Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sonic Advance 1 was pretty good too. It had fairly normal Sonic level design when Advance 2 largely wanted you to go fast all the time and you fell into instant death pits because you couldn't see what was ahead of you, or Advance 3 where the levels were worse than Sonic CD levels of labyrinthine.

But yeah, really not digging Sonic Forces so far. For one, I'm loving tired of seeing Green Hill Zone for the millionth time even if it is being transformed into something else, for two the physics just don't look right in a way I can't put my finger on but it's certainly a regression from the Classic Sonic gameplay of Generations which itself wasn't quite perfect but close enough, the music sounds awful to the point I'm hoping it's a placeholder and just visually it looks really ugly and too busy. It looks worse than Generations did. The level design doesn't even look good either, I'm noticing a lot of boosters before loops and such which ties into the physics problem in that it seems like a band aid solution in the hopes nobody will notice that the momentum is off because you're being artifically boosted through them.

Considering this game was delayed for so long to make sure it's a good Sonic game, so far I am not impressed one bit. Maybe Modern Sonic and the new third gameplay style can salvage it but given what we've seen, I'm not optimistic

For physics at least for me is when sonic is destroying robots it looks way off. He's not bouncing off most of them just going right through them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Considering this game was delayed for so long to make sure it's a good Sonic game, so far I am not impressed one bit.

I don't normally buy into conspiracy theory stuff, but I find it extremely hard to believe from what we've seen that this is a game that's been worked on consistently for 4 years. They said they started production right after Lost World, but things seemed to have been taken right out of Generations almost lazily. The effects and animations don't look very good, and nothing really stands out as special. All the mainline games in the past 10 years have taken 2 years to develop and each definitely looked a lot better in their initial showing (Generations took 3 years tho).

If I were betting money I'd put some down on them scrapping ideas after Lost World's tepid response, and then trying to scrounge together something like Generations since that's mostly what people talk about liking these days.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know people often forget this, but in the old Sonic games, you're not in "gotta go fast" mode all the time and there's actually platforming and stuff. Going fast is basically a reward for playing the level right.

No one is forgetting the old games, tons of people keep complaining about this all the time.

"reward for playing the level right" is pretty much the exact same thing as "know the level in advance". There are tons of speed traps in the old games (especially CD), and you sure as hell won't be going fast in say Spring Yard or Hill Top or Launch base unless you play those levels a lot.

Advance 2 and the Rush games may have branched out in execution through different mechanics and level designs, but they largely kept the same core philosophy. You can dislike that execution sure, but let's not make any mistakes about what the original games themselves were on that broad scale.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That level looks like it plays like trash visuals aside. Like it's a drastic step down from Generations, it's lacking enemies in it and it just feels flat to me. Just a handful of randomly placed springs and boosters and that's it.

Eesh.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I think I only liked Sonic Advance 1 because it was the first 2D Sonic platformer in years after Knuckles Chaotix in 1995.

I mean, there was also Sonic Blast on Game Gear if you were really desperate, and I guess if you had a Neo Geo Pocket Color you could play Sonic Pocket Adventure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ventana posted:

I don't normally buy into conspiracy theory stuff, but I find it extremely hard to believe from what we've seen that this is a game that's been worked on consistently for 4 years. They said they started production right after Lost World, but things seemed to have been taken right out of Generations almost lazily.

Keep in mind that there's a lot to production that isn't actually programming the game, so the game could absolutely have been "in production" for years and it wouldn't necessarily tell us anything.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

http://youtubedoubler.com/kUl8

Guess which the brand new game is and which is the one that came out 6 years ago

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Frankston posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/kUl8

Guess which the brand new game is and which is the one that came out 6 years ago

Keep on reinventing that wheel, guys!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Reducing the visual impact of the game lets it run better. I'd rather it run at 60fps on the Switch and look like Forces than look like Generations and run at 30.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Reducing the visual impact of the game lets it run better. I'd rather it run at 60fps on the Switch and look like Forces than look like Generations and run at 30.

