Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm not keen on replaying games, specially 100 hours games so I guess when I talk to Triss I'll just rebuff her.

It's not exactly min-maxing but if I'm going to go through this once I'd like to at least have a chance of seeing the best endings. I can youtube funny stuff another day.

Smol posted:

Thanks for the info. Holy moly I didn't quite realize the game was 42GB. I guess I'll have to wait a bit before starting. :v:

Edit: One more thing: is controller or keyboard/mouse the way to go?

One thing, most people will advise you to keep dodging and pay no heed to defense. While that's the best strategy, specially when you get a certain ability later, I'd add that holding your defense button/key and dodging will help a novice player that's still not used to the flow of the game. Maybe throw a Quen too.

Aside from that, do every quest you can, even the ones that you wouldn't do in a normal game because of the questgiver being an rear end in a top hat, more story is always better in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Your romance choice doesn't affect the ending, outside of one of the ending slides and a conversation in Blood And Wine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

unless you marry greg the ekimmara

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

One thing, most people will advise you to keep dodging and pay no heed to defense. While that's the best strategy, specially when you get a certain ability later, I'd add that holding your defense button/key and dodging will help a novice player that's still not used to the flow of the game. Maybe throw a Quen too.

Aside from that, do every quest you can, even the ones that you wouldn't do in a normal game because of the questgiver being an rear end in a top hat, more story is always better in this game.

I'm not sure what you mean by defense button. You can hold a block but that's lovely and mostly worthless except against a few humanoids. What's much better is counter-attacking, with KB/M that's just right button by default, an enemy will start a swing and their nameplate will flash, tap your block button when their nameplate flashes and you will parry and counterattack them. Actually holding block will just get you ruined 95% of the time don't do that. Counterattacking is very good against humanoids, less so against monsters, most monsters you should dodge or roll from their attacks. Counterattack also trivializes fistfights, you just wait until your opponent winds up for a big haymaker, counterattack and land a couple punches of your own, repeat.

Generally here's what I'd recommend for combat:

Apply relevant oil
Cast Quen
Engage combat, maybe throw a bomb or sign
Get in two quick sword strikes, maybe three if you're greedy
Roll/dodge away, repeat

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 27, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

uh the nameplate flashing thing means to tap block not attack, and geralt will play an animation countering and everything. the rest of what you said is correct though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also coming out of something like dark souls/bloodborne the invincibility frames on the sidesteps are ludicrously generous and you can functionally be invincible, if unable to retaliate, by sidestepping repeatedly

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 27, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Pellisworth posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by defense button. You can hold a block but that's lovely and mostly worthless except against a few humanoids. What's much better is counter-attacking, with KB/M that's just left button by default, an enemy will start a swing and their nameplate will flash, tap your regular attack button when their nameplate flashes and you will parry and counterattack them. Actually holding block will just get you ruined 95% of the time don't do that. Counterattacking is very good against humanoids, less so against monsters, most monsters you should dodge or roll from their attacks. Counterattack also trivializes fistfights, you just wait until your opponent winds up for a big haymaker, counterattack and land a couple punches of your own, repeat.

Generally here's what I'd recommend for combat:

Apply relevant oil
Cast Quen
Engage combat, maybe throw a bomb or sign
Get in two quick sword strikes, maybe three if you're greedy
Roll/dodge away, repeat

I should've added that blocking was useful against small critters, specially the early ghouls that tend to surround you, don't try to block a Gryffin or anything :v:

Geralt also seems to - sometimes randomly - block attacks from the back and block multiple opponents - like in an Arkham game - but it's definitely not something to rely on, dodging is better all the way. It's just a sort of crutch you can rely in the first few hours while you're getting used to the gameplay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eh, I don't know about Demons Blood Souls but I like the combat and would describe it as fluid.

Technically exact button presses may not give you that 100% marionette control but it's hardly necessary. Don't counter cut drowners if you find it doesn't work. Or cast quen for a safety net and counter cut even if it's a risk.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

uh the nameplate flashing thing means to tap block not attack, and geralt will play an animation countering and everything. the rest of what you said is correct though

Yeah my bad I edited my post. You tap block when the nameplate flashes. Don't hold block preemptively.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Eh, I don't know about Demons Blood Souls but I like the combat and would describe it as fluid.

Technically exact button presses may not give you that 100% marionette control but it's hardly necessary. Don't counter cut drowners if you find it doesn't work. Or cast quen for a safety net and counter cut even if it's a risk.

the biggest thing, and it's been touched on but i think not explained clearly, is geralt can basically randomly decide to do a big leaping twirling flourish when all you wanted was a quick poke, and not being able to control that is important when him taking the time to do a big song and dance number between swings could mean getting instagibbed

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but you can cancel out of attack animations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah but you can cancel out of attack animations.

Yes, but that's an extra step that in a perfect world would not have to be taken. This is a minor nitpick, since that is all w3 leaves us to argue about.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

W3 combat could use some work but taking lessons from dark souls is not what should happen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm all about that strong attack life. Combat for me means oiling my sword, juicing up, and then dodging and flanking to get in position for huge crit chops. Axii and Aard to keep them still and vulnerable and if my alchemical choices don't keep me healthy then I let enemies wail against an Active Quen shield.

