Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Antti posted:

Also copper wire. Dear god, so much copper wire.

Don't produce and belt copper wire. It's more efficient to stick with copper plates, belt those around, and then produce copper wires on site for your green chips or whatever.

The copper wire assembly is the only recipe that yields more items than it consumes, so if you're just hauling around wire for wherever you're wasting space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

RyokoTK posted:

Don't produce and belt copper wire. It's more efficient to stick with copper plates, belt those around, and then produce copper wires on site for your green chips or whatever.

The copper wire assembly is the only recipe that yields more items than it consumes, so if you're just hauling around wire for wherever you're wasting space.

Agreed. In every other instance, a centralized, isolated facility is fine, but expanding recipes are best kept producing directly into their intended use.

Iron gear wheels, however, should be segmented out pretty early, since it cuts down iron plate logistics by around a third.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

NeuralSpark posted:

It's my hand-edited no-effort sandbox starting area, I was planning on loving around with the new speakers ala the Still Alive link posted earlier. :blush:

Most of the .15 starting areas I've run with seem to be decent, though. They're not as nicely compact as that have created over, but I've gotten stone, ores, uranium and water all within one-and-a-half screens with every start so far.

My biggest problem so far is that I can't get away from the central belt plans that have been burned into my brain. So far with green+red science it's been ok, but belted science isn't going to go well with tree specialized packs. I think a small sub factory with belts to per-research factory chests will work ok? Either that or double belted on each side of each research hut... R/g/b/p on one side, specialty packs on the other.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On top of having three optional science packs, getting balanced production is further complicated by what seems to be a lot more recipes requiring differing amounts of packs, eg 2 red 2 green 1 blue. The only way now is to saturate everything, always.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
As it should be :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zomborgon posted:

Agreed. In every other instance, a centralized, isolated facility is fine, but expanding recipes are best kept producing directly into their intended use.

Iron gear wheels, however, should be segmented out pretty early, since it cuts down iron plate logistics by around a third.

Iron gears are always the very first thing on my production line, since a) most of the things it goes to are also low-tech items that are automated early, like belts and assemblers, and b) you need to automate yellow belt and fruit punch kool-aid production in the early game and iron gears can chew up a lot of iron, so you might as well do it early.

If you have a lot of iron ore near your spawn, I'd even suggest having a dedicated stretch of drillers and furnaces just for iron gears because you don't want to choke your iron plate production just because you need a thousand belts to establish your belt system in the early game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Remember: one full belt of gears is two full belts of iron.

If you don't have two belts of iron going into your gear production, you're not making enough gears.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jabor posted:

If you don't have two belts of iron going into your gear production,
you're not making enough gears.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

God drat it.

I was just puttering about paving/expanding my previously mentioned research facility. Goon Island is an amazing seed btw.

Turns out using a seed from here has ....unintended consequences on my builds. Concrete is still in the works...Must. Pave. The. World.

I present the deliberately unnamed "Research Facility 1"

:dong:

:doh:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Retro42 posted:

God drat it.

I was just puttering about paving/expanding my previously mentioned research facility. Goon Island is an amazing seed btw.

Turns out using a seed from here has ....unintended consequences on my builds. Concrete is still in the works...Must. Pave. The. World.

Classic. All roadsbelts lead to romedicks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Having to automate basic grenades for gray tech is a huge fuckin' blessing since after >400 hours I've never bothered to just use them for clearing forests since I play on peaceful.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Retro42 posted:

Goon Island is an amazing seed btw.

What is the Goon Island seed?

Also, do you know about the Factorio Calc?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

gently caress, I've never bussed gears but those are persuasive arguments. My precious pure bus sullied by such a basic intermediate ingredient :qq:

Echoing everyone saying do not bus copper wire. Make a giant green circuit complex with 3:2 wire:greencircuit assembler ratios. 2 fast inserters per wire-greencircuit connection, which = 3 fast inserters feeding wires to each greencircuit assembler.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I still can't comprehend factories that aren't a tangled mess of belts, splitters and underground belts that you get half working and then abandon to make an even bigger abomination.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

accipter posted:

What is the Goon Island seed?

