Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
If NBC gets them and Emrick starts doing college hockey games I'm gonna blow my fuckin brains out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Among the latest casualties

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/857261094561341440

And

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/857274506368483330

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is ESPN actually hurting for money or is some suit at Disney overreacting to pulling in only 499 million in revenue instead of 500 million?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is ESPN actually hurting for money or is some suit at Disney overreacting to pulling in only 499 million in revenue instead of 500 million?

I don't know how accurate it is but basic math in this Deadspin article estimates that they are pulling in like $800m less money from subscription fees than just like 3 years ago.

http://deadspin.com/espn-is-hemorrhaging-subscribers-and-pretending-it-does-1788618362

Anything that is owned by Disney likely isn't hurting for actual money but it is probably becoming a massive drag on their earning report stuff.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They're losing subscribers by the million due to cord cutting, which is where most of their revenue comes from. Basically they're in a position where the on-air contracts that were doled out in the last decade are no longer sustainable. On the other side, they have to pay for broadcast rights for NFL, NBA, etc. They'll cut everybody before they lose those.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, the funny thing is Disney seems to be doing fine if you subtract ESPN

This one's brutal

https://twitter.com/janesports/status/857272911450836993
https://twitter.com/janesports/status/857274615655215104
https://twitter.com/janesports/status/857278579385806848
https://twitter.com/janesports/status/857280073552015360
https://twitter.com/janesports/status/857280296965861377

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Disney has all of that Star Wars IP now, they can coast for the next decade or three and be just fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

more 4k content on DirecTV this week

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the only sad part of Danny Kanell getting laid off is that he'll definitely land on his feet because his war on football horseshit is perfect for FS1

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Didn't see this one coming

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/857285136357900288

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

How about this one

https://twitter.com/TDESPN/status/857286119171342336

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh goddamnit. He's a local guy, too. I met him at a book signing several years back and he couldn't have been nicer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shyduck posted:

Disney has all of that Star Wars IP now, they can coast for the next decade or three and be just fine.

They had the top 5 grossing movies last year, the lowest of which pulled in almost a billion in theatres.

They'll likely do it again this year, this is just Disney culling a weaker performing division due to the number of people dumping cable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ESPN is the one division of Disney that's hemorrhaging money. John Skipper was told in the summer of 2015 that he had two years to cut $350 million in costs, and the decision to start axing on-air talent suggests that further cuts were ordered.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

They are really cleaning house

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God, Bob Ley is a loving treasure :unsmith:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Timby posted:

ESPN is the one division of Disney that's hemorrhaging money. John Skipper was told in the summer of 2015 that he had two years to cut $350 million in costs, and the decision to start axing on-air talent suggests that further cuts were ordered.

I work for Disney and have to deal with ESPN/broadcast assets and can tell you that the most of the company is under a hiring freeze for non-essential staff. ESPN is doing poorly and paying contracts out the rear end, and ABC television is getting destroyed ratings-wise. Iger getting extended again (which is a good thing imo) means executive-level heads may roll soon too.

edit: also, this sucks rear end. There is not a big market for these kind of skills, what a tough break.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jay Crawford got axed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jay Carney posted:

I work for Disney and have to deal with ESPN/broadcast assets and can tell you that the most of the company is under a hiring freeze for non-essential staff. ESPN is doing poorly and paying contracts out the rear end, and ABC television is getting destroyed ratings-wise. Iger getting extended again (which is a good thing imo) means executive-level heads may roll soon too.

edit: also, this sucks rear end. There is not a big market for these kind of skills, what a tough break.

A client of mine was let go by ESPN about a year ago when the first round of cuts came though and he echoed your sentiments. It's got to be a huge mess right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is this karma for unleashing tv poker on the world?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jay Carney posted:

Iger getting extended again (which is a good thing imo) means executive-level heads may roll soon too.

Agreed about Iger (which is kind of funny, since Eisner hated him, and I'm glad he was extended because his wife was pushing him to retire to spend time at home), but I wouldn't be shocked if Skipper is asked to defend the like $200 million spent to build ESPN's Los Angeles studio.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Don't spend 2 billion dollars to show bad NFL games

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
At least Le Batard, Stugotz and Papi seem safe. Basically you are better off working in Miami where they forget about you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ethan Strauss got dumped in the middle of the playoffs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Winkie01 posted:

At least Le Batard, Stugotz and Papi seem safe. Basically you are better off working in Miami where they forget about you.