If it's a lot of weaker enemies I'll use fast attack and go Arkham-style, switching among targets with each new swing, and letting Frenzy's slow motion alert me when I need to get out of harm's way.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

CAN WE PLEASE GET SOME loving CYBERPUNK NEWS I'M DYING OVER HERE

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cyberpunk exists as a trailer with a substantial amount of hype but what the hell could possibly live up to the hopes and dreams placed in a rather ambiguous 4 year old trailer

CDPR is apparently hiring artists for it

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I'm not keen on replaying games, specially 100 hours games so I guess when I talk to Triss I'll just rebuff her.

It's not exactly min-maxing but if I'm going to go through this once I'd like to at least have a chance of seeing the best endings. I can youtube funny stuff another day.

I feel like the Triss ending is honestly a better ending than the Yennefer one, at least as far as those two are concerned.

I don't really get the Yennefer love at all. When you first meet her, she's bitchy for the 5 minutes she actually talks to you, before she packs you off to Velen. When you meet up with her in Skellige later, she has you attend a wake with her, which is fine. Then she spends the wake giving you angry faces when you drink toasts to the deceased(despite staying stone sober). She doesn't tell you about her plans to steal a magical artifact from a friend of yours until you're already involved in the theft. And then, while that friend is yelling at her about the possible repercussions of using this unique single-use magical artifact that she stole from him, she just walks off and uses it and causes a giant fuckoff storm that the druids have to get under control. And then she makes you wear the mask, and if you object to her reading your mind, her response is basically. "Suck it up buttercup, don't be a crybaby."

I put off the Triss romance lock-in mission until after Skellige so that I could at least meet Yennefer first, and my first impression of Yen is REALLY offputting. Now I understand why everybody you meet is like "When are you finally going to stop letting Yennefer treat you like a dog?"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Khizan posted:

I feel like the Triss ending is honestly a better ending than the Yennefer one, at least as far as those two are concerned.

I don't really get the Yennefer love at all. When you first meet her, she's bitchy for the 5 minutes she actually talks to you, before she packs you off to Velen. When you meet up with her in Skellige later, she has you attend a wake with her, which is fine. Then she spends the wake giving you angry faces when you drink toasts to the deceased(despite staying stone sober). She doesn't tell you about her plans to steal a magical artifact from a friend of yours until you're already involved in the theft. And then, while that friend is yelling at her about the possible repercussions of using this unique single-use magical artifact that she stole from him, she just walks off and uses it and causes a giant fuckoff storm that the druids have to get under control. And then she makes you wear the mask, and if you object to her reading your mind, her response is basically. "Suck it up buttercup, don't be a crybaby."

I put off the Triss romance lock-in mission until after Skellige so that I could at least meet Yennefer first, and my first impression of Yen is REALLY offputting. Now I understand why everybody you meet is like "When are you finally going to stop letting Yennefer treat you like a dog?"

Yen vs. Triss comes down to how much you value independence in your romantic partner, imo.

Yen is totally her own person and will operate without Geralt's consent when she thinks it's necessary. Yen is an ice queen.

Triss fawns all over Geralt and will do anything for him.

Personally I'm creeped out by Triss, in real life no person is that saccharine without wanting something or being a dependent mess.

Yen is a more difficult romance but she feels very realistic to real-life romances. She's very much her own person, but you have a very fundamental attraction

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yennefer certainly isn't my or most players' fantasy waifu. Geralt sure seems to get along with her though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Smol posted:

Edit: One more thing: is controller or keyboard/mouse the way to go?

Either's good, but be aware there's a toggle in the options that tightens the turning circle and makes it a bit less realistic but much more intuitive for mouse control.

I actually used both. The game is absolutely seamless switching on the fly, every button display changing to adapt to whatever control you touched last. I used mouse for inventory and menus and controller for running around.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I forget when/where it's revealed (to the players who didn't know from books or previous games) but Yennefer is like Ciri's mom. Keeping that in mind throughout the game makes her stubbornness and attitude easier to understand. She's trying to find her daughter and mama knows best.

I think I read about it in the Glossary but I'm sure it comes up in dialogue too, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Bah, had to reload a bunch in Skellige. Mostly for the weird "Possession" bug where I didn't know you could fix it by just traveling back to Velen or Novigrad. Secondly, I went straight into King's Gambit and locked myself out of the Cave of Dreams, or whatever.

Still though.....Skellige is loving pretty. Is there any way to the tops of the mountains? I've got a Just Cause-esque desire to scale them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shinjobi posted:

Still though.....Skellige is loving pretty. Is there any way to the tops of the mountains? I've got a Just Cause-esque desire to scale them.

Some, but you have to find the right route or you'll just keep sliding down the steep inclines.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

basic hitler posted:

W3 combat could use some work but taking lessons from dark souls is not what should happen.

