Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
With Macrium, what I don't get is how did it clone my entire 500GB HDD in 1 hour, but Windows Backup takes 10 hours.

Intel Optane talk:
It's for people with newer kabylake CPU's and newer mobo's with M2 slots but running old HDD's and not SSD's as it doesn't help SSD's. :raise: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Windows Backup is file level. Macrim, block level. Especially when you have lots of little files live you have in an OS, block level backups can perform waaay better, depending on the underlying storage.

Optane m.2 drives just seem awful. Maybe....if you want to copy a single game to it, it will help? If you really REALLY don't want to throw out your boot HDD, despite all the benefits of going straight ssd?

It is hard enough to think of a non-silly consumer use for the HHHL Optane drive. Throw the capacity and interconnect limitations of the m.2 drive and I'm at loss for even a contrived use case.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 25, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In the comments for the optane articles, people are mentioning how Intel's original released specs have been totally missed. They're being shut down by comments like "Intel didn't specify gen 1" :downs:

Isn't Samsung getting in on a low QD / latency optimised SSD?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

In the comments for the optane articles, people are mentioning how Intel's original released specs have been totally missed. They're being shut down by comments like "Intel didn't specify gen 1" :downs:

Yah Z-NAND which is probably (dunno if this is confirmed haven't been following it that closely) some kind of 3D NAND optimized for low latency.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Potato Salad posted:

Macrium Reflect uses a built-in Windows tech called Volume Shadow Copy Service. Long story short, vss is a tool that lets the system make a block-level snapshot of your disk, frozen in time. Programs that integrate with VSS's orders, like database programs, have a one minute deadline to reach a consistent state.

Once you make that snapshot, future writes are made elsewhere on the disk for later reintegration. Meanwhile, you have a cleanly-bootable set of your volume data frozen in time and no particular rush to back it up. Whatever task you wanted to run, like a Macrium cloning job, can do so at this time. The OS just continues to chug away as normal, merely making sure that any new modifications it wants to make to blocks go in a "For later writing" queue.

When your job is done, vss just re-integrates your queued writes.

This is one way computers make data babies without needing downtime.

Err, let's say I've renamed vssadmin.exe and manually made a task to automatically make System Restore points so in the worst case scenario of a ransomware infecting my machine, it can't hijack the vssadmin.exe to delete all the Shadow Copies. Doing that wouldn't interfere with Macrium's voodoo, would it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Err, let's say I've renamed vssadmin.exe and manually made a task to automatically make System Restore points so in the worst case scenario of a ransomware infecting my machine, it can't hijack the vssadmin.exe to delete all the Shadow Copies. Doing that wouldn't interfere with Macrium's voodoo, would it?

Volume Shadow Services is an API you can call without needing any particular executables. Removing vssadmin.exe does not prevent anything with the appropriate permissions from calling the API directly.

That exe file is just a way to let sysadmins do various common administrative functions without having to write and compile a program themselves. There's nothing magic about it that can only be done with that tool.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 25, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Any bets on how long until they show up in cereal boxes?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-bundles-optane-ssd-with-selected-series-200-motherboards.html

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So back when I first built my system Samsung EVOs were the only SSDs worth getting, but now I'm hearing Crucial and SanDisk are decent consumer picks too? Or are those limited to only specific models.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bundling a tiny little ssd with high end boards just seems silly. like those people are gonna be using quantum bigfoots with the 7700k

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

exquisite tea posted:

So back when I first built my system Samsung EVOs were the only SSDs worth getting, but now I'm hearing Crucial and SanDisk are decent consumer picks too? Or are those limited to only specific models.

Crucial's MX300 is decent even if their support isn't stellar, and the Sandisk X300 isn't being made anymore...but thankfully the WD Blue SSD is the exact same thing. The Sandisk SSD Plus and Ultras are aged and have so many revisions you can never be quite sure which you're getting.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I think the SSD Plus is actually a DRAM-less SSD and really sucks as a result.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crucial's MX300 is decent even if their support isn't stellar, and the Sandisk X300 isn't being made anymore...but thankfully the WD Blue SSD is the exact same thing. The Sandisk SSD Plus and Ultras are aged and have so many revisions you can never be quite sure which you're getting.

