Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rexides posted:

I was thinking about such a setup last night when I went to bed, glad that someone verified that it works. Does it work with electric furnaces too, with the powerlines in-between the inserters? That would make for a very compact design. It's probably going to be fixed at some point though

You should play the item belting challenge campaign if you think it's going to be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I mean, fix belts so that they don't intersect in physically impossible ways. They should obviously keep underground intersections in general.

e: example:
code:
}  ]    [  {
This is physically possible. The }{ pair is connected on a deeper level than ][

code:
}  ]   {   [
This is just weird.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Or just leave it as it is because it's not the end of the goddamn world

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ambaire posted:

Autosaves =/= manual saves. Always make a manual save of your factory when you go do something else / collapse for the night. I do like 'Adventures001' for my first save and then increment it each time I reach a good milestone or stop playing for the day.

It was a normal save. I had saved the game as "Goon Island" and then gone to play with a friend.

I went back yesterday and my "Goon Island" save had the friend's multiplayer game in it.

Rexides posted:

I was thinking about such a setup last night when I went to bed, glad that someone verified that it works. Does it work with electric furnaces too, with the powerlines in-between the inserters? That would make for a very compact design. It's probably going to be fixed at some point though

You'll have to shift it about for the electric furnaces 3x3 shape but yes, it would work. And no, it's been in the game forever and sure as hell isn't getting fixed. I originally got the idea/design for the belt overlapping in this very forum back when Factorio was on version 0.13.x.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's not an exploit, it's clever use of game mechanics.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, it's not a big deal. Like I said, I was thinking of doing what Alkydere did, but was just wondering if a future patch would render it impossible.

e: Just to be clear, I started playing this game only last week and have no idea for how long interweaving belts have been around.

e2:

Dr. Stab posted:

The second is something you need to do to complete the campaign.

Wow, haha. Yep, definitely a feature then.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 27, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rexides posted:

I mean, fix belts so that they don't intersect in physically impossible ways. They should obviously keep underground intersections in general.

e: example:
code:
}  ]    [  {
This is physically possible. The }{ pair is connected on a deeper level than ][

code:
}  ]   {   [
This is just weird.

The second is something you need to do to complete the campaign.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's not an exploit, it's clever use of game mechanics.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is precisely how the devs feel.

Your dude is able to craft and place a gun-turret that's bigger then him while back-peddling, with both hands full of SMG gunning down a horde of alien wildlife the entire time he does it. Realism is not the biggest deal to the devs.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Physics: you can pick up a locomotive that you're riding in and put it in your pocket.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Now that there's all these train stopping improvements, I kinda wish there was damage to the locomotive when it slams into the end of a piece of track at speed rather than slowing down gracefully.

Also, do the new pumps pump the same amount as the old pumps? Wondering how much I have to change my fluid designs because of them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
No, they pump more. I think it's twice as much?

Edit: Wait, pumps, not offshore pumps. Pumps do more as well, but I don't know off the top of my head how much.

Edit Edit: Pumps are 4 time as fast now. Maybe offshore pumps are as well. They do also show how much they pump when you mouse over them, and machines that use liquids tell you how much they use.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 27, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why am I being attacked in peaceful mode??

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

RyokoTK posted:

Why am I being attacked in peaceful mode??

Did you shoot at any biter stuff? They will engage in self defense on peaceful .

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do they still do the thing where they occasionally dash in a random direction, and if they hit something turn hostile?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Did you shoot at any biter stuff? They will engage in self defense on peaceful .

Absolutely nothing, I've hardly left my base, but I'm still being attacked. It's not as often as if I were playing on regular but I didn't expect to have to build any defenses and so I lost a ton of crap.

e: I even got the achievement for triggering a biter attack by pollution.

e2: Biter bases are also attacking me when I walk by them without me firing a shot, and I used the console to make sure peaceful mode is active, so I don't know. :shrug:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 27, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Sounds like they may have broken peaceful mode? It might be worth checking the official forums, see if anyone else has had it happen.

Now that you don't need alien artifacts to launch a rocket, I turned alien bases off completely. Much easier than peaceful mode.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

Absolutely nothing, I've hardly left my base, but I'm still being attacked. It's not as often as if I were playing on regular but I didn't expect to have to build any defenses and so I lost a ton of crap.

e: I even got the achievement for triggering a biter attack by pollution.

e2: Biter bases are also attacking me when I walk by them without me firing a shot, and I used the console to make sure peaceful mode is active, so I don't know. :shrug:

I had it happen to me

ran this and it hasn't been an issue again:

code:
/c local surface = game.player.surface
for c in surface.get_chunks() do
   for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({area={{c.x * 32, c.y * 32}, {c.x * 32 + 32, c.y * 32 + 32}}, force= "enemy"})) do
       entity.destroy()
   end
 end
Oh, and I disabled their expansion:

code:
 /c game.map_settings.enemy_expansion.enabled = false

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 27, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I had it happen to me

ran this and it hasn't been an issue again:

code:
/c local surface = game.player.surface
for c in surface.get_chunks() do
   for key, entity in pairs(surface.find_entities_filtered({area={{c.x * 32, c.y * 32}, {c.x * 32 + 32, c.y * 32 + 32}}, force= "enemy"})) do
       entity.destroy()
   end
 end

This is what I did too. gently caress it, you don't need purple jelly anymore so I'll just delete them off the planet.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've discovered a grave oversight: there's no uranium axe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jamsque posted:

Also nuclear seems like a bit of a boondoggle unless you are willing to search far and wide for ore patches, or stockpile for a long time until you make it to enrichment tech. I mined out one large (25k+) patch of uranium and got maybe a few dozen usable fuel loads out of it.

