Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

no pubes yet sorry posted:

My employer is offering to pay for certs. I don't have any yet and it hasn't really been a problem at all but I figure I may as well get some for free.

I am currently an IT Director for a medium sized business. I have 15 years of experience as sysadmin/network admin, db admin and consulting. Ideally the certs I get would be actually useful day to day and would translate to career progression long run.

I think I could probably pass many certs without studying (couldn't hurt to review as work will pay for courses) but I don't really see any value in getting the entry level certs.

What should I start with? I am leaning towards MS certs initially then networking then security.

What do you want to do? IT director typically means you aren't supporting stuff, perhaps making some high level decisions about architecture type stuff, but not really handling implementation or support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you're focusing on certs that would help at the director level and above, CRISC, PMP, CISSP, ITIL, TOGAF, etc... I wouldn't even bother with the Microsoft stuff.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Define mid sized company

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Whoops, edit wiped out my reply.

We are on the small side of medium. 200+ employees, 10 locations in the US. We are growing so those numbers are ticking up.

Organizationally my title is Director and I perform all the director level functions but I still sysadmin and am involved day to day with support and implementation. The job function will shift as org grows.

I took a CRISC practice exam I found and passed it easily - obviously not indicative of a real test but seems like it could be useful. Out of the architecture and project management certs are ITIL, PMP and TOGAF the big ones now?

no pubes yet sorry fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 20, 2017

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I'm very hands on. Organizationally my title is Director and I perform all

milk milk lemonade posted:

Define mid sized company

See this varies so much by company. I would consider us a mid sized company, but we're global with 60 sites and 12K+ employees. I report to a Manager, who reports to a Director. My Director oversees 3 separate teams, each with their own manager, and team underneath. He reports to a VP of IT who has 7 Directors under him, and he is one of 5 VP's in the IT Org.

A large company to me is 50K+ employees.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

skipdogg posted:

See this varies so much by company. I would consider us a mid sized company, but we're global with 60 sites and 12K+ employees. I report to a Manager, who reports to a Director. My Director oversees 3 separate teams, each with their own manager, and team underneath. He reports to a VP of IT who has 7 Directors under him, and he is one of 5 VP's in the IT Org.

A large company to me is 50K+ employees.

Mid/Medium seems to mean more than 100 employees but less than 30k. It is nearly meaningless except to say "not small".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is more general but how do you even sit down and study? Feels like only 10 percent ever sticks and it's really discouraging.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Practice something you just learned. Assign an ACL to a port and pass traffic through. Design a group policy and apply it to a PC. Spin up a clone VM in a separate virtual network. Write a quick webpage form with PHP and link a database. Warchalk your neighboring buildings.

The next time you study you'll have something concrete to apply the information to. Then you can do the same lab but use your newer information as well. It sticks so much better and you get that accomplished feeling when your lab works.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

skooma512 posted:

This is more general but how do you even sit down and study? Feels like only 10 percent ever sticks and it's really discouraging.

I feel it, especially as I'm getting close to 50. There are ways of forcing yourself to study, and by that, I mean "the words actually stick to my brain now" instead of scrolling by my eyes.

My wife does this:
Open the first pages, find the table of contents.

Write each topic and subtopic at the top of a flash card.

Read: As you finish each section / subsection of the book, force yourself to make three bullet points on the correlating flash card that cover all of the section's material even tangentially.

Study: Flip through the flash cards, get yourself to remember what the three bullet points were about. Iterate until you're pretty quick at recalling what's on the flash cards.

----------

I do this:
Take two practice tests so I get a feel for the level of detail the test wants.
Read the recommended study guide, taking bullet point notes at a level a little deeper than the test wants. Notes are in my own words. This is my Big Notes.

Re-read Big Notes one or two times.

Turn my Big Notes into Small Notes: condense Big Notes into as few pages and as few words as I can, then try again. After try 3 or 4, I might have a spiral notebook of material condensed down to a Cliffs Notes of like 3-4 pages that I personally made, so it jogs my memory perfectly.

Turn Small Notes into Uberchart: On four letter-sized pieces of paper taped together, flowchart the Small Notes, and I poo poo you not, colorize them with colored pencils. The color association and lines take the little visual/auditory links that have been building this whole time on their own and makes them way easier to mentally "seek" during a test.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now for the actual reason I came in here:

I'm looking for good CISA and CISM study books. Recommendations?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skooma512 posted:

I do well with repetition and practical learning; labs and flash cards are my bread and butter. Also, as I read through chapters I will take my own notes, and usually re-write those notes later into more concise notes, but this falls into the whole repetition thing, kind of.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Has anyone used Crammasters Online for certification exam prep? I have a CCNA and Windows Server prep I have been asked to review by my boss and was wondering if anyone had any input on the quality of their services.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Thanks all! I'll give those suggestions a shot.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Solaron posted:

Great - thank you! My endorser just responded that he thinks the experience should be more than fine so I think I'll be good. I think my sleep-deprived mind is just looking for reasons why this won't go through somehow.
My congratulations and designation came in today, so roughly 3.5 weeks after endorsement was sent in.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Old workplace had a whole test environment where you could pretty much do anything. Spent most of time breaking and building stuff there.

