Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Does the game support mods? If yes, you can just set the cyclops hit points to 2**64 and call it done.

Personally, I look forward to a better damage model for the cyclops, but I think repairing it from the wrecked state should only take a welder and a few batteries. Losing a seamoth hurts enough, and cyclops costs 6 of those teeth that are a bitch to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Truga posted:

Does the game support mods? If yes, you can just set the cyclops hit points to 2**64 and call it done.

Personally, I look forward to a better damage model for the cyclops, but I think repairing it from the wrecked state should only take a welder and a few batteries. Losing a seamoth hurts enough, and cyclops costs 6 of those teeth that are a bitch to get.

Stalker teeth? Feed a stalker a piece of titanium or lure it near a collectible piece of wreckage. Watch tooth fall out. Take tooth. Rinse. Repeat.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If I've built a difficult object on my own and it gets busted due to something cheesy, I cheat myself in a new one. I consider this fair - just like I consider kiting and other cheap tricks to be fair in Dark Souls :colbert:

Fortunately console cheats are super easy to do.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hexenritter posted:

Stalker teeth? Feed a stalker a piece of titanium or lure it near a collectible piece of wreckage. Watch tooth fall out. Take tooth. Rinse. Repeat.

I guess they fixed this finally. Every time I played people told me to do that, but it never seemed to work

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Truga posted:

I guess they fixed this finally. Every time I played people told me to do that, but it never seemed to work

Yeah, it can take some faffing around to do, evading it long enough for it to lose interest but not straying far enough that you can't see when/where the tooth falls.

Before I knew about this, in the early days I'd spend ages swimming around a stalker stabbing it in the mouth trying to get one to drop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When I started playing it was really easy to get teeth: take the seamoth, fly into a swarm of stalkers, they bite on you like madmen for a minute or two, then lose interest, collect 30 teeth.

This then got changed to teeth almost never dropping, then later to stalkers going exctinct past the first 30 minutes of the game, and then finally to stalkers kinda working but the drop rate being "1 tooth for 10 minutes of titanum wreckage juggling".

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

See instead of nerfing teeth they should have been adding more cool and clever ways to harvest or steal resources from the native life but stalker teeth are literally all there is.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I clear my cache whenever the game gets laggier than usual (probably every 6 hours of playtime) so I haven't seen for myself, but does the fauna you kill ever come back? Do you eventually depopulate areas? If so that kinda sucks.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Xibanya posted:

I clear my cache whenever the game gets laggier than usual (probably every 6 hours of playtime) so I haven't seen for myself, but does the fauna you kill ever come back? Do you eventually depopulate areas? If so that kinda sucks.

Stuff killed by you stays dead. Stuff killed by the environment or alien lifeforms is supposed to repop. The idea being to force you farther afield if you're relying on hunting. Note that you can also breed new fish and release them if you want activity out your window.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Steam says I've played for 76 hours and that was on a single save file. I never cleared the cache and pretty much everything seemed to respawn.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
My god, I'm seeing posts on reddit about how they need nerf fruit again? 6 melons making you full is "too OP" apparently. (thinking of how this would look in real life is pretty amusing actually)

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Still really not a fan of the cyclops changes. They make things more difficult, which is fine, but they don't really give good options to mitigate the new changes aside from some busywork type of activities. I still don't see how putting out fires/repairing my cyclops and making decoys and spending power on a 15 second shield actually provide viable methods of defending myself. Especially since the seamoth can defend itself better than the cyclops.

I find it frustrating that the changes made don't really enhance the experience of the game and instead lead to more pointless busywork.

Oh well.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Okan170 posted:

My god, I'm seeing posts on reddit about how they need nerf fruit again? 6 melons making you full is "too OP" apparently. (thinking of how this would look in real life is pretty amusing actually)

:psyduck: Then what's the point of fruit supposed to be?

Reddit delenda est.

My phone autocorrected that to Reddit delenda eat, which also seems appropriate.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Xibanya posted:

:psyduck: Then what's the point of fruit supposed to be?

Reddit delenda est.

My phone autocorrected that to Reddit delenda eat, which also seems appropriate.

Bio Reactor fuel? I mean, it could be both.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good news. The only benefit of fruit was that you could grow it in a cyclops. Now we can go back to our Reginald aquariums or, more realistically, turning off hunger/thirst because it's not fun after you're established anyway ever.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I get why survival games want you to have to stuff your face every five minutes or so (to make provisioning and planning for long excursions a thing) but I don't think this is the kind of game that really benefits from that kind of detail. I'd much prefer if your food/water needs could be satisfied passively by technology, like just by adding water purifiers and farms to your base. I don't mind scrabbling for food for the first hour or two but if I have a fully-operational submarine fleet I feel kind of stupid having to worry about starving because I didn't pick enough potatoes and stuff them into lockers.