Thank you Nintendo for holding us back on both. Thank The Master Emerald for PC.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is the game confirmed for 60 fps on all consoles? I just assumed it would be 30 on consoles and 60 on PC (and maybe PS4 pro) like several games have been lately.

Schwarzwald posted:

Keep in mind that there's a lot to production that isn't actually programming the game, so the game could absolutely have been "in production" for years and it wouldn't necessarily tell us anything.

But that's what I meant in the other part I said. It's extremely weird that they seemed to double down on doing something fresh for Lost World, then take a long time to step right back into another Generations (that looks worse). Typically dev cycles involve starting up the next project during the end of the previous project, so if they really did decide at the last minute of Lost World to go back to Classic+Modern Sonic how did it take so long when this looks worse/low effort?

I mean maybe later on the game gets crazy and different, and there's another character or some such so we don't know everything. It's just weird for them to say "Yeah we spent a lot of time on this!" and then show footage and things that look the exact opposite of that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Looking at the side by side, it looks like the lighting engine isn't done and the background is just missing an entire layer and man that is just so weird.

Maybe we're just on the cycle and that's our lot here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ventana posted:

But that's what I meant in the other part I said. It's extremely weird that they seemed to double down on doing something fresh for Lost World, then take a long time to step right back into another Generations (that looks worse). Typically dev cycles involve starting up the next project during the end of the previous project, so if they really did decide at the last minute of Lost World to go back to Classic+Modern Sonic how did it take so long when this looks worse/low effort?

Even the process of making that decision still counts as "production." If Sega did nothing but hem and haw over that for four years, then Sonic Forces would still have technically been in production for four years.

As for why this looks worse, I'd bet the release of the Switch played havoc with their plans and the really inconsistent (and less impressive) play videos are a result of them trying to adapt what they've already produced to the new architecture.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The switch reveal of the 2D Segment doesn't have the grass effects from this video (which Sega of Europe and America released), is missing a whole layer of background and some of it is also rearranged. So there's something there.

I think, visually, it looks pretty great, I hope the grass gets to stay. Level design is what needs tweaking, there just seems to be less platforming than Generations. I'd also really like to see someone play this level for their fifth time, it seems like there's a ton of speedtraps you can easily avoid to keep your momentum, with the odd twist being that these traps exist to keep you moving when you fail them (i.e. loads of springs just before a raised platform so you don't crash to a stop and instead just get bounced up high)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

So placeholdery Tomoya Ohtani confirmed it was his on Twitter.
Which is baffling, since he's usually pretty good.

What the actual gently caress.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, there's a solid tune in there. It just sounds like some rando's ill-conceived Genesis remix of the real track. I am REALLY hoping that that's the case.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 27, 2017

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all, it was a nice cool night here in Philly last night guys so I went for a little late night drive to clear my head about my earlier reservations over Sonic Forces and you know what conclusion I came to, gang? It's very simple..."If he's strong...he can fly,,,he can reach the other side...of the rainbow." and I felt much better.

Think about this next time you are struggling and need to confront your own weakness, cause there aint no circumstance that you can't handle...

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's definitely going to be fine. I don't think anyone who enjoyed Generations won't enjoy it, unless the third character is something monstrously stupid that eats up tons of development or they make a bunch of lovely planet wisp levels. Was there anyone who liked Generations who didn't hope they'd add DLC levels, wanted to play more, etc?

