Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Firos posted:

Can someone post a good smelter layout for me? I am bad at figuring one out on my own :(

I use this layout, which doesn't delay the output inserters unless the belt is saturated.

Basic. Ore on the outermost belts, coal on the inner outside belts. Add power poles to taste.

Once you get electric furnaces just remove the coal belts and move the inserters. Put substations in the free space in the middle.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Firos posted:

Can someone post a good smelter layout for me? I am bad at figuring one out on my own :(

This is the one I use. Once you get steel furnaces in it, the underground belts allow you to fully saturate the output line.

code:
0eNqdm99u6zYMxl/lwNfOgaj/zgPsBXY5HAxp6x0YcJ3AcYYVRd59TnOwBa0kf5+ugqbwTyRFijTFvDdP46U/
zcO0NPv3Zng+Tudm/8d7cx5+Tofx9t3yduqbfTMs/WvTNtPh9fbXMh+m8+k4L7unflyaa9sM00v/T7OXa7v58Hk5Tv3
ur8s8HZ77h2c18Owwnft56eeHxwyy5OthHHf92D8v8/C8Ox3Hx4Xt9Ufb9NMyLEN/V//jj7c/p8vr07rWXnKKt83peF
4fO063pVfUTmzbvK2fbsW/DPO64Mc/P3T7RNUE1cBUQ1A1TLUEVWCqI6gKpnqc2sHQgEMjDI04NMDQDod6GHozP0p1O
JUILDyuhAgsPK6ECCw8roQJLJyKBxYeVoLHFSEpHleEUfG4IvYfjysiBeBhhUeVxqMKPwA0HlT4UaXxmMIPVY2HFH78
azyiiEyliZDCY0rjMUVUABoPKqJa0XhUEZWVwcNK8LgyFWWgvaZAmgeZJMgUK9x8HZmm2UyJnqrxvv+ym/7ukiz3tWT
PF3VpK3kIISVEgDXqthSKpKljydIdopovaGYVrJnf0MwKIowrCaNhYeyWMKxHlxzaEg69JRfizyVvtpg3lwiwM6stZU
hf1iUbI65cOgwd7MlmQy2HOHLJjx3sx25LFNKNQ8HCDvbiuCUV4sTFM9khXtyVALATy5YXO9KLpeTGDnHjYlL3sB/Ll
iN7xJGl5Mke9mTZcmVPurKUfNkzr7u/8p8AHZ//HfsyvfTzz/m4fmbBLg1u/+sdTqfLran5dR3PF246aYfAgyQJiny7
75PeNoXtKIOaDYMeL0vGokExdWLSBEGYOjGN0EQ9liYYoohKEyxeYaQBjqgw0gSP5/I0IOAZOA2IRIZKEzo8QyUBURG
ZIE1gju80QdPHJHBKxoeT/DQOS8ZB7oKt2RcgWvoYAw6f6GiqSlrR02fjJ+l8ihpoqgJ0jtDemPTeJOXsiGMR2JWOOa
kRnlApRqUsCaTsTlPLSHmZfCLrDJ5CEOtYRmxfLbXD0xYitWekdrVbGuBMicgc8bSJ4JjKqdapRSnKq2vdQ5TAFQFgG
1FMMNp6qQ1chkBSM7HoqreUeDmHpMZf1SFcIIwg9Y4diWW6eg8hXvcR6wgTj1Lv2cIkTfH162i8hIXsYxi5q2NI+HrU
INLzBalGsL7u9ibZWREJ/O1NpuUjDxfo6L1JFtVV3ZukddT8rUdOrodLcvTOIovSVXcWGRUNfWeRlcuyFwZZkqu5MMg
o6Nl+f1aqwLbrs6RY067P6Nex7fqcVEbRvfIsSqp65WkNjaY73Vm5DN2nzqJsVZ86oyJ/4kMjZHz/2AKJxAR6khSSlu
8tQ9iOaCQg6ltFdDogoNDTrtCon6bHXSGsYeddIaplB14hqsO7JNBOeXaCFpIysCO0EDXivRZI944dyYUmRxU7kgtRh
R3JhaiaHcmFqAZuLyHb5CzeX4J4jp0YhpT25MQwBA3kxDAEjeTEMATFp1iQPfKKHECGxq+FHECGoBpulUGKG3KeGZLR
kvPMENSR88wQ1JPzzBA04I1BaI8i3BiEcB05bg39KkCx49YQVdhxa4iq2XFriGrwDiWyTcGy49uQlI4d34aoHu8+Qro
Hdhz8i5Q/2vsvCvcPP5hsm/GwUtbvtP32++319dtv99fX8/q/v/v5fL+ctVZbb5UTfb3+C6ty5e4=