Okay thanks, that's what I needed to hear. There's a sale on some Crucial MX300 SSDs on Newegg and I was thinking of picking up an extra one for my system. I wouldn't be putting my OS on it, just games + apps.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Besides being a waste of horsepower, is there anything I should know about using an enterprise SSD in an average joe's PC? I might get my hands on a 785GB Fusion ioDrive2 soon and, while the 500GB EVO 850 I currently have is perfectly fine, I could definitely use the extra storage capacity. Feels a little weird to use such a high-powered drive as a secondary to store games and other random data, though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I too have a hard time wrapping my head around the people defending this consumer Optane turd. If the end result doesn't justify the pricing then whatever cherry-picking of paper spec becomes inconsequential.

Alas, now one more reason to keep money in the bank than dumping it into a PC upgrade.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One other defence is that the actual memory technology itself is faster, but limited by the controller.
If that's the case then I don't see how that's anything other then a disappointment.

I'm more interested in what Samsung do with Z-Nand now. I'm not even bothered if it has NAND levels of longevity, I only care if they get low QD performance and low latency at a good price. And with a higher capacity then an iPad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 27, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's a first productized release of a brand new media that is still faster than the fastest NAND SSDs, that's pretty impressive. Even missing the marketing hype numbers the numbers still look really good. Capacity/cost is an issue, a big one, but the rest looks drat good

Ak Gara posted:

Intel Optane talk:
It's for people with newer kabylake CPU's and newer mobo's with M2 slots but running old HDD's and not SSD's as it doesn't help SSD's. :raise: ?

Why would it not? It's faster than current SSDs and you'll get a performance boost. It won't be as noticeable as with a HDD. The Tom's Hardware review paired it up with a crappier Intel 600p and it got a performance boost. Whether or not you would have just used the Optane cost to upgrade from a 600p to a 960 is a different story. A 512GB 960 was almost twice the cost of a 600 though last I checked. Not sure if you'd actually notice the performance difference in actual usage though

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think the tech will be great. But this iteration of it, with the limited size, is absolutely useless for desktop users.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think the tech will be great. But this iteration of it, with the limited size, is absolutely useless for desktop users.

For the enthusiast crowd that already owns high capacity SSDs, sure. The NAND shortage probably creates a scenario where OEMs probably don't want to buy high capacity NAND drives and this lets them get away with putting Optane in front of a 2TB rotational drive and market it both on speed and capacity. I don't think the caching scenario is as limited in appeal as most enthusiasts believe

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 27, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

It's a first productized release of a brand new media that is still faster than the fastest NAND SSDs, that's pretty impressive. Even missing the marketing hype numbers the numbers still look really good. Capacity/cost is an issue, a big one, but the rest looks drat good

Why would it not? It's faster than current SSDs and you'll get a performance boost. It won't be as noticeable as with a HDD. The Tom's Hardware review paired it up with a crappier Intel 600p and it got a performance boost. Whether or not you would have just used the Optane cost to upgrade from a 600p to a 960 is a different story. A 512GB 960 was almost twice the cost of a 600 though last I checked. Not sure if you'd actually notice the performance difference in actual usage though

Linus did a small performance test with Optane and an SSD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTYSsaNU_A TL;DW, Optane is just as fast as an SSD when used as a Cache, but sometimes slower. Better to save money for an actual SSD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'll be super interested in it when it hits 256GB and the price is good, though. I'm wondering how long that might take, and if Samsung might launch their drive before that point.
I am glad low QD is finally being addressed, I agonized for ages over which NVME drive to get for that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SlayVus posted:

Linus did a small performance test with Optane and an SSD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgTYSsaNU_A TL;DW, Optane is just as fast as an SSD when used as a Cache, but sometimes slower. Better to save money for an actual SSD.

