Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clearly the solution America needs is the Affordable Tire Care Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bull3964 posted:

The best way to keep unsafe vehicles off the road is to invest in good and inexpensive public transportation.have regular inspections, a proactive traffic police force and confiscation penalties for non-compliance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

Clearly the solution America needs is the Affordable Tire Care Act.

Make America Grip Again

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
This topic is old and tired can we move on

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Elsa posted:

This topic is old and tired can we move on

I think we need to retread the discussion a bit more.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

The best way to keep unsafe vehicles off the road is to invest in good and inexpensive public transportation.have regular inspections, a proactive traffic police force and confiscation penalties for non-compliance

I hate poor people, too :grin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tactlessbastard posted:

This argument is utter horseshit.

Your bank balance - or lack thereof - is no excuse for endangering other road users. Emissions testing etc, fair enough, that's kind of "eh", it's not actively harming anyone directly, but tyres, brakes, lights, and poo poo that's important to vehicle control? You will make sure it's in serviceable condition, or you'll get off the road, and I absolutely do not care what your excuse is not to.

It puts the usable tyres on the rims, or else it gets the hose again.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
I'm guessing that was directed at the dismissal of public transit. America seriously needs reliable subsidized public transit. In most cities living within walking distance of work is very expensive and in rural areas work is often 20+ miles away. I live in an area without inspections and would be happy to have them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's a nice thought, but until it's easy to get from place to place in the country, or even just around a city/town/region without a car, it's really just going to gently caress people over. "oh, sorry, your tires are down to 2/32nds, we're impounding your car. Good luck getting your kids to school tomorrow and then to work." Meanwhile drunk and distracted driving are killing way more people on the roads every year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bibendum posted:

I'm guessing that was directed at the dismissal of public transit. America seriously needs reliable subsidized public transit. In most cities living within walking distance of work is very expensive and in rural areas work is often 20+ miles away. I live in an area without inspections and would be happy to have them.
He was quoting Spog, who was all about the inspections in his comment.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bibendum posted:

If that's my post, then to clarify: I was glibly suggesting that cheap, reliable public transportation will not stop people from driving dangerous shitbuckets on the road since the people driving on bald tyres are doing it because they are assholes, not poor.

I totally agree that the geography of the US means that the financially disadvantaged get screwed by the lack of public transportation.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

slothrop posted:

People mock me for my 2002 grandma Corolla. Guess what, I can afford it. And the service costs.

Sup cheap rear end, give no fucks car buddy. :respek: My Grandma Corolla is a 2000. Is yours beige? Mine is Beige. Or as I like to call it "Old Man Tan"

Tighten up the throttle cable slack and the transmission kickdown cable and you can make it move pretty decently.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/112409-a-guide-to-adjusting-the-throttle-cable/

be glad you don't have a 98 or 99. Those don't have the Variable Valve Timing or Coil on Plug ignition yet.

How often do you have to put oil in your shitbox Corolla? Stupid 1ZZ-FE. :/

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 26, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

Wait, really? I need some fresh summer tires and those came up on tirerack. Hmmm. Probably going to get the tirerack branded te37 knockoffs too.

That's what I've heard from a few places (GRM/MiataTurbo, iirc). I have a set of 255/45 to go on 17x9 RPF1s for the S2000 tomorrow. They run wide. Really wide. Like I measured a set of 255/45 RA1s and they were the same width.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tactlessbastard posted:

gently caress off. Unsafe cars dont belong on the roads, no matter your bank balance. As much as NSW loving sucks for modifying cars, they have the "Get that heap of poo poo off the road" completely right. Too poor to fix it? Don't care. You ain't endangering yourself or other road users. Car not registered? You walk immediatly from the spot you got caught. Car not roadworthy? Refused rego OR get canaried and you walk from the spot you got caught. No excuses on this one.

Public transport isnt good either here but it's not an acceptible excuse.

quote:

it's really just going to gently caress people over

So does having a blowout from a to the canvas tyre and hitting an innocent party.

It's harsh but come on, unroadworthy cars are a danger to everyone on the roads for obvious reason. Unregistered cars means no insurance in an accident.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Unregistered cars means no insurance in an accident.
Don't forget, in America, comedy minimum coverages means even being hit by an insured driver can leave you hosed over financially.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress off. Unsafe cars dont belong on the roads, no matter your bank balance. As much as NSW loving sucks for modifying cars, they have the "Get that heap of poo poo off the road" completely right. Too poor to fix it? Don't care. You ain't endangering yourself or other road users. Car not registered? You walk immediatly from the spot you got caught. Car not roadworthy? Refused rego OR get canaried and you walk from the spot you got caught. No excuses on this one.

