Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hi friends, bethesda's streaming the first few hours on Twitch right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

^^ It's looking good. The base design looks fantastic in particular. Can't wait to jab needles into my eyes in little under a month.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unnng some of the images are breaking. I'll rehost then later on today.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like how Arkane's kinda starting to develop a developer's style. The rough-cut, painterly style of the faces in "Only Yu Can Save the World" is SO Dishonored. I am trying my best to not buy games day one, but this might be one of the exceptions.

e: Demo out in a week. :D

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's really confidence inspiring that they're providing a demo. Arkane rock.

E- lol

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 26, 2017

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

I'm surprised they're doing a demo! Arkane really must have taken the Dishonored 2 launch problems to heart. So far I've liked every game they've developed and I'm excited for this one.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

:siren: demo available tomorrow :siren:

E- console demo :argh:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 26, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For PC or just console?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unggg no mention of pc for the demo. I just assumed it would be for the pc as well :doh:

bethesda posted:

Available April 27 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Prey Demo: Opening Hour puts you in the role of Morgan Yu at the very start of the game. Your first day on the job quickly takes a dark turn, with aliens hunting down any surviving crewmembers, including you. Should the Typhon reach Earth, life as you know it will end. So slip into your TranStar uniform and download the demo in order to stop the alien invasion and save humanity.

Prey releases globally on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on May 5, 2017.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm honestly just going to skip the demo and get the game anyway. Would rather have the first hour or so unspoiled.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Huh. Hopefully the demo will eventually make it over to PC.

Otherwise there goes my theory of Arkane wanting to placate Steam users after what happened with Dishonored 2. :confused:

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Any chance the demo progress carries over? Kinda the only way I'd justify it, seeing as it's so close and already a buy for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maximum Planck posted:

Otherwise there goes my theory of Arkane wanting to placate Steam users after what happened with Dishonored 2. :confused:
Yeah, this makes me wary about potential technical issues as well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Played the demo. Apparently you'll be able to revisit old areas any time you like, and I found a security terminal that can ping the corpse of anyone in the station on your radar, which is pretty novel. Lots of good rooftop hiding places.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi guys it's me cowcaster i feel like a broken record mentioning this constantly but my brother in law worked very hard on this game (and the original dishonored) at arkane austin and i would really appreciate it if you all preordered 28 copies at full price thank you

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Hi Cowcaster! You can tell your brother in law that the demo is really neat and I appreciated it not letting me down because I got all excited for it!

....Seriously enjoying that the demo lets you just make yourself at home and basically gently caress off doing whatever you feel like. I got to a point where I figured the demo was done and that it was a sensible length, nope! Lots more to do! And I'm kind of surprised that I stopped playing it after a few hours because now that I was on top of things, I had all sorts of stuff I wanted to back track to and was kind of just getting too into the possibilities.

Oh yeah, can you please ask your brother in law nicely to thank the people who were responsible for the way glass breaks and all the fun to be had with it?
Had a hell of a nice moment when I took a running heavy swing at the 'jammed' door in the Yu apartment, and then lots of times afterwards.

Now to stay away from the game for a few hours, and it's back to trying to see absolutely everything there is to see. I'm sure somewhere in one of those weirdo high ceilings there's some astounding loot.

I wish I knew how to censor stuff, I want to ask if anyone else has found one of the craftable weapons that's,....Less than lethal,.....

Naganted fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 28, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I found a crossbow that shoots plastic nerf darts.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I drive by the Arkane Austin office all the time, looks like a nice building. Would love to work there, they make such cool stuff.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Still being amused by the way the glass breaks. And I'm glad it's all over the place.

I think I might have a problem.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It sucks that such a possible obvious good game will take a few days post release for me to consider purchasing it just because Bethesda and their hatred of reviews. Won't hurt anyone that made the decision or the people that made the product, but that's just my stance on something that looks like a fun game about seeing how much you can solve with just a nerf gun and some skill.

How many times do you see pictures of Aged JFK?

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
There's at least one way bigger than life-sized.
I smacked it's protective glass a few times because of course,..

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Cowcaster posted:

hi guys it's me cowcaster i feel like a broken record mentioning this constantly but my brother in law worked very hard on this game (and the original dishonored) at arkane austin and i would really appreciate it if you all preordered 28 copies at full price thank you

I'm preordering this because Arkane hasn't let me down (I was lucky enough to duck Dishonored 2 performance issues) - so tell your bro in law that if this sucks I'ma convince you to advocate for your sibling's divorce

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone know if the demo progress carries over to the full game?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Cowcaster posted:

Sorry but I only buy games in bulk quantities of 1000 and I just don't have the money for that right now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ha, I'm already discovering secrets.