With something like The Long Dark, it makes more sense to have to eat because you're kinda managing a whole spreadsheet of calories and temperatures and other crunchy stuff, but Subnautica doesn't feel paced right for having to stop for a snack every few minutes.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Welp. People are already coming into the Steam forums complaining that their Cyclops got damaged without them in it. A dev responds.... by calling them liars and claiming it is impossible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

If I've built a difficult object on my own and it gets busted due to something cheesy, I cheat myself in a new one. I consider this fair - just like I consider kiting and other cheap tricks to be fair in Dark Souls :colbert:

Fortunately console cheats are super easy to do.

Well, do we have any confirmation yet if a destroyed cyclops means also 'lost your dozens of storage lockers worth of uranium and other materials'?

Because the loss of the cyclops ITSELF, is just kind of annoying compared to the net worth of the average person's inventory (and built devices) on it. Which isn't nearly as quick to just replace with console commands, particularly with your personal inventory space limitations.

7c Nickel posted:

Stuff killed by you stays dead. Stuff killed by the environment or alien lifeforms is supposed to repop. The idea being to force you farther afield if you're relying on hunting. Note that you can also breed new fish and release them if you want activity out your window.

People keep saying this, but you always watch the local fish population die off even if you go out of your way to never touch so much as a pepper in your brand new base location. But it's easier to go "No man, this busted mechanic is deliberately to punish you for being lazy and greedy :smug: (So we don't have to bother fixing it)"

Okan170 posted:

People will always hate fruits because it saves you UI clicks, therefore feels convenient.

Meanwhile we've always had super easy infinite food and water thanks to fish, which also is stronger and portable in your inventory. But that easy infinite source of food and water tricks them into thinking they are hardcore "survival gamers' because you have to push more buttons and maybe have to walk between your containment tank and fabricator.

Just like you always see people bragging about how they fuel their bioreactors with fruit... Which takes up a 2x2 area for poo poo value, so they are essentially bragging about having to refill their bio reactor several times more often than just tossing some basic fish in there occasionally. Again, they only see things in terms of perceived convenience, rather than consider the actual quality.

Basically, QoL frightens and confuses these sort of people. Because they have the rear end backwards idea that anything that improves survival quality, in a survival game is bad. They want the bog standard helpless constantly starving hobo experience all game, so the actual concept of progression pisses them off if it improves you past dead average, rather than their preferred range of "Helpless starvation victim" to "Time sink struggle"

Lareine posted:

Welp. People are already coming into the Steam forums complaining that their Cyclops got damaged without them in it. A dev responds.... by calling them liars and claiming it is impossible.

:negative: Why is it right when I think I'm starting to veer off into being too cycnical, it turns out I was too optimistic.

I'm getting flashbacks to Elite Dangerous, when they released a big update that gave AI ships game genie cheat code super weapons like shotgun railguns and gattling plasma guns. The AI dev claimed everyone just needed to "Get Good" when shown youtube footage of a tiny ship shredding a top shelf military spec player ship in two seconds. And the grognard playerbase ate that right up and mocked people for not being good at videogames, rather than acknowledge a space station wagon with more firepower than the largest playable ship in the game isn't a matter of skill.

EDIT: Oh right, the grogs were also incredibly salty over the Developers implementing refunds for all 'you died!' insurance costs during the rise of Skynet :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Lareine posted:

I had a pretty interesting experience. I haven't played the game since about March of 2016. I loaded the game up today and my prawn was completely gone (it was upgraded with the jumpjets) and my cyclops was sitting in the safe shallows with four damaged bits in it with no powercells.

I'd also somehow forgotten most of my recipes for things like powercell and battery chargers, a stillsuit (even though I'm wearing one) and the cyclops and prawn.

Really weird that my cyclops was sitting there damaged by nothing. I'm not going to say my experience was the same as this person's but it was really weird.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vasler posted:

I had a pretty interesting experience. I haven't played the game since about March of 2016. I loaded the game up today and my prawn was completely gone (it was upgraded with the jumpjets) and my cyclops was sitting in the safe shallows with four damaged bits in it with no powercells.

I'd also somehow forgotten most of my recipes for things like powercell and battery chargers, a stillsuit (even though I'm wearing one) and the cyclops and prawn.

Really weird that my cyclops was sitting there damaged by nothing. I'm not going to say my experience was the same as this person's but it was really weird.

