Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I can see that nobody is actually going to actually step up and justify the Ninjaboy mudslinging and I can safely disregard any opinions from anyone doing so. Fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Cheez posted:

I can see that nobody is actually going to actually step up and justify the Ninjaboy mudslinging and I can safely disregard any opinions from anyone doing so. Fancy!

People confused Ninjaboy with Nimono, because of similar name starts, and the fact that Ninjaboy possibly abused save states without disclosing that and it may have inflated some of his scores. There, that's what's going on.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

This is going in circles. There's no point to any of this.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, you can definitely see judging fatigue set in if you read the judges' comments, as well. After that many levels I think it's inevitable, but even so, it just makes me stop caring what levels are actually ranked as, which as a non participant is fine but...

I'm not sure where the judges' comments actually are, as I only read them on raocow's forum, or I'd link them

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Cheez posted:

So you can safely ignore half the commentary in the videos then.

Ninjaboy is the source of almost all the controversial level rankings. Nimono is much less so, and the stage he's talking about is possibly the largest one. We haven't gotten there yet but there's apparently a massive misplacement in the best world caused by ninjaboy's style of judging. A LOT of people have brought up the fact he literally ignored difficulty in his judging due to savestates, and the fact he did it all in one sitting and got MUCH more lenient as he went on (which is why the vldcx entries were randomized before Vitor sent them to judges and they're only judging the levels in small groups at a time)

So I guess we'll see as the LP goes on. I might start posting some of the judge commentary when FP posts videos so there's some context to scores and placement.

Edit: Hell, just for my point

Here's the scores for Flash Back. Look at this poo poo:

Nimono
DESIGN: 5/30
CREATIVITY: 13/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 28/60
Tough level. A jump before the midpoint is very, VERY tough to make since there's no indication where the ground is, even with coins like every other area... And that's pretty far into the level! On top of that, the level is a marathon, and the Key location is very obtuse, as is the Keyhole. Who would think to bring them BACK through the level...?

ninja boy
DESIGN: 26/30
CREATIVITY: 20/20
AESTHETICS: 10/10
TOTAL: 56/60
This is an amazing level which challenges the player to take it slow and remember the surroundings. The only problem I had with it is going up the note blocks near the end since some of them become unreachable once they hit the left hand wall making you fall all the way down to start again.

Eternity
DESIGN: 15/30
CREATIVITY: 17/20
AESTHETICS: 7/10
TOTAL: 39/60
If this was done with just two colors it would probably work out a lot better, but right now it just involves way too much waiting to be fun. I'm not particularly against slow paced levels, but this one is just dragged down a lot by how it was done. It's particularly bad in the layer 2 sections later on (and even more in the blue note blocks part). The idea certainly has a lot of potential, but right now I don't think it was executed very well.

Koopster
DESIGN: 1/30
CREATIVITY: 10/20
AESTHETICS: 1/10
TOTAL: 12/60
Yeah, as blunt as this sounds, this gimmick flat out doesn't work. My biggest issues in the first half (which is about where I played without savescumming) were the blind drops and then that insane spin-jumping section where you also have to race the P-switch. The second half seemed to be doing better with the disappearing cement blocks, but then you added in more sections with layer 2 shenanigans and it just felt it would never end. The amount of attention, memorization and luck this requires is insane and just drained all the fun from me. That's really unfortunate; I think if you had designed this a LOT differently, this gimmick might have worked, but as-is, this is a no-no! :< Also, I have no absolute clue how I am slightly supposed to figure out that secret exit without peeking in Lunar Magic.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 28, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How long does it take to put the collab hack together? I'd imagine making drastic changes to the overworld and messing with ASM to increase the level count and file size would take up some time. Not to mention organizing the levels into worlds and everything involved in designing the overworld in the first place.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It takes a pretty long time. VLDC9 came out a bit before VLDCX started, so almost a year. It's due to a combination of all the judging, getting the levels together and remapping everything to fit, and they've been holding Overworld contests to decide what the overworld looks like for the collabs.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

With how insane the vldc9 overworld is, seeing 10's might be what I'm most hyped about

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Didn't the overworlds themselves take up most of the time? I remember them announcing the thing was finished and then... several months later the OWs were finally finished. Don't remember exactly how long, but it feels like >3 months.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That time while the OWs were being worked on was also assuredly time spent compiling all 100+ levels together into one rom. It's not an easy feat, especially when you have as many people as SMWC does creating levels with custom assets. And don't forget there's also beta testing to make sure it all works properly.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When is the next contest? I made a few levels back in the day I've been looking for an excuse to tweak them and get them out there.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

On a different score-related note, can someone point me in the right direction for finding that Techno-Athletic track in Triangle Dimension?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

This is what I'm looking for, yes. It's nice when someone shows the rest of us what the grounds are for things like this. It's more information than just "he uses savestates and ignores the difficulty" provides.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cheez posted:

This is what I'm looking for, yes. It's nice when someone shows the rest of us what the grounds are for things like this. It's more information than just "he uses savestates and ignores the difficulty" provides.

