one or two numbers, along with some repeated assurances that whatever the manufacturer's special thing is, in fact, the most important thing about a mattress.

quote:

Foams are much more complicated, as the manufacturers have many more proprietary materials than anywhere else. The go-to for foams would be density and cellular structure. The higher density, the firmer the foam. The larger the cellular structure, the more airflow and thus the more temperature-neutral the foam will be. High density + large structure foams are the most expensive because they are the most difficult to make. And then consider all of the add-ins (diamonds, metals, phase change material), and foam gets rapidly out of control.
Yeah, I'd love to see someone quantify this kind of stuff. It seems like you could come up with some pretty objective measurements of heat dissipation and like, how far you sink into a bed and whatnot, but I've only found really unreliable information in this vein.

Everybody keeps raving about Purple though, and it seems to check all of my boxes, so I'll probably just end up getting that :P.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

This seems like a dumb Streisand-effect mistake. I mean a food-grade white powder is going to just be corn starch 100% of the time, right?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Synastren posted:

That makes it sound as if they found an alternative way to get the same effects of really high end memory foam. That's very cool, and sounds promising. I would really be interested in hearing about the beds' longevity, as it's an entirely new material.

It's insanely good. I sleep completely still now and between the sheets and the materials of the mattress it sleeps ridiculously cool, so I don't wake up during the night. I'm currently a pretty big Purple fan.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Unload My Head posted:

This seems like a dumb Streisand-effect mistake. I mean a food-grade white powder is going to just be corn starch 100% of the time, right?

Except they say it's plastic.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Unload My Head posted:

Well not to mention the fact that since they're bringing claims of libel, to which truth is an absolute defense, it opens up the formulation of the white powder to the legal discovery process; so by bringing suit Purple will be forced to disclose exactly what they wanted to keep secret and I guarantee there's no studies anywhere to back up their claim that their inhalable plastic powder is "100% safe".

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 26, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sorry but any site that pushes notifications can go gently caress itself and anything of worth it has to say.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I honestly don't care if this poo poo makes me die faster.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hell, I welcome death.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Shooting Blanks posted:

"As the son of a decorated deceased Vietnam Veteran," *emphasis his

gently caress this guy and his stock photos of the American flag and mouths with tape over them w/ FREEDOM written across it.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 27, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Scudworth posted:

" As the son of a decorated deceased Vietnam Veteran, "

gently caress this guy and his stock photos of the American flag and mouths with tape over them w/ FREEDOM written across it.

As the son of a decorated deceased Vietnam Veteran, I launched Honest Reviews Platform around one core question,"What's best for consumers?"

What the gently caress does that have to do with that

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Look, his father didn't go lose a useless war to secure America's paranoia about the spread of the commie menace so that good hard working people could sleep on uncomfy mattresses or secret toxic powder beds okay. Freedom isn't free.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

His father slept with his rear end on that uncomfortable hunk of mattress for two years.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pilsner posted:

His father slept with his rear end on that uncomfortable hunk of mattress for two years.

Two long years, he slept with his rear end on that mattress. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the mattress. I slept on that uncomfortable hunk of mattress, on my rear end, for two years. Then, after four years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give this mattress to you. 

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
What's a good temporary sleeping arrangement? I don't want to sleep in the floor for the next 2-3 weeks, but I also don't want to blow $100 on a futon and never use it again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

get a purple or tuft & needle mattress 2 day shipped and use it on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

shame on an IGA posted:

get a purple or tuft & needle mattress 2 day shipped and use it on the floor

I've tried a TN mattress recently; I was not impressed. I can't weigh in on Purple, but that lawsuit is likely to bring some poo poo down on the company hard due to byproducts of its manufacture.

My on-the-floor solution was a foam topper instead of an air mattress when my parents-in-law visited last holiday season. :shrug: