Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

beep-beep car is go posted:

Don't those make the inside of the tire all gross? I mean, it's better than not going anywhere, but will any place actually plug a tire you used sealant on? Or will they all be "you used sealant, you have to buy a new one now."

I mean, the other option is to bolt a roof rack with a spare tire to your BMW 1 series. Maybe get one of those tire plug kits? I've had luck with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Are you going on the Paris-Dakar Rally or something? If not, then get a can of Fix a Flat, keep your roadside service account up to date, and realize that the 5 flat tires any normal driver will have across their entire driving lifetimes aren't worth being too worried about.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

On the other hand, I'd love to to see a 135-i war rig.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Terry Pratchett would have been 69 years old today. Go read some Discworld in his honor.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Safety Dance posted:

I mean, the other option is to bolt a roof rack with a spare tire to your BMW 1 series. Maybe get one of those tire plug kits? I've had luck with them.

This. Just get a cheap rope plug kit and a compressor. Anything worse than that call for a tow. Don't waste your time with fix a flat. Especially if you value your tpms sensors.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dB4XfUc-o

Consumer Reports finds that Fix-a-flat type products work for small punctures, not so great for larger punctures. You might be better off getting one of those sealer/compressor jobbies.

This was very informative. Thanks!

spog posted:

Doesn't that come with runflat tyres?

It might have. Certainly doesn't have ones on it.

I did a quick search with the company I usually buy tires (a major chain) and they don't even seem to carry runflats.

InitialDave posted:

I think he's intending to change them (and quite right, too, gently caress runflats).

And apparently they suck too. Why, how?

Oldsmobile fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2017

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

spog posted:

Doesn't that come with runflat tyres?

Originally, it should have. Most people replace them with regular tires to correct for bad handling and paying more for the bad handling.

I just carry a repair kit and a small DC compressor. And got roadside assistance via the BMW car club. Can't wait for the bridgestone runflats on my 2015 to die so I can go back to a proper summer tire.

Edit: Runflats are suboptimal to bad as a result of the much stiffer sidewall, it'll change how the car feels and handles when driving in a sporty manner. Also, performance runflats in the 17-18" range run from $250-350, depending. Good non-RF are in the $170-220 range. So you end up paying about a $100 more per corner for tires that are not fun, and feel a lot stiffer. And it's worse if you end up with the Pirelli Cinturato crap that ends up on the 328s. Blech.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Oldsmobile posted:

This was very informative. Thanks!

It might have. Certainly doesn't have ones on it.

I did a quick search with the company I usually buy tires (a major chain) and they don't even seem to carry runflats.

lovely ride quality AND handling (quite and achievement to get both)

Personally, I would get a compressor and some Slime, which claims to be safe for TPMS:
https://www.slime.com/us/products/auto/sealants/tire-sensor-safe.php

I like the idea of a compressor because you can use it to top off your tyres if they seem a little low in the middle of nowhere.
That and a AAA card

EFB

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Thanks, this was all really helpful!

VVV I'll see what I can find. Slime seems to be cheap to order online.

Oldsmobile fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 28, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Oldsmobile posted:

Thanks, this was all really helpful!

if you do go down the Slime route, they do sell a kit with a compressor and the Slime in a little bag:

However, if you think you will use the compressor for anything other than emergencies (e.g. topping up during your monthly check at home), I would buy the Slime bottle on its own and buy a digital compressor (which comes in a natty case of its own) as they are infinitely better to use:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Check with your local friendly tire place, some won't replace or repair a fix-a-flat repair because​ they can't guarantee it'll seal properly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Check with your local friendly tire place, some won't replace or repair a fix-a-flat repair because​ they can't guarantee it'll seal properly.

I know that they won't repair a tyre, because the sealant gets in the hole, but what's the problem with replacing them?

I suppose that a repair kit might be a better option, but my penultimate flat was caused by a hole that couldn't be easily found and slime might have worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMs9QKx-G7Y

I don't care about repairing tyres (either on the road or professionally) as i just don't feel comfortable with the idea and will replace the tyres at the first opportunity (yeah, I know repairs are probably safe, but I don't get a fuzzy feeling)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Oldsmobile posted:

They do literally everything worse than a normal tyre, with their only party trick being that you can still drive on them if they're punctured. And they're not reusable afterwards if you do. Which means you still have to buy a new one. That costs more than a regular tyre. :suicide:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i bought a house

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
good work. Now do a burnout.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

But does the house have space for a spare tire?