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 26, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm excited to try out nuclear power, but the new map interactions make building huge solar fields a breeze. Plop down your blueprints, order up some large electric poles, place down a roboport and radar when you reach the edge of your range, creep ever outward without ever going near the place. It's the best!

Also the best: Barrelling lubricant. No more shall I suffer the tyranny of having to lay out continuous pipe from my refineries to the two recipes that require tiny bits of it.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Belts are not expensive

Belts: having too many is never a problem in this game. The only problem is that you don't have them in your inventory when you need them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This is what I do, with the two outputs merging at the end. Replace the two belts with one and now you have room for electric.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

BabelFish posted:

This is the one I use. Once you get steel furnaces in it, the underground belts allow you to fully saturate the output line.

I use a version of that. Mine:

You can replace the furnaces with electric furnaces when you have them. Blue pulls the ore in, and the long red arms feed the plates into the opposite side. Steel poles power everything when run up the middle. If you need a more output, just put another lane beside it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Successfully automating grenades and turrets is making me way happier than it should. Great design choice by the devs to have all the different sci packs. Really opens up the game.

Plus on-demand explosives to throw around is a nice bonus.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I automated blue science and my factory ground to a goddamn halt. I spent the past two hours learning about belt balancing before loading on a bus. Goddammit. Only now able to reconnect my blue science.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Stick Insect posted:

Belts: having too many is never a problem in this game. The only problem is that you don't have them in your inventory when you need them.

Factorio: Too Much is Never Enough

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This is what I do...at least when I have red belts:

Shown vertically and horizontally for clarity.
I call it the belt MOOOOBIUS! (because I loved New Vegas's Dr. Mobius) though I guess Belt Helix would be more technically correct. Or "Space efficient literal impossibility." With underground belts, yellow/reds/blues will only pull from the same color, allowing you to basically phase belts together. Also works with underground pipes. Ore comes in on the slower belt, and then zooms off to the base or train on the faster belt.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sharing in case anyone wanted ideas for Military Scipacks. Sure mine isn't the most efficient or anything. But it's functional with room to improve.

Took the threads advice and moved gears to the bus. The section for them isn't just for turrets but the belt as a whole.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Hagop posted:

Factorio: the only acceptable ratio is More

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Spaghetti science setups are a nightmare.

It's going to be interesting trying to reorganize blue and gray in a way that doesn't look awful. I'm going to have to actually get off this island first, hopefully before I start needing purple beakers.

Edit: I didn't realize I only had 8 science labs until I looked at that picture again. I now have 10.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Retro42 posted:

Sharing in case anyone wanted ideas for Military Scipacks. Sure mine isn't the most efficient or anything. But it's functional with room to improve.

Took the threads advice and moved gears to the bus. The section for them isn't just for turrets but the belt as a whole.

These ratios are a disaster.

I plan my science so that I'm always producing the same amount per second of each pack, and in the long run it works out. So here's my secret. For every single item you need in the entire chain of science, that number of seconds it takes to craft? That's how many assemblers you need making that (divided by the number of items produced per assembly, science beyond blue makes 2 packs per production). So red science takes 5 seconds, so I have 5 red science assemblers. Green takes 6, so I have 6. Blue is 12, so I have 12. MilSci takes 10 (divided by 2) so I need 5. Grenades take 8 seconds so I need 4 (8/2).

Red bullets take 3 seconds so You need 3. Yellow bullets take 1 second, so 1 yellow bullet assembler can feed 3 red bullet assemblers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Did I mess up my math on the red bullets? I thought I only needed 2...