So does having a blowout from a to the canvas tyre and hitting an innocent party.

It's harsh but come on, unroadworthy cars are a danger to everyone on the roads for obvious reason. Unregistered cars means no insurance in an accident.

agreed. and it'll be *my* fault when someones ill maintained piece of poo poo kills me on a moto. Can't afford to keep up the maint? loving sell it and get a bus pass.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

PT in every eastern Australian state is loving leaps and bounds ahead of the vast majority of the US my man.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hi don't D&D in here

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Make America Grip Again

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So would retreads (is that still a thing) be the boob job of the tyre world?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Captain Hair posted:

My personal Worst spare wheel location award goes to: Peugeot 306.

15 years of doing muddy lanes, everything underneath the car well and truly seized with mud. Spare wheel is located under the car in a cage, cage is lowered by turning a bolt in the boot.

But not an average bolt. A wierd oval headed bolt with a curved concave slot along its shortest section. Special unique fit for the butt end of the wheel wrench. You're supposed to use it like a screwdriver with the socket end pointed at the sky and the handle slots into the bolt.

Imagine a giant rounded - off flat head, with a bolt style thread and just to make it harder have it be seized up with 15 years of mud as the spare had never even been looked at so the mechanism was probably unmoved since it left the factory.

Add to this that the end of the wheel brace was a bit scraped up from having to lower the vehicle onto it to use its weight as leverage to cracking the wheel nuts free.

Honestly it's like they tried to make the worst fitting interface on something that even when new would have required reasonable force to get free.

Additionally you can force the wrench to fit in the slot sideways rather than pointing upward. But since you're trying to undo a seized bolt with essentially a round tube fitted in a rounded slot, you need a lot of downwards pressure keep it in. Hope you enjoy scraping your knuckles repeatedly across the corrugated boot floor pan for hours as you manage to turn the bolt about 1/8th of a turn per knuckle scrape.

After hours of swearing at it, I managed to get it free like the caveman I am by bending the cage enough to pop free using a large rock I found in a nearby field.

Hah! I'm so glad someone else has had to deal with this bullshit. It really is the worst, even if they put a proper hex head on top it would be so much better, but that weird oval flat-head abomination is about the worst shape possible.

I can't even remember how I got it undone the one time I needed to lower the cage, but I dumped about half a tub of heavy grease on the threads before doing the cage back up. gently caress that noise.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I was driving a friend's Kingswood home for him many years ago, as he had gotten drunk the night before and broken his leg. Anyway, he was notoriously cheap, and had retreads all around ("mate they were $200 for all four corners! Can't beat that!"). The front left delaminated on the highway, and started smacking the gently caress out of the wheel well as I shat myself and pulled over. Crawled home at about 20km/h and told him to stop being so loving stingy.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

Our 2005 with the same engine never consumed any oil.. at least not that I could see. I could never get a straight answer about whether that issue had actually been fixed or if we were just lucky.

Also that color is officially known as "Desert Sand Mica", thank you very much :colbert:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Vanagoon posted:

Sup cheap rear end, give no fucks car buddy. :respek: My Grandma Corolla is a 2000. Is yours beige? Mine is Beige. Or as I like to call it "Old Man Tan"

Tighten up the throttle cable slack and the transmission kickdown cable and you can make it move pretty decently.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/112409-a-guide-to-adjusting-the-throttle-cable/

be glad you don't have a 98 or 99. Those don't have the Variable Valve Timing or Coil on Plug ignition yet.

Mine is Old Lady Silver. I call her Beryl. Manual, natch so she gets about ok. Doesn't seem to use much, if any oil. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the 1ZZ-FE but they all seem to be in the wrong hemisphere?! Might be she's only done 110k km so the issues haven't set in

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DethMarine21 posted:

Also that color is officially known as "Desert Sand Mica", thank you very much :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rPC-yK959s

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
So how much of a dangerous thing was the refurbished tire shop we used to go to? Only $20 a tire and they'd y to match tread patterns!

