Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Onean posted:

Blueprints at the start of the game are just guidelines so you don't have to redesign your setups on every map. Then you unlock the personal roboport (fairly easily in comparison to .14, really) and it's away to the races.

The devs have mentioned they're considering some early game robot tech, but they didn't have anything for .15.
The roboport thing really isn't true at all. You need blue science so have to have a whole oil setup to produce red circuits and batteries, just like before. In fact, the addition of military packs and it's associated infrastructure makes it even slower to get to!

You don't need early game roboports if you can easily convert blueprints to the real thing by shift-clicking on it within your active range, it'd be a fine fix if some modder would just get on that, thanks in advance

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

pumpinglemma posted:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: setting up a smelter at the iron deposit is an actively bad idea, because the pollution will attract biters. You want a single centralised smeltery, either as an outpost in itself or as part of your main base. (Also remember the concrete recipe uses unprocessed iron ore.)

On rail world preset, you just need to clear the area of biters once.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bhodi posted:

What's the way to use blueprints early? I must be missing something. You can hover over each part and hit Q to select the part from your inventory and then click to place the thing, but that's tedious as hell.

Surely there's a button I can hold down while mousing over the blueprint ghost to place them all?

Yeah right now its just to aid in planning, which does help a little. I hope in the future they add features such that you can drag down belts/inserters/assembers/ and have them autosnap orientation and recipe with the blueprint you're placing them over.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah right now its just to aid in planning, which does help a little. I hope in the future they add features such that you can drag down belts/inserters/assembers/ and have them autosnap orientation and recipe with the blueprint you're placing them over.
Hitting q while mousing over the blueprint pulls an item from your inventory and applies the orientation correctly, except for underground pipes and belts where it applies the other side (accidentally reversed).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Bhodi posted:

You don't need early game roboports if you can easily convert blueprints to the real thing by shift-clicking on it within your active range, it'd be a fine fix if some modder would just get on that, thanks in advance

Yeah, this (or similar) would be great. I forgot how slow the early game can be not due to a lack of resources but to the forced manual plopping of assemblers and inserters.

ninjewtsu posted:

So what does a good furnace setup that has plenty of room for beacons look like?

From my previous game:

Nice and simple, though not optimal as I'm just now realizing I'm using 20 furnaces instead of the 22 needed for belt saturation.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bhodi posted:

The roboport thing really isn't true at all. You need blue science so have to have a whole oil setup to produce red circuits and batteries, just like before. In fact, the addition of military packs and it's associated infrastructure makes it even slower to get to!

.14 required blue circuits for the personal roboport, and the recipes for the bots needed more mats as well I believe. Oil isn't that far in, really, and I don't think you need to set up military science for anything leading up to the personal roboport except maybe the first modular armor, and even that doesn't need a whole lot.

Edit: I'm not saying your suggestion isn't valid, it would absolutely be very nice to have. I'm just saying that the personal roboport is, in my experience, much easier to get to in .15 than it was in .14.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
In .14, construction and logistics bots were about at the same point in the tree. In .15, construction bots have moved down, and logistics bots have moved up. I was actually amazed how quickly I was able to build myself my first modular armor and fill it with a roboport, a battery, and solar panels, and start constructing stuff on my own.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

seravid posted:

From my previous game:

Nice and simple, though not optimal as I'm just now realizing I'm using 20 furnaces instead of the 22 needed for belt saturation.

Great, now I have furnace-envy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

seravid posted:

From my previous game:

Seems like there's got to be a way to move those becaons between the furnaces rather than on the outside. A long inserter or two should be able to deal with loading and unloading on the outside of the furnaces, leaving the inside for sweet sweet beacons.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Seems like there's got to be a way to move those becaons between the furnaces rather than on the outside. A long inserter or two should be able to deal with loading and unloading on the outside of the furnaces, leaving the inside for sweet sweet beacons.

You want them on the outside, that way you can share beacons between two furnace lanes (where he is belting his plates/ore, which kinda ruins that aspect of the setup).

So more like this:

fezball fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 28, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

fezball posted:

You want them on the outside, that way you can share beacons between two furnace lanes (where he is belting his plates/ore, which kinda ruins that aspect of the setup).