I miss it now.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

MF_James posted:

I do well with repetition and practical learning; labs and flash cards are my bread and butter. Also, as I read through chapters I will take my own notes, and usually re-write those notes later into more concise notes, but this falls into the whole repetition thing, kind of.

This was my strategy. Material didn't stick very well until I did things a few times myself in a lab environment (just a bunch of mocked out VM's, Packet Tracer, and GNS3). I did every practical lab task over and over until I could do it very quickly and without ever referring to notes. This made "yo fix this broken config," questions fairly trivial because troubleshooting just became walking through the implementation steps to check.

It also depends on the exam too. If you're doing RHCSA then really the practice is really all you need. Going through and poring over the textbook isn't very useful. For Microsoft tests, though, from what I gather it's a lot more regurgitating book bullet points.

So the trouble with studying for these exams is that you not only need to find out a study routine that works for you, but then also is actually appropriate for the test.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 23, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
After too many years in customer service I'm finally getting my proverbials together and want to get out and into something more useful or at least higher paying like IT.

I'm sure I'm barking up the wrong tree for "something better" but I need a change.

Are the Sybex books still a good resource to learn from? Or are actual classes better? I'm sure the answer is "its personal preference."

How often do the exams change, I.E. do I need to worry that if I start studying now will the exams change in six months?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but those are the first ones I have.

Edit: for what it's worth I just want to get my foot in the door. I need a good starting point and I'll tackle the rest.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 24, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Classes are expensive and are usually only worth the cost if your employer picks up the tab. Start with books.

New exams are usually announced way ahead of time regardless of vendor. Look up the exam you want to take and it should be pretty apparent if it will change in 6 months.

IT, even at a customer service level, is objectively better than other customer service rolls. In IT you hold knowledge the customer or client doesn't possess, so they can't treat you like bottom of the barrel scum (all the time, anyway)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Is EMCSA (EMC Storage Administrator) certification something employers care about? I'm going to a training on EMC Data Domain in a couple of months and I found out included is a voucher to take the certification exam for it.

I can't find it listed in a single employment posting though. I mean, sure, I see a ton of stuff for EMC administration, but not the actual certification.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Is EMCSA (EMC Storage Administrator) certification something employers care about? I'm going to a training on EMC Data Domain in a couple of months and I found out included is a voucher to take the certification exam for it.

I can't find it listed in a single employment posting though. I mean, sure, I see a ton of stuff for EMC administration, but not the actual certification.

I don't think a standard corporate job will care about it, but if you're looking at a job with a VAR, Integrator, or consulting firm, they might. It can't hurt to earn it. It can also help with your current job when discussing things review time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

TheBoyBlunder posted:

After too many years in customer service I'm finally getting my proverbials together and want to get out and into something more useful or at least higher paying like IT.

I'm sure I'm barking up the wrong tree for "something better" but I need a change.

Are the Sybex books still a good resource to learn from? Or are actual classes better? I'm sure the answer is "its personal preference."

How often do the exams change, I.E. do I need to worry that if I start studying now will the exams change in six months?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but those are the first ones I have.

Edit: for what it's worth I just want to get my foot in the door. I need a good starting point and I'll tackle the rest.
For the Network+, the Sybex book felt like it didn't go quite as deep as it needed to, especially the practice/chapter tests; it was very helpful, but I wouldn't have wanted to make the run at the test without CBTNuggets and TestOUT. I don't know that I'd recommend those explicitly, but definitely get at least one or two places to study outside of Sybex.

So, I took the A+ in July (the very last day of the 220-801 & 802), and just passed the Network+ on Saturday. The job I've been promoted into seems like a good way to move my way into being a DBA (probably Oracle), but I've heard it's much easier to pass the Security+ exam immediately after Network+; is it worth going for my Security+, or if my intended direction is to become a DBA, am I better off getting out of the entry-level CompTIA stuff, and starting on some Oracle certs?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 25, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Security+ is the one actually worth getting as it's recognized by the DoD. Any IT resume is improved by having it, in my opinion, because HR and C levels are awestruck by IT security buzzwords.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is a lot of topics on Security+ that a decade-old veteran may not even know anything about deeper than name and "thats a crypto thing right?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Would you guys agree that it's much easier to pass Security+ shortly after Network+?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Would you guys agree that it's much easier to pass Security+ shortly after Network+?

The Sec+ is just significantly easier than the Net+ period. Net+ is a dumb level of rote memorization and that's all there is to it. Sec+ you can usually feel your way through the question if you don't remember the specifics.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanatosian posted:

There's a lot of overlap so yeah I would think so.