Well for most of that, whenever there is a major update you have to start a new game. Otherwise weird poo poo happens with old saves.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I started a new game today and the early game silver issue is muuuuuuch smoother with cpu using gold. You can get pretty much everything you need for all the basic equipment and tools from safe shallows and the kelp forest 100m away now. A+.

The radio explicitly says "go check this lifepod out" and so it's a much more breadcrumb experience to scan wrecks, and the first two make you swim over wrecks with the seamoth and seaglide pieces.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Lareine posted:

Links or screenshot?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zesty posted:

Links or screenshot?

Maybe this thread?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/0/1319962329030214095/?ctp=4

The part that is a bit sad is the idea that "this was always part of the plan" and that people were enjoying the wrong game.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Zesty posted:

Links or screenshot?

From the thread titled "New update made the cyclops feel like a chore"

UnderDealer
Jun 18, 2002
I picked the game up a week ago knowing nothing about it and have been playing only on experimental, so when I came and read the thread for the first time today I laughed at the idea that the cyclops was ever invincible. Reapers do damage it, but barely - I think it can probably take more than a dozen hits, which is more than enough time to sail away for like 15 seconds and fix it. It seems like silent mode also makes them ignore you or at least makes them do no damage. I had actually exclusively used silent mode when I knew I was near reapers until I decided to test getting hit just now, and I had never been harassed by one. For my testing I parked near a reaper and turned silent mode off and on a bunch of times over the course of a few minutes (while sitting perfectly still) and it seemed like while I got pushed around in silent mode, I only took damage when not in silent mode (which is admittedly pretty silly). I can't ever really imagine it being destroyed unless I parked it next to a reaper and left it there or something.

I've also never seen it take damage from stalkers or sand sharks, for whatever that's worth, and my base is in sand shark country.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The apparent cause of the cyclops being damaged without the player being inside it is that anything, from reginald's to reapers, can push it around really easily. If you've parked it out in the middle of nowhere that's fine but most areas that player wants to go are near the ocean floor and "dense" with rocky terrain, so you end up with little fish pushing the cyclops into rocks and destroying it.

I still think the cyclops bieng damaged by anything smaller than reapers or maybe crabsquids is retarded. Do these people think subs are in mortal peril when sharks or giant squid swim near them?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carcer posted:

I still think the cyclops bieng damaged by anything smaller than reapers or maybe crabsquids is retarded. Do these people think subs are in mortal peril when sharks or giant squid swim near them?

Well you know how it goes. The most vocal people to pull the "It's realistic!/Immersive!" card only ever do so if it's inconvenient, and then any realism or lore friendly perks that would add QoL or convenience getting brought up makes them immediately throw realism under the bus. Even developers do this (See: Elite dangerous and the situation regarding mining "REALISM AND LORE is why mining sucks!-oh wait the last game had set and forget mining pods well gently caress you then" ).

For the most part from players and developrs alike, it's 2/3 claiming it's "realistic" makes it SOUND like your point is more valid for free PR spin, 1/3 people honestly thinking it improves the game (to their personal tastes) no matter how much of a hypocritical cherry picking they are when it comes to realism only mattering if it's painful.

No joke, I've seen people cry "That's not realistic!" when the idea of salvaging the dark matter reactor or life pod self charging cells has been pitched around "Because dark matter is a pipe dream, it's been proven!"... Even though it's how the space ship that got us here works and we fix it with a welder. But then when you bring up the alien fish monsters capable of teleportation and opening portals with their mind to that very same person? "Oh, well that's realistic because Einstein theorized wormholes."

I wish to god that was example hyperbole, but no :sigh:

EDIT: It's a fascinating pattern, but so frustrating because if people were simply loving with you it would be so much easier to dissuade those developments compared to how many people honestly think any given painful bloat mechanic is helping the game they like. While also screaming "Lantern Fruit still gives 6 food per fruit!? NERF THAT poo poo or the CoD console plebs will flood this masterpiece!". All the while thinking there is no possible way anybody would find this anything but genius and they are protecting their cool game from casuals who cant appreciate it, or whatever.

The road to a drawn out early access development is paved with good intentions?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 29, 2017

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
This is exactly the poo poo I was afraid would happen. And the fact the devs are doubling down on the "It's all part of the great plan" is even worse. Even if the devs are 100% convinced that people are lying about things, they should at least pretend to give the benefit of the doubt. Bugs can happen. At this point they should not be interacting with the community and defending their decisions. Let the hardcore fans do that.

