Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

JHVH-1 posted:

The more a company relies on e-mail for communication the less I would want to work for them.
People always say this but they never have a better option.

I'll head two options off at the pass. Tickets are for tracking work not communicating, and chat/messaging isn't good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

I archive each year to its own pst despite having a relatively sparse email box.

e: oh yikes not so sparse

Lol mine is like that but like 6GB/year instead of a couple hundred MB

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd love working with us then - where the preferred method of communicating is to pester people by phone or insist on face-to-face meetings :suicide:

That reminded me of the one thing I hated more than e-mail being used for everything.... stupid bridge calls everyone had to sit on till an issue was solved. Just so some manager can ask the status and update his managers every 15 minutes while he played with his kids at home.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

People always say this but they never have a better option.

I'll head two options off at the pass. Tickets are for tracking work not communicating, and chat/messaging isn't good enough.

Chat/messaging does do a decent job of reducing the amount of chaff you get.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

adorai posted:

I have 44k messages in my outlook inbox a d it runs fine.

I guess things have improved.. The last version of Outlook I had any experience with was 2003 and 2007. And they most definitely did not.

We scrapped Outlook some time ago obviously.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vargatron posted:

We've got a really bad cultural issue at my job with lack of ownership. I make everybody make requests in writing and through e-mail so that I have a record of what they wanted and what we actually did to get them working. Our sister plant in Mexico is notorious for not responding to information requests for 3 weeks and then escalating the situation to top management because of "lack of support".

What do you do with your ticketing system then?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RFC2324 posted:

What do you do with your ticketing system then?

E-mails to the helpdesk address automatically creates a ticket and appends new information to this. The problem is, people try and sidestep the ticketing system altogether via phone/skype messages and I have to go NOPE.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A warning for all of you guys who work at a company that has European clients, especially if it's b2c - GDPR is going to be a clusterfuck so give your company a heads up and ask for a budget for it.

If you work for a European company and you haven't heard of GDPR well good luck

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

I guess things have improved.. The last version of Outlook I had any experience with was 2003 and 2007. And they most definitely did not.

We scrapped Outlook some time ago obviously.
Only having information that is literally 10 years old is a very good reason to not share it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sanity check:

company1.com O365 is quarantining certain e-mails from company2.com, also on O365
the e-mails getting quarantined are from automated systems that use an on premise smtp relay

Would the spf record need to include the ipv4 address of the relay server in addition to the include: entry for O365?

ex. v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com ipv4:216.58.216.142 -all

I think yes, co-worker says that isn't necessary because company2's on prem relay is listed as a connector in O365.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The on-premise relay should relay through Office 365, listing it as a connector doesn't mean anything special unless it's using that connector. I've never understood the TechNet recommendation to put the public IP address of the site into the SPF record if you are using Office 365 as the relay, and I've never done it.

What's the reason given for the quarantine?

I assume company1.com and company2.com are completely separate Office 365 tenants?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The on-premise relay should relay through Office 365, listing it as a connector doesn't mean anything special unless it's using that connector. I've never understood the TechNet recommendation to put the public IP address of the site into the SPF record if you are using Office 365 as the relay, and I've never done it.

What's the reason given for the quarantine?

SPF failure. The e-mail headers show the originating IP as the public IP of the relay.

quote:

I assume company1.com and company2.com are completely separate Office 365 tenants?

Yes. But company1 is a sub of company2. I work for c1, and don't have direct access to any of c2's equipment, but can talk to people that do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think the relay is relaying in that case. Might just be the SMTP server configured for direct delivery.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think the relay is relaying in that case. Might just be the SMTP server configured for direct delivery.

That's basically what we just figured out. Anything addressed to our domain was being delivered directly, the SPF error was kinda a red herring.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

JHVH-1 posted:

The more a company relies on e-mail for communication the less I would want to work for them.

You would love our client that uses E-Mails sent by their booking website exclusively, even though the vendor actually added booking functionality to the website so they can look up all booking requests. This ended in them threatening to sue us (their MSP) and the vendor unless we split the damages or something. Lo and behold, both companies told them to stick it.
Also, their customer never even got a booking confirmation, so I really don't see how they can talk about having losses, if the dude booked a holiday through their website and never received any confirmation he can't seriously try to then go on that holiday... right?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

orange sky posted:

A warning for all of you guys who work at a company that has European clients, especially if it's b2c - GDPR is going to be a clusterfuck so give your company a heads up and ask for a budget for it.

