Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Pomp posted:

who the gently caress even played playstation all-stars

the people that made it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So, Third Strike Superstar(?) Ed Ma

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if they fixed the blandness of the presentation and hosed around with the super meter system more (tying it to several moves which can KO that you can spend certain amounts of meter for) it would probably be a fine game

the reason smash works is the art direction is really good at making dozens of different kinds of characters feel cohesive in a single environment and its also more fun.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Also in Smash you can kill people without relying on supers to do it

PSAS sucked for so many reasons, how the gently caress do you make supers the ONLY way to kill people, it's idiotic

If it was a direct ripoff of Smash with percentages and everything it would've been a better game

Rivals of Aether did that. That game is tight.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

who the gently caress even played playstation all-stars

I bought a used copy from a pawn shop once. Turned out half the character were locked behind a pay wall so i said gently caress it, im not going to put more money into this and never played it again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have it on vita from ps+ it was sorta fun

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Seth Killian was responsible for that game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

it was poo poo and i thought the company broke up after they released it

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash Bros as a permutation of the fighting genre shifts the win condition from a resource one- i.e. removing the last pixel of health from your opponent's bar- to a positional one- i.e. intersecting their body with a designated blast zone. A match of Smash looks deceptively simple on the surface, but under the hood there is a clockwork collection of system mechanics ticking away in unison. Because of the positional nature of a win condition a very wide variety of character toolkits can be designed, each one adept at controlling a different subset of system mechanics, meaning while the objective may be simple there are many different ways to achieve it, which leads to a lot of very dynamic and engaging matches where you try to rack up damage and find your opening to victory on your terms without opening yourself up to being defeated by your enemy's strengths. Smash is an unbelievably yomi game and it works very well at achieving its goals.

Playstation All Stars seems to have a similar win condition of "connect with a move that kills", but it also feels like the condition for winning shifts back towards a resource-based one and doesn't open itself up for as complex a gameplan as Smash, and you don't seem to have the complexity of movement you get from a Smash match either, while also not having the depth of normals of a traditional fighter, like it's the worst of both worlds and the best of neither. I haven't played it myself but from the videos I've watched it feels like it's actually the game FG people believe Smash to be before they learn about how it actually works though a succession of informative posts.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I can't wait to play as such timeless characters as uh...

Fat Princess and uh... The Killzone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to play as knack

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
innocent goons:game is bad

reiley:LEMME SMASH

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm gonna be the girl from Horizon and shoot you with bows until you die

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Reiley posted:

Smash Bros as a permutation of the fighting genre shifts the win condition from a resource one- i.e. removing the last pixel of health from your opponent's bar- to a positional one- i.e. intersecting their body with a designated blast zone. A match of Smash looks deceptively simple on the surface, but under the hood there is a clockwork collection of system mechanics ticking away in unison. Because of the positional nature of a win condition a very wide variety of character toolkits can be designed, each one adept at controlling a different subset of system mechanics, meaning while the objective may be simple there are many different ways to achieve it, which leads to a lot of very dynamic and engaging matches where you try to rack up damage and find your opening to victory on your terms without opening yourself up to being defeated by your enemy's strengths. Smash is an unbelievably yomi game and it works very well at achieving its goals.

Playstation All Stars seems to have a similar win condition of "connect with a move that kills", but it also feels like the condition for winning shifts back towards a resource-based one and doesn't open itself up for as complex a gameplan as Smash, and you don't seem to have the complexity of movement you get from a Smash match either, while also not having the depth of normals of a traditional fighter, like it's the worst of both worlds and the best of neither. I haven't played it myself but from the videos I've watched it feels like it's actually the game FG people believe Smash to be before they learn about how it actually works though a succession of informative posts.

Do you play Rivals? THat game is tight

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i bet itll have spiderman for some reason if its real

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

anime was right posted:

i bet itll have spiderman for some reason if its real

but he wont be in MvCi as the ultimate troll

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KungFu Grip posted:

but he wont be in MvCi as the ultimate troll

Exclusive to ps4

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Pomp posted:

innocent goons:game is bad

reiley:LEMME SMASH

She doesn't want blue.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to play as knack

...poo poo you're right they probably will be putting Knack into any future crossover games.

He's probably gonna show up in the new Hot Shots.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'd be interested in a new Playstation All Stars if they:

1. Kept Kat in as she was pretty fun to play.
2. Added 2B/9S/2A from Nier A.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'd be interested if it wasn't poo poo.

So I'll never be interested

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l_HXnlVcLo

From the video description, the Steam version of Rev2 is slated for release on June 1st (~1 week after the console version) as an upgrade of Rev1

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

AnonSpore posted:

From the video description, the Steam version of Rev2 is slated for release on June 1st (~1 week after the console version) as an upgrade of Rev1

Wow. drat. That's WAY sooner than I thought it'd be.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Hot drat

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
theres a screenshot editor :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new Arms character, DNA Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQJ6Be3EkxY

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Arms looks kinda boring and gimmicky

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

flubbber with a vengeance

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
This is kinda dumb but I'm curious: If I wanted to go through Xrd's story mode, do I have to play through Xrd sign's first, or will Rev2 cover all the same stuff with a few more scenes for the new characters?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've played PlayStation allstars, it's loving shitballs dull. Some characters have a stupidly op move, and you work out which one, and then just never press any other button. The balance just feels entirely arbitrary.

It's like, if there was a bulletin on the news about cyber bullying, they'd have a reporter all po faced, say something like "teenagers play computer games online with friends" (gestures to screen behind her playing an animation of what a computer game looks like). All stars is that 'simulacrum of a game made by people who don't really understand games'.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Kikkoman posted:

This is kinda dumb but I'm curious: If I wanted to go through Xrd's story mode, do I have to play through Xrd sign's first, or will Rev2 cover all the same stuff with a few more scenes for the new characters?

Sign is first. Revelator is a sequel. I think characters Revelator episode mode stuff is in between the two?

Rev2 is just bonus stories on top of that as far as I know.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Oh poo poo!!!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cabbagepots posted:

Arms looks kinda boring and gimmicky

sorry that none of the characters are 500 feet tall with 600lb breasts

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

MinibarMatchman posted:

sorry that none of the characters are 500 feet tall with 600lb breasts

Wait that poo poo isn't a joke?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Meridian posted:

Wait that poo poo isn't a joke?

Cabbagepots is vocal about getting boners for big breasted musclebound giantesses.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

AnonSpore posted:

I'm basically just repeating other people's posts here but WOAH, now that's what I call an amazing surprise!

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Arms will fill the spot of Wii boxing. Something to play drunk with friends when your too lazy to find your copy of smash or Mario kart.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Rev2 demo coming to PS4 free for all PS+ users on May 1, no preorder required. Full VS and training mode.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Didn't they post a haiku where the first word of every line was Demo May First? That's clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

That's a really early release date, glad to see that PC is getting some love.