Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

Cars with sticker prices under $20,000 should have sealed and waterproof interiors so you can pressure wash it "as a courtesy" any time one of them rolls into the shop.

No cushions either, just hard plastic.

I would pay extra for this to be a feature. Cushions are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

At least it has a spare tire. Economy cars these days aren't even getting a spare, just a can of fix-a-flat, a 12v tire inflator, and a hearty "good luck".

Doesn't do you much good if you have a blowout.

Get a load of this prole trying to understand how Superleggera works :rolleyes:

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I wonder how close my campervan just got to burning down... it was venting steam and too hot to touch for about an hour. It's a brand new battery and battery charger, first time hooked up to 240v supply so either could be at fault.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo; for all the nasty smoker's cars, ultra-poor-people's cars who were a few hard accelerations from snapping ball joints off, and redneck heaps that were actively disintegrating around you, minivans that regularly carried large amounts of kids without as-regular cleaning were the absolute worst to get into for any amount of time.

While working at a car stereo shop, we worked on a changer install in a really nice conversion van. Except high fashion mommy was above ever cleaning up after her kids, who turned the back of that thing into a cesspit. Oh, god it was gross. Like rotten banana gross. I mean this literally.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

n0tqu1tesane posted:

At least it has a spare tire. Economy cars these days aren't even getting a spare, just a can of fix-a-flat, a 12v tire inflator, and a hearty "good luck".

Doesn't do you much good if you have a blowout.

Exactly. I was pissed when my wife's Kia didn't have a spare, and didn't think to check that when we bought it.

Had a flat tire a few months back. Walked out my back door and noticed it was flat. Stepdad wondered why I didn't call AAA. :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

Get a load of this prole trying to understand how Superleggera works :rolleyes:
Bitch, please.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's weird, usually when people chop a car up they throw away the useless parts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nowt wrong with a blacktop Zetec.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Applesnots posted:

I need that on my MG

I have seen this on an MG. And a Triumph

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
More tire assassins.

http://i.imgur.com/iUDlGFl.gifv

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress. That thing must have been grinding on dry bearings for a while, look at that fucker smoke! :stare:

e: the dude and the dog identically noping the gently caress out is hilarious.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Bitch, please.

Not gonna lie - wanna strap a seat and a fuel tank on that and drive it around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just FYI from the last page -- the theme music from SpyHunter is the theme from Peter Gunn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oysMt8iL9UE

Just in case you wanted a nice proper version.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Not gonna lie - wanna strap a seat and a fuel tank on that and drive it around.
If I had sufficient room to give it a run, this is exactly what I would have done.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

While working at a car stereo shop, we worked on a changer install in a really nice conversion van. Except high fashion mommy was above ever cleaning up after her kids, who turned the back of that thing into a cesspit. Oh, god it was gross. Like rotten banana gross. I mean this literally.

My kids are the reason why i bought a cheap rear end old car for my wife to ferry them around. We can get a nice car again when they are grown enough to no longer throw food around and no longer need diapers.
Until then a car where you don't have to give a gently caress about keeping it look nice is great.
Just vacuum it out once a month and wipe down the plastic parts, done!

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Captain Hair posted:

I think in the UK it's still law to have an actual spare wheel. But we get those dumb safety spare ones that are super skinny usually and made with strict limits on speed/mileage I think.

The law states that if you have a spare, it must be good/safe, but it doesn't specify that you have to have one. Neither of my cars do.

My brain filled in Junkrat yelling "Fire in the hole!" Except it looks like the one from the truck now really has a fire in the hole left behind, since the seized bearing seems to have ignited the grease.

nene fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 26, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Haven't spares largely been replaced by smart phones and road assistance, at least in urban areas? I think that's a better alternative than mucking around with a widow maker and rusty bolts to put on a dry-rotted decade old space saver.

Which reminds me of my former colleague who bought, of all things. the Mini that looks like the shortie pickup. Anyway, it didn't come with a spare, and he insisted, so he ordered, at great expense, a spare mounting kit in the US and a spare tire from Germany.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

nene posted:

The law states that if you have a spare, it must be good/safe, but it doesn't specify that you have to have one. Neither of my cars do.

We have the same law, I just prepared to claim that my spare was a decorative item on my offroader. Because the original RAV4 without a spare on the back would look horrible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seriously let me buy a plastic tweel and I'll obey the 30mph/15 mile warning if it means when I need it it's not rotten or rusted. Space savers don't save space anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

cakesmith handyman posted:

Seriously let me buy a plastic tweel and I'll obey the 30mph/15 mile warning if it means when I need it it's not rotten or rusted. Space savers don't save space anyway.

People drive on their spacesavers for weeks at a time, no one would follow that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cojawfee posted:

People drive on their spacesavers for weeks at a time, no one would follow that.

"I'm just driving off the highway. Ok, to the next mechanic. Actually, this drives just fine, I'm driving home. Eh, it still works, gonna drive to work."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SEKCobra posted:

"I'm just driving off the highway. Ok, to the next mechanic. Actually, this drives just fine, I'm driving home. Eh, it still works, gonna drive to work."

All the time in Atlanta. Scares the hell out of me.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wish I had my phone on me when I saw it, but a couple weeks ago I saw a newer BMW 6-series with a bald spare tire on the front driver side.

Who wears their spare tire down like that??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone who can barely afford the BMW to begin with and got sticker shock when it came time to buy a new tire.

The real question is how many miles have they done between oil changes. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Someone who can barely afford the BMW to begin with and got sticker shock when it came time to buy a new tire.

Even better: A lot of these spares warn you not to go too fast or else it could damage the differentials.