In the starting area, there's a Debriefing Room with a horrible looking chair, a locked safe and a whiteboard with the safe combination on it, but erased. Later you get that hologram message from yourself, and I realized it was in the debriefing room. I looked to the left and there was the combination! Time to backtrack.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

As long as this game has a better story/writing than Dishonored 2 I'll give this a shot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The game looks interesting, but I'll wait a few days after release until performance reports are out before I actually buy it. Dishonored 2 was unplayable for me at launch, and still doesn't run that well despite several massive patches to address the issue.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Also I'd really like to have no denuvo, please. It really kills my mood to use my really powerful computer and then install a bunch of useless programs ontop of already going through steam as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This demo was very good and I will buy the game and tell the internet that Cowcaster's brother worked on it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played about an hour of this, I think it looks really cool. previously the only takes on this I read were from NeoGAF which bitched and complained endlessly about poo poo like "doesn't run well, input is bad, game terrible and boring" and I have to wonder if they were even playing the same loving game. Just gonna chalk it up those people being hopeless fuckwits as usual because it runs beautifully and looks great, so far better than Dishonored 2 initially was. The enemies are sort of skittish and glitchy in their movements but it fits their weird appearance. I was expecting more unique Neuromod trees but I guess it all comes in time; not sure if you get the ability to become a coffee cup in the demo. Looking forward to the reviews on it, hopefully soon after the release.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh god I want this

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

"doesn't run well, input is bad, game terrible and boring"

The input is definitely bad. It controls quite poorly compared to every other fps out there.

This is definitely going to be a wait and see now.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
In case anybody's wondering, yes, you can throw yourself into the helicopter blades to... predictable results.

Also, anybody care to speculate about "The Evacuation"? Mentioned in a book in the security office and one of the psychologist's session recordings. Sounds like some bad sci-fi poo poo may have already gone down back on the surface.

Haruhater
Oct 15, 2010

I AM UTTERLY INCAPABLE OF BASIC COGNITIVE FUNCTION

please donate to my gofundme
PROTIP: if you see ANYBODY complaining about input lag, you know they are a Call of Duty playing mongoloid. Prey is a HORROR game: there would be no tention to it if you could snap auto aim at the mimics instantly. The controls are actually perfect: gimped in just the right way so that you can move around just fine but combat is tiring, thrilling and exhillarating.

Just like it should be in a horror game.

And on that note: this game is it. This is the game that the original Bioshock wanted to be but couldn't. Difficult. Frightening. Innovative (the idea that any object in the game can be an enemy that can inflict heavy damage on you is sheer genius). THERE IS INVENTORY MANAGEMENT AND A SKILL TREE! I understand that this stuff was too much for a casual audience when Irrational had to make it big back in '07. And I understand why they just made a streamlined action game with Bioshock Infinite. Heck, Bioshock Infinite is still my favorite game of all time.

But drat, Arkane really showed Ken Levine and co. how it's motherfucking done! It took them ten years and a new console generation, but they made the System Shock 2 sequel Irrational never could! gently caress Warren Spector's System Shock 3: THIS is System Shock 3! Really, all it lacks is Shodan, but everything else is right there! And it's absolutely GLORIOUS!!!

And really, if the full game keeps up this level of quality then I'm just gonna' go ahead and pre-emptively call this my game of the year! Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I'd ever again get to play a cutting edge AAA survival horror game with such a level of depth, complexity and originality! Arkane really outdid themselves, and as far as I'm concerned; as long as you have even the most remote appetite for spine-chilling horror and the glory days of intelligent PC FPS games, this game is worthy every motherfucking penny!

It even has 0451!

Haruhater fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 28, 2017

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Haruhater posted:

PROTIP: if you see ANYBODY complaining about input lag, you know they are a Call of Duty playing mongoloid. Prey is a HORROR game: there would be no tention to it if you could snap auto aim at the mimics instantly. The controls are actually perfect: gimped in just the right way so that you can move around just fine but combat is tiring, thrilling and exhillarating.

Just like it should be in a horror game.

:laffo: source your quotes

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The input is definitely bad. It controls quite poorly compared to every other fps out there.

This is definitely going to be a wait and see now.

E - RE INPUT LAG ON PS4

If this Beth PR person on Reddit is legit, they're saying it'll be fixed in the full version:

quote:

Do you have high Input Lag on PS4 too?
(self.prey)
submitted 23 hours ago by Kirabax

Hey guys. Normally i dont feel any input lag or anything in the games, but in PREY when i move the camera it goes with a little lag. Do you have it too? I dont think its my TV.
24 commentsshare
all 24 comments

sorted by: best
[–]jessBethesdaBethesda Official 11 points 21 hours ago
Hi all,
The PS4 input lag issue will be fixed in the full release version of the game. We missed letting you guys know ahead of time.
Thanks for all your feedback, and keep it coming!

https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/67v6ld/do_you_have_high_input_lag_on_ps4_too/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 28, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
They never really fixed the input lag in DH2 so who knows if they'll actually fix it for release. I know totally different engines and all, whatever.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Haruhater posted:

Oooooooooooooooor... They're playing on PS4, which Bethesda Support has confirmed has control issues, that they promise will be fixed in the final game (We'll see about that).

Xbox One demo is fine, no input lag, so play that if you got the choice.

(The mimic enemies are still annoying to fight with a controller - their rapid movements are much more suited for quick, precise control like I hope KB+Mouse will provide)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They never really fixed the input lag in DH2 so who knows if they'll actually fix it for release. I know totally different engines and all, whatever.

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Is that supposed to be Dishonored 2? Because i haven't encountered any input lag in 40 hours of playing.

neither have I, but then again DH2 isn't designed to have frantic gun segments like Prey so I can see why the controls right now on PS4 could be annoying. Personally I didn't really feel too hindered besides the occasional spidery thing moving too fast, but the GLOO gun fixed that.