Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There was an infrequent crash-to-menu when using the 0.14 version of Side Inserters in 0.15 and the Shift+R keybind, I believe from cumulative rounding errors (although they shouldn't be happening). I haven't been able to trigger it using Control+R in the latest version.

Please let me know if it happens to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Having blueprints from the start is amazing. Makes everything a ton easier to plan.

And since they carry over between games you can go into Sandbox and plan/test your modular factories and then just export the blueprints to your real games.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Trains map settings is interesting, specifically in the setting that biters don't settle new bases. This means they don't fill in the empty space on the map parts you've generated but not explored, so there's a lot less of them around.

They're also harder to pollute. I was setting up purple science by the time I got my second attack. I might increase the pollution spread next time I use that map preset.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I play with train map settings but re-enable biter expansion, I feel it could get a bit too easy otherwise.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I left biter expansion off because ultimately what kills most of my factories is boredom from no longer wanting to clear out the biters to expand.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My factories eventually turn into fortresses that would put the Maginot Line to shame.

Unlike the germans, biters aren't smart enough to just walk around it

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Collateral Damage posted:

My factories eventually turn into fortresses that would put the Maginot Line to shame.

It's not a proper Isengard without very angry Ents. :colbert:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kenlon posted:

It's not a proper Isengard without very angry Ents. :colbert:

Huh. You know, a mod to replace biters with Ents sounds pretty great.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If anything deserves to hate me in Factorio it's the trees.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Fans posted:

If anything deserves to hate me in Factorio it's the trees.

yeah

I don't mind trees once I have a way to clear them but in the early game they're a huge pain in the rear end

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chainsaw mod.

*brrmbrrmbrrrm*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

splifyphus posted:

The dumbest thing about Factorio is the singular player character. No single person could automate everything, although a man can dream. Long reach not only saves you shitloads of time, it simulates the missing collective.

An aesthetic objection to a mod that makes building factories 3-4x faster is inefficient, fellow automator.
The collective is the robots. Your only and bestest friends.

e. I'm just an ideas guy but is it possible to make a mod where you pheromone bomb biters and they become your logistics friends with robot behaviors?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Having blueprints from the start is amazing. Makes everything a ton easier to plan.

And since they carry over between games you can go into Sandbox and plan/test your modular factories and then just export the blueprints to your real games.

Can you actually remove blueprints from your book at all, without shoving them in a wooden box and blowing them up? I took a few from the blueprint book, but can't seem to nuke them from my inventory. Which isn't the end of the world, but it's still annoying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The main reason to get to the atomic bomb is to blow up poo poo tons of trees, can't wait!

Also Mangled Pork was saying you don't need oil anymore in .15, true?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lorini posted:

The main reason to get to the atomic bomb is to blow up poo poo tons of trees, can't wait!

Also Mangled Pork was saying you don't need oil anymore in .15, true?

Once you have a little bit of heavy oil, the coal liquefaction recipe, which produces more heavy oil than it consumes, should let you avoid dealing with crude oil for as long as your coal reserves hold out. With the liquid quantities all multiplied by 10 compared to version 0.14, though, it seems pretty coal-intensive.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 26, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the other hand plastic requires 1/3 less petroleum than before, and considering that something like 95% of your oil needs are for plastic production that's going to be pretty significant.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What does the 'all liquid quantities increased by 10' patch note apply to? Just oil wells? Is that in addition to the richness/other changes?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everything was multiplied by 10, it's just to remove fractional liquid amounts since nothing else in the game had fractional units.

So instead of having 5.4 units of oil in a pipe and needing 10 you have 54 units of oil and need 100.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Got a starter-level red/green factory up and running. I know it's no where near optimized or anything but it's a super cheap blueprint I make create early on with a minimum amount of preliminary research. Before I tear it apart and put it back together again multiple times in frustration, whats a good ratio to aim for when making red/green?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Same as the ratio for the time made to make the packs; 5 red and 6 green. If you can feed the number of assemblers that the time the recipe takes to craft, you should be able to keep 10 labs going. Supposedly.

Always better to make more though. :spergin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I normally build 5:4:2 to feed 8-10 labs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I build a whole bunch of everything and don't really count it out. If your belts aren't saturated you aren't producing enough, no exceptions :colbert:

It also helps that when I do science, I always make sure I do it in such a way that I can easily plop down more factories with a minimal amount of work, so really there's no reason not to go wild.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Renegret posted:

yeah

I don't mind trees once I have a way to clear them but in the early game they're a huge pain in the rear end

Funny you say that, the new version has you automating grenades pretty early...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jabor posted:

Heck yeah

I haven't gotten very far in my newest factory. Got steel set up and went to bed. I was planning on doing oil next but it looks like I might have to take same detours first.

