Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

McDragon posted:

Oh, that reminds me. Where do you find the Goron you need for that quest? I don't feel like trekking around Hyrule to find him.

http://www.gosunoob.com/zelda-breath-of-wild/tarrey-town-finding-goron-zora-rita-from-ground-up-side-quest/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also I maxed out my bow stash one slot earlier than I thought I would and I know exactly why and I'm so peeved.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Oh also I maxed out my bow stash one slot earlier than I thought I would and I know exactly why and I'm so peeved.

Yeah I realized why that happens as well when I saw the bow stash stop maxing out one slot early.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Gorons are the best. I love it when they have a scared or shocked expression and suddenly they get like, cartoon googly eyes. It's hilarious.

And they're like "YEEAAAAHHHH BROTHER, GET PUMPED!!!" and are all about climbing mountains and seeing who can stand in fire the longest.

Strangely, there's actually a couple Gorons in the Gerudo town. Come to think of it, are there female Gorons? Maybe you just can't tell them apart. Or maybe they don't have sexes at all. I mean, they are pretty much naked...

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If you talk to one of them he wonders why they let him in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

Gorons are the best. I love it when they have a scared or shocked expression and suddenly they get like, cartoon googly eyes. It's hilarious.

My favorite are the old men in Goron City inn who get huge creepy smiles when you agree to let them massage you. Their expressions are chilling.

Also I hate hate hate the Gorons' banana hammocks. Uggh I do NOT need to see every Goron's sack bulge please.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 26, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Gorons really are the best. Yunobo sounds nothing like I expected Gorons to talk like, but it really fits him. Daruk is basically my default Goron voice but it would seem weird coming from Yunobo.

Xaris posted:

There's a little mining camp where there's some Gorons picking away. You should have past it on the way up Death Mountain, can't really miss it.

Oh, thanks. Will keep that link handy in case I hit another snag.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My favorite are the old men in Goron City inn who get huge creepy smiles when you agree to let them massage you. Their expressions are chilling.

The screams are pretty fitting for that, tbh.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

McDragon posted:

Gorons really are the best. Yunobo sounds nothing like I expected Gorons to talk like, but it really fits him. Daruk is basically my default Goron voice but it would seem weird coming from Yunobo.

My favorite bit with him was his absolute elation after you finish the divine beast. Its such a perfect moment.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

Can we talk about freeing Naydra for a second? That's one of my absolute favorite set pieces in the game, and I finally figured out why. The first time I did it, I climbed up the regular path all the way to the top, just ascending the mountain for the sack of itself. It was still very early in my playthrough; I hadn't even defeated any Divine Beasts. (I was also quite stoned and it was late that night, giving the whole thing a very dreamlike quality.)

I was playing BotW in bed and decided on a lark to see what's atop Lanayru before I passed out. Ended up freeing Naydra half-asleep with one eye shut. When I picked the game back up the following day I wasn't totally sure if it had happened, it felt so strange and magical. Perfect.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
"Daruk's Protection is ready to roll!" wouldn't sound out of place in a fantasy RTS

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

yamdankee posted:

Finally took the jump to kill Ganon last night, so I have to make the obligatory post about it. only 36% completed map. I couldn't believe it. I thought I delayed and delayed so much that it'd have been at least 50%.

The only things that affect the completion rate are:

Seeds collected
Shrines completed
Bosses defeated
Locations discovered

Each item is .08%, and the Korok Seeds make up 72% of that 100%. You could have done everything in the games and got half the Korok seeds to max out your inventory, and the game would still say you've done 64% of the game

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I'm currently in the farming phase of this lovely game...

...I'm at 95 shrines and ~140 korok seeds, I believe.

You don't need to farm. Just play the game, find the shrines, get seeds until you tire of it... you'll eventually get all the stuff you need.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- Korok Seeds are a Sperg Trap, Whine at Your Peril

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gotta say I didn't like the Naydra scene. Mainly because all the atmosphere was sucked out of it the moment I realized it was just an archery minigame rather than a boss fight. My expectations were probably colored by the fact that I had encountered Farrosh before but only at a distance and thought he was some big epic fight. So I spent a good amount of time anticipating a dragon fight I never got :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
First dragon I saw was Dinraal. I took a picture when I first saw it and read the flavor text in the compendium that said it bears no ill will towards humans, so I went into the Naydra scene with a "wow this is cool and I need to help this thing out" mentality. I didn't really organically stumble upon Naydra, though (having looked up the locations of where to find the dragons to get their scales, but not much more than that), so the experience was a bit diminished in that sense.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did they ever say where in the time line this takes place? My gut feeling is that it's years after wind waker because of the rito presence, as well as Beedle in the game.