So more like this:

Yeah. That's the good stuff. What kind of modules do you use?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Or, from my last big .14 game:

The latch circuitry means that the power switch shuts when there is room for a full oreload worth of plates in the pickup warehouses AND there is at least a trainload of ore worth to be smelted. Then it latches on until delivery is empty or output is full.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

LLSix posted:

Yeah. That's the good stuff. What kind of modules do you use?

Production in the smelters, speed in the beacons - the speed offsets the penalty from the production modules (and then some). If you can afford the modules, you can afford the power so screw efficiency (even more so now that you don't need to cover the map in solar panels to run this kind of setup).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

Or, from my last big .14 game:

The latch circuitry means that the power switch shuts when there is room for a full oreload worth of plates in the pickup warehouses AND there is at least a trainload of ore worth to be smelted. Then it latches on until delivery is empty or output is full.

I don't understand the point of not just constantly smelting the ore as soon as it comes in; it's not like you'll have much else to do with it. Is it just for fun?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I love the new fluid wagons. So stylish.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

vOv posted:

I don't understand the point of not just constantly smelting the ore as soon as it comes in; it's not like you'll have much else to do with it. Is it just for fun?

Saves idle power. The smelters run until output is full, so if the output never fills they run continuously. If material stops being consumed, they stop running. The trigger that waits for output to be below a certain level stops them from blinking on and off and only running once a certain amount is needed.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wouldn't you get the same effect from just restricting the output warehouses to contain one trainload of ore? Even if you try to keep the warehouse full at all times, in the long run you'll only ever be producing plates as fast as you're consuming them once you've filled up all your intermediate storage like warehouses and chests.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Just did a 15:23 launch. :argh:

Firos posted:

Can someone post a good smelter layout for me? I am bad at figuring one out on my own :(

These two blueprints are the ones I stuck with since I unlocked Steel furnaces:

Smelter-18 posted:

0eNqdW11v4kgQ/C9+hpXne8zf2MfTakUS354lMMg4p42i/PdzNhyKlBpcNU8RJhQ909WlnurhtXk4PPfnaRjnZvfaDI+n8
dLs/nptLsOvcX94fza/nPtm1wxzf2w2zbg/vr+6zH1/2P79PI37x7552zTD+NT/bnbm7cem6cd5mIf+A+jPi5ef4/PxoZ+
Wf7hBzNN+vJxP07x96A/zAn0+XZaPncb3L12gtnHTvCx/TPv2tvmCY284x/5peD5u+0P/OE/D4/Z8OvQAzV/RDEJzN7Rhv
PTTvDz7ihBu8Wyap2Favu7PmxHg+cJGfQV1366w3beAIgs3pMNp/LX9Z7/s89P2TpQWR2kBduRzYe7lItE47T2YrIcDk9k
RyTR8Lk3LJtOu5NIYkbTu3jKNJdbpeTYYR+9/uJdG4+USzxAnyDgdxIlCcWeCD0kv7lQgRK6s7kykkymD//G69WXbVi5Pm
FZrVLXAMFYOB7LDOjUcDON50SE4ZoOsOQWK2ShSzEBGIIbZxAsQQVibVf3BxOhUGJhQ18rqEyGO3vAkiGMFFYvrDHNOV7G
AKeZ8pYrFdVK4IKhYIpat9zw4rXLPg2H0ngezo1PDgTC+5VWM4Jg3sooVKOZtnYqldYZ5x6sYQVjvVfmBxPBBhcEJjbL6e
IiTZBycx1x5bMNRKS1OWOdr0FscGFeQWxwMo7c4+AgptzgYxtfVYFgvmhDqDkZ426JaOhgmqTB417JcORbidDKOQzixFfo
It14z0eh9hMUiH61QzpYIzVX2JY6wTrxcmzCtMai1iWH0tgazQ25rMEyukwpLbLzg7hD0Tbq5U2BvMnwfQRAsWVV+IDGSb
OrAhCbZ08FGoW7pQOsrKZaOIVhQYem0BRpkXsQI8zF1tf7vOsWy3O5g21btdjCK3uxAamS52cEwdc0OYbPmINjT6wTJURa
wAnOzYOcw7FLtHEwL2c3BIwHZzYFq2slmDo5G8HIICnS6lWMwBTrPixfRgHWVwyuCXZ3c8OCEqv0ORpFdHEwL1cTBY6G2r
ZIuovcyraG1yzCDNatqV4G3puVNHMOsUzVxLI5KNXEKCZVNHI9xZBPHYZzMy5dnaNDJ+uVLA9a2zl/CC/00r5X0yxMUM3K
/g5Nq1H6nACOfZwtbpp5nCzCRFhqGYfzI1q4RLNNCQ7GgqzK+8KYJE9pwhwrCgDbci8aqahMxjlNxcOaoCe1VtYjZhuFHt
DfVigVSyTPaq84Q4whDDWmveIFZdhYLvJDVTtUbjCOMads75FCmtOYejqV1i+EYP6S1KxRzdefZwFwbCrQkMoR1qn1fIIZ
q3xf2Tbbv8V0mJ9v3Cd+tEux75i6T1+37XKCYPKO9qg5zl4ka0l7xErNsL8oGzqowpb3KRgEniuEUyJHUcAo4mVYximOdq
mIlioW6oy1xC8AE3r5nCBtU+75wBVK173FCg2zfF652BtnAx1cyP81opXNaKSyhySGuOpqgNjmluFRHp3CBVTbqCzimqny
Iq4Am2qqDTGHfokr7Eo7q4yz79mPz8VOH3adfRmyaw3752PLs+3H5dD9tTV4e/ttPlw8SeW99amPrlzL+DwdIR+w=

