Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
From an enterprise support standpoint, my views are YAY iphones, booooo macs. Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Apple products and Unix in general avoided security problems for a long time as the end user was targeted. As that has changed then the holes in both are becoming more apparent because rather than seeing what was happening to Windows and taking steps to avoid it while it was not an issue it was ignored and now they have the same issue that MS had with Windows a decade ago. Maybe not quite as bad but still a similar situation.

Depreciating OpenSSL helped but I doubt it was done with any kind of foresight to the issues that became apparent later and the usual Apple view of not wanting to support stuff they didn't need to.

There was also a lack of users. As soon as Apple switched to x86-64 and started pushing maintstream products, they became a lucrative target. Before then, most people just didn't care.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Exactly, no point spending the time for only a small % of the user base. An iPhone in theory would be more secure than an Android phone because it is closed. However that has not stopped iPhones from being exploited and in the longer run with more eyes on the Android code it should become more secure.

Now this assumes that Apple are doing more than just token work on security which tbh does seem to be the case and that people finding issues with Android are reporting them to Google and not selling them to the NSA and/or criminal groups.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

PaintVagrant posted:

From an enterprise support standpoint, my views are YAY iphones, booooo macs. Hope this helps

And supporting Android (specifically non-power users) :negative:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

monsterzero posted:

And supporting Android (specifically non-power users) :negative:

True, I was talking as a personal choice. Apple is far and above more Enterprise ready with their phones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Apple products give you pancreatic cancer, SEE Steve Jobs.

Check and MATE

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Android gave my son autism!!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
If you iPhone gets hacked you can fix it by eating raw vegetarian.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Android gave my son autism!!

That was the vaccines and GMO's jerk.
Android just upgraded it to super-autism, or "Goonitis"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Siochain posted:

That was the vaccines and GMO's jerk.
Android just upgraded it to super-autism, or "Goonitis"

oh yeah that's right

it's just a symptom not a cause

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have no regrets.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I have no regrets.

Thats the best way to live. :3:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

cursedshitbox posted:

Thats the best way to live. :3:

quoting for truth. Also, I have an android and iOS phones. Probably a winmo device somewhere in a drawer... Am I sperg king?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beverly Cleavage posted:

quoting for truth. Also, I have an android and iOS phones. Probably a winmo device somewhere in a drawer... Am I sperg king?

Full autist! I have a htc g1 and a CDMA startac downstairs. get on my level you nerds.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, well, I have a bit of string with a paper cup on both ends. :smug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bonus points if someone has a satellite phone just because they think satphones are cool.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I had a Jag XJ8 Sport once that had a Motorola Star Tac in the centre console.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Full Metal Autist

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Full autist! I have a htc g1 and a CDMA startac downstairs. get on my level you nerds.

I'm building a phone using a CHIP Pro.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Bonus points if someone has a satellite phone just because they think satphones are cool.

:smuggo:

Hey i used to live in the desert and go 100mi from fuckall...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Jesus loving christ what the hell did I start?
I'm so sorry thread.

srs tho android4lyfe

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My only input is that Apple had to go from saying "VIRUS-PROOF" to "You'll never get a ~~Windows virus~~ on your imac pro" once their stuff actually got enough market share to be worth writing malware for. Like immunity by obscurity isnt a thing anymore but they still push it as a selling point and I think that's funny.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

I used to have (access to) a satphone.

It was kinda cool to have voice and data everywhere but the 1000ms latency got old quick and because the product cycles were so slow it didn't have wifi, so the whole thing became a bit of a setup to haul around.

Holy poo poo, they still sell it, I just checked. I think it was launched in 2007 or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boring story: several years ago, I didn't like how my phone would append "Sent from my [Whatever] smartphone on AT&T" to my work emails, so I changed it to "Sent from my Iridium 9995 satellite phone" to see who would notice. Only one dude did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bolind posted:

I used to have (access to) a satphone.

It was kinda cool to have voice and data everywhere but the 1000ms latency got old quick and because the product cycles were so slow it didn't have wifi, so the whole thing became a bit of a setup to haul around.

Holy poo poo, they still sell it, I just checked. I think it was launched in 2007 or something.

My parents have Satellite internet at their cabin, and I have a Satcom module for Embedded Development. Its really cool, but the cost and latency makes it pretty worthless.

Like, even sending small text blocks is outrageously expensive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 27, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

My parents have Satellite internet at their cabin, and I have a Satcom module for Embedded Development. Its really cool, but the cost and latency makes it pretty worthless.

Like, even sending small text blocks is outrageously expensive.

They are however, pretty useful if you are on a sailboat in the middle of the Indian Ocean 1500 miles from land, even if downloading a 250mb weather update takes 45 minutes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

They are however, pretty useful if you are on a sailboat in the middle of the Indian Ocean 1500 miles from land, even if downloading a 250mb weather update takes 45 minutes.

Oh, naturally. If I was ocean-going, I'd never go anywhere without some sort of waterproof satellite comm system that included GPS and had solar panels.

Which is one thing I built for a friend: It was in a sealed shell with a solar charging circuit, and had a simple emergency beacon that would upload GPS coordinates to a pre-selected email or SMS address if the button was pushed, but also showed your position on a OLED LCD. So you could float with it, let it charge, and it would beacon out if you needed it to. It didn't do any sort of other comms, you couldn't plug it into your computer, but it was neat idea for rescue/emergency.