Also: Desertified GHZ is a tremendously dumb level to preview 2d Sonic on, but I bet we'll feel a lot more confident once they show a new zone with Classic Sonic bouncing around. (Watch as all the classic levels are desertified S1 levels, including a bone dry Labyrinth zone and a rusting Scrap Brain Zone)

As an aside I always, always forget act 3 of Scrap Brain is that loving retread of Labyrinth. I seriously don't remember that from my childhood, I don't understand how I can remember the boss but not the third act.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 30, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is me watching any video for any new sonic game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWu4V56q10

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiderdrake posted:

Also: Desertified GHZ is a tremendously dumb level to preview 2d Sonic on, but I bet we'll feel a lot more confident once they show a new zone with Classic Sonic bouncing around. (Watch as all the classic levels are desertified S1 levels, including a bone dry Labyrinth zone and a rusting Scrap Brain Zone)
Sonic CD but it's always Bad Future.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't see how a non-desert level will suddenly make Classic Sonic's movement look less like dogshit. Pretty sure they just copies Classic Sonic from Generations. Classic Sonic in Generations was bad.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 30, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I don't see how a non-desert level will suddenly make Classic Sonic's movement look less like dogshit. Pretty sure they just copies Classic Sonic from Generations. Classic Sonic in Generations was bad.

wrong

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

I agree. Classic Sonic controlled bad enough that it made his inclusion worthless to me. The Modern Sonic levels were much more interesting in Generations and I say that as someone that doesn't like 3D Sonic that much.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I liked Classic Sonic City Escape with the rad skateboards

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

Can we get past Green Hill already? It's iconic, but let Emerald Hill or something have a shot.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

imagine that while sonic is in the alternate reality his chao(at this point named chronic) locks himself in a energy orb out of depression. Imagine tails trying to bring sonic back to the prime reality.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That new GHZ just seems dull to me and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I'm tired of Green Hill Zone but it just seems kind of sparse and bland compared to how lush and vibrant the generations version was. Even compared to Mania.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

https://twitter.com/NicoCVV/status/858866192760676352

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Am I supposed to think that Sonic Forces Green Hill footage looks bad or something because it it absolutely doesn't

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Amazing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Macaluso posted:

Am I supposed to think that Sonic Forces Green Hill footage looks bad or something because it it absolutely doesn't

it looks pretty mediocre compared to the same zone in the previous game

doesnt look terrible, but if green hill is that underwhelming it doesnt look great for the game as a whole

mostly the music sucks

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The music to Sonic Generations is what inspired me to buy it. The music in Sonic Forces will inspire me to not buy it.

Sonic Mania doesn't look good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Mania does look pretty good though.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Mania doesn't look good.

A month.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That new GHZ just seems dull to me and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I'm tired of Green Hill Zone but it just seems kind of sparse and bland compared to how lush and vibrant the generations version was. Even compared to Mania.
I don't have an art degree so anyone more educated forgive me for my fumbling attempts to articulate this, but beyond being a rehash of an overused zone that isn't even from the 16-bit games most people say are their favorite, the idea of taking a color palette of blue-brown-green and blowing out the sparkling blue for light brown just sounds like a recipe for reducing the "pop" of the scheme into a samey blur. Add that to meh music and art assets we can directly contrast with and man, their marketing here is just not great.

Meanwhile Studiopolis highlighted everything we wanted to see: Creativity, great music and a great handle on Sonic nostalgia.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

MikeJF posted:

A month.

Yeah, I changed my mind, because I realized it's going to be a mediocre "retro" game attempting to draw on the nostalgia of Sonic 3 and Knuckles instead of being a good game on its own.

The Sonic Cycle is back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good username/post combo

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

It took me until just now to realize it was a desert level. I thought there were missing textures.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
https://twitter.com/Chibuyum/status/858697776628191232

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sonic mania is gonna be the darn best and if you don't think it's the tightest then you can sit on it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe there are people who don't have faith in my good friend and pal Sonic the Hedgehog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, I changed my mind, because I realized it's going to be a mediocre "retro" game attempting to draw on the nostalgia of Sonic 3 and Knuckles instead of being a good game on its own.

The Sonic Cycle is back.

Thing is, part of that nostalgia is for "2D physics that feel good", which Sonic hasn't had for over 20 years (not counting Rush, I haven't played enough of those).