Edit: Yeah, with 5 gray beaker assemblers, you need 5 red ammo per 10 seconds. One red ammo assembler will make 3.33.. red ammo in that time, so 2 is all you need. Bumping it up to 3 isn't a bad idea since the yellow ammo is just sitting there and having more red ammo is never a bad thing, though.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 27, 2017

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
1 grey science per second consumes .5 red bullets per second, so 2 is enough

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

These ratios are a disaster.

I plan my science so that I'm always producing the same amount per second of each pack, and in the long run it works out. So here's my secret. For every single item you need in the entire chain of science, that number of seconds it takes to craft? That's how many assemblers you need making that (divided by the number of items produced per assembly, science beyond blue makes 2 packs per production). So red science takes 5 seconds, so I have 5 red science assemblers. Green takes 6, so I have 6. Blue is 12, so I have 12. MilSci takes 10 (divided by 2) so I need 5. Grenades take 8 seconds so I need 4 (8/2).

Red bullets take 3 seconds so You need 3. Yellow bullets take 1 second, so 1 yellow bullet assembler can feed 3 red bullet assemblers.

I threw extra red bullet fabs in there on purpose. Plan on using them to fuel a turret wall soon. Ditto on grenades. I have a large scale deforestation project coming up and thats the fun way to do it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Damnit, having to restart my goon island game. Turned out my save got overwritten with a multiplayer save somehow.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

I didn't know that you could order construction in map view within your logistics network. Cool!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Retro42 posted:

I threw extra red bullet fabs in there on purpose. Plan on using them to fuel a turret wall soon. Ditto on grenades. I have a large scale deforestation project coming up and thats the fun way to do it.

You should get rid of one of your yellow bullet assemblers, or slip 4 more red bullet assemblers in there to make the bullet ratios work.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I like that full flying robot automation is now gated behind more, harder research. You can't just make a beeline for it and half-rear end your factory. Now you have to put some serious effort to get it.

Speed modules are a brutal chokepoint for me atm. I never have enough!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How many coal worth of steam fit in a tanker car? This is the worst idea.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Alkydere posted:

Damnit, having to restart my goon island game. Turned out my save got overwritten with a multiplayer save somehow.

Autosaves =/= manual saves. Always make a manual save of your factory when you go do something else / collapse for the night. I do like 'Adventures001' for my first save and then increment it each time I reach a good milestone or stop playing for the day.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I call it the belt MOOOOBIUS! (because I loved New Vegas's Dr. Mobius) though I guess Belt Helix would be more technically correct. Or "Space efficient literal impossibility." With underground belts, yellow/reds/blues will only pull from the same color, allowing you to basically phase belts together. Also works with underground pipes. Ore comes in on the slower belt, and then zooms off to the base or train on the faster belt.

This is the closest thing Factorio has to an exploit. I'm all for getting as compact and efficient as possible, but man this just doesn't sit right with me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I seem to have encountered an annoying Factorio bug: inserters will not remove spent fuel from my nuclear locomotives :(

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:stare: The author of Factorissimo2 seems to have fallen into the "it needs to be BALANCED" trap.

Naturally I discovered this after setting up a bunch of automated processes, so I can't change the setting now. Even the most basic research for it takes 200 red beakers, which is really time intensive for an early game red-only tech.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know how many electric smelters it takes to fully saturate one side of a blue belt?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

LLSix posted:

Anyone know how many electric smelters it takes to fully saturate one side of a blue belt?

As many as it takes to keep 9 fast arms constantly occupied, I suppose.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LLSix posted:

You may find this imgur album of some use. It's a set of v.14 cheat sheet slides.
https://imgur.com/a/MqCd6

From this, we can see the answer is ~35.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Slickdrac posted:

Nuclear reactor to boilers is 1:4, unless you have two side by side, then heat output is double for the number of boilers per reactor (2:16), if you make a 2x2 block, then that's an additional increase of 4 boilers per reactor so you end up with 4:48.

If you make some weird pattern of reactors, then here's simple math

Lone reactor-4 boilers per reactor
Touching 1 reactor-8 boilers per reactor
Touching 2 reactors-12 boilers per reactor
Touching 3 reactors-16 boilers per reactor

In theory if you covered all four sides one reactor could support 20, but you couldn't fuel it automatically normally then.

