Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

anonumos posted:

Tap water doesn't disrupt poo poo. We've spent decades neglecting public water systems (see Flint) to the point that actual clean water from a privately owned fountain is seen as better.

A overwhelming majority of the water supply in the US is potable (Flint is an exception for obvious reason, so are also some rural communities) and the only reason you believe otherwise is due to Coca Cola and Nestle lobbying the poo poo out of you over a decade ago to convince you otherwise. You're not living in a third-world country.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Plus, the amount of waste created by bottled water is incredible (between production, bottling, and distribution), not to mention the effect on aquifers supporting the bottling plants and the locales they should be serving. I see people in the grocery store buying cases of bottled water each week - out of convenience, lack of faith in city water, who knows. Yeah, his product isn't exactly novel but if he can cut down on bottled water consumption that's a good thing.

I have far fewer issues with this than, say, Plenti.

How hard is it to re-use plastic bottles? They're easy to clean, lightweight and durable. He's literally peddling a solution to a problem that does not exist to stupid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Water filters has been around for ages, if tap water where you live is not drinkable

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A lot of people don't reuse them though?

Also ya most water in America is perfectly fine and even if you hate it, a home grade RO unit that puts the little special faucet on your sink is like a couple hundred bux and way more convenient

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Whenever I am in a big city, my first worry is always death by dehydration. Thankfully some brilliant minds have come up with a solution.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

Not in major cities like NYC, where they're trying to operate though? Hell, people get water bottled from NYC's taps because they think it's special for cooking or health even.

Or you know, all those water fountain upgrades you see around major cities where the normal water fountain gets an explicit free water container filler added on the back:

I've been seeing these more and more in public places all up and down the east coast. No user payment or anything, they're just installing them when older water fountains break.

drat, that's the same thing they installed at work here, probably several hundred of them. Once the optical sensors worked consistently, they were pretty convenient.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

Or you know, all those water fountain upgrades you see around major cities where the normal water fountain gets an explicit free water container filler added on the back:

I've been seeing these more and more in public places all up and down the east coast. No user payment or anything, they're just installing them when older water fountains break.

the girls are pretty cute so now im considering buying one of those fountains too

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solkanar512 posted:

drat, that's the same thing they installed at work here, probably several hundred of them. Once the optical sensors worked consistently, they were pretty convenient.

They have them in SFO past security, which is really awesome; bring an empty bottle through, turn it into a full bottle before you board the plane.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's not even such an original disruptive idea, in Thailand they have these RO water stations all over the place and you just refill you container for a subscription of a few cents per liter:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

a few cents per liter:

:rolleyes: You will never disrupt anything at those prices.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

withak posted:

:rolleyes: You will never disrupt anything at those prices.

But if you increase the price you might turn into a profitable business and that just isn't disruptive at all! :ohdear:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The funniest part to me is New York City already has public water sampling stations, in part to help ensure quality drinking water.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/sampling.shtml

(This is in addition to those new water fountains, which are the BEST).

e: actually, looks like most are not publicly accessible. never mind!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not even such an original disruptive idea, in Thailand they have these RO water stations all over the place and you just refill you container for a subscription of a few cents per liter:

We used Watermill Express when I lived in Watsonville CA in a house that had awful plumbing, essentially the same as the fountains at some supermarkets but was way cheaper. The migrant farm workers without plumbing also used the stations.

http://www.watermillexpress.com

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tars Tarkas posted:

We used Watermill Express when I lived in Watsonville CA in a house that had awful plumbing, essentially the same as the fountains at some supermarkets but was way cheaper. The migrant farm workers without plumbing also used the stations.

http://www.watermillexpress.com

That's, uh, very Third World.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

So that thing in the Bahamas was a talent agency startup promo

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/company-behind-disastrous-fyre-festival-warned-staff-not-to-come?utm_source=mbtwitter

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Does this belong here? (Elon Musk's Boring Company)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Okan170 posted:

what will dahir insaat come up with next

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Okan170 posted:

-i like the implication there's a car sized hole in the street while that elevator is in operation

-so they've invented a subway you can drive onto

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
literally less efficient, more expensive mass transit upscaled for the automotive mode

somehow even less practical than the flying car

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Okan170 posted:

I literally can't wait for this too ruin City infrastructure while they attempt to bore a test tunnel.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

I literally can't wait for this too ruin City infrastructure while they attempt to bore a test tunnel.

I think Uber should start a competing firm and bore test tunnels without pulling permits or using licensed contractors.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's a good thing that there are never any earthquakes anymore.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now we know why those long ruined megacities in the matrix had miles of tunnels and tubes everywhere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Just asking for reasons totally unrelated to the blue-checked CEO of Box - is it considered "bad form" in Silicon Valley to have obviously paid for the vast majority of your bad, repetitious Twitter feed's followers?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Okan170 posted:

Because the Big Dig in Boston was such a loving cinch.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They looked at seattle's boring machine and thought "ONLY one major incident? Well, obviously by the time this is approved we will have better boring technology, which means no more major incidences!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Because the Big Dig in Boston was such a loving cinch.

Was the Dig dug?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Yeah it sounds like there's no room for new tech or processes in tunnel digging, we've got that one licked up good.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

what will dahir insaat come up with next

I watched this video without reading the description and my first thought was wow Dahir Insaat has really let their production values slide.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah it sounds like there's no room for new tech or processes in tunnel digging, we've got that one licked up good.

I don't know if you noticed, but Elon Musk hasn't proposed any improved technology or processes for making tunnels.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

fishmech posted:

I don't know if you noticed, but Elon Musk hasn't proposed any improved technology or processes for making tunnels.
Right, cause there isn't any. It's a completely solved problem.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fishmech posted:

Uh, we already know how to bore through the earth to make tunnels.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

enraged_camel posted:

Uh, we already know how to bore through the earth to make tunnels.