E: Maybe you can store it on the roof?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

spog posted:

I know that they won't repair a tyre, because the sealant gets in the hole, but what's the problem with replacing them?

Cleaning the poo poo out so it balances and seals again.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The slime can/will cause serious problems if you have active TPMS. That is, if your car has the pressure sensor, don't use slime. Non US BMWs can still have flat detection, which just checks rotational speed variance using the ABS system, rather than a specific pressure.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
am i the only person in AI to not know that lowtax has a GT-R?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

BraveUlysses posted:

I did not know

Been getting quotes for having a garage built this week. Excitement.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

Hey dude, Lowtax has a GT-R.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Around the time I bought my Versa I joked with my brother about how he should learn how to drive stick so if there was ever a time he needed to move my car (or my other two vehicles) he could. He panned the idea and I figured that meant the end of it, and I kinda lamented that my older brother would never know non-appliance driving. He does have experience driving tractors, and I've told him time and again that it translates over.

He changed his mind today, and he's not the sort to change his mind out of the thought of possible future convenience under rare circumstance. Then again, he does work for a VW dealership now and just finished his probationary period. He's really happy there and I suspect this change of mind might have some job-related motivation.

Hope for him yet. I told him to pick a day and a place and we could use my car.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Versa sounds like something you'd find on Grindr

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Goober Peas posted:

Versa sounds like something you'd find on Grindr

I imagine there are lots of them there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Around the time I bought my Versa I joked with my brother about how he should learn how to drive stick so if there was ever a time he needed to move my car (or my other two vehicles) he could. He panned the idea and I figured that meant the end of it, and I kinda lamented that my older brother would never know non-appliance driving. He does have experience driving tractors, and I've told him time and again that it translates over.

He changed his mind today, and he's not the sort to change his mind out of the thought of possible future convenience under rare circumstance. Then again, he does work for a VW dealership now and just finished his probationary period. He's really happy there and I suspect this change of mind might have some job-related motivation.

Hope for him yet. I told him to pick a day and a place and we could use my car.

This would be much better (videoed, for 'educational purposes') if you had a Viper.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Storm Prediction Center posted:

Severe thunderstorms are expected from parts of south central Texas northeastward to portions of the Ohio Valley/northern Middle Atlantic region Saturday into Saturday night. These storms will be capable of large hail, damaging winds, and a few tornadoes.

Yee fuckin haw I'm gonna be out driving in this poo poo all day. Guess I don't need to bother showering before I go to work. :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The wife and I are at a yacht club parking lot waiting to go sailing. We're in matching pink tank tops and australia hats sitting next to the AMG. These yuppies dont know what the gently caress.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im stripping wallpaper

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Adiabatic posted:

The wife and I are at a yacht club parking lot waiting to go sailing. We're in matching pink tank tops and australia hats sitting next to the AMG. These yuppies dont know what the gently caress.
You two must be so cute :3:

Also cute this foster pup. Shepard Mastiff mix but must have been runt of the litter and possibly a dwarf/pygmy or something, she's tiny.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yee fuckin haw I'm gonna be out driving in this poo poo all day. Guess I don't need to bother showering before I go to work. :v:

It's pretty nasty. The County to the north of me got about 8-10" of rain overnight. I only got 2. Stay safe.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I mean how can you post this and no pictures

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seminal Flu posted:

My wife is running her first half-marathon tomorrow... it looks like it's going to be pouring the whole time. :(

Yup, it was pouring. And the race was fully shut down because of storms just after she passed 8 miles. :(

angryrobots posted:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I just saw a pre-war Hudson pickup driving around. Hunter green and definite signs of skin cancer, and still beautiful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Is nobody gonna say it?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yup. That's a dangus.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

Of the sailboats.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I kind of assumed he was living in poverty or something but I guess I was wrong.

Always kinda wanted a GT-R but I'll have to settle for my BMW :/

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The local airport/museum is having a fly-in and car show. The fly-in was a bust (one Cherokee showed up) but the car show was neat. My 3yr old had a blast in the museum though. They have an "air park" full of pretty tired old planes but since they're so rough they let you climb in and all over them.

Like this MiG 15

Take that, capitalist scum!

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Is that a "Mig-28" in the back there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

An F5? Yes! Next to a very very tired Tomcat. You could sit in that one too.

• Locked thread