Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren:IT'S THE MAY HORROR MOVIE CHALLENGE:siren:

As of this post, we are half-way to Halloween! :yotj: Usually CineD celebrates horror movies with an October Horror Movie Challenge. During the month of October, we torture ourselves with a personal challenge to see how many horror movies we can watch before the witching hour of All Hallow's Eve (many aim for a goal of 31 Horror movies). We talk about the movies we watch, rate them, recommend new horror movies, and talk about how great horror movies are. It's a hell of a good time.

:ghost:What is this hell?

October's the best, but it's a busy month looking for costumes, going to parties, decorating, trick 'r treating, etc. Horror movies are also a little harder to come by (many streaming services lose their horror licenses because :10bux:, DVDs and Blu-Rays are expensive) but pop back up during Spring & Summer. So why wait for October to dig into that horror backlog?

:devil:Are there Rules?

Set a personal goal for how many horror movies you're going to watch. The idea is to aim for at least 13 movies (but, again, this is a loose rule). They can be favorites or first-time views, it's your call. The challenge officially ends June 1st, 6AM (EST). Also, don't be afraid to discuss movies here or to go off-topic a little bit. This thread is not intended to be half a dozen pages of just movie reviews, it's to watch and enjoy horror movies and talk about them with goons.

:drac:Where can I watch these "horror movies"?

Shudder: The best horror streaming service. They have an excellent catalog of well-known greats to obscure gems. They offer a free trial and can be streamed through the website, apps for tablets, or through Amazon Prime (and Amazon streaming apps)
Netflix/Amazon Prime/Hulu: Check the second post for movies available on streaming

:cthulhu:What should I watch?

Feel free to REQUEST A WILD CARD! Instead of wasting your time trying to pick something for yourself, leave your fate in the hands of goons. The horror regulars know their stuff and will most certainly throw you an interesting movie. (If you have any triggers, I'd mention that too. You wouldn't want to be given Belladonna of Sadness if you can't handle rape, or Cannibal Holocaust if you love animals)

:zombie:Are there buh-buh-buh-bonus points??!

Absolutely! This year, you get bonus points for watching

*Day-time Horror - movies that mainly take place during the day or brightly lit (Shaun of the Dead, Ravenous, etc.)
*Horror Camp - Summer camp horror or camping trip horror (The Edge, )
*Horror Gone Wild! - Horror movies that take place during Spring Break!
*May (2002)
*Possession(1981)
*The Silence of the Lambs(1991)
*Beloved(1998)

When does it begin?

:siren:RIGHT NOW!!:siren:!From the beginning of this posting, any horror movie counts.

Thanks to MacheteZombie for the thread title!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Multiple Services
An American Werewolf In London !
The Babadook !
Cabin Fever
Cloverfield
From Dusk Till Dawn
Gremlins
Hannibal
The Last Exorcism
Monkey Shines
Tucker & Dale vs Evil !

Netflix
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
A Nightmare On Elm Street !
The Awakening
Baskin
The Blair Witch Project
Dead Silence
Dead Snow
Deathgasm
The Eyes of My Mother !!
Extraordinary Tales
The Fury
Hellraiser !
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
Housebound
Hush
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives In the House
The Invitation
It Follows !
Late Phases
The Legend of Hell House !
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy !
The Omen
Ravenous !
The Shining !
Stage Fright
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie
Trollhunter
Under the Shadow
We Are What We Are
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
VHS

Amazon Prime
Afflicted
Borderland
Bride of Re-Animator
Burn Witch Burn
Chopping Mall
Dead and Buried
The Devil Bat
Green Room !
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer !
House on Haunted Hill
I Am A Ghost
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Mist
The Monster
Neverlake
Nightmare Castle
Night Watch
Nosferatu
Opera !
Season of the Witch
Sleepy Hollow
Street Trash
Texas Chainsaw Massacre !
The Woman In Black
The Witch !

HULU
The Devil's Rejects
Eraserhead
Event Horizon
Friday the 13th
Ginger Snaps
House of the Devil
High Tension
The Innkeepers
Rosemary's Baby
The Silence of the Lambs
Vampire's Kiss

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 28, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

If you don't post Possession as one of the movies to watch , the horror thread will disown you.

Put me down for 12 movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_OUDpUhle8

edit:

I'll change my challenge to 13.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 29, 2017

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Setting my goal at 13 can't possibly be asking for trouble. :v:

Going to aim for some thinning of my Amazon and Netflix watch lists. And Event Horizon to see if it's as good as child me vaguely remembers from a partial hotel cable viewing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I will watch 13 films this coming month without breaking my X-files marathon, because I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb8nP0pNrEY

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm in. 13 sounds like a reasonable goal. Looking forward to starting this weekend!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I can do 13, probably.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll probably end up watching more than 13 because I'm insane.