Edit: oh yeah koroks were in WW too.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 26, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

seiferguy posted:

Did they ever say where in the time line this takes place? My gut feeling is that it's years after wind waker because of the rito presence, as well as Beedle in the game.

Edit: oh yeah koroks were in WW too.
It's not officially mentioned anywhere but most signs point to "after everything."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's in the Twilight Princess timeline, as indicated by Zelda's ceremonial speech with Link and the champions.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Finally got around to doing the Rito quests, and wow, gently caress you Revali, I'm glad I avenged you last.

The lead up to the DB was a bit disappointing. I thought for sure there'd be more, but it's literally do one minigame and you're good to go. Ah well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its in the timeline of "Nintendo doesn't really care".

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Revali rules. He's the coolest.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's in the Twilight Princess timeline, as indicated by Zelda's ceremonial speech with Link and the champions.

Yet it has Windwaker Koroks and other stuff from other timelines. The timelines collapsed and BotW is after all of them

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Revali rules. He's the coolest.

Nah man, Sidon is the coolest.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Yet it has Windwaker Koroks and other stuff from other timelines. The timelines collapsed and BotW is after all of them

Spend enough time ripping apart the space-time continuum in these games and eventually you get [Rick & Morty Episode of Nerdy poo poo] that fuses it all together. Simple!

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

acksplode posted:

Ganondorf "Warlock Punched" all the timelines into one new reality.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I really wish that an Inn's special bed or some of the more complex recipes would refresh your champion abilities. Cooking was pretty fun at first, then it got pretty dull when it became nothing but cooking 1 hearty fruit by itself more or less. Would be nice if they had the same heart function as Binding of Isaac and allow extra hearts to be in front of a set of empty red hearts so Hearty items didn't force a full restore.

I like seeing the unique recipes on posters and such and trying them out, but there's never anything spectacular about them that makes it worthwhile.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Crusher posted:

I really wish that an Inn's special bed or some of the more complex recipes would refresh your champion abilities. Cooking was pretty fun at first, then it got pretty dull when it became nothing but cooking 1 hearty fruit by itself more or less. Would be nice if they had the same heart function as Binding of Isaac and allow extra hearts to be in front of a set of empty red hearts so Hearty items didn't force a full restore.

I like seeing the unique recipes on posters and such and trying them out, but there's never anything spectacular about them that makes it worthwhile.

Just in general I think the hearty mechanic is too powerful, they should have just left it out entirely or reduced its effectiveness - both what you said plus vastly reducing its effectively, maybe capping it at like 5 hearts.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

canoshiz posted:

First dragon I saw was Dinraal. I took a picture when I first saw it and read the flavor text in the compendium that said it bears no ill will towards humans, so I went into the Naydra scene with a "wow this is cool and I need to help this thing out" mentality. I didn't really organically stumble upon Naydra, though (having looked up the locations of where to find the dragons to get their scales, but not much more than that), so the experience was a bit diminished in that sense.

I stumbled across Farosh first, on my first trip back to the plateau after managing to make it to Karakiko village. I was heading towards the east side of the plateau during the morning, and saw it flying over Lake Hylia. One of many "What the hell is that?" *SAVE GAME* moments, but it didn't seem to notice me. I didn't try to shoot it until after I'd made my Hateno village run, when it swooped down nearby after my first failed attempt at puzzling through the Ya Naga shrine. I carried the scale I shot off for a /long/ time until I stumbled into where I needed to use it.

Naydra was the /last/ Dragon I saw, because I didn't really start exploring the mountain until I had bought and level-2 upgraded the full set of snow gear. My first attempt, I ran out of arrows, so I went and found some horse archers and exploited them until I had 300 (the original exploit still worked back then) and picked up the Golden Bow, and a bunch of Stamina food, and headed back, and discovered that I only had to score one more hit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really hoping the dragons are gonna be involved in the DLC.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'm really hoping the dragons are gonna be involved in the DLC.

I had hoped you had to fight them as part of a Master Sword quest. Given that the respective fountains reflected the names of the pendants from LTTP, I thought that might have been the case.