Onean posted:

>>>AAAPAAAAYwACBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl 
 AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAIFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAwMDCAAAAGl 
 yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAgUFl0 
 Nk3oCEHgCAhB4AAwABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP 
 wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA 
 AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF 
 7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ 
 GN7bWg98bQPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEBAQMAAAABBwAAAAECA 
 AAAAQIAAAABmpmZmZmZuT8BAAAAAAAAAEABAAAAAAAA4D8BmpmZmZmZ 
 2T8BzczMzMzM7D8BBQAAAAEUAAAAAUA4AAABwEsDAAEQDgAAAaCMAAA 
 BIBwAAAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAFmZmZmZmb2PwEzMzMzMzPjPw 
 EzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAIQAEAAAAAAAAkQAE8AAAAAR4AAAAByAAAA 
 AEFAAAAAQAAAAAAAABAAQEBAAAAAAAAWUABBQAAAAEZAAAAAQAAAAAA 
 ACRAATIAAAABAAAAAAAAPkABZAAAAAGamZmZmZnJPwEzMzMzMzPDPwE 
 zMzMzMzPTPwEzMzMzMzPTPwEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAA0QAEAAAAAAA 
 A+QAEAAAAAAAAUQAEAAAAAAAA+QAEAAAAAAAAkQAEAAAAAAAAIQAEKA 
 AAAAWQAAAABZAAAAAHoAwAAAQAAAAAAAOA/AdAHAAABAAAAAABAf0AD 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAADwP6nEiXc=<<<

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
Further echoing belting gears and green circuits. This is the first map that I've done so, and holy hell it just makes things run so much better without having to have so much in situ gear/circuit construction.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Solumin posted:

Embrace the spaghetti. Figure out some basics. When you start automating some new part, try to make it as pleasing to you as possible.

Then, when your current factory is meeting your needs but is too spaghetti to expand well, start building a new factory somewhere else. This time, you have all the components you need to start making a beautiful factory!

This is a good strategy. Thanks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

If you don't have two belts of iron going into your gear production, you're not making enough gears.
I've never felt the need to belt gears and this just helped me figure out why. I usually have just barely 2 belts of iron when I am launching a rocket so that sort of logistic bonus is way over the horizon.

Does anyone have a gut (or spreadsheeted) feeling on if the new research needs more or less sum basis and rate basis of copper and iron for rockets yet?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Factorio: >>>AAAPAAAAYwACBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Nth Doctor posted:

Factorio: >>>AAAPAAAAYwACBQcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl

This, completely unironically. I guess for a real thread title it would need an ellipsis after N characters.

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a clue what the best ratio for nuclear reactors to turbines is?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Whiirrr posted:

Does anyone have a clue what the best ratio for nuclear reactors to turbines is?

You're forging new territory. There might be some threads on it on the Factorio forum, but it's still pretty new.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Whiirrr posted:

Nuclear reactor to boilers is 1:4, unless you have two side by side, then heat output is double for the number of boilers per reactor (2:16), if you make a 2x2 block, then that's an additional increase of 4 boilers per reactor so you end up with 4:48.

If you make some weird pattern of reactors, then here's simple math

Lone reactor-4 boilers per reactor
Touching 1 reactor-8 boilers per reactor
Touching 2 reactors-12 boilers per reactor
Touching 3 reactors-16 boilers per reactor

In theory if you covered all four sides one reactor could support 20, but you couldn't fuel it automatically normally then.

I think boilers to turbines is 1 per 2 though I'm not entirely certain of that for nuclear.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Remember: you never have enough of anything. Ever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Retro42 posted:

God drat it.

You could put 24 green science and 20 red science production for the amount of intermediates production you have.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Finally automated blue science. The new recipe is quite the lift compared the jump from red to green, though I think I this jump better than the old jump to blue science. I still don't have a real refinery setup yet, which was a neccessity when the old recipe required both plastic (via advanced circuits) and batteries.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

You could put 24 green science and 20 red science production for the amount of intermediates production you have.

Yeah, I'm slowly ramping it up as I go. Also working on a few other things so it's kind of low priority at the moment. I've actually shunted off the overflow gears/circuits/belts for now. All will come in handy when I make the changeover to red belts and start a large scale oil/steel industry.