I think boilers to turbines is 1 per 2 though I'm not entirely certain of that for nuclear.
Do nuclear reactors have to line up as squares or can you honeycomb them 3 : 2 : 3 such that the middle two are touching 5?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ShadowHawk posted:

Do nuclear reactors have to line up as squares or can you honeycomb them 3 : 2 : 3 such that the middle two are touching 5?

They must be perfectly aligned, they must also be placed directly next to each other, you can't leave a space in between and connect it with heat sinks. Tried a couple tricks and variations, but no dice.

So far the ratios I'm seeing for turbines seem to be 7 turbines to 4 boilers. But I'm doing a test on that now with the Creative Mode mod so I can power sink everything and keep things at max.

Edit: The 4/8/12/16 Heat exchanger boilers per reactor x sides touching is definitely accurate, temps are stable. For the turbines, it looks like it's 1 and 2/3rds turbines per boiler at max tilt, I can't get the 2nd turbine off a boiler to exceed 43/60 steam usage. Though even with no power draw, heat is still generated by reactors, so doing 2 or more per boiler would be smart while also making a buffer of steam in tanks to be used for power bursts

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 27, 2017

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

NeuralSpark posted:

I use a version of that. Mine:

You can replace the furnaces with electric furnaces when you have them. Blue pulls the ore in, and the long red arms feed the plates into the opposite side. Steel poles power everything when run up the middle. If you need a more output, just put another lane beside it.

I really like this one for electrics and stones, but how do you get enough iron/copper ore and coal down that single middle line to fuel 24 steel furnaces? I had to use a red belt.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
This game eats days.

Really liking the new science packs. I am close to rocket on my first real .15 factory but there are so many things I want to do differently in a restart. For one, I need to put coal on my main bus, and maybe bricks too, and definitely gears. I don't know why I wasted so much time with localized gear production. Green and Red circuits are still the most persistent bottle-necks late in the game, next go around I am going to produce them before my bus in expandable stacks so I can scale up to the absurd numbers of Reds needed to supply 3rd tier module and high-tech science production.

Also nuclear seems like a bit of a boondoggle unless you are willing to search far and wide for ore patches, or stockpile for a long time until you make it to enrichment tech. I mined out one large (25k+) patch of uranium and got maybe a few dozen usable fuel loads out of it.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 27, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
With a bus, is it good to only add items that you can do two belts of? I am having a hard time balancing one belt items.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's a simple question of math. A blue belt can provide 40 items per second. If you're consuming less than that in total you don't need more belts, you just need more production.

What I'm saying is bus everything.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a simple question of math. A blue belt can provide 40 items per second. If you're consuming less than that in total you don't need more belts, you just need more production.

What I'm saying is bus everything.

Thank you! And when adding an intermediate like gears to the bus, after balancing I need to bend the line to get it on my bus, do I need to rebalance the belt after a curve?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dirk Pitt posted:

Thank you! And when adding an intermediate like gears to the bus, after balancing I need to bend the line to get it on my bus, do I need to rebalance the belt after a curve?

No. It used to be that objects would take longer to go around the outside of a curve, but they got rid of that particular bit of realism a few patches ago so you don't need to do the double splitter trick anymore.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Breetai posted:

No. It used to be that objects would take longer to go around the outside of a curve, but they got rid of that particular bit of realism a few patches ago so you don't need to do the double splitter trick anymore.

I think you've got this backwards - it used to be that both lanes would go through a turn in the same amount of time, which meant that the outside lane would go through at the normal speed but the inside lane would be a bottleneck and slow down the belt's overall throughput. So you'd go to great lengths to avoid having turns.

Nowadays, both lanes on the belt travel at the same speed all the time, so the outside lane takes a bit longer due to traveling further.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I was thinking about such a setup last night when I went to bed, glad that someone verified that it works. Does it work with electric furnaces too, with the powerlines in-between the inserters? That would make for a very compact design. It's probably going to be fixed at some point though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I hope to hell they don't fix the underground belt weaving, I use it everywhere. Almost everything I've built on the dominions4goons server uses that little trick.