Yeah. Like from my experience, it would basically be just to make Geralt's moves more consistent, take away some of the control that he has at higher levels with alchemy/signs, and make countering way more important and have a much smaller window of success, and, frankly, I don't want it to be that hard.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I didn't really use any bombs besides dimeritium until fighting the massive Hanse groups. I wish I had used Northern Wind the entire game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tokelau All Star posted:

I didn't really use any bombs besides dimeritium until fighting the massive Hanse groups. I wish I had used Northern Wind the entire game.

The ones that apply burning and poison DOT are really useful when they've been upgraded.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Bombs suffer from the Megaelixir Question, in that you only carry 2-3 of each type with you and you never know when you're really going to need it. Also, blowing up monsters nests.

I wish the bombs had a cooldown instead but oh well.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yen and Geralt make a shitload more sense once you're doing stuff with ciri towards the end.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

Cyberpunk exists as a trailer with a substantial amount of hype but what the hell could possibly live up to the hopes and dreams placed in a rather ambiguous 4 year old trailer

CDPR is apparently hiring artists for it

What worries me most is the shooting. Rpgs with shooting have a tendency to not be as fun as hand to hand combat. Time to kill is either too short or too long, fights end up being cover fests at a distance and there is little variety in fighting style except for maybe shoots bigger bullets, shoots explosives etc.

But maybe CDPR can get it right.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hopper posted:

What worries me most is the shooting. Rpgs with shooting have a tendency to not be as fun as hand to hand combat. Time to kill is either too short or too long, fights end up being cover fests at a distance and there is little variety in fighting style except for maybe shoots bigger bullets, shoots explosives etc.

But maybe CDPR can get it right.

If Deus Ex could get it right 17 years ago (holy poo poo, it's actually been 17 years I'm so old kill me), I'm sure CDPR can master it too. They've done some absolutely amazing work so far, so I have 100% faith.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm on my third full playthrough but the game continues to amaze me. Wearing the professor's spectacles, I'm kind of floored by how well the visuals of dialogue scenes are reflected in the glasses. Game is pretty.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

basic hitler posted:

Eh, I think it's a good direction to take. Mind, I'm absolutely not saying the combat system should be transplanted wholesale without any thought. Personally, what I like the most about the Souls game-style combat is 2 things: predictability of enemy attacks and fluid control of your own character. These two, for me, are an absolute must for enjoyable combat in this style of game (as opposed to spectacle fighters like Metal Gear Revengeance or Bayonetta). When playing the first and second game I desperately wished that Witcher 3 would make the combat more enjoyable because good god was the combat system lovely back then. In first game you're locked into animations, in the second game they improved upon fludity of controlling Geralt A LOT but it still wan't enough IMO. But W3's combat is great! Still, there are tiny things that would improve it further, as mentioned above.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cowcaster posted:

the biggest thing, and it's been touched on but i think not explained clearly, is geralt can basically randomly decide to do a big leaping twirling flourish when all you wanted was a quick poke, and not being able to control that is important when him taking the time to do a big song and dance number between swings could mean getting instagibbed

Nothing random about that, it's determined by distance to target. You're supposed to control positioning to do the right attacks you want, as well as get bonus backstab damage and avoid backstabs to you.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 28, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
For all the peeps here who haven't played a Dark Souls, but liked the combat in Witcher 3. Go play Dark Souls, it's amazing and has better combat than W3 by a lot.

I suggest new players start with Dark Souls 2, for lots of reasons.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've played multiple dark souls iterations and I didn't really enjoy it at all. Witcher 3 combat feels much better to me.

E: And the visuals, story and flow of Witcher 3 just beats DS out of the water, no contest at all.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 28, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Witcher 3 combat only worked for me because you can cheese it with spells and what not, the parry/dodge and timing your hits stuff is the weaker part of it imo, is probably more of a prefference thing - Geralt is a pro with superhuman reflexes while I'm not, I'd prefer just clicking on stuff and have him handle that stuff. I actually liked W1's combat because of this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Khizan posted:

Not sure what's bitchy about the conversation with Yen in Vizima - that she's upset you've been loving Triss and doesn't want to talk about it? Seems understandable to me. And of course she's angry that you start drinking two minutes after claiming (completely unprompted) you wouldn't. I doubt she would have cared if you hadn't lied about it immediately beforehand.

Not telling you about the plan with the mask was definitely annoying though, as is the mind reading thing. Whether or not her not giving a poo poo about the risks of using the mask if it helps find Ciri bothers you is probably personal preference.

Pellisworth posted:

Triss fawns all over Geralt and will do anything for him.

Personally I'm creeped out by Triss, in real life no person is that saccharine without wanting something or being a dependent mess.

Yeah I get a real dependent mess vibe from Triss too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So is enemy upscaling a good thing to have on? How do zones and enemie levels interact?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Using the mask despite the risks is understandable, being so calous and unapologetic about it bothered me, same with her necromancy in that grove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dark Souls really doesn't seem appealing at all to me. Sure, I guess the combat is more refined, but who plays Witcher games primarily for combat? And the DS series doesn't seem to have anything going for it besides combat. From everything I've seen it also still boils down to an elaborate game of Simon says with dodging and striking in sync with enemy patterns - meh.