I'm basically flying by the seat of my pants and my main bus is turning out to be a complete mess. I should've just went spaghetti from the get go. I don't remember the recipe for grenades off the top of my head but I know coal isn't anywhere near my bus.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

I build a whole bunch of everything and don't really count it out. If your belts aren't saturated you aren't producing enough, no exceptions :colbert:

This is how I feel, but I am hooked on always having basic materials on a belt when needed. I am cool with my science assemblers just holding beakers. :respek:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Thanks for all the feedback. I left some of room to just slap on more assemblers when needed. First step is finding a smooth running ratio and I have a good starting point now.

It is deliberately restricted on its max capacity because it is just an early game research facility. After I move on to blue+ it'll probably be torn up and rebuilt.

REALLY love the blueprints always available thing. If I ever want a new start not on Goon Island it'll be easier than ever.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can never produce too many iron plates, green circuits or plastic bars.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Retro42 posted:

Got a starter-level red/green factory up and running. I know it's no where near optimized or anything but it's a super cheap blueprint I make create early on with a minimum amount of preliminary research. Before I tear it apart and put it back together again multiple times in frustration, whats a good ratio to aim for when making red/green?

The ratios for red/green science are pretty simple.

Aiming for two packs a second:

Green takes 6 seconds, red takes 5, so we need 10 red and 12 green.

Red is consuming 2 gear wheels a second, and gear wheels take .5 seconds, so we need one gear wheel factory for our 10 red factories.

Similarly, we need one factory for belts and inserters to meet the demand of 12 green factories.
Belts and inserters both need 2 gear wheels a second, so green needs two gear wheel factories.
Inserters need 2 green chips a second, which is supplied by a single green chip factory.

Green chips are a little tricky and require a ratio of 3 wire factories to 2 green chip factories. I normally bus in green chips from a larger green chip factory, or you can just have two wire factories on site.

So, 10 red with 1 gear, and 12 green with 1 inserter, 1 belt, 2 gear, 1 chip and 2 wire.

e: here's what my science looks like just after adding green

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You can never produce too many iron plates, green circuits or plastic bars.

Also copper wire. Dear god, so much copper wire.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
In an old megafactory i had, i ended up building a 100x100 area of storage chests. I filled the entire area up with plates and wire.

It lasted me a couple of hours when I actually started using the logistics network properly. You really blow through that stuff.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I like to make my belts do a loop around my science labs because it looks nifty.

When I build a lot of labs I make the belts do a figure 8 because it looks doubly cool but I'm going to have to get creative with the new science :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dogstile posted:

In an old megafactory i had, i ended up building a 100x100 area of storage chests. I filled the entire area up with plates and wire.
I recommend the Warehousing mod. It gives you buildings that are basically 3x3 and 6x6 mega-chests. They store the exact same amount of stuff as 9 and 36 steel chests would, respectively.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The new science requirements are really giving me fits, as my old way of building my primary factory doesn't really work now with the addition of military flasks and the changed up blue flask. I've kind of stalled here, trying to make the jump to blue science and oil processing so I'm probably going to demolish this and try a de-centralized build; transporting final goods in from satellite assembly facilities.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 26, 2017

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Jabor posted:

Take this hint, people. Don't be like me and chop down a sea of trees by hand, burning god knows how many picks, because you didn't make the connection of "Boomy-Booms make Green Tide go Bye Bye." :doh:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NeuralSpark posted:

The new science requirements are really giving me fits, as my old way of building my primary factory doesn't really work now with the addition of military flasks and the changed up blue flask. I've kind of stalled here, trying to make the jump to blue science and oil processing so I'm probably going to demolish this and try a de-centralized build; transporting final goods in from satellite assembly facilities.

That starting area though!

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Had I known grenades took down trees, I wouldn't have scripted them out and given myself 100 wood at the start before I got metal poles.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

That starting area though!

It's my hand-edited no-effort sandbox starting area, I was planning on loving around with the new speakers ala the Still Alive link posted earlier. :blush:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Factorio: the only acceptable ratio is More

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NeuralSpark posted:

It's my hand-edited no-effort sandbox starting area, I was planning on loving around with the new speakers ala the Still Alive link posted earlier. :blush:

I thought it was either that or a shared string :D

I spent at least an hour trying to find one I was happy with last night, and still ended up with a deadend where I was planning to build my bus. I miss the intial scan mod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hagop posted:

Factorio: the only acceptable ratio is More

mods plz