Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

gas ghouls

Ghouls are people too :godwin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

I'm a high school senior. I'm what you would call a mischievous student. I bought a magnet. It's a pretty big magnet. Pretty cool looking magnet. Pretty loving strong magnet. I brought said magnet to school. I showed all my friends. Wed a little "Test Your Strength" booth that the security guards took part in. Point was to take it off a locker. Fun stuff. I had the magnet in my hand. I should've had it in the cardboard protective wrap. I walked into English Class and went straight to my teacher's desk to ask a question. I forgot I was holding said magnet. Said magnet jumps out of my hand and attaches to the drawer. All metal in the drawer jumped to where the magnet was stuck. There were CDs in the drawer. The stuff that flew must've scratched and cracked some CDs. CDs were unreadable. I was laughing too hard to take it off the desk. The substitute teacher was too weak to pry it off. He called maintenance to remove the magnet. Then security to remove me. I now have a Saturday School Detention and am facing a suspension for "destruction of property." I feel bad so I'll replace the CDs.

TL;DR: Don't bring a magnet to school.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Makes up a story about wrecking poo poo with a magnet, doesn't even know that magnets gently caress up CDs and assumes they must have gotten cracked somehow. Even ten year olds know you don't put magnets near CDs or computers.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Even ten year olds know you don't put magnets near CDs or computers.

magnets dont gently caress up cds.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Do they not? Why would my grade five IT teacher lie to me!

e: do they still gently caress up floppy discs at least

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Apr 28, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do they not? Why would my grade five IT teacher lie to me!

e: do they still gently caress up floppy discs at least

Yes, they affect HDDs and floppies because they use magnets to mark the 1s and 0s. And so another magnet would just wipe that information like an eraser.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
A CD is a piece of plastic with valleys etched into it to denote 1s and 0s and is not magnetic in any way

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My world is falling apart around me :(

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Pacemakers get turned off by magnets, as well.

But assuming a 10th grader knows this is giving too much credit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Zipperelli. posted:

But assuming a 10th grader knows this is giving too much credit.

I learned about pacemakers not being around microwaves thanks to the Simpsons.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

whether or not this is stdh I can't read that garbage start-stop-start-stop writing style

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But magnets don't gently caress up cds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Most of the first paragraph was pretty believable and then it just dove off a cliff into "adult trying to write like a wacky kid" territory.

"Witch would pass a spell checker. I'm so smart." -- tumblr author

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

So, if it's widely known what MLMs are, and how much of a scam they are, why do people still buy into that garbage?
I think it's not as widely known as you think tbh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

loving magnets, how do they HNNNNNNNNNGHH-----------

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
They just had to add the poo poo cherry on top of that stdh sundae with the "they had sex too lol what a bunch of sluts" bit at the end.

Plus I highly doubt poison ivy is even physically capable of doing that. Even if you soaked the car in concentrated extract of whatever the poison stuff is in poison ivy, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't just evaporate within an hour.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

They just had to add the poo poo cherry on top of that stdh sundae with the "they had sex too lol what a bunch of sluts" bit at the end.

Plus I highly doubt poison ivy is even physically capable of doing that. Even if you soaked the car in concentrated extract of whatever the poison stuff is in poison ivy, I'd be surprised if it wouldn't just evaporate within an hour.

Urushiol is actually some pretty nasty stuff - it can take 50 micrograms of purified urushiol to induce a rash, which means even brushing against a leaf can be enough. Coating a surface that someone's going to grip firmly would definitely do something, as long as they're not immune. It's also an oil, so it lingers for quite a while - it's generally not safe to touch even a dead vine, unless you know it's been at least a year, preferably several. (I live in an area with a ton of poison ivy - both plant and vine - so I know most of this from personal experience!)

The story still didn't happen, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah it's just a random quirk that humans are hyperallergic to it too - there's essentially no other animal that is.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

jet fuel doesnt gently caress up cds.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it's just a random quirk that humans are hyperallergic to it too - there's essentially no other animal that is.

Most humans. Not all. I'm immune. Maybe as many as 30% are, apparently.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doesn't it take at least two days to show symptoms? So the story is doubly bullshit with it happening overnight.

It's also not an ivy. And given that it's an allergic reaction I'd say it's not even poison. loving plants.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerry Cotton posted:

loving magnets, how do they HNNNNNNNNNGHH-----------

they don't gently caress up cds

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sebmojo posted:

they don't gently caress up cds

OK hear me out I just had this idea that's going to make millions: make pacemakers out of CDs!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Doesn't it take at least two days to show symptoms? So the story is doubly bullshit with it happening overnight.

It's also not an ivy. And given that it's an allergic reaction I'd say it's not even poison. loving plants.

Nah, you can have a rash in the evening if you went out in the afternoon. This one is technically possible, but it seems unlikely anyone posting sweet-rear end revenge stories on tumblr could identify a poison ivy plant, much less locate one in the wilderness. Plus they had to go for the extra gusto, and make fun of the ~*Awful Sex Havers*~. Trying to show that people different than you are bad/worse is a common theme in these stories.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I think the unspoken point of the story is that the writer is not a Sex-Haver and is mad at the Sex-Havers for being Sex-Havers, so now they deserve poison ivy rashes--a thing that, if this weren't STDH, would be unreasonably cruel to do to anyone no matter what they did to you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Me too, which led to an awkward moment with a friend after we were out hiking.