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

slothrop posted:

Mine is Old Lady Silver. I call her Beryl. Manual, natch so she gets about ok. Doesn't seem to use much, if any oil. I've seen a lot of people complaining about the 1ZZ-FE but they all seem to be in the wrong hemisphere?! Might be she's only done 110k km so the issues haven't set in

Our 1ZZ-FE 'rolla (white, my wife calls it "Lilly")has double that mileage and is still dandy. Only ever had routine maintenance.

I keep looking for excuses to get something more "interesting" but then I remember all the money I don't spend keeping it around as a DD and think better of the idea.

Wife is supplied a new Outlander as part of her package, so we are doing pretty well in the car running cost stakes these days.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

You Am I posted:

So would retreads (is that still a thing) be the boob job of the tyre world?

Boob jobs are bolt ons so that would be outlandish body kits.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

DethMarine21 posted:

Our 2005 with the same engine never consumed any oil.. at least not that I could see. I could never get a straight answer about whether that issue had actually been fixed or if we were just lucky.

If I remember correctly only a certain year range has the piston ring issue because they eventually changed/upgraded them.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I had a dark blue '98 5MT Corolla that didn't lose a drop of oil. That thing ran so clean the oil came out almost the same color it went in after 5000 miles. i miss that car, it was the total opposite of this thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

From the last page but driving around severed halves of cars is a time-honored youtube tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftI4Zj1hpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1IVSBBQIjA

Apparently even Top Gear has gotten in on the action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObY5eaK9e6w

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Don't forget, in America, comedy minimum coverages means even being hit by an insured driver can leave you hosed over financially.

I know car ownership is seriously expensive in Germany but im really really glad that you can't even register a vehicle without proof of insurance. Even my cheap as gently caress basic insurance covers 100 Million Euros worth of damage.
Its also nice that every car has to get a serious TÜV inspection every two years.
I once failed one because the ball joint on the control arm had a bit of play. Of course you bitch and moan and complain when you fail an inspection because of something like that but knowing that every car you encounter has to have at least a basic level of maintenance is kinda reassuring.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Shai-Hulud posted:

I know car ownership is seriously expensive in Germany but im really really glad that you can't even register a vehicle without proof of insurance. Even my cheap as gently caress basic insurance covers 100 Million Euros worth of damage.
Its also nice that every car has to get a serious TÜV inspection every two years.
I once failed one because the ball joint on the control arm had a bit of play. Of course you bitch and moan and complain when you fail an inspection because of something like that but knowing that every car you encounter has to have at least a basic level of maintenance is kinda reassuring.

Too bad people still get their shitheaps through by going to disreputable places doing the inspections.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SEKCobra posted:

Too bad people still get their shitheaps through by going to disreputable places doing the inspections.

Texas used to have two stickers on the windshield of cars. One was your registration, which required proof of insurance to renew, and the other is your annual inspection sticker. They would both have the month and year they're due so that officers can look at them quickly to see if you're current on both.

Now they have the 'Texas Two-Step' which is a quaint, Texasy way of requiring a passing mark on an annual insection to renew registration, and only one sticker. In the past, disreputable shops would get paid a few bucks under the table and give you a new sticker for inspection. Now you have to have your results put into a system that will get pinged when you want to renew registration.

Before this, you could just get a fake sticker and be on your way in your horrible hazard to everyone on the road. Now, if you don't pass inspection, you don't get renewal. What people do now is scrape the registration stickers off and print out a fake paper tag and tape it to the back of their heaps. I've seen tags that say 2011 ford fusion on the back of those banana shaped mercedes cars (CLS?) I've seen fake paper tags taped to license plates. TX law states you have to take your tags off the car at sale, so there you go.

You know when a car has a check engine light that makes it fail inspection because you'll see paper tags on ancient shitheaps like early 2000's hyundai accents with 4 different body panel colors.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah theres always ways around the TÜV if you know a guy who knows a guy.
But its also not THAT hard to pass the inspection.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

From the last page but driving around severed halves of cars is a time-honored youtube tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8utZ6zCVu9U

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Enourmo posted:

Don't forget James Bond!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvQK4TqkeRM

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Enourmo posted:

That's not exactly what I meant by 'drag race'.

Did someone already post in here about the F-16 crash in MD?
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/military-says-mechanical-failure-likely-cause-of-f-16-crash/428956746

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-aircraft-down-20170405-story.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enourmo posted:

David's Farm had one that he actually put a single strut and wheel in the back so it was pretty functional. Still did reverse wheelies, but not as painful on the landings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlvQgngq90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Probably not engine related or I probably would have heard something at work about it by now.