Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I hope that chair was like $150.

Yep these are $150 chairs.

New page so here's a picture of a record:

Boinks fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ras Het posted:

Oh yeah the Spirit of Record Collecting is definitely in paying over twenty bucks for a Record Store Day Special Edition of some generic 70s B-movie trash and then being like "wow the poo poo you come across when hauling those crates... mate, those dusty basement feels"

[in insanely normie voice] have you heard of Serge Gainsborg

If this thread has taught me anything, the true Spirit of Record Collecting is being as cynical and non-inclusive as possible about it. Everyone is doing it wrong

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't think we need to be inclusive about pointless consumption to be fair

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I wasn't being snarky at all. There's no way that's more than $10 worth of records.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Ras Het posted:

I don't think we need to be inclusive about pointless consumption to be fair

Your pointless consumption is some other bros score of the decade

e: To be clear, I ain't defending that dumbass Japanese sex sounds record or whatever it is

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Barry posted:

Your pointless consumption is some other bros score of the decade

e: To be clear, I ain't defending that dumbass Japanese sex sounds record or whatever it is

Most of what I listen to is equivalent to Japanese sex sounds for normal people, it's buying records in general that is the pointless consumption

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Barry posted:

If this thread has taught me anything, the true Spirit of Record Collecting is being as cynical and non-inclusive as possible about it. Everyone is doing it wrong

it's not wrong to do something like a total goober but it's also not wrong to laugh about it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

A human heart posted:

eventually someone is going to reissue switched on bach as a rsd special and everyone in this thread will lose their minds at how weird it is

I bought a copy at Goodwill and inherited another copy from someone else's collection. I would be interested in Carlos's other stuff, though, I seem to recall a lot of it being out of print.

Lungs
Dec 20, 2005
Some Discogs stragglers and some gets from the flesh world. Strongly considered dropping 50 snots on a copy of 'Thriller' by Lambchop today but just couldn't do it. Was cool to see it in the wild and seemingly it's a decent price for it, but gently caress spending that much on a record. I've done it once and still feel like a bit of a dick about it.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Allen Wren posted:

I bought a copy at Goodwill and inherited another copy from someone else's collection. I would be interested in Carlos's other stuff, though, I seem to recall a lot of it being out of print.

I got a copy at an Op Shop, and a Japanese Quad pressing from my favorite record shop for :10bux:.

Now to find a quad setup...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know about Switched on Bach, but I can guarantee every single record collection will have a copy of the Clockwork Orange soundtrack.

Can't wait for that RSD 2024 rerelease on orange vinyl!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

gently caress Switched On Bach, I want the Peter and the Wolf 'Weird' Al/Wendy Carlson collab reissued.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Allen Wren posted:

Her records sold fucktons of copies and are pretty easy to find and rarely cost more than five bucks. Most of them were released under her dead name (Walter).

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
There's a charity shop in the next town over to me and they've had a copy of switched on Bach priced at at £18 for two years now. Its just one of many dime a dozen records they've priced at their highest sold statistic on discogs.

I was met with scorn when I said their pricing was way off and that they'd never shift it. I assume they thought I was the kind of person to try and haggle/rip off a charitable organisation.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mystery Steve posted:

There's a charity shop in the next town over to me and they've had a copy of switched on Bach priced at at £18 for two years now. Its just one of many dime a dozen records they've priced at their highest sold statistic on discogs.

I was met with scorn when I said their pricing was way off and that they'd never shift it. I assume they thought I was the kind of person to try and haggle/rip off a charitable organisation.

A lot of people think that any and all records are priceless collectables for some reason. Hilariously, it's usually middle aged people.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
I know a store owner who deals with crazy-rear end sellers who expect bonkers money for dumb poo poo (US DSoTM, Thriller, etc etc) by offering them every copy he has at 1/4 the seller's asking price.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I got an Audio Technica turntable for my birthday and so begins my journey into the wonderful world of vinyl. I know this is probably super boring to most of you seasoned veterans, but I went and bought what I consider to be must-haves to start my collection off right. Ended up getting Dark Side of the Moon, Thriller, and Abbey Road and I can't wait to get home and listen to them tonight (actually listening to the records??? Yah I am crazy).