I was disappointed when I figured out I was wrong.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Phew! Borrowed a friend's Wii U, bought BoTW, and played nothing but this game for weeks and just beat it. Now I can finally read this thread and actually have someone to talk to about this amazing game. Best game I've played in recent memory, replacing Dark Souls 3. None of my friends have played the thing yet so I don't have anyone to talk to about the game :( , but after finally finishing I'm overflowing:

• Game starts strong but gets weaker as it becomes familiar. This is partly from no end-game and partly because so much of what makes the game good - the aesthetics, the joy of discovery, unraveling the mechanics that control the world - are all present right at the beginning. There isn't much in the game that isn't immediately available, and while that discovery process lasts a long, long time, there's nothing waiting to take it's place.
  • I never knew how much I missed dungeons until they were gone. I've always preferred the exploration in Zelda games and thought of the dungeons as foreboding hurdles I would reluctantly overcome - but without the milestones of long, complicated dungeons to balance out the exploration I found the game robbed of some satisfaction.
  • The 4 "dungeons" the game does have are badly compromised, both by being non-linear (both in their order and their completion) and by just being more like...portal levels? The first dungeon took a long time, the second one less, and by the time I did the Rito dungeon (last) I'm sure I wasn't beating it the right way (flying in and out of random windows and doorways rather than solving any puzzles to work a gondola or whatever. So what if you fall off, you just spawn back again. I dunno, on the one hand I liked the freedom to solve a dungeon "my way" but on the other hand I didn't have anything like the feeling I had doing dungeons in, say, Link to the Past.
  • Best Zelda characterization ever, by far. I was not expecting to get a well written character out of this game but there's this, what would you call it, contrast? between the Zelda you see in the memories and the evidence you have before you in the present. Like, Zelda in flash backs doesn't have any mojo, feels like a failure, is ate up with trying to succeed and getting nowhere. But what happens when Gannon shows up? The 4 champions bite it, even Link falls, and Zelda has to find the strength to deal with him. So the game presents you with the this reality of waking up and seeing that Zelda has been holding Gannon at bay for 100 years, but then all the memories contrast this by showing how everyone - herself, her father, the other champions, maybe even the blank slate of Link if you want to read it into him, all think of her as the weak link of the prophecy- but she was the only one who actually came through in the end. She spent her life worried she'd let everyone down, but in the end it's the once lauded champion now scrambling not to let her down, scrambling to match her heroics.
  • Loneliness. That's another theme that runs through Zelda - she's alone in the present because she's literally physically alone with Gannon, locked in endless psycho-spiritual combat like the God-Emperor of mankind from 40k, but she was alone in her past too, stuck with a problem no one else could help her solve, and expectation she couldn't meet, and even her closest companion offers nothing more than hopefully-supportive silence.
  • I did think it was kind of silly at the end that When it teleported me to Hyrule field it grabbed the horse I happened to have out...a rando equine name Blue I had been riding for all of ~3 in game days. Not "Dekku Nutt", the cute brown horsey I'd ridden for dozens of real life hours, not "Liberty" that I saved from life as a goblin-steed, or even "Royale", the pure-white horse I'd laboriously tamed as a welcome-back gift for the Princess. Nopes, just a rando horse that wasn't even fully tamed and that threw me while dodging pig colossi lasers. It's ok Blue :smith: , I know it was scary (but Dekku Nut would have not have thrown me just sayin`).

Goddamn, what a great, great, great game, there's a thousand things I want to say and hear but I'll stop for now. I mean I know I was somewhat critical just now but they made a Zelda game where I was laughing with delight as my happy apples bounced.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2017

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

Goddamn, what a great, great, great game, there's a thousand things I want to say and hear but I'll stop for now. I mean I know I was somewhat critical just now but they made a Zelda game where I was laughing with delight as my happy apples bounced.

No, continue! I enjoy posts like this!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I thought I might randomly ask a question in this thread. I don't get much gaming time these days so what I do get I want to be fantastic. I only get to play a game or two a year. Recently the games I have loved playing are GTA5, Bayonetta, MGSV, Minecraft, Windwaker HD, The Last Guardian. My son also has really got into Miyazaki movies so I have been watching them nonstop for the past few months. Anyone know of any new game I might like? :v:

Ha. Well, I have been playing this for a while now and it is perfect. My favorite thing so far: It seems quant now, but in LTTP when you finally get to the master sword you have the little animals scurrying in front of you and it makes you feel like you have come to a really special place where the animals thrive. In BOTW when you walk up the hill to the lost forest there are lots of little animals around in the woods... that you hunt down for food. In spite of my son's goading I refuse to kill foxes, squirrels and wolves.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Dad Jokes posted:

Finally got around to doing the Rito quests, and wow, gently caress you Revali, I'm glad I avenged you last.