For those that have Shudder and may be watching a few Rob Zombie films, consider giving House of 1000 Corpses another shot even if you didn't like it years ago. I think its really aged well and I like it a little bit more each time I see it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

13 will be a breeze. Btw you need to add The Eyes of My Mother to the Netflix list.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Daveski posted:

I'm in. 13 sounds like a reasonable goal. Looking forward to starting this weekend!

May 1st isn't until Monday, are you going to cheat?!?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

13 will be a breeze. Btw you need to add The Eyes of My Mother to the Netflix list.

drat you right.

Drunkboxer posted:

It's not cheating, it's a head start for everybody.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

drat you right.

It's not cheating, it's a head start for everybody.

Ok, good because I was going to cheat/take a head start as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm definitely gonna cheat. I never have the will power to wait in October either, my marathons always end up starting the week before. One year I even did September AND October and I watched over 50 horror movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It may be worth noting too that YouTube has a lot of horror movies. Someone in genchat (sorry I can''t recall who, probably one of you guys) put together a list of all the films on the They Shoot Zombies Don't They list available on YouTube. If someone can dig that up it might be a useful resource.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

13 ain't nothing, put me down for 50.

https://tubitv.com/category/horror also has a pretty decent selection if you don't mind commercials.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

edit: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get through at least 13 please tear my soul apart (or probate me until October).

For a bit more accountability and organization I'm going to post my watchlist here. I'll be going through these in order. My goal is to get through at least 13, but my real goal is to finish the whole list by June:

Some of the "better" Hellraiser films after part 2:
1. Hellraiser 3
2. Hellraiser Bloodline

Stuff I own on Blu-ray but haven't seen yet:
3. Bride of Re-Animator
4. The Uninvited (1944)
5. The Blob (1958)
6. Hex
7. Mystery of the Wax Museum
8. Phantom of the Opera (1943)
9. Five Dolls for an August Moon
10. The Bloodstained Shadow

More gialli:
11. Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
12. Torso
13. Short Night of Glass Dolls
14. Perfume of the Lady in Black
15. All the Colors of the Dark

Some essentials I feel embarrassed for having not seen:
16. The Howling
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
18. They Live
19. Prince of Darkness
20. Fright Night

More Lucio Fulci:
21. The Black Cat
22. Cat in the Brain
23. Lizard in a Woman's Skin
24. The Psychic

More Jean Rollin:
25. The Rape of the Vampire
26. Living Dead Girl
27. Requiem for a Vampire

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 28, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Some essentials I feel embarrassed for having not seen:
16. The Howling
17. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
18. They Live
19. Prince of Darkness

I'm extremely jealous that you get to watch these for the first time.

I have a few like that on my list for this challenge as well:

Rabid
Fright Night
The Devil's Backbone
Cannibal Ferox

Although I don't think any of these will be as fun as the lineup you've got going on. I'll probably watch Prince of Darkness again just for the hell of it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Fright Night

poo poo, I still need to see this too. I'm gonna squeeze it in there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Aww yeah, my title suggestion made the cut!

So I am going to :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get to 13 by the end of May our beloved mod may probate me until October.

I'm going to post my planned 13 movies, with a few that I hope I can get this thread to select for me. These will all be first time watches.

1. Pieces - movie where I got the name of the thread from.
2. The Asphyx
3. Street Trash
4. Graveyard Shift
5. Serial Mom
6. Tombs of the Blind Dead
7. The Vampire Lovers
8. Black Sabbath
9. Lizard in Woman's Skin

For my final selections, I thought it would be fun to let the thread decide my Hammer fate. I realized earlier this year that a huge gap in my horror viewing exists. I haven't seen most of the Hammer films. So to help correct this, here's a short list of ones I haven't seen and if enough people suggest a few those will make it onto my list.

e: going to make this a tracking section for votes.
10-13:
Dracula Has Risen From the Grave- 1
Taste the Blood of Dracula-
Brides of Dracula- 1
Dracula AD 1972-
Curse of the Werewolf-
The Mummy- 2
The Devil Rides Out- 1
Horror Express(not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)- 2

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Aww yeah, my title suggestion made the cut!

So I am going to :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't get to 13 by the end of May our beloved mod may probate me until October.

I'm going to post my planned 13 movies, with a few that I hope I can get this thread to select for me. These will all be first time watches.

1. Pieces - movie where I got the name of the thread from.
2. The Asphyx
3. Street Trash
4. Graveyard Shift
5. Serial Mom
6. Tombs of the Blind Dead
7. The Vampire Lovers
8. Black Sabbath
9. Lizard in Woman's Skin

For my final selections, I thought it would be fun to let the thread decide my Hammer fate. I realized earlier this year that a huge gap in my horror viewing exists. I haven't seen most of the Hammer films. So to help correct this, here's a short list of ones I haven't seen and if enough people suggest a few those will make it onto my list.