Edit: ^^hilarious two of the records I bought were two mentioned in your post.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MrSargent posted:

I got an Audio Technica turntable for my birthday and so begins my journey into the wonderful world of vinyl. I know this is probably super boring to most of you seasoned veterans, but I went and bought what I consider to be must-haves to start my collection off right. Ended up getting Dark Side of the Moon, Thriller, and Abbey Road and I can't wait to get home and listen to them tonight (actually listening to the records??? Yah I am crazy).

What model Audio Technica and what are you pumping it out to?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lp60 lmao

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

A lot of people think that any and all records are priceless collectables for some reason. Hilariously, it's usually middle aged people.

People just assume old = valuable. I used to work at an auction place and people would be forever bringing in lovely furniture and saying "It's old! It was built in the 20's! You could get a hundred bucks for that." Most of the time it was just a few broken chairs and a very chipped table with deep deep gouges on the surface. Even if it was built then, and by someone who knew what they were doing, it's in such lovely condition the only thing you could do with it is take it to landfill.

But yeah, the record buyers/sellers were the worst. The Beatles are the most well known band on earth and their records were mass produced, your water damaged copy of Sgt Peppers is worth nothing, not 30 bucks. It's always Beatles records too, always.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

MrSargent posted:

you should have bought some noise records instead of that old people phony baloney

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Boinks posted:

What model Audio Technica and what are you pumping it out to?

I have the AT-LP120 (link below)
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/

I am pumping it out to my powered monitors right now, KRK Rokit 6's (using a phono pre-amp in between).

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 27, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

revmoo posted:

lp60 lmao

Got one, it's cheap, it works, plugged into a nice 80's receiver with built-in pre-amp. :shrug:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Grabbed a couple of records from a store in Denver that had a decent R&B selection but very bad electronic music selection:

This is in incredible condition and probably Yanni's best album

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

MrSargent posted:

I am pumping it out to my powered monitors right now, KRK Rokit 6's (using a phono pre-amp in between).

That should sound pretty good.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrSargent posted:

Ok good you got the good one.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Mike_V posted:

Grabbed a couple of records from a store in Denver that had a decent R&B selection but very bad electronic music selection

Which one did you go to?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

savesthedayrocks posted:

Which one did you go to?

Twist & Shout I think, the one next to a book store.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Mike_V posted:

Grabbed a couple of records from a store in Denver that had a decent R&B selection but very bad electronic music selection:

This is in incredible condition and probably Yanni's best album

good poo poo mike

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Twist & Shout I think, the one next to a book store.

Yup thats the one. Next time go to Wax Trax WAY better than twist and shout.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
http://imgur.com/a/csSZd

Gallery of my records taken with my lovely phone.
NSFW probably. Breasts on some of the art and some people get squeamish about that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

those boobs look fake.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:argh:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

is that torn label pressed into the grooves? drat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I recently got these. I don't usually get 45s but these sound great.

One on the right doesn't fade out, though. Sort of gets to the end of the track, jumps slightly, repeats the last snippet of it then cuts out. It's a bit odd.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mace Bacon posted:

is that torn label pressed into the grooves? drat.
It's all in the deadwax so I don't mind too much. Plus it makes my copy distinct and therefore collectible.

...is what I'm telling myself because I keep looking at it and it bugs me

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

It's all in the deadwax so I don't mind too much. Plus it makes my copy distinct and therefore collectible.

...is what I'm telling myself because I keep looking at it and it bugs me

My goondolences to you.

I found a copy of TMBGs self titled debut today. Thanks Rocking Horse Records in Brisbane!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Iam8bit is doing two Persona 5 soundtrack boxsets. Preorders are up soon:

https://store.iam8bit.co.uk/products/persona-5-vinyl-soundtrack

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

No one has uploaded pictures of that release to Discogs yet.

You should use yours and share the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recently got these. I don't usually get 45s but these sound great.

One on the right doesn't fade out, though. Sort of gets to the end of the track, jumps slightly, repeats the last snippet of it then cuts out. It's a bit odd.

You can probably fix that with an exacto knife