The lead up to the DB was a bit disappointing. I thought for sure there'd be more, but it's literally do one minigame and you're good to go. Ah well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, Vah Medoh is by far the lamest of the four. It's a shame, because it's easily the coolest looking of the lot, and its gimmick seemed like it should have had more potential. Ah well. When the least satisfying set piece in a video game is "you are debugging an ancient weapon of mass destruction using a paraglider, an ID badge, and a sword" you have still done pretty good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Jack B Nimble posted:

• I did think it was kind of silly at the end that When it teleported me to Hyrule field it grabbed the horse I happened to have out...a rando equine name Blue I had been riding for all of ~3 in game days. Not "Dekku Nutt", the cute brown horsey I'd ridden for dozens of real life hours, not "Liberty" that I saved from life as a goblin-steed, or even "Royale", the pure-white horse I'd laboriously tamed as a welcome-back gift for the Princess. Nopes, just a rando horse that wasn't even fully tamed and that threw me while dodging pig colossi lasers. It's ok Blue :smith: , I know it was scary (but Dekku Nut would have not have thrown me just sayin`).

For me, it spawned the gigantic horse that looks like Ganondorf's horse, who doesn't have any spurs for endurance, so I just jumped off. It must have gotten stepped on 30 times by its old master but kept on charging him while I ran around to hit the pressure points. :kiddo:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
He's got no spurs but he's faster than most other horses by virtue of gigantism

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no idea that was even a thing. I get the feeling I don't actually know much about the game I just beat, that it has depths I could spend another ~month exploring.

I'm curious what people think of the weapon durability mechanic? I think it had an important place in the game mechanics, limiting your exploration and keeping you from getting too comfortable with any one weapon, but overall I'm left wishing they'd done it just a bit differently. Two things I expected to be in the game that didn't happen were the "racial weapons" you gain didn't regen and that you couldn't buy weapons in town. I spent a lot of mental energy in play through trying to keep myself equipped with "civilized" or even "noble" weapons, and I would have invest a lot more time into the games economy if a swing through Hateno village could nab me, say, traveler swords @ $100 each or soldier swords for $300. As it stands I had this weirdly lopsided game experience; at first I was smashing goblins in the face with their own stupid atatls in between ransacking Hateno and Koriko for rakes but then, without even really noticing it, I suddenly had "royal" this and "guardian" that and sadly I think the big difference was that I stopped fighting unless I really had to. I ran away from a lot of enemies unless I had some actual reason to clear out an area, and that's not a decision I wish the game's mechanics had steered me towards.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jack B Nimble posted:

I had no idea that was even a thing. I get the feeling I don't actually know much about the game I just beat, that it has depths I could spend another ~month exploring.

I'm curious what people think of the weapon durability mechanic? I think it had an important place in the game mechanics, limiting your exploration and keeping you from getting too comfortable with any one weapon, but overall I'm left wishing they'd done it just a bit differently. Two things I expected to be in the game that didn't happen were the "racial weapons" you gain didn't regen and that you couldn't buy weapons in town. I spent a lot of mental energy in play through trying to keep myself equipped with "civilized" or even "noble" weapons, and I would have invest a lot more time into the games economy if a swing through Hateno village could nab me, say, traveler swords @ $100 each or soldier swords for $300. As it stands I had this weirdly lopsided game experience; at first I was smashing goblins in the face with their own stupid atatls in between ransacking Hateno and Koriko for rakes but then, without even really noticing it, I suddenly had "royal" this and "guardian" that and sadly I think the big difference was that I stopped fighting unless I really had to. I ran away from a lot of enemies unless I had some actual reason to clear out an area, and that's not a decision I wish the game's mechanics had steered me towards.

I definitely gravitate towards "civilized" weapons too, but the upshot of it ends up being that I'll use the uncivilized ones first and by that point I'll have 6 Royal Broadswords. Also you can get more of the Royal stuff than you can shake a stick at between Hinoxes and Hyrule Castle.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I used whatever the gently caress I found because I had way too much fun chucking weapons into bokoblin teeth, so my weapon inventory cycled a lot. With shields, though, I got real picky super fast because lizal shields are loving ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm still not done with the game, not by a long shot: I've only done two of the four Divine Beasts, but there is one relatively minor complaint that I hope future Zelda games don't repeat: so much of what you discover in the game falls into one of two categories: Korok seeds or Shrines

(Gerudo Desert Spoilers Ahead)

The puzzle at East Gerudo Ruins intrigued me. Seven massive statues of Gerudo warriors, each with a strange symbol somewhere on her weapons or armor. Seven orbs with corresponding symbols, and seven slots arranged like some sort of massive broken roulette table. I had to pen and paper to keep track of which symbols corresponded with which statue, like out of some oldschool NES game. So what ancient Gerudo secret was I unlocking? Would Stallord emerge from the ground for a rematch? Would the ground open up to reveal some hidden Gerudo bunker? ...Nope. None of that. It's another Sheikah Shrine with a 10,000 year old desiccated monk to disintegrate. Oh well.