Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I felt like The Leftovers was over-hyped, at least for me. It's not bad, but I didn't feel like it was nearly as interesting as its premise. To anyone going into it I would say lowering expectations would give you a better viewing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe this episode that featured Bruce Campbell as a demonic insurance salesman was so middle of the road.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm pretty sure The Leftovers will give a definitive answer to where everyone went before this season ends.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Why would they? That would be dumb.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope it ends with another departure event. Though I'd be fine if there wasn't one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Leftovers S2 is some fuckin S-tier television and 3 is so far keeping up with it.

It's one of the most confident shows I've ever seen, I think. Every scene feels like it has huge weight to it and the performances are incredible. Seriously, I forget her name (e: Ann Dowd), but the woman who played Patti deserved the best actress win for that year. (e: she wasn't even fuckin nominated)

S1's problem for me was mainly that it was so dour and aggressive, which fit the show but was often annoying to watch. Luckily, from S2 and on it also has moments where it is genuinely one of the funniest shows on TV - see the whole Perfect Strangers bit.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 26, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

IRQ posted:

The Leftovers' was insultingly stupid and I never got to the part where it apparently became good.

I know people are entitled to their own opinions but that is like the Olympics of bad opinions.

Just because you dislike a show doesn't mean it's bad. Calling a critically acclaimed, highly rated show "insultingly stupid" just makes you seem oddly aggressive in justifying your dislike of it. I didn't click with Fargo but I would never in a million years call it bad because of that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I know people are entitled to their own opinions but that is like the Olympics of bad opinions.

Just because you dislike a show doesn't mean it's bad. Calling a critically acclaimed, highly rated show "insultingly stupid" just makes you seem oddly aggressive in justifying your dislike of it. I didn't click with Fargo but I would never in a million years call it bad because of that.

Season 1 was not critically acclaimed.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've read in a couple places that the show accurately depicts people dealing with grief. Maybe I've been lucky in my life but I found all the characters' behaviour in the first season to be awfully sanctimonious, especially those smug loving Guilty Remnant asses. I genuinely don't understand how they aren't just lynched. I liked the second season a good deal more but didn't finish it either. I plan on trying again once the whole series is over, as I've consistently heard such good things (and do like Christopher Eccleston and the firefighter from season 2).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

Season 1 was not critically acclaimed.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_leftovers/s01/

There's "I know what the critics said but I saw a very different show," and then there's denying reality.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A 7.67 is a C.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

A 7.67 is a C.

That's a mean rating that you can get if there are a bunch of tens and a few ones, that's why Rotten Tomatoes emphasizes the positive:negative ratio. Don't get me wrong, I think using RT as a mark of objective quality is a HUGE mistake, but if we're just talking about "what did a group of people who are mostly paid to do this poo poo think," then it's a valid reference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got into The Leftovers and I was reading the S1 thread. It's kind of funny seeing people bitch about plot threads being left hanging and perpetually unanswered two episodes in, when all those threads ended up having some great payoff later in the season.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hakkesshu posted:

Leftovers S2 is some fuckin S-tier television and 3 is so far keeping up with it.

It's one of the most confident shows I've ever seen, I think. Every scene feels like it has huge weight to it and the performances are incredible. Seriously, I forget her name (e: Ann Dowd), but the woman who played Patti deserved the best actress win for that year. (e: she wasn't even fuckin nominated)

S1's problem for me was mainly that it was so dour and aggressive, which fit the show but was often annoying to watch. Luckily, from S2 and on it also has moments where it is genuinely one of the funniest shows on TV - see the whole Perfect Strangers bit.

I believe that was famous character actress and wanted felon, Margo Martindale

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No it was another fat white actress.

IMO the Guilty Remnant people are annoying as hell and is the main reason why I think season 1 is the worst so far. You know how in the anime Akira like 20 minutes of screentime is just people staring at stuff with their mouths open and not saying anything? That's what the GR are like. They mostly get rid of them in subsequent seasons.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 26, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh no Jonathan Demme died.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jonathan-demme-dead-silence-lambs-director-was-73-997623

The last thing I saw was Rachel Getting Married like 9 years ago but he was still good. Looks like he still has stuff in the pipeline. He directed an episode for some Veena Sud (ugh) show on Netflix and a show for Fox called Shots Fired.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 26, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Philadelphia was a good rear end movie. :rip:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

They're out of the prison now, heist-ish part is over, they're gonna have to do a heck of a lot next week to keep me watching.

I was actually an episode behind when I posted that, but I think that's good.