Edit:

Is it worth sticking something to cap my power plants? Figure it might help in the occasional power request spike.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FISHMANPET posted:

Finally automated blue science. The new recipe is quite the lift compared the jump from red to green, though I think I this jump better than the old jump to blue science. I still don't have a real refinery setup yet, which was a neccessity when the old recipe required both plastic (via advanced circuits) and batteries.

Yeah blue tech requires so much less oil handling than it used to that it's much more manageable, and I think a lot better. Especially because batteries were really tricky to keep up with sometimes, and oil handling before you have Advanced Oil Processing is a real bitch.

Plus there are several green-level techs that require red chips (electric furnaces and stack inserters come to mind), and of course you need engines for trains, but at the green tech level you were pretty much only building batteries for blue tech since you probably didn't have the means to mass-produce solar panels.

Compared to all that, requiring gray assemblers as well seems almost like an afterthought. But honestly I think I'm happiest that they don't call for filter inserters, since that was something I pretty much exclusively built for blue tech; if I wanted filter inserters, which was rare to begin with, I was building the stack filter inserters anyway.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Retro42 posted:

Is it worth sticking something to cap my power plants? Figure it might help in the occasional power request spike.

That won't help with power spikes, since max output of a boiler is exactly 2 engines worth of steam.

It will hold a pretty huge buffer though, so if you suddenly run out of coal you'll have a few minutes to react.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

RyokoTK posted:

:aaa:

That makes so much sense. I feel like an idiot now. I guess it's because everything else like said makes sense to belt.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Can someone post a good smelter layout for me? I am bad at figuring one out on my own :(

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Truga posted:

That won't help with power spikes, since max output of a boiler is exactly 2 engines worth of steam.

It will hold a pretty huge buffer though, so if you suddenly run out of coal you'll have a few minutes to react.

I like redundancy so that works for me. Between the backup solars, the auxiliary coal storage, and the steam tanks I'm looking to have at least 5-10 minutes of backup power if the worst case happens.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Truga posted:

Coal shortages will destroy you rapidly with these new steam engines. The each boiler at full bore will run through a coal lump in 2 seconds, so it really starts to snowball if your belt isn't supplying enough. And if they're electric miners it hits even harder.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So I was all ready to go with my first oil train when I realized I have no idea how you actually load/offload the fluid wagon. I think you use pumps, right? Do you just place them next to the rails pointing at each chamber of the wagon? I checked the stop & scheduling tutorial hoping it would cover this but it doesn't

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You only need one pump for wagon if all the tanks are connected i the wagon (click the wagon to connect or disconnect tanks inside it). But yes, point the pump at the wagon to load it, point the pump away from it to unload it. You'll know it's working because the pump arm will extend to the wagon to load or unload it.

The new fluid wagon really is amazing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Firos posted:

Can someone post a good smelter layout for me? I am bad at figuring one out on my own :(

huge filesize warning: https://udba.org/f/screenshot-tick-2522613.png

There's no space to upgrade to electric because it'll get abandoned anyway once I start training poo poo around. If you want to upgrade in-place, leave an extra spot between furnaces (nice for power poles anyway), and also an extra spot between the furnace and the output belt. Then just flush the coal and replace with electric.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

FISHMANPET posted:

You only need one pump for wagon if all the tanks are connected i the wagon (click the wagon to connect or disconnect tanks inside it). But yes, point the pump at the wagon to load it, point the pump away from it to unload it. You'll know it's working because the pump arm will extend to the wagon to load or unload it.

The new fluid wagon really is amazing.

Got it, thanks. I wasn't sure because there's no visual indicator that's it's set up right when it's not active I guess

Edit: oh wait, there is a visual, but not until you build some of the adjacent piping for some reason

Also, I still have a long way to go before this, but I'm really excited by the possibilities that the new fluid barreling will provide. I've always thought that piping fluids around my factory is one the most annoying and inelegant parts of the logistics game, so it's really great that I'll just be able to have my bots fly around the small amounts of water, sulfuric acid, and lubricant that a lot of products require

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 26, 2017

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Have we tried Factorio: Commencing Scorched Paved Earth Policy Now yet?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Factorio: Are you telling me that this sucker is NUCLEAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Heads up, they reduced the red circuit production time to 6, so the new copper wire factory: red circut factory ratio is 1:6 now. Spent forever trying to figure out why I couldn't get full saturation.