Steel-12 posted:

0eNqdnN1u2zgQhd9F13bBofjr1+jloiicRNsV4MiGrSwaBHn3lZtdI9jOWOfwKogDn3A0h5PxN2TeuofDy3A6j9Pc7d668
fE4XbrdH2/dZfwx7Q/X1+bX09DtunEenrtNN+2fr99d5mE4bP98OU/7x6F733Tj9DT87Hb+fQO+93TYz5/f2b9/23TDNI/
zOHws4dc3r9+nl+eH4dzt5CYwn/fT5XQ8z9uH4TAvwqfjZXnbcbr+ykVqmzbd6/JF+vfrcv6n428643QZzvPy2u8K8aaw6
Z7G8/D48cOk6PXGQ/ldtP/yn6z/ErWlhZvU8/A0vjxvh8Pym8/j4/Z0PGiK4V+9oKnFm9rhOP3Y/rVfHvTT9k7QHg86wcl
w95aYaRk1pQVIqejBeUWuohn1awkVB6ws4CsTIR3S33v64uHHH+89fun5rSmqUOCFvCoUmU0u636X1LDLnWGKjCzO3+Jbd
0Vp3elI5JXeo2pKvKN1VI944u+A3BXyvJAeWU+UH1lPpw9kOkW3ipZNH/naZtjYJ6K2IWFnuhrp6Si0ju6PShejqun0ji9
qThUSoqhVoHHxfE0ruhf6nilpbt0MfWgsaUjcka5Eej7oJkj3R6brkK5T+Hqmx1XxelbXUxlcYzlz66kMQpczw8HB49UMC
bqni5CaixBYHdUbIdI1KKs6idYpqk5u/KSjr6oQ1acAyaNbHjXISHc8anSRb3h0Hb7f0cPq2/ZzWd/OMbR9vNHjjezW0cN
NrIy+mkzvHLVOxULrJFWnEs1EAoCA45uJqJfiJMR2juvbOfnGXgIJu2f3uJqNFFgZ/clFeovrOonW0cPKeCeRgESWtsoTg
TzyzMdwbyaQDxBzFrb8qJnINOrRg+NJj0qMMg96dH7IcJ6wboPcgHl6wwcM5QHQX26FPEjYdMOjZqPQDY9Oc/mGR9fhGx4
9LILvhPVElka8A1D5wtMdw72FgDtIzDTb0TNBox3dGDzZUQlR5cmOSqwqA3YAyFcbwI7oPqgU2AFGK61cBwmb5jp6NvjZl
irDYx1dh8c6elgE1UFmDq4V6wAjB8djHbEGcATXgcKmwY4+oHI02NEnZo4mO4YOTXacrpPxWgZZodC1zLRCbYNOeqDi2iq
ZIFNeugMy1ujJUqZ7g5nvyj2dAJcgxBpCdzuWMwTvdqD05SaMZeSQ7XkMmUrK6Cn0dMujnxjw9GkevYx64jQP0ECL50/zG
B20+IC3Th5ZWuN5HuRYiWd7HiMb7Hkewxx0y2PoVFZHD6t3cN1CPPZpjst0Tkh3go90/Yp7oYlugA3Ws+2OkQmW6Rvnleh
mx3hINNTXz2H1Ba9iEXFYpauYQTMlOLyKAaRJgrRVMYDzS2DbHT0bgWX6xpMLbPUxdGiob4SV4CqGeOzTCJepYgHJY2Grm
OneClcxxGDERDfeyURkmb4eHDPQ/ag+WdehoX7SdRqPLxurinjhAQZ1EtkWxwiSbXGM6OgWx9ChWxw9rNRGc4ABlqS2M8t
6vImdYxnhshTHWA09xqq6Dg1xiq6T8D6iIIeeM91HGMerJBFndCqytNrWRwDHfySzcyw9G8To1t0xR6bHWIYOTXGMsHCKg
3gsx6bKU5E8JraPsNwLDXMDbjCW6RiZYJmOboxCMx3j9kahoY5+6FEKQXWQY6JSeKxj3t4oBNeBLliURrCDnKOWwrY9Vkr
YvsfyCN34WEJ052NEVnG6A3mttuEd5IqEVJrvmDauOOCBjFZZwmOlg0U8hj8qzXiMy22VhjzGnbRKUB7kLo9UHvNYFxW9I
zgPckHUu0bQg1x4844ebBl30ljUY1wpdjTrsYRo2GNFhtMe6N6Ya8M9yKVW72jeY9sYBz6Q0YQlPkY6hEU+hj+EZj761V/
/aaZLwRpLjj3AbOnEJlhgqbFn96863zYf/69g9+lfI2y6w3553/La118GFb+89PdwvnxsmBB8yC65sPTp/wCDaIQy