If you work for a European company and you haven't heard of GDPR well good luck

Wild card: Brexit
gently caress knows what we're going to be doing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sitting on our hands for two years and putting investments on hold.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I brought up IM to staff and they're all for it. I need to choose between Slack, Spark, and Cisco Jabber tied in to CUCM. Slack's the cheapest, Spark is most robust for remote integration, and Jabber has a great feature-set to tie into phones, with a single up-front cost.

From an administrative perspective, which is going to be the easiest to control, help users with, and resolve requests from managers?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I brought up IM to staff and they're all for it. I need to choose between Slack, Spark, and Cisco Jabber tied in to CUCM. Slack's the cheapest, Spark is most robust for remote integration, and Jabber has a great feature-set to tie into phones, with a single up-front cost.

From an administrative perspective, which is going to be the easiest to control, help users with, and resolve requests from managers?
I'd vote for Slack, unless you really need to use XMPP or for it to be hosted on-prem.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Slack, provided you do the correct thing and go SSO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If Slack is the cheapest option then Cisco must be absolutely taking the piss with their prices

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Skype for Business!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I like Hipchat and Slack almost equally. I like Hipchat's easy integration with Atlassian stuff and it seems better at sending you notifications when things happen. Slack polls like every 15 minutes so you don't seem to get a mobile alert or even the e-mails right away.

Currently using Slack with my team but the company also has that Cisco Jabber thing and I haven't seen anyone actually use it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

If Slack is the cheapest option then Cisco must be absolutely taking the piss with their prices

Well, for SSO it's the same between Slack and Cisco.

$12,000 a year for 80 users is a tough pill to swallow for IM though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JHVH-1 posted:

I like Hipchat and Slack almost equally. I like Hipchat's easy integration with Atlassian stuff and it seems better at sending you notifications when things happen. Slack polls like every 15 minutes so you don't seem to get a mobile alert or even the e-mails right away.

Currently using Slack with my team but the company also has that Cisco Jabber thing and I haven't seen anyone actually use it.

Get hit by this at all?
https://blog.hipchat.com/2017/04/24/hipchat-security-notice/

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Haven't used hipchat since I left my last job so I hadn't really been aware of it. I guess security issues come as part of the price of using a hosted service. Slack had its fair share for a while, and I would be surprised if Microsoft's Slack clone Microsoft Teams is completely immune to it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It would be useful for us if Slack offered an on-prem hosting method or control over geographic location :( Until then it's SKYPE FOR BUSINESS gently caress YEAH

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JHVH-1 posted:

Haven't used hipchat since I left my last job so I hadn't really been aware of it.

Okay, I was just trying to get a feel for how widespread it actually was. They say the majority of their users were fine, and I've not talked to anyone actually affected (because I can't find anyone affected), so it seems like they did a good job.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

we got this and that same day some rear end in a top hat bragged in a meeting that it allowed him to reset his same password :shepface:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Skype for Business!

I hate you.

Half the SfB clients I've been testing just poo poo the bed today with absolutely no indication why. They just freeze up and you can't exit. You can kill the process but when you try to relaunch it just dies. Only happens when a client is signed into it. Fresh reinstall they can sign in just fine. If they close it (either quit or minimize) and then try to reopen it shits the bed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How does one manage Sharepoint permissions and still maintain their sanity?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

How does one manage Sharepoint permissions and still maintain their sanity?

Alcohol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get someone else to do it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Personal skype :getin:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Slack is by far the best because it gets adoption from every org. It's pretty much just irc but it's pretty enough that your non-tech departments will use it.

By god does it suck down resources though. gently caress electron so much.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jaegerx posted:

Slack is by far the best because it gets adoption from every org. It's pretty much just irc but it's pretty enough that your non-tech departments will use it.

By god does it suck down resources though. gently caress electron so much.

This is really what I'm going for. I need org wide adoption across multiple sites, so if it's not easy or pretty or fast it's going to starve.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is really what I'm going for. I need org wide adoption across multiple sites, so if it's not easy or pretty or fast it's going to starve.

Then use slack.

Everything else sucks for what you're asking for.

Or Microsoft Teams! :thejoke:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JHVH-1 posted:

Slack is fantastic with intergrated webhooks, because you can use a channel as a place to barf out automatic script results for everyone to see.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The source code for DikuMUD is open source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Surely in TYOOL 2017 you should at least run Circle?

Edit: or maybe ROM?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 28, 2017