I think they'll be safe for a while. The Miami folk take up so many hours of programming and from what I've heard are doing better and better ratings/podcast wise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Winkie01 posted:

They are in the main radio time slot, if they were gone that would be a bad sign

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Is this karma for unleashing tv poker on the world?

Harlock posted:

It's both cord-cutting and this. They paid waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much for Monday Night Football

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Harlock posted:

Don't hesitate when flex-scheduled Sunday games are available

Who knows if it wouldn't have been as bad if they scooped up what NBC ended up getting a decade ago

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/857298862377230336

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Timby posted:

Why does everyone not mention the elephant in the room? The last 15 years the cost of obtaining rights to televise sports has skyrocketed.Everything has a limit.

I always looked at it as a bubble waiting to burst. All this on-air talent was viewed as maximizing the real money which was spent on Live sports. The 350 million in cuts is a fraction of what ESPN pays for broadcast rights.
Remember ESPN got by the first 20 years reporting on sports and broadcasting cheaper, alternative live programming. This is eventually going to change, i know the regional sports network system drives me crazy.
Huge regional and national sports broadcasting rights supported by ad revenue has driven the market and the market will burst. Most of us have ignored it but now people are cutting cords and buying generic brands of some of the products heavily advertised to sports demographics.(Razors are one example).

Some of the regional networks are having trouble generating income enough to justify what they pay the teams. Expect this to slowly start to effect the whole industry.

TL;DR

Sports broadcasting rights cost too much and i expect it to effect the whole industry, including new collective bargaining agreements in the next 5 to 10 years.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 26, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Harlock posted:

This also gave them the rights to show NFL footage and highlights on their nine million hours of programming, it was more than just the games themselves. And even having bad NFL games helps from a carriage rate perspective and gets them more viewers than basically anything else would

Vertical Lime posted:

Don't hesitate when flex-scheduled Sunday games are available

Who knows if it wouldn't have been as bad if they scooped up what NBC ended up getting a decade ago

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/857298862377230336

Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure the NFL wasn't offering them the same package they gave NBC. They weren't going to put their marquee package on cable

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 26, 2017

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The new NBA contract kicks in this fall, that surely cost a lot

A lot of the other big contracts run out in 3-4 years, that's when things will really get interesting

MourningView posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering but I'm pretty sure the NFL wasn't offering them the same package they gave NBC. They weren't going to put their marquee package on cable

That book that came out a few years ago said the NFL wanted to move the marquee games to Sunday night since Monday night games were getting lopsided. ABC wouldn't do it because they had some popular shows on then.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 26, 2017

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ethan Strauss got dumped in the middle of the playoffs

As a TrueHoop listener, Ethan and Calvin Watkins getting dumped really stinks. Also hurts to see Jayson Stark and Jane McManus leave.

e: Now Justin Verrier as well.

Anals of History fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 26, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
It's sad that such a huge number of people are losing their jobs.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Last I recall broadcast networks were paying less to the NFL for better games / coverage. ESPN paid more for worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Harlock posted:

Last I recall broadcast networks were paying less to the NFL for better games / coverage. ESPN paid more for worse.
Yes, ESPN got the worst package AND paid out the rear end

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

These two are really shocking to me. I guess it just goes to show the level of the cuts they're putting in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I'll miss Verrier a lot.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
This is going to be just the kick in the pants Russillo needed to move out to Cali and try to latch on with Simmons. Which sucks because he's SO much better than that.

I know he's still technically on contract, but there's no way he stays or renews under these circumstances. I'll follow him anywhere though. Consistently the best mind and voice in sports over the past 5 years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TNT/NBA TV should go after Russillo.

EJ's 60 and his kid's health is declining pretty bad so they'd be wise to have someone ready in the wings. Not sure when Russillo's deal is up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/katieperalta/status/857319407021957123

Why did they even bother to set up shop in Charlotte to begin with