I see people regularly doing 75-80 on these :gonk: I had to use the spare on my 90 Quattro a couple days back due to a failed tire, and I was paranoid about even approaching 55.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

xzzy posted:

I overheard a coworker bitching about how the dealership didn't tell him he needed to change his oil. Immediate loss of all respect.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Walked into my mechanic a couple of months back, he's my bosses brother so I kinda trust him. We saw a couple of huge slicks sitting in ther corner, I asked him about them. Turns out they aren't slicks, they came off the back of an X5. The owner so was shocked that 335 35 r20 (?) cost HEAPS even when you buy lovely Chinese knock offs she balked at replacing them. She was failed on local inspection and had to replace them. Imagine her repsonse when he suggested the fronts were also terrible and they needed replacing too...

I think someone on these forums explained it prety well - An X5 is an aspirational car and now people who are wrapped up in "I own a BMW X5" can own one for cheap. They just don't understand that the luxury car that makes them look like they own the world on the school run comes with high service costs.

People mock me for my 20002 grandma Corolla. Guess what, I can afford it. And the service costs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

Walked into my mechanic a couple of months back, he's my bosses brother so I kinda trust him. We saw a couple of huge slicks sitting in ther corner, I asked him about them. Turns out they aren't slicks, they came off the back of an X5. The owner so was shocked that 335 35 r20 (?) cost HEAPS even when you buy lovely Chinese knock offs she balked at replacing them. She was failed on local inspection and had to replace them. Imagine her repsonse when he suggested the fronts were also terrible and they needed replacing too...
I was in a tire shop a few months ago and the guy in front of me had a munitions-grade breakdown when he was told that tires on an AWD X3 need to be replaced in sets.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
It just makes me so happy to live in a small town. I've had girls I've dated recommend me the mechanic I already use because they don't act like shits. How hard is it? Do your job well, treat everyone the same. Problem solved.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was in a tire shop a few months ago and the guy in front of me had a munitions-grade breakdown when he was told that tires on an AWD X3 need to be replaced in sets.
When I was a teenager I worked at a tire shop and that was an almost everyday occurrence. I could understand their questioning if they thought the tread wear if the other tires were still "pretty good" - but we often had people trying to outright change tire sizes to save a few bucks. Most were convinced we were just trying to gently caress them over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

When I was a teenager I worked at a tire shop and that was an almost everyday occurrence. I could understand their questioning if they thought the tread wear if the other tires were still "pretty good" - but we often had people trying to outright change tire sizes to save a few bucks. Most were convinced we were just trying to gently caress them over.

He was pretty pissed already because they couldn't put a plug in the massive sidewall tear he had been driving on for a day.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

slothrop posted:

I think someone on these forums explained it prety well - An X5 is an aspirational car and now people who are wrapped up in "I own a BMW X5" can own one for cheap. They just don't understand that the luxury car that makes them look like they own the world on the school run comes with high service costs.

People mock me for my 20002 grandma Corolla. Guess what, I can afford it. And the service costs.

ed: Party like it's 19999!

How did you bring it back from the future? Have they solved war, poverty, and SJWs in the 200th century?
ed: Party like it's 19999!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Seat Safety Switch posted:

He was pretty pissed already because they couldn't put a plug in the massive sidewall tear he had been driving on for a day.

There's got to be a real temptation from those guys to just say gently caress it and replace the one tire so they can watch the guy being towed into the dealer two months later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The inability for people to register how important tires are will never not amaze me. You've got two thousand pounds of metal being shoved down the road with hundreds of horsepower worth of output and your only means of controlling it are via four tiny contact patches of rubber that are (generously) 10 square inches in size.

And THAT is where you want to save money on maintenance? :iiam:

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

slothrop posted:

Does it have the hover conversion and FTL drive? :v: (drat, beaten)

There's nothing wrong with an oldish model Corolla. With a manual trans they can even be somewhat fun.

You just have to watch out for dumb poo poo the previous owner did. Like ignore a positive battery terminal that is leaking acid everywhere.

This was off a 2011 model. The ring terminal that this attaches to didn't look very good either but is part of the wiring harness and couldn't come off :ohdear:

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 26, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DethMarine21 posted:

You just have to watch out for dumb poo poo the previous owner did. Like ignore a positive battery terminal that is leaking acid everywhere.

This was off a 2011 model. The ring terminal that this attaches to didn't look very good either but is part of the wiring harness and couldn't come off :ohdear:

Hey this is what the positive terminal looks like on my daily driver Subaru.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

The inability for people to register how important tires are will never not amaze me. You've got two thousand pounds of metal being shoved down the road with hundreds of horsepower worth of output and your only means of controlling it are via four tiny contact patches of rubber that are (generously) 10 square inches in size.

And THAT is where you want to save money on maintenance? :iiam:

I'm never sure what to think about super-cheap tires.

On the one hand they're generally terrible and are probably less safe brand new than my worn high quality tires are now.

On the other hand the kind of people who buy them might have just chosen to keep driving on bald tires until they failed, and a new crappy tire is probably better than anything bald the moment the surface becomes anything less than perfect.

I agree though, it's angering how much people try to do the absolute least they can to maintain the most important part of their car. Basically all of the performance and much of the safety of the vehicle depends on the tires.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 26, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I am a fan of super cheap high performance tires like the Firehawk Indy 500 and the Nexen Sur4. The former is a rebranded Bridgestone RE003 and the latter is the Hankook RS3v2 compound.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some don't care and should be strung up.

Some don't have a choice because their car is the only way they can get to their minimum wage job and buying a tire that week means not eating for the next 10 days.

The best way to keep unsafe vehicles off the road is to invest in good and inexpensive public transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

BlackMK4 posted:

latter is the Hankook RS3v2 compound.

Wait, really? I need some fresh summer tires and those came up on tirerack. Hmmm. Probably going to get the tirerack branded te37 knockoffs too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 26, 2017