Disclaimer: I took them 3 years apart.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

The Sec+ is just significantly easier than the Net+ period. Net+ is a dumb level of rote memorization and that's all there is to it. Sec+ you can usually feel your way through the question if you don't remember the specifics.

Agreed. Sec+ you can pass by reading a book for a week or two and having absorbed some common sense day-to-day knowledge of IT security that you'd get from working just about any role in the industry. And there is a bit of overlap with Net+ so yeah.

There's also these videos which are pretty great for being free.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Guide to passing Security+ : give whatever answer a C level wants to hear in an interview.

Forget realistic expectations, forget reasonable shortcuts, forget things you've done in the real world. Give every feel-good canned answer that would bring a smile to a non-IT person's face.

There, you've passed.

Solaron
Sep 6, 2007

Whatever the reason you're on Mars, I'm glad you're there, and I wish I was with you.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Guide to passing Security+ : give whatever answer a C level wants to hear in an interview.

Forget realistic expectations, forget reasonable shortcuts, forget things you've done in the real world. Give every feel-good canned answer that would bring a smile to a non-IT person's face.

There, you've passed.

That was basically the same advice I was first given when I began studying for CISSP.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hey, those canned answers have to come from somewhere.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Thanatosian posted:

The job I've been promoted into seems like a good way to move my way into being a DBA (probably Oracle), but I've heard it's much easier to pass the Security+ exam immediately after Network+; is it worth going for my Security+, or if my intended direction is to become a DBA, am I better off getting out of the entry-level CompTIA stuff, and starting on some Oracle certs?

Oh loving lol. PM me if you run into any weird Oracle stuff. I'll do my best to walk you through it.

The starter Oracle cert is basic SQL programming. After that comes the OCA DBA which is where the admin work starts. Security+ does not even apply unless you're working for the DoD.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Oh loving lol. PM me if you run into any weird Oracle stuff. I'll do my best to walk you through it.

The starter Oracle cert is basic SQL programming. After that comes the OCA DBA which is where the admin work starts. Security+ does not even apply unless you're working for the DoD.

Heh, right now everything I do in Oracle is weird, I know virtually nothing about it. My boss really likes me, so she bumped me to a position she expects me to grow into. It's a fantastic opportunity for me, but I'm definitely in a bit over my head right now.

The company is in finance, and very security-conscious, so I think the Security+ will pay off, and I would like to do it while I still remember stuff from Network+.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone take the Stanly VMware ICM 6.0 course recently know if I can get away without buying the textbook? I need to take it to qualify for the exam since I let my VCP5 expire.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Heh, right now everything I do in Oracle is weird, I know virtually nothing about it. My boss really likes me, so she bumped me to a position she expects me to grow into. It's a fantastic opportunity for me, but I'm definitely in a bit over my head right now.

The company is in finance, and very security-conscious, so I think the Security+ will pay off, and I would like to do it while I still remember stuff from Network+.

Unless your company is telling you to do Security+ and is dangling a pay raise it's a waste. It won't really help you with actual security fundamentals.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ErIog posted:

Unless your company is telling you to do Security+ and is dangling a pay raise it's a waste. It won't really help you with actual security fundamentals.

BUT WAR CHALKING

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Has anyone here taken the PCNSE? What did you use to study for it, how much time, how long have you been working on PAs, etc? I had some pretty thorough training (not specifically for the PCNSE, just PAs in general) a few months ago through my work and have been poking my way through some of the official material lately.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MF_James posted:

BUT WAR CHALKING

Never fails to make me laugh

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

MF_James posted:

BUT WAR CHALKING

Much like D.A.R.E. telling me weed was going knock my socks off I now war chalk because the Security+ materials told me it owned and was what cool hackers were doing.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

ErIog posted:

I'm saving sec+ as a way to reset the timer on my n+ and a+ without spending time and money on CE credits. Although I hope by the time that comes I won't care since I'll be in a position that will be a stepping stone to places that don't give a poo poo about entry level CompTIA certs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I wasn't planning on doing the Sec+, but I'm starting to mess around with Kali Linux and metasploit for my company to do just some sort of basic passive vulnerability review of our network configuration and I wouldn't mind getting grounded with some fundamentals that I may not have picked up on otherwise.

Does anyone have any good study guide recommendations for Sec+? When I did my Net+ I just used the Mike Meyers passport series and that worked fine for me... should I stick with that for Security+ or is there something better out there?

Also, has anyone tried any of the paid education courses on Stack Social? I thought they looked like they might be a good review and they're cheap enough at ~50$, but I'm deeply skeptical of anything that says it's 99% off the "normal price" of $1500 "for a limited time only" with similar posts from last year, plus I feel like a lot of this information has a short half life unless you're actively using it and I'm just looking for continuing education kinda stuff. Are any of these like the ethical hacking or the 2017 coding bundle worthwhile, or should I stick with free courses like from datacamp and stuff?