10-13: Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Taste the Blood of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Dracula AD 1972, Curse of the Werewolf, The Mummy, The Devil Rides Out, Horror Express (not technically a Hammer film, but everyone tells me it might as well be)

I'm loving the TOXX idea. Anyway I suggest: Horror Express (duh), Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, Brides of Dracula, and The Mummy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Devil Rides out is, from what I understand, excellent. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere and it's like $40 on blu ray. Is it available on youtube?

For sure watch The Mummy and Horror Express though. Both feature Lee and Cushing and Horror Express in particular is one that I'm sure there will be a parade of people in here lobbying for. It rules.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I edited my other post but I want to make sure everyone sees it: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't watch 13 please probate me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The Devil Rides out is, from what I understand, excellent. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere and it's like $40 on blu ray. Is it available on youtube?

For sure watch The Mummy and Horror Express though. Both feature Lee and Cushing and Horror Express in particular is one that I'm sure there will be a parade of people in here lobbying for. It rules.

If a movie becomes impossible to procure I reserve the right to swap it out. But I'm hoping I can track it down should it make the cut.

e:

Spatulater bro! posted:

I edited my other post but I want to make sure everyone sees it: I'm going to steal MacheteZombie's idea and :toxx: myself for 13 movies. If I don't watch 13 please probate me.

:respek:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll list a handful of titles I definitely want to watch and leave a couple spaces for filler as friends may have ideas. One hard rule that all counted titles must be first time viewings:

1. Hellraiser

2. The Eyes of My Mother

3. Train to Busan

4. Thinner

5. [Rec] 4 if you all think it can work as a standalone having seen none of the series

5 (alternate). free space

6. The Windmill

7. The Blair Witch Project

8. Late Phases

9. P

10. The Neon Demon

11. Starry Eyes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed you guys haven't seen Fright Night, it's my go-to for Fun Vampire Movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I'm amazed you guys haven't seen Fright Night, it's my go-to for Fun Vampire Movie

The only excuse I can really think of is that I ended up seeing the remake first, which maybe took some of the appeal out of the original for me. Sometimes that happens, the fact that I already know the basic outline of the story makes the original less enticing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They are different enough to stand on their own, in my opinion. Different tone, characterization, plotting, etc. They are the same in premise, character names and basic structure

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Also the theme for the original Fright Night is very kick rear end.

https://youtu.be/re_IEpPFdmA

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 28, 2017

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

TheKingslayer posted:

Also the theme for the original Fright Night is very kick rear end.

https://youtu.be/re_IEpPFdmA

RIP J. Geils

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm in.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Does anyone have Shudder UK? I don't want to sign up to something that has an empty shell of options, but if I can find 13 horrors to watch in May I will do it quite happily! Maybe split my usual October Horrorthon into two parts and do one now as studying and trying to watch a horror a day is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with how CineD does their movie challenges, but if I understand this correctly, I only have to watch 13 horror movies during May? Then I would have to rate them, write a little bit about them, and keep going?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yep! And if you fall short of 13, we drop you in a greased pit and film you starving to death.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sign me up. Here's a prelim list of what I'm gonna try to get to this month (assuming all are somewhere streaming, including amazon rental):

The Void
The Asphyx
The Eyes of My Mother
The Lobster
Ghostwatch
Frailty
Black Devil Doll from Hell
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
Contamination
The Wailing
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Visit
From Beyond

All of those would be first time, excepting From Beyond (I was planning on watching that again soon anyways so might as well do it now)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

More Jean Rollin:
25. The Rape of the Vampire
26. Living Dead Girl
27. Requiem for a Vampire

A good selection but really you should add Fascination ..

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

Sign me up. Here's a prelim list of what I'm gonna try to get to this month (assuming all are somewhere streaming, including amazon rental):

The Void
The Asphyx
The Eyes of My Mother
The Lobster
Ghostwatch
Frailty
Black Devil Doll from Hell
I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House
Contamination
The Wailing
Ouija: Origin of Evil
The Visit
From Beyond

All of those would be first time, excepting From Beyond (I was planning on watching that again soon anyways so might as well do it now)

More than half are on Netflix and Amazon

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Does watching Fright Night 13 times count? Just need some clarification.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course it does, just alternate between original, sequel and remake.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've been meaning to watch Targets. Does that count as a horror movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wow, we got Stickied. The October challenge doesn't even get stickied.

Last night was my birthday, so no horror movies. Tonight I'm watching Raw and maybe The Void at my local theater.

• Locked thread