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 28, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A tip on smelter design: Design your rows of smelters so the input & output belts run in the same direction. That way the first smelter to have ore available is also the first smelter on the output line. Once you start adding productivity modules you can prioritize putting them in the smelters that are always active vs the ones that don't run when you have an input shortage or output saturation.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol if your guide to smelters is more complex than "build as many as you can"

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

fezball posted:

So more like this:

That's how I did my steel smelting. I chose the wasteful option with iron for aesthetic reasons and because what's another row of beacons when you've mastered the power of the atom?

seravid fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 28, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God I haven't played Factorio in so long, all my builds are absolute garbage. It's a mix between neat, organised bus system, and messy, spaghetti awfulness. It's like it manages to be both, but neither one at the same time.

I forgot how I managed to set up my previous game so neatly. I had a 4-width cement road and it had chests lined along the top with all the various stuff I'd ever need, so I could really quickly run up and down it to grab what I want. All the assemblers would be branched above the chests in really sweet rows. I wanna get that again but I forgot how I did it and my old save is deleted.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

vOv posted:

Wouldn't you get the same effect from just restricting the output warehouses to contain one trainload of ore? Even if you try to keep the warehouse full at all times, in the long run you'll only ever be producing plates as fast as you're consuming them once you've filled up all your intermediate storage like warehouses and chests.

Most buildings consume power even when idle. Shutting off the smelting area when it's not needed saves resources in the long run.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I managed to get to blue science and almost turn goon island into a peninsula before accumulated errors made me want to relocate to a new factory. I forgot all the ratios and need to add gears to the bus. Blue science is now super gear thirsty because you need almost as many engine assemblers as you have blue science assemblers.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Reactor talk:

So if I understand the neighbor bonus correctly, 1 reactor can support 4 heat exchangers and 2 can support 4 each plus 100%. So 16?

Also, is it roughly 2 turbines to an exchanger?

At first the whole reactor thing seemed like overkill/resource sink. But my tiny little setup can handle 50MW+ right now and I KNOW it's not an efficient setup. Even pulled my coal engines off the grid for now it's working so well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think it's closer to 2 exchangers to 5 turbines, but my factory doesn't use enough power to test it yet. 1 to 2 wasn't enough turbines, but 1 to 3 was too many.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

vOv posted:

Beacons and furnaces start having huge idle power draws, so its worth it to cut it when theres not enough ore coming in. So for example if a mine dries up. The trains prioritize stations from the left in that setup, so the leftmost bank (I had 16 banks for iron and 9 for copper) is always running, and when I had the time to setup new mines to fully utilize the ones further down the lines. The other reason is that trains don't arrive in a set fashion, so the latching helps make sure that the arrays only turn on when there is a few thousand ore worth smelting.

vOv posted:

Nah, the big reason is that while the rocket parts pull a pretty consistent drain of plates everything else doesn't. You can't be doing everything at once so stockpiling gets important. While you could restrict the warehouse to any number you want theres really no reason too, the math works out the same and you just have less of a buffer stockpile, wasting warehouse space. If I only wanted one traincar full i'd just use chests.