I don't know why you need people to exhaustively defend their gut feelings to you. Several people consistently find his ratings to be too high. Why do you need charts and citations for that. Are you ninja boy?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

liquidypoo posted:

Man, I'd hate to be the guy that has to follow that sick burn. Wait.. no, no!

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 12 - Ultimas Up Your rear end :siren:

Today, instead of having a calm chat with Espers, they actually burst out of their realm and set Vector on fire. Ladybrand destroys my sanity with humming.

Oh poo poo they give you a shortcut out of the Esper cave after that cutscene? I always just popped a Warp Stone immediately after getting control back.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

I don't know why you need people to exhaustively defend their gut feelings to you. Several people consistently find his ratings to be too high. Why do you need charts and citations for that. Are you ninja boy?

Namecalling on that level kind of requires something to back it up when there's someone else who's been explained to have flat out lied, the worst thing you can do as a judge, and gets a very lenient treatment. I'm sorry for not being crazy enough to let the double standard slide.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cheez posted:

Namecalling on that level kind of requires something to back it up when there's someone else who's been explained to have flat out lied, the worst thing you can do as a judge, and gets a very lenient treatment. I'm sorry for not being crazy enough to let the double standard slide.
Yeah, it's you who is the normal one for demanding someone deliver arguments for the tone they choose when commenting on something on SA which a LPer comments on in a video which is drama that happens in a completely different forum. I'll aquiesce your demand, though: you're a loving idiot, and I'll back it up with the post I just quoted.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

Pal, you really don't need to defend anybody's e-honour here. This is a dumb dead internet comedy forums, not national television. Nobody's going to get hurt by goons not liking their judgement calls.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Having weird freakouts in this manner over this sort of thing is Cheez's entire gimmick and you should probably just ignore him.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Let's stop this before it goes further.

I'll put up the next update tomorrow to space things a little better as I approach finals. In the meantime, where's the next episode of Eris? I was really enjoying the playthrough!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FPzero posted:

In the meantime, where's the next episode of Eris? I was really enjoying the playthrough!

This but FF6 Brave New World

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

C-Euro posted:

This but FF6 Brave New World

Sorry. :(

Finals next week, then I'll have all the free time in the world (until August, that is).

(I'm also a bit salty that I hosed up saving once I got to the scenario-select screen, so I have to get back there.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

Let's stop this before it goes further.

I'll put up the next update tomorrow to space things a little better as I approach finals. In the meantime, where's the next episode of Eris? I was really enjoying the playthrough!

Oh yeah, I was doing an LP in this thread. :v:

Seriously though, work has picked up the pace lately, plus I started replaying Exile 3 in my spare time. But, just for you, I spent a couple hours mashing out another update!

Part 3: Poor Life Choices

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I find myself with two major questions after this update:

(a) what actually opened that door? (as in, what is the event trigger, since I didn't see anything obvious)
(b) Is the Grapple Beam normally this unreasonably effective a weapon? I don't follow SM that closely, and I've never really see it used this way in speedruns... but speedruns seem to mostly skip the grapple beam entirely. Is it outclassed as a weapon by the time you normally get it?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

ManxomeBromide posted:

(a) what actually opened that door? (as in, what is the event trigger, since I didn't see anything obvious)
(b) Is the Grapple Beam normally this unreasonably effective a weapon? I don't follow SM that closely, and I've never really see it used this way in speedruns... but speedruns seem to mostly skip the grapple beam entirely. Is it outclassed as a weapon by the time you normally get it?

As for (b), in the base game the grapple beam is a niche weapon, but can be a very useful one in a couple of rooms. There are several enemies specifically weak to it, especially in Maridia, as well as most of the infinite-spawner enemies (whose drops you can then grab with the grapple beam). Most things that are actually hurt by the grapple beam die in one hit. There's also a special kill available for Draygon by having it grab you and then grappling a broken turret in the room to fry it (at the expense of some of your own health). The grapple beam is still a somewhat lackluster weapon because it can only have the one projectile out at once, it can be a bit tricky to hit with, and it can't really go through walls or hit enemies off-screen, in addition to the fact that it just can't really hurt most of the enemies that aren't specifically weak to it. It really is meant more as a mobility tool; there's basically nowhere in the game where it's all that useful if you have good command of your other tools, and it's a bit out of the way, so I suspect only %100 routes or weird challenge routes would bother with grabbing it at all, and even then it rarely sees much use outside of maybe tagging a couple of enemies or refilling from the enemy generators.