At this point, I feel like I got my 20 bucks out of the game. If they absolutely gently caress it up beyond belief then I am done playing it and will just look at the last year I owned it and enjoyed it as the life of the game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The cyclops changes are annoying. Instead of making it more useful (maybe by having it auto-collect nearby minerals or prospect more from underground, since the thing is supposed to be a deep sea mining vessel), they managed to turn it into a chore.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean gently caress, the game is almost released and we still can't build bases on the backs of Reefbacks. Wish the developers used their god drat imaginations instead of loving up existing features.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You know, if you're going to set up a base a kilometer underground at the bottom of a superdense poisonous brinefall overlooking a volcanic zone, you should probably remember to pack a LEAST one Creepvine Seed. Almost every powersource requires lubricant and the one that doesn't requires sunlight. Ohh well, I guess I'll spiderman my way back up to the surface and get one. I suppose I should also grab other farming essentials like acid mushrooms and gelsacks. I guess Table Coral too since that's surface only.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 30, 2017

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Gave the update a try today and the new icons are nice. I like the sonar thing for the cyclops, it makes navigating caves easier.

On the other hand (and this is a big "other hand"), the cyclops taking damage from everything is very, very tedious. I was going down from blood kelp to the lost river and every time I touched a wall I'd take damage. I could ignore it and continue but the ship would then natter at me to fix my poo poo, or I could fix it and then take damage every time I clipped a wall.

I mean, there's a huge possibility this is because I'm a lovely pilot but man, it isn't fun having to roll around at silent running mode all the time to avoid the critters then still take piles of damage.

I also hope they either decrease the rate of power the cyclops uses even further or somehow give us the ability to generate power on the thing (aside from the power cell charger).

Overall I'm really not loving the new cyclops. It feels like a very tedious and pointless addition.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think in general stealth gameplay is something you're meant to design a game around from the very beginning rather than something you add on a whim 90% through development.

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016

7c Nickel posted:

You know, if you're going to set up a base a kilometer underground at the bottom of a superdense poisonous brinefall overlooking a volcanic zone, you should probably remember to pack a LEAST one Creepvine Seed. Almost every powersource requires lubricant and the one that doesn't requires sunlight. Ohh well, I guess I'll spiderman my way back up to the surface and get one. I suppose I should also grab other farming essentials like acid mushrooms and gelsacks. I guess Table Coral too since that's surface only.

From what I remember, gelsacks spawn in the Lost River, or at least in a nearby biome.

It would be nice if titanium and other basic materials spawned in deep areas so you could build and expand a deep base. Maybe make them large deposits only so that the exosuit drill arm acts as a natural gate to that. It'd also be a nice way to get around the Cyclops problem; build waystations with plants or aquariums for food, water filtration, nukes or thermals for power, and a moonpool each, and daisychain your way in. Might do that on my next playthrough, actually, it seems like a nice goal to work towards.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fperson1 posted:

From what I remember, gelsacks spawn in the Lost River, or at least in a nearby biome.

It would be nice if titanium and other basic materials spawned in deep areas so you could build and expand a deep base. Maybe make them large deposits only so that the exosuit drill arm acts as a natural gate to that. It'd also be a nice way to get around the Cyclops problem; build waystations with plants or aquariums for food, water filtration, nukes or thermals for power, and a moonpool each, and daisychain your way in. Might do that on my next playthrough, actually, it seems like a nice goal to work towards.

They do. I think you might have to go to the Blood Kelp for Copper but everything else including Raw Titanium spawns in the lower caverns.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I started a new game today and the early game silver issue is muuuuuuch smoother with cpu using gold. You can get pretty much everything you need for all the basic equipment and tools from safe shallows and the kelp forest 100m away now. A+.

The radio explicitly says "go check this lifepod out" and so it's a much more breadcrumb experience to scan wrecks, and the first two make you swim over wrecks with the seamoth and seaglide pieces.

I don't even know what I'm going to do with all of this silver but now I need ALL of the copper. I'm glad that they made the lifepod signals more descriptive but I don't really see the point of limited you to 2 at time now that you can selective hide/recolor waypoints.

edit: also I found a few gelsacks in the crash zone on my way to the aurora.

Mehrunes fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 30, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I realized what this game really needs is dedicated resource storage bins. Something smaller than a battery charger that can hold XXX of a single resource.

Having 10+ lockers filled with materials makes it a pain when you're trying to do large scale operations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They'll balance it by only making it available after everything else you can possibly do in the game and require just as much resources to craft as would fill it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

I realized what this game really needs is dedicated resource storage bins. Something smaller than a battery charger that can hold XXX of a single resource.

Having 10+ lockers filled with materials makes it a pain when you're trying to do large scale operations.
This would be amazing. They could repurpose that small wall locker that no one has ever built ever. An additional huge quality of life thing would be the ability for the fabricator to pull from adjacent lockers or all lockers within the habitat or cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'll settle for the ability to stack resources, not even in your inventory, just in containers.