You can buy little systems now that do the same thing for far less.

http://www.basspro.com/SPOTGen3-Sat...oductextensions

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 27, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Safety Dance posted:

We've got a sat-phone on site, and a sat-internet backup with a VOIP phone solution as a backup to the backup.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

You can buy little systems now that do the same thing for far less.

http://www.basspro.com/SPOTGen3-Sat...oductextensions

My brother has one of those SPOT things with him when he is out 4-wheeling, as he doesn't like going out with others so is always solo. He takes it for my parents who are paranoid about him being out alone, so he pays for the live-updating and has it wired into both his off road vehicles so that they can see that he's ok (gets back to the air-up/trailer location at the end of the day). It pings regular updates to his position on a map that the folks can watch on their tablets.

They are pretty cool, and it's amazing how cheap they are now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

True, I was talking as a personal choice. Apple is far and above more Enterprise ready with their phones.

LOL WUT iPhones Enterprise ready in any way??? Just no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOL WUT iPhones Enterprise ready in any way??? Just no.

MORE Enterprise ready. Not fully Enterprise ready.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

re:slow cooker chat from a few pages back.
Just prepped a duck leg meal for tomorrow.
Never tried it before - the recipe calls for 340g of goose fat :btroll:

e: I should point out it serves 2

freelop fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 27, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

Also quite a few overlanders use them (you can rent them, I think). I've seen more than one story where they would switch them on in the middle of HotSandyIstan to send a message that was basically "We were at [LAT,LONG] when three Hiluxes carrying members of the local shooting club came into view. If we don't send another message in an hour, er, help".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

re:slow cooker chat from a few pages back.
Just prepped a duck leg meal for tomorrow.
Never tried it before - the recipe calls for 340g of goose fat :btroll:

e: I should point out it serves 2

That sounds decadently tasty.

Also RE: slow cooker chat I went and bought a 4.5L model with digital controls (and I checked that it allows all time settings on both high and low). And then I showed myself to be way too susceptible to impulse purchases, because I ordered a 6L pressure cooker too. Apparently you can make 1-hour pulled pork in one, and I have to try that. And it was on an irresistible sale, ~$75 for a Tefal Secure 5 Neo (whatever that's supposed to signify), which is currently ~$20 less than what the 4L model sells for.

My kitchen will become an arena for the showdown between low and slow in one corner, and FULL STEAM AHEAD in the other :v:

Either way, I'm gonna cook a hell of a lot of extremely tender meat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 27, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

My brother has one of those SPOT things with him when he is out 4-wheeling, as he doesn't like going out with others so is always solo. He takes it for my parents who are paranoid about him being out alone, so he pays for the live-updating and has it wired into both his off road vehicles so that they can see that he's ok (gets back to the air-up/trailer location at the end of the day). It pings regular updates to his position on a map that the folks can watch on their tablets.

They are pretty cool, and it's amazing how cheap they are now.

My parents bought me one and a one year subscription when I started riding dirt bikes since I was usually solo on less traveled trails. Also took it whenever I went up to Tail of the Dragon and mountain street riding. They've probably fixed it by now but the reception on mine was poo poo in the mountains with thick tree cover. Was almost as bad as cell reception at the time but that was 2011 or something. Was cool being able to look back on my route and luckily I never needed to hit the 'oh poo poo' button.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

MORE Enterprise ready. Not fully Enterprise ready.

LOL WUT

Seriously. They are loving poo poo in the Enterprise - anyone that wants a iCrap in this place gets told to gently caress off. You can have literally anything else because literally anything else isnt a flaming ball of complete poo poo that have an ActiveSync implimentation that doesn't just die for no good reason. FFS I'd rather have a BES implimentation than put up with one piece of Apple handheld junk anywhere on the network.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOL WUT

Seriously. They are loving poo poo in the Enterprise - anyone that wants a iCrap in this place gets told to gently caress off. You can have literally anything else because literally anything else isnt a flaming ball of complete poo poo that have an ActiveSync implimentation that doesn't just die for no good reason. FFS I'd rather have a BES implimentation than put up with one piece of Apple handheld junk anywhere on the network.

You are preaching to the choir, but there are features that generally push companies to adopt iPhones like Enterprise controls.

I mean, you realize I fully agree with you, right? Jesus chrirst, chill out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

You are preaching to the choir, but there are features that generally push companies to adopt iPhones like Enterprise controls.

I mean, you realize I fully agree with you, right? Jesus chrirst, chill out.

But you did say that iCrap are in someway enterprise ready. I'm saying they arent at all :p . Plus I just had to take the chance to bash the poo poo out of these loving awful things :D

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

But you did say that iCrap are in someway enterprise ready. I'm saying they arent at all :p . Plus I just had to take the chance to bash the poo poo out of these loving awful things :D

Show us on the toy where the Apple product touched you in the wrong way.

Seriously dude, you need to get over it, Apple products work fine in enterprise/education environments. In fact the Apple SOE my workplace has shits all over the SCCM Windows stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

SIn fact the Apple SOE my workplace has shits all over the SCCM Windows stuff.

Your Windows admin is an idiot if that's even close to true

• Locked thread