A fair number of rom-hacks try to make the grapple beam much more important because it normally sees so little action, with wildly varying success. Often it's just not fun wrestling with the grapple beam's limitations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The grapple beam is still a somewhat lackluster weapon because it can only have the one projectile out at once, it can be a bit tricky to hit with, and it can't really go through walls or hit enemies off-screen, in addition to the fact that it just can't really hurt most of the enemies that aren't specifically weak to it.

It's also a bit awkward to use as a weapon because the length of the beam depends on how long you hold the fire button down. If you tap the trigger you'll get little sparks just a few pixels long.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ManxomeBromide posted:

Grey doors open under one of two circumstances: either you kill everything in the room (not possible in that room, as it has an infinite crab generator), or you kill a boss in the same area. In Eris, all the bosses are in the "same area" because it uses a single map for the entire game, but it's not unreasonable for a player familiar with the game engine to think "okay, I just killed some bosses, I should go check that door again." Off the top of my head, the only uses of this trigger in the vanilla game are for the boss's treasure rooms (Kraid's Varia, Draygon's Space Jump, Ridley's energy tank, etc.), "re-enabling" doors in the Wrecked Ship after Phantoon dies, and to enable a shortcut and access to plasma in Maridia after Draygon dies. Note that for that latter, the game forces you to go past the now-unlocked door on your way out, which lessens the "spooky action at a distance" effect.

The grapple beam is either amazing or useless, because the things it hurts always die in one hit (excepting the Draygon script kill), and as a corollary, the things it doesn't hurt take no damage from it whatsoever. Most small enemies can be killed by it; conveniently, they're also the most common enemy type in the early game. And since you start with such an underpowered main weapon, compared to the health that enemies have, the grapple beam comes in very handy for the early game. Notice how it took four uncharged Spazer shots to kill one crab.

Some hacks modify the Grapple Beam to cause it to deal thousands of damage to Samus if she hits a vulnerable enemy with it, presumably because the game would be too easy otherwise. :negative:

EDIT: incidentally, the Golden Torizo fight can be a pain if you don't cheese it. The bridge I walked across while first entering the room is made of "destroyable by enemies" blocks, which means that GT will turn the nice flat arena into a series of pits with lava in them. It's far from an impossible fight, primarily because (as you probably notice) GT doesn't have its beam spam attack, so all it can do is try to walk on you or throw item orbs at you. I probably should have fought it fairly, but I stumbled onto the staircase cheese and couldn't bring myself to not use it.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 29, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

According the map of Eris that you can find online (spoilers obviously) the area we're in is called The Church. Makes sense considering that bottom room with the seated Chozo is supposed to be the main place of worship. The map is actually really cool because the hack author, DMantra, created names for every single room in the hack, like a Metroid Prime game does with its rooms. And when you play the game and have the map open, you can start to see why some of the room design looks the way it does. Even though Eris has some problems with difficulty and unclear direction at times, I've always admired how uniquely alien the game looks and seeing the room names makes me appreciate how well he managed to fit the room design to match the names in many cases.

That said, I wish the palettes were better in places. I was bored just now so I opened up the game in the editor and played around with the palettes in the landing site. I've done this a little before but I never saved my work so I messed around with them again and here's two comparison shots.

Original:

My recolor:

Eris's room design looks good but its palette design has always looked haphazard, like it was thrown together with no sense of understanding basic gradients and that's bugged me for years. I won't be doing this to the whole game because there's a lot to alter and it's slightly time consuming, but I think he could have had a game that was both palettes well and alien by design if he'd put a little more effort into it. Unless the bad palettes are supposed to help convey the alien-ness of the world, but I still think they look sloppy.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This is a much better way to make a color-shifting level. Though, outside of the color shifts the level doesn't have much going for it. It's a pretty basic castle level.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I really enjoyed that minor key remix.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

One of the hills on the lower-right part of the screen winks. It's cute, I like the moustache hills.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked the part where a tricky grinder was protecting an alcove with three question mark blocks in it and all they were were coins.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I am so very glad we're out of Abstract World. It started well, but the last few videos have been downright painful.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That fire flower seemed a bit pointless. Did you even get to hit anything with it?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PurpleXVI posted:

That fire flower seemed a bit pointless. Did you even get to hit anything with it?

A football :downs:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The fireflower's just an extra hit really. Having a cape would offer similar protection but give you the extra air control that the designer might not want.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well in SMW the fire flower is an extra hit, but then you have to catch the mushroom off the top of the screen, which in some of these romhack levels isn't exactly possible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bet it felt pretty good to roast that bloodthirsty football though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That last level should have been called "Mario Getting Hit By Football."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

He'd've had a fireflower much earlier if he didn't keep jumping into footballs. There were plenty of powerups throughout that level, that was just the last one.

Ninjis would have been better than footballs though.

• Locked thread