Same kinda setup, plates get dropped off, when green/red/blue circuits don't have a few thousand buffered then the array kicks on and produces another ~10k before switching off again. The upgrade I made to it was to also track how many precurrsors were available, so that blue wouldn't run if red was too low, signaling to me that I needed to get more mines setup to feed the beast.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Place some hazard concrete along those rails you madman

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
After some testing: Turbines work exactly the same as steam engines at boiler steam temperature. They produce 1.8MW (to steam engine's 900kW) while eating twice the fluid. So if you like the way turbines look, it's perfectly ok to upgrade to turbines. Plus, you save some space, since you only need 1 turbine per boiler.

Onean posted:

I think it's closer to 2 exchangers to 5 turbines, but my factory doesn't use enough power to test it yet. 1 to 2 wasn't enough turbines, but 1 to 3 was too many.

It's 60 exchangers to 103 turbines :v:

4:7 works just fine though.

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 28, 2017

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I found this on the internet recently as an end-game setup:

I've not had a chance to test it, but it's apparently able to output a compressed blue belt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Finally built my first uranium mine/centrifuge setup. I love how the whole thing looks like something out of Fallout with the gentle green glow over the ore, and the far stronger green glow around the centrifuges.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nevets posted:

A tip on smelter design: Design your rows of smelters so the input & output belts run in the same direction. That way the first smelter to have ore available is also the first smelter on the output line. Once you start adding productivity modules you can prioritize putting them in the smelters that are always active vs the ones that don't run when you have an input shortage or output saturation.

I still prefer opposite direction input/output lines so I can have the body of the smelter line hang away from the factory, extending as needed.

But I also co-belt ore and coal. Once I get electrics I just kind of rebuild into my standard bus-belt configuration.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Onean posted:

Blueprints at the start of the game are just guidelines so you don't have to redesign your setups on every map. Then you unlock the personal roboport (fairly easily in comparison to .14, really) and it's away to the races.

The devs have mentioned they're considering some early game robot tech, but they didn't have anything for .15.

Personal roboport seems like it would be hell to charge just relying off personal solar panels and batteries. Can you confirm if that is(n't) the case?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I still don't understand the point of the warehouse mod. The important thing in Factorio is the rate at which you produce/consume, not the amount.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This mod popped up today and gave me a giggle when I read the description:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Identitools/CleanerConcrete

"Kill all decorations when putting concrete or stone bricks, because gently caress anything that is green!"

GotLag posted:

I still don't understand the point of the warehouse mod. The important thing in Factorio is the rate at which you produce/consume, not the amount.

They are conveniently sized for medium poles to cover all the sides without taking any space. Then you can build all sorts of hideous crap round them and "share" the storage. And while the rate is the important part, having a huge buffer to ignore things like ore patches running dry while you do something else is handy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
it's a lot less hassle to set one storehouse or warehouse than dealing with all the individual containers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GotLag posted:

Sometimes I look at a container with half a million steel plate in it and think, I'm rich!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Chakan posted:

it's a lot less hassle to set one storehouse or warehouse than dealing with all the individual containers.

They're also perfectly sized for trains! Eliminates balancing loading of chests so that the unload evenly into the wagon.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

They are conveniently sized for medium poles to cover all the sides without taking any space. Then you can build all sorts of hideous crap round them and "share" the storage. And while the rate is the important part, having a huge buffer to ignore things like ore patches running dry while you do something else is handy.

That's like getting excited for a tax return. It was your money all along, you just loaned it interest-free.

Edit: a mod to remove all bushes/decorations when placing concrete, rather than just 25%: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Identitools/CleanerConcrete

GotLag fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a pretty obscene degree of stock piling you can do without any major opportunity cost. I balk at the sort of stockpiles and unrestricted production of miscellaneous usables or ploppables no one could use inside of a week of gameplay and try to run things lean but I have come to recognize that in that aspect I am the weirdo.