(The next day my phone rings. It's my friend Wally.
"How you doing today?"
"Fine. What's up?"
"You son of a bitch."
Turns out at one point we were climbing up the side of a steep hill and grabbing on to pretty much any apparently well-rooted plant life to help. Wally figured he would grab what I grabbed, as I had previously been a state of California trained brush firefighter.
It looks like I had grabbed poison oak at at least one point during the ascent.)

FAKE EDIT: I REALLY am the STDH!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Initial immunity generally isn't permanent (unless it's acquired through working in a cashew factory or something like that) - repeat exposure generally increases sensitivity.

My grandfather had a patient who was immune to poison ivy up until the point he proved it to his friends by eating a leaf. :ohdear:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I think I've seen this one before, but a friend on Facebook just shared it. drat, I thought he was better than this.

quote:

As the dad explains on Not Always Right, he took his son shopping to buy birthday presents for a girl in his class. They got her a wand, tiara, and jewelry for her to play dress-up, so while waiting in line the son put them on and pretended to be a queen. Unfortunately, that was just too much for the jerk in the next line over.

Son: *in a “posh” voice* “I’m the Queen and I say this line should move faster!”
(I and a few others smile at his playfulness when a man in line at the next till yells at me.)
Man: “You can’t let your son do that. If he turns into a f****t it’ll be your fault.”
(Everyone stops and stares at him in horror whilst the cashiers call for a manager.)
Son: “What’s a f****t?”
Me: “It’s a nasty word that only nasty people use so you mustn’t say it.”
Man: “It means gay, kid.”
Son: “What’s gay?”
Man: “It means you’re bad and going to Hell for being evil.”
Me: “It’s when a man loves a man and a lady loves a lady.”
Son: “Oh, like Uncle James and Uncle Ian?”
Me: “Yep, just like Uncle James and Uncle Ian. They’re not bad, are they?”
(My brother is a paediatric oncologist and his partner is a paediatric nurse. We’ve tried to explain what cancer is and how my brother and his partner make children feel better when they’re poorly.)
Son: “My uncles make children better when they have poorly blood and poorly bones. If you make them go to Hell that means you want the children to be poorly.”
(The manager and a security guard turn up but my son looks this man in the eye and holds his stare.)
Son: “Do you want the children to be poorly? Do you want them to be sick and have to go to Heaven?”
(Everyone is now staring at my son. The man has gone red and is looking around.)
Manager: “Sir, I believe you’ve just been outwitted by a child. You should leave now and keep your disgusting views to yourself and out of my shop.”

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Tunicate posted:

Initial immunity generally isn't permanent (unless it's acquired through working in a cashew factory or something like that) - repeat exposure generally increases sensitivity.

It's the same with bee stings. People think that you build up a tolerance by becoming exposed to it more but it's the exact opposite. A sting can go from a mild annoyance to a severe medical problem.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

EVG posted:

I think I've seen this one before, but a friend on Facebook just shared it. drat, I thought he was better than this.

Yeah no one is this attentive when a child tells a story. Even if the child meant to lay down some sick burns. All that would come out would be awkward poorly formed words and the adults would barely pay attention. Never mind that this story requires knowing background information to even get the burn.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Also NOBODY TALKS LIKE THIS outside of poorly translated anime.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Who says "are poorly" instead of like "are feeling poorly" or "their health is poor"? Is that a british thing or just dumb kid talk (not that those things are mutually exclusive)?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Who says "are poorly" instead of like "are feeling poorly" or "their health is poor"? Is that a british thing or just dumb kid talk (not that those things are mutually exclusive)?

British thing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's just a British thing. It sounds very affected if you're from like anywhere else. Source: I have a shitton of tiny British cousins and they sound like teenage girls doing terrible twee Harry Potter/Charles Dickens impressions all the loving time, it's bizarre

e: rest of it is bullshit though obvs

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Apr 29, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, it's just a British thing. It sounds very affected if you're from like anywhere else. Source: I have a shitton of tiny British cousins and they sound like teenage girls doing terrible twee Harry Potter/Charles Dickens impressions all the loving time, it's bizarre

I figured. It was just really jarring to read, like they aren't finishing the sentence. I feel the same way when they do that ", that." sentence ending.

In any case, it still didn't happen.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I like how a security guard and manager show up to deal with the guy before the conversation is over, and the manager had enough knowledge of the conversation to be able to say what he did.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Catberry posted:

It's the same with bee stings. People think that you build up a tolerance by becoming exposed to it more but it's the exact opposite. A sting can go from a mild annoyance to a severe medical problem.

I think part of it is people mix up building up a pain tolerance with building up a tolerance to being allergic to something.

The "Suddenly, you're allergic!" lottery is a rare but annoying part of being alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
shit_that_didn't_happen.txt: Sir, I believe you’ve just been outwitted by a child