Maybe it's because I'm playing on railworld, but the 25k patch I have is literally too small to fit 9 miners on. The patches on the edge of what I could easily handle with tank are upwards of 1mil.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

Once you get electric furnaces just remove the coal belts and move the inserters. Put substations in the free space in the middle.

This furnace setup, by itself, out works anything I came up with running three other furnace areas.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dirk Pitt posted:

This furnace setup, by itself, out works anything I came up with running three other furnace areas.

But it's terribly inefficient, tons of extra space and belt used? Why the splitters when you can just load underground belts directly? Arrrggghhh inefficiency

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It balances lanes a bit, which isn't terrible I guess. But yes, it's inefficient and there's not even space for beacons? I'm the last person to use beacons (modules are crazy expensive, plopping down an extra 3000 furnaces costs about the same amount of materials and effort with blueprints and the new placing blueprints straight from the map), but if you're going to make a convoluted design like that at least make space for the beacons :v:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
any good youtubers doing a .15 run?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Truga posted:

It balances lanes a bit, which isn't terrible I guess. But yes, it's inefficient and there's not even space for beacons? I'm the last person to use beacons (modules are crazy expensive, plopping down an extra 3000 furnaces costs about the same amount of materials and effort with blueprints and the new placing blueprints straight from the map), but if you're going to make a convoluted design like that at least make space for the beacons :v:

Counterpoint: 3000 furnaces are worse with bots. 350 furnaces with beacons and modules are a lot easier on space which allows bots to be more efficient. Efficient is good (only) in the late game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But furnaces use belts, not bots :colbert:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Chakan posted:

Counterpoint: 3000 furnaces are worse with bots. 350 furnaces with beacons and modules are a lot easier on space which allows bots to be more efficient. Efficient is good (only) in the late game.

Why would you be using bots in a furnace rig?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Blue belts only move so fast and at some point you setup everything to be bots because you're going for a more modular and scalable factory.

requester chest> inserter> assembly3/furnace> inserter> passive provider chest

e: I have transcended the concept of a bus, I go from awful spaghetti with yellow belt bus to a clean, perfect factory.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 27, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

any good youtubers doing a .15 run?

KatherineofSky does a very structured 20-30 minute episode length series updated daily. She's got a very Midwestern cat lady vibe. She's got a cool community thing going on and regularly uploads her blueprints strings for use.

ARavingLoon does a more relaxed long play, around 2-5 hour long episodes per week. He's has a much more bonsai tree approach to the game and streams live on hit box on Wednesday.

Also litterally every youtuber that has done a Factorio thing came back for 15.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Foreman doesn't work for 0.15 :( I need my ratio flowchart program, where can I find one that works for the latest version?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Woah, woah, woah... the nuclear reactor needs 40MW to operate? So I've gotta have like 50 conventional steam engines just to jump start this thing? :psyduck:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Woah, woah, woah... the nuclear reactor needs 40MW to operate? So I've gotta have like 50 conventional steam engines just to jump start this thing? :psyduck:

The whole deal with the nuclear reactor seems to be that it requires a massive boondoggle of logistics for serious late-game power generation.
I'm surprised you can unlock it as early as you can, really. There's no way it could possibly be useful when you're still getting to grips with oil and bots. It should require at least purple science, possibly gold.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

super fart shooter posted:

No, it only runs on fuel cells which is where the 40MW comes from.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oh I see. I just noticed that the boiler also has 1.8 MW consumption in it's tooltip, now I get it.

I'm thinking I might not get this thing running for a while, but in the meantime, is there any point to using turbines, heat exchangers, or heat pipes in conjunction with conventional boilers & steam engines, now that I've got all that stuff unlocked?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does the rate at which a uranium fuel cell depletes in a reactor change based on the number turbines or heat exchangers attached?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tenebrais posted:

The whole deal with the nuclear reactor seems to be that it requires a massive boondoggle of logistics for serious late-game power generation.
I'm surprised you can unlock it as early as you can, really. There's no way it could possibly be useful when you're still getting to grips with oil and bots. It should require at least purple science, possibly gold.

I got the research, set up one reactor with 4 heat exchangers and 4 turbines, which isn't even close to max capacity, and it completely replaced my 28 steam engines. Each piece of 235 also gives 10 fuel canisters, and canisters last long enough I'm able to get more 235 than I use. I think it's absolutely worth setting up nuclear power when you get the research.

I'm just a tiny bit sad I'm not pushed to use the nifty solar/accumulator design I put together that uses 100 solar and 84 accumulators in a pleasing look.

Spaseman posted:

Does the rate at which a uranium fuel cell depletes in a reactor change based on the number turbines or heat exchangers attached?

The rate changes based on your power consumption, actually.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 27, 2017

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Nuclear weapons are the goal, nuclear power is just a neat side bonus.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Truga posted:

Most importantly it compresses belts and as long as the output belts aren't backed up there's always room for the output inserters to unload so you never stall the inserters.

And there's room for beacons too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ambaire posted:

You may find this imgur album of some use. It's a set of v.14 cheat sheet slides.
https://imgur.com/a/MqCd6

From this, we can see the answer is ~35.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I don't know if its been mentioned but the stack inserter upgrades are REALLY worth researching as they do give a boost to standard inserters as well. All my fast inserters are able to move 2 items at a time right now which really changes things.