Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Here's a Daytona in profile, close by no cigar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

e:^ didn't see the new page! :argh:
No way that's a daytona, it's all wrong.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Looks kinda like a Ferrari 365 GTC/4 but the b-pillar doesn't quite match up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I found it. I'll spoiler my response in case you still want to challenge yourself, but would appreciate a hive mind c/d of my guess. I only came up with it because I was remembering all the really obscure European makes I could think of checking.

Bitter CD

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

I think I found it. I'll spoiler my response in case you still want to challenge yourself, but would appreciate a hive mind c/d of my guess. I only came up with it because I was remembering all the really obscure European makes I could think of checking.

Bitter CD

I think this is correct, actually.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

Bitter CD

That looks pretty drat good based on the general vagueness of the first pic. Never would have guessed that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm inclined to agree, it's certainly the closest suggestion so far.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

All of these are pretty close but not quite there, though I'd say Daytona is the most likely candidate so far. Could also be a kit car of course that doesn't fully recreate the original, making this quite difficult to figure out. Unfortunately I only saw it at the last moment before the green light hence the single lovely photo.

Where was the photo taken? I'm not sure I know the car in traffic ahead of it...

E: slidebite got it. Character crease is right, windows are right, same rear overhang.

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 26, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Huh, I didn't even know that "manufacturer" existed. Good find, it sure looks like it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Agreed.

Also, obscure enough I've never heard of them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Here is a video about them from the guy that helped design it
https://youtu.be/l9dxf7utTjQ

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If it's not an Espada (and the nose makes me think it is) then it could well be that Bitter CD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Espada was my initial guess too but the vent is missing.

Motherfuck, that's got to be it! That's some awesome detective work, I don't think I've ever seen one IRL and never would've guessed it.

Seems like you can get one in Germany now 50k or so. They also made this :krad: 80s SC model based on the Manta which is also way more affordable:

glyph posted:

Where was the photo taken? I'm not sure I know the car in traffic ahead of it...

E: slidebite got it. Character crease is right, windows are right, same rear overhang.
Prague. I'll save everyone the trouble of guessing this one too, as I'm quite certain it's one of these atrocities (wrong thread etc):

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 27, 2017

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
let's keep the guessing game rolling. Here's one I found somewhere I won't admit!

Lookit those bulges!

slothrop fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 27, 2017

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Might want to blur out the name on the fender of that one! Interesting car though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

stump posted:

Might want to blur out the name on the fender of that one! Interesting car though.

ugh, do I gotta do everything around here? valid point

The more I look at it the more I'm weirded out. Side pipes. Needs fender flares to cover those tyres. Why the aerial there? Why the wipers coming out of the vents?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

slidebite posted:

Here is a video about them from the guy that helped design it
https://youtu.be/l9dxf7utTjQ

It's a weird sensation learning about a sexy car I've never even heard of before.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slothrop posted:

ugh, do I gotta do everything around here? valid point

The more I look at it the more I'm weirded out. Side pipes. Needs fender flares to cover those tyres. Why the aerial there? Why the wipers coming out of the vents?

The side exhaust and the weird, almost dirt track style cut rear wheel well definitely have my intrigued. What's going on there?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://channel23news.com/2017/04/east-haven-man-arrested-for-driving-sk-modified-on-highway/

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Boo this man!

Also, gramatically, did he modify it on the highway?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
‘The Barn Find of a Lifetime’: Two matching cars, window stickers still attached, gathering dust for 30 years, and sequential VIN #’s too.

Buried beneath dust and old leaves, a couple of Buick Regal Grand Nationals, test driven only, never purchased, the sticker still in the window.

And here's the kicker.

The vehicle identification numbers, or VIN's, are in sequence.

http://kfor.com/2017/04/19/the-barn...tial-vin-s-too/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

What a patriot :patriot:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also, gramatically, did he modify it on the highway?

A "modified" is a class of car for circle track.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lime Tonics posted:

‘The Barn Find of a Lifetime’: Two matching cars, window stickers still attached, gathering dust for 30 years, and sequential VIN #’s too.

Buried beneath dust and old leaves, a couple of Buick Regal Grand Nationals, test driven only, never purchased, the sticker still in the window.

And here's the kicker.

The vehicle identification numbers, or VIN's, are in sequence.

http://kfor.com/2017/04/19/the-barn...tial-vin-s-too/

I don't get why this matters. "These cars...they're...brothers."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I don't get why this matters. "These cars...they're...brothers."
It kind of has significance if you take both, I suppose, but yeah, it's not really much more than "oh, cool, I guess".

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

It kind of has significance if you take both, I suppose, but yeah, it's not really much more than "oh, cool, I guess".

It's kind of a cool story, which probably adds some value for a certain segment of collectors, but yea they would need to keep them together for that.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Another racecar being built by a local shop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I truly don't get the appeal of Grand Nationals.

I mean yeah okay some versions were pretty powerful for the time -- which isn't really saying a lot, because that was the era of early smogged 350ci V8s wheezing out like 180 horsepower. And man are they unattractive cars.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

I mean yeah okay some versions were pretty powerful for the time -- which isn't really saying a lot, because that was the era of early smogged 350ci V8s wheezing out like 180 horsepower. And man are they unattractive cars.

I think it's one part rarity, one part TURBO

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crustashio posted:

Another racecar being built by a local shop:

lord watch over those who, while not worshipping at the alter of the one true God E30 (may worn RTABs bless his name), skip straight across The Three Series That Shall Not Be Named to the E46.

Sagebrush posted:

To a certain extent, their mere existence - as a 6-pot turbo being the top of the performance tree in ~*MURICA~* - earns them their shot at the title.

Also the capacity of those engines to make :staredog: outputs.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I'll fight you over this. The g body is one of the last greatest general motors platforms. Also g body shuffle. It's really an awesome car for the time and sure didn't put down big horsepower numbers but man did it shoot my little kid self into the plush seats.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Sagebrush posted:

If you wanted a fast quarter mile car in 87, you bought a turbo 6 Buick. They're big angry slabs that sound like banshees when you mash the gas pedal and I loving miss mine so much

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vmUH9dZd4

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^fuckin owns and i dont even really like metal any more

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Bitter CD

drat you. I just spent a couple of hours looking at images and reading about Bitter. Now I want one. that's a good looking, understated car. The SC as well.

Sagebrush posted:

Not just pretty powerful. The GNs could pretty much spank a Corvette of the time, and still had usable rear seats. Lots of folks like G-Body GMs just for last of the RWD V8 GMs, and, personally, I like the square-ish styling. They built a lot of G-bodies - parts are cheap(ish) and available.
The Grand National is pretty much the pinnacle of G-body. Actually, the GNX is, but it's limited production. The GN is also GM actually trying something different for once, with a turbo V6, and they did it well, for a change.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You ain't fuckin' metal 'til you've got a clutch pedal.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

The GN is also GM actually trying something different for once, with a turbo V6, and they did it well, for a change.

If I ever have access to a time machine, I'm going to somehow get GM to put the GN Turbo V6 in a Fiero.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

slothrop posted:

let's keep the guessing game rolling. Here's one I found somewhere I won't admit!

Lookit those bulges!

Interest seems lacking so here's the big reveal:

Torino 380w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

boxen posted:

If I ever have access to a time machine, I'm going to somehow get GM to put the GN Turbo V6 in a Fiero.

They took 1500 surplus GN engines and put them in Trans Ams in 1989, is that close enough?