It's a long, disruptive and hideously expensive process, especially for as long a distance as has been proposed. It's not completely infeasible, but we're having a hard enough time just getting high speed rail together. Getting a tunnel like that together in any reasonable budget or time is not feasible without some major boring improvements.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Regarding the Fyre festival (that mega-lovely festival in the Bahamas), this is probably the most telling piece about it. By a talent producer for the festival who quit several weeks ago when the writing was on the wall. Startup indeed.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/fyre-festival-exumas-bahamas-disaster.html

quote:

On Wednesday, Ja Rule arrived for a “site visit.” I don’t know if he actually visited the “site” but he did spend a lot of time on a yacht, according to his Instagram. Meanwhile the event planners were holed up indoors putting together a game plan and a budget. With so little having been prepared ahead of time, the official verdict was that it would take $50 million to pull off. Planners also warned that it would be not be up to the standard they had advertised. The best idea, they said, would be to roll everyone’s tickets over to 2018 and start planning for the next year immediately. They had a meeting with the Fyre execs to deliver the news. A guy from the marketing team said, “Let’s just do it and be legends, man.”

:laffo:

quote:

The artists still hadn’t been paid. It was my job to try and be charming while explaining to tour managers that no, there still was no money or a technical director for the festival. There was, somehow, a secured alcohol sponsor, however. This whole thing was playing out as a hilarious disaster. It was clear to most of us that nothing was going to come together at this rate.

The next day, things really started to fall apart. On Friday, lots of people on the production team got fired. I did not get fired. I did get a phone call that same night that said something along the lines of, “Congratulations, the guys will allow you to continue to work on the festival! For two thirds of what you asked for. And we’re not paying the artists yet.” So with that, I quit. I told the tour managers I had been in contact with that I was going to take myself off the project. And then I flew back to New York and waited eagerly for six weeks to see how Fyre Festival would play out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

It's a long, disruptive and hideously expensive process, especially for as long a distance as has been proposed. It's not completely infeasible, but we're having a hard enough time just getting high speed rail together. Getting a tunnel like that together in any reasonable budget or time is not feasible without some major boring improvements.

That's exactly why this has promise.

Americans simply hate public transport. There are lots of reasons for this, but mainly it's because people love their privacy and don't want to deal with or be within close proximity of strangers if they can help it. Especially if said strangers are likely to be from a lower socio-economic class than them.

That's why a company that bores tunnels for autonomous cars makes a lot of sense. Maybe not realistic, but I'd argue it's more realistic than wide-spread public transport.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

enraged_camel posted:

That's exactly why this has promise.

Americans simply hate public transport. There are lots of reasons for this, but mainly it's because people love their privacy and don't want to deal with or be within close proximity of strangers if they can help it. Especially if said strangers are likely to be from a lower socio-economic class than them.

That's why a company that bores tunnels for autonomous cars makes a lot of sense. Maybe not realistic, but I'd argue it's more realistic than wide-spread public transport.

Uh, what, is this a joke?

The concept doesn't have promise, because it's ludicrously over-complicated and would involve costs that could easily run into trillions to cover a city, considering how much money either drill-tunneling with minimal aboveground disruption or cut-and-cover with the attendant massive surface level problems would cost. And when you restrict it to only what you can build for a few billion, it barely connects anywhere and thus can't really be used. That's not to mention all the costs of running ventilation systems, keeping the tunnels maintained, handling a payment infrastructure, etc. It's just an idea ol Elon farted out because he got mad at traffic.

Americans "hate" public transport largely because large swathes of the country have none of it, and another large swathe has it barely functional, usually on the order of stuff like "the county has one bus line, and it runs 3 times in the morning and 3 times in the evening, weekdays only". Americans in places with functioning transit use it a ton when it's possible, even though they might bitch about it a alot - after all, all the car commuters bitch about traffic too.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

enraged_camel posted:

mass transit for people in cars is an order of magnitude less realistic than mass transit for people not in cars. mass transit for cars right now is called highways, and they get congested, and people hate that. the only ways to avoid congestion are to expensively overbuild, or gate your system so that it's under capacity. the automatic car subway that costs $50 to use so it's not crowded would potentially be profitable but is not a solution to any problem except "how do i, as a rich man, isolate myself from the plebs"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
honestly when it comes to cost/benefit you'd have to stack "a subway, but instead of trains its cars" in the same pile as "everyone is fired from a cannon into a net" in terms of sheer uselessness

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Americans are far more sociable culturally than, say, Scandinavians, yet Scandinavian countries have plenty of excellent public transport, so the "Americans don't like sitting next to strangers" theory just doesn't ring true.

What America does have is loads and loads of sprawl built for the idyllic family of four with two cars because everyone wants their own house, yard and garage. This sort of thing also leads to ridiculous conceptual dead-ends like flying cars. If you live in the city you're poor (and not white) or filthy rich, and if public transportation is only for poor people, no one will want to pay for it, so it's bad. In NYC everyone uses the subway to get to work, so they actually invest in it.

This phenomenon is also why means-tested welfare is always on shaky political ground. If everyone receives a certain benefit, it's far less likely to get the axe than something explicitly directed at poor people, like food stamps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i absolutely loathe driving and it sucks how the high speed rail for boston doesn't go out further than it does. especially since boston is such a trash city to drive to/drive in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Antti posted:

What America does have is loads and loads of sprawl built for the idyllic family of four with two cars because everyone wants their own house, yard and garage.

Let's not forget the significant government policies that incentivised sprawl, and the racism. Oh the racism.