There is a performance difference when accelerating SSDs but as he said it's mostly noticeable in synthetic benchmarks. Tom's synthetic benchmarks also showed an improvement

The real problem I have with it is limiting it to new chipsets and processors. Takes away from the value proposition. But I guess marketing gonna market

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if there is any actual hardware at all limiting it, or if it's just running a version check on the chipset / proc in software.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is it just that it will only act as the cache drive in Kaby Lake? I'm wondering if you can just use it as any other NVMe drive on other chipsets. A tiny drive, of course.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Intel needs to sell Optane to drive the costs down. It's a noble endeavor.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

priznat posted:

Is it just that it will only act as the cache drive in Kaby Lake? I'm wondering if you can just use it as any other NVMe drive on other chipsets. A tiny drive, of course.

Yes and it needs z270. Not all kaby chips support the caching ( o0 )

I'm sure it runs on anything with m2 just as a normal drive.

E- I'm only meaning the m2, no idea about the pcie card version.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

There are three different optane modules. A 16GB, 32GB, and 375GB device. The 16 and 32 are $50 and $80 respectively, which you can spend like $10 more and get an actual 250GB SSD. The 375GB Optane device costs $1,500+.

It does require a 7000 series CPU as well as a 200 series chipset.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

From the looks of it I am guessing that the IRST driver is what requires the 7000 series cpu + 200 series chipset.

I'm hoping if I plug it into other chipsets I'll see the 16/32GB drive. Hard to find a definitive answer on this from the reviews, but we have 3 of the 16GB on order so I will be able to test them out. If it does it'd be great for our purposes but really I don't see what the use case is otherwise if a standalone SSD is better anyway.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If your application is using low queue depths it'll fly.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug
The 32GB Optane drive would probably be quite good in something like an Intel NUC running Linux that doesn't need a lot of storage. Its cheaper than the smallest M2 850 Evo.

Not sure what else I would use one for, though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Macropiper posted:

The 32GB Optane drive would probably be quite good in something like an Intel NUC running Linux that doesn't need a lot of storage. Its cheaper than the smallest M2 850 Evo.

Not sure what else I would use one for, though.

You can get a WD Blue 250GB for the same price as the 32GB Optane. Which uses the same tech as SanDisk's X400 lineup.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wouldn't mind something slower. A slow cheap 5TB SSD for backups. (still with a long warranty) Even the slowest SSD would write backups quicker than the fastest HDD, right?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

I wouldn't mind something slower. A slow cheap 5TB SSD for backups. (still with a long warranty) Even the slowest SSD would write backups quicker than the fastest HDD, right?

Yes, but optane isn't that. Optane is built around being high endurance and high endurance costs extra.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like how WD have a literal rainbow of drives to offer.
Green: super quiet
Blue: Everyday use
Black: Performance
Red: Storage/NAS
Re: Unlimited RAID with 2.75 petabyte writes per drive (Re isn't even a colour!)
Ae: Long term data cold storage
Purple: Surveillance (specialized for streaming to)
Av: Surveillance (specialized for steaming from)

There should be an SSD specialized in capacity and long term storage not transfer speeds/response times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You forgot Gold, and Green is no more -- at least for HDDs. They might be rebranding some SanDisk SSDs as Green.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

SlayVus posted:

You can get a WD Blue 250GB for the same price as the 32GB Optane. Which uses the same tech as SanDisk's X400 lineup.

So should these WD Blues be added to OP?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now that they're just using the x400 firmware outright, yes.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Speaking of HDDs. Western Digital has a 12TB enterprise drive now.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wd-ships-worlds-largest-12tb-hgst-ultrastar-he12-helium-7200-rpm-enterprise-hdds/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hell yeah I worked on that.

Potato Salad posted:

Now that they're just using the x400 firmware outright, yes.
That too.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ak Gara posted:

There should be an SSD specialized in capacity and long term storage not transfer speeds/response times.

Consumer SSDs already are that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Should Macrium Reflect be 900mb in size? Seems huge.