The prison breakout part of prison break is dependent on good characters and good episode hooks, which this had neither of.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Handmaids Tail is an incredible show but it is really really dark which is the point but it is not a binge show at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
This thread valid for Netflix shows? If so, this new Bill Nye show... What the gently caress?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is it real bad? That's too bad :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My nephew is 10 and he loves it. I haven't checked it out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's some valid content in there, but the presentation is stupid. He's/they're trying really hard to be edgy and hip.

--edit: ^^^ I guess they're trying to reach that age group then. But I find it really grating.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it that cringe inducing or is old men shouting at the moon?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's some valid content in there, but the presentation is stupid. He's/they're trying really hard to be edgy and hip.

--edit: ^^^ I guess they're trying to reach that age group then. But I find it really grating.

Him fist bumping all the guests is just... it's all so forced.

Like I admire what he's doing, but it's clearly aimed at kids and I guess adults are watching it out of nostalgia.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Is it that cringe inducing or is old men shouting at the moon?

Both.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe, just bear with me here lads, maybe the target demo for Bill Nye's show isn't anyone over the age of 12. Maybe.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh no Jonathan Demme died.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jonathan-demme-dead-silence-lambs-director-was-73-997623

The last thing I saw was Rachel Getting Married like 9 years ago but he was still good. Looks like he still has stuff in the pipeline. He directed an episode for some Veena Sud (ugh) show on Netflix and a show for Fox called Shots Fired.

He worked on the two good seasons though?

Season 3 of The Killing is really, really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Maybe, just bear with me here lads, maybe the target demo for Bill Nye's show isn't anyone over the age of 12. Maybe.

He starts the first episode by saying it's for adults.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

precision posted:

Do not listen to these people, Preacher is fantastic start to finish (just watched the finale HOLLLYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIT)

If you skip the first season you'd miss out on not one, but two of the best gay couples in recent TV memory.

And also Jackie Earl Haley loving killing

Yeah have no memory of those couples. That show just passed by like gas, which is ironic considering.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
His target audience is dumb adults. Smart adults don't need Bill Nye to convince them about climate change.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Alright what is this show? Wikipedia says it's a drama. Everyone's raving about it, but it feels like there are already at least a half dozen shows that have the same premise of a mysterious rapture-like event, and I didn't want to get into a dead-end LOST-style show. Hearing that it has a definitive end-point and seeing the Perfect Strangers opening and giant inflatable Gary Busey are making me curious though. Is it good, or another hate watch TV IV favorite?

Start with the first ep of the second season. The first has alot of eye-rollingly bad decisions (being shot by prostitutes while wearing armor). It's a smoothly dependably well acted drama focusing on a single theme of loss and regret. The writing is pretty good and the actors are great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

He starts the first episode by saying it's for adults.

Seriously? I'll check it out then. I like the guy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Yeah have no memory of those couples. That show just passed by like gas, which is ironic considering.

You don't remember the angels or the mascots?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

You don't remember the angels or the mascots?

A surprising number of people didn't pick up that either of those couples were actually couples.

Actually, I take it back. It's unfortunately typical, but it really shouldn't be.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shageletic posted:

drama focusing on a single theme of loss and regret.

This is grossly reductive and inaccurate

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

A surprising number of people didn't pick up that either of those couples were actually couples.

Actually, I take it back. It's unfortunately typical, but it really shouldn't be.

The mascots one was very subtle and even I missed it until the last shot of them together, but the angels literally have a conversation where one of their primary worries when considering what to do about a universe-ending power being loose is "they'll split us up" and at another point one calls the other "darling". Like it was subtle in the first half of the season I guess but by the second half it's completely blatant and even if the theory about them turns out wrong (though it's such a good theory because it explains so much) it was one of my favorite things going on.

And I always love how ridiculously Joe Gilgnun flaunts the "actors shouldn't get tattoos" rule.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snak posted:

His target audience is dumb adults. Smart adults don't need Bill Nye to convince them about climate change.

Which is super ironic because his condescending angry ranting style is right out of the South Park smug liberal douche playbook. If he was preaching to the choir any harder people in the audience would be collapsing in the aisles speaking in tongues.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Which is super ironic because his condescending angry ranting style is right out of the South Park smug liberal douche playbook. If he was preaching to the choir any harder people in the audience would be collapsing in the aisles speaking in tongues.

Maybe not specifically dumb adults. Uninformed adults. He's preaching to people who agree with him but can't articulate why.

edit: v I just meant the target audience for his netflix show.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bill Nye shows up on Fox News more than anywhere else.

• Locked thread