Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Snooze Cruise posted:

homestuck is a failure but i still think its a weird interesting experiment. enjoying it as an actual narrative is kinda crazy.

yeah that's fair.

i liked problem sleuth a lot at the time but i have never regretted bailing on homestuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The great parts of homestuck were the Problem Sleuth characters and the pawns, which kinda shows the flaws of the entire thing because they never were meant to be the focus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So the other day i was looking at my copy of Bubblegumshoe, the teen detective role playing game, and I realized it would be perfect to run Persona in.
It can handle all the school sim/mystery stuff, then you would use another system for dungeons and each players persona (something light and simple) Personas would be level up by leveling up social links instead of gaining EXP in combat, and social links would be incredibly easy to hack in Bubblegumshoe since a good chunk of the game is dedicated to relationships.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

name: ジェフブリッジス
Persona: wolf dog
Bio: President of the student council. hates injustice but also loves using his power to lord over the anime club, making them move rooms and sometimes barging in there himself to tell them that anime sucks and all anime is bad but if they want to watch a good anime for once they should check out cowboy bebop

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Snooze Cruise posted:

So the other day i was looking at my copy of Bubblegumshoe, the teen detective role playing game, and I realized it would be perfect to run Persona in.
It can handle all the school sim/mystery stuff, then you would use another system for dungeons and each players persona (something light and simple) Personas would be level up by leveling up social links instead of gaining EXP in combat, and social links would be incredibly easy to hack in Bubblegumshoe since a good chunk of the game is dedicated to relationships.
I would play the hell out of that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

name: ジェフブリッジス
Persona: wolf dog
Bio: President of the student council. hates injustice but also loves using his power to lord over the anime club, making them move rooms and sometimes barging in there himself to tell them that anime sucks and all anime is bad but if they want to watch a good anime for once they should check out cowboy bebop

this is a really good character

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I would also play the hell out of that, sounds majorly fun!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Hmm that gives me an idea for a new civgamelike.

Except instead of being a civ strategy game, its harry potter themed rpg/strategy.

Everyone is divided into the 4 houses competing to be house point champion.

i have no idea how exactly the mechanics would work but maybe something like players have action points to perform on tasks each day to compete for points,
so if you're like a really good quidditch player or something, and there's a quidditch game for your house you can commit all your 'actions' to winning that game, but players in the other houses decide to concentrate on their studies to win exam prizes later or something, so you have to strike a balance between increasing your own stats and winning points available to you immediately.

i would be dumbledore ofc, probably wouldn't be scum in the traditional sense, but students could do underhanded pranks on people if they can figure out the other house's key roles for tasks.

Possibly set it up so there are secure discords for each house for strategising actions, and one main thread on the forums for performing actions and chatting about things. maybe have a couple of teacher roles that are affiliated with houses in secret but can't go on the discord and have to help their house out without tipping them off, and only win if their house wins.

Have a mixture of scheduled events that players can prepare for well in advance, then randomised events every day worth less points like winning a class duel or something.

hmmmmmmmmm.

not sure if good or bad, would need someone to work with me to develop it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

Hmm that gives me an idea for a new civgamelike.

Except instead of being a civ strategy game, its harry potter themed rpg/strategy.

Everyone is divided into the 4 houses competing to be house point champion.

i have no idea how exactly the mechanics would work but maybe something like players have action points to perform on tasks each day to compete for points,
so if you're like a really good quidditch player or something, and there's a quidditch game for your house you can commit all your 'actions' to winning that game, but players in the other houses decide to concentrate on their studies to win exam prizes later or something, so you have to strike a balance between increasing your own stats and winning points available to you immediately.

i would be dumbledore ofc, probably wouldn't be scum in the traditional sense, but students could do underhanded pranks on people if they can figure out the other house's key roles for tasks.

Possibly set it up so there are secure discords for each house for strategising actions, and one main thread on the forums for performing actions and chatting about things. maybe have a couple of teacher roles that are affiliated with houses in secret but can't go on the discord and have to help their house out without tipping them off, and only win if their house wins.

Have a mixture of scheduled events that players can prepare for well in advance, then randomised events every day worth less points like winning a class duel or something.

hmmmmmmmmm.

not sure if good or bad, would need someone to work with me to develop it.

this but danganronpa

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Birdstrike posted:

this but danganronpa

no!!!!!!!!!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

no!!!!!!!!!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

i love death note

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I used to have a friend who was kind of unstable and super bad for my mental health, and I had to break off contact.

She was also super into Dangan Ronpa. Just sayin'.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
well luckily for oyu i don't write anime games.

Hogwartsgam already has 12 unique statistics, skills and traits, a a quidditch round robin championship table and schedule

i should make it more complex that's too simple tho

im going to drown in spreadsheets and die

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's essentially a private school, so you've got to have some sort of dress code check - which can be translated into the game as the quality of a player posts.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
paging diqnol ~~~

Amoeba102 posted:

It's essentially a private school, so you've got to have some sort of dress code check - which can be translated into the game as the quality of a player posts.

arbitrary points additions and deductions will be a thing, within reason

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The problem Homestuck ran into, as I understand it, is it became too popular. The fanbase went crazy, and Hussie began to actively dislike a large portion of his own fans.

His formspring account he had for awhile was full of spite. It was amusing in it's own way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

has anyone itt played undertale

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nope

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

None of us played it, and certainly none of us spent a couple months obsessed with it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
blundertale

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

I should replay it because it did very little for me the first time around.

It didn't help that I didn't much care for the battle system (Bullet-hells are far from things I enjoy playing.) and I kept feeling it as a knockoff Earthbound. I feel like I missed something there.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

PMush Perfect posted:

None of us played it, and certainly none of us spent a couple months obsessed with it.

yeah same, I spent way longer than just a couple

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

No meinberg, yikes is only appropriate if something is problematic, not just something you disagree with.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Otherwise, it becomes the smarmiest response of all time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

yikes

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

Otherwise, it becomes the smarmiest response of all time.

nice meltdown

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Pinterest Mom posted:

nice meltdown

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

I tried to but got bored halfway through

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Diqnol posted:

I tried to but got bored halfway through

as someone who enjoyed undertale, yeah that's fair.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

is halfway through like half way through the first play through or half way through the other routes?

I got bored after getting two endings, didn't get the other two

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
as someone who almost never rewatches movies, i understand the motivation to replay games even less.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I played it like 1.25 times.

I'd heard about 2 hours in that you could save your cowmom so I restarted the game and went full pacifist from there, even though Flowey poo poo talked me for doing it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean with undertale, there's essentially two different games going on there.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
solium infernum got its launch delayed a bit cause whoops i started playing p5 instead

expect the recruitment thread up tomorrow/saturday!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

as someone who almost never rewatches movies, i understand the motivation to replay games even less.

It's tough for long long games. Sometimes it works when you can play in a wholly different way, but that's rare, and then you realize you probably played it the first time in a way that you obviously enjoy the most.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean with undertale, there's essentially two different games going on there.
Two games with a very similar combat system, to be fair. It's basically a sequel in the same engine, if the sequel got really dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Two games with a very similar combat system, to be fair. It's basically a sequel in the same engine, if the sequel got really dark.

